Home Technical Talk

Question about Zbrush materials and subtools

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
artquest polycounter lvl 13
How in the world do you find out what material is currently applied to a subtool? I have a minor problem where I had my shader setup finished, I applied it to a subtool, and saved my .ztool.

Problem is, before I could save my material zbrush crashed on me. So my subtool is now behaving oddly(I assume it's looking for the shader I never got to save.) Things seem to break if I try to clear the material and apply a new mat. I'd like to be able to tell what is currently applied to it so I can just edit the modifiers again.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Picker Palette. Click on the material thumbnail, and drag it somewhere on the canvas. It should update to whatever point you're on.

Edit: Actually, it would seem clicking on the normal material thumbnail and dragging that around the canvas has the same effect.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but you can just reset the material assignment. Select the Flat Color material, and set your brush to M (as opposed to RGB or MRGB), with both Zadd and Zsub off, Rgb Intensity to 100, and finally under the color menu hit Fill Object.

That will remove the material assignment from the subtool. Then you can apply whatever other material you want.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    cryrid wrote: »
    Picker Palette. Click on the material thumbnail, and drag it somewhere on the canvas. It should update to whatever point you're on.

Edit: Actually, it would seem clicking on the normal material thumbnail and dragging that around the canvas has the same effect.

hrmm I'll give this a shot.
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but you can just reset the material assignment. Select the Flat Color material, and set your brush to M (as opposed to RGB or MRGB), with both Zadd and Zsub off, Rgb Intensity to 100, and finally under the color menu hit Fill Object.

That will remove the material assignment from the subtool. Then you can apply whatever other material you want.

I've already tried that, seems to bug out for some reason. (probably related to zbrush crashing. I happened to be trying to save a zproject when everything blew up.)

All I need is a fast way to find out what material is currently applied to a subtool.

EDIT: ohh awesome!! it worked. thx cryid.

On a side note... it never ceases to amaze me how simple and yet un-userfriendly zbrush is. I should have known that it would work the same was as the color picker LOL... bah perhaps the problem is just with the user :P
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Sometimes you just have to go through the palettes and ctrl-hover all the things :P