Home General Discussion

The Polycount Hub (Proof of Concept)

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    channel both for instant critique and guidance, and for just some chat and socializing with other polycounters.

Sounds like the polycount irc channel that's been up for 10+ years
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Without voip and a browser it's a lot less appealing. Polycount is already more functional than a wordpress site with a chat.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Sythen wrote: »
    Yes we could create an IRC, but the community would need to download an IRC Client just to access it
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    If you guys want a place to hang out why not just create a #polycount IRC channel? I'd definitely hang out in such channel if it existed.

THIS is why the IRC channel needs to be right up there in the corner next to twitter and shop.

Polycount DOES have an IRC and it is nearly always active. It is very easy to join and there is even a web client.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Before you commit serious resources to this, you should figure out definitively what issues or needs you're trying to solve with the hub. Right now it comes across as something involving Skype or chat, and with portfolios, and people can offer critiques, and other people can show video workflows, and basically I'm not really sure why the hub needs to exist because it sounds an awful lot like Polycount but with some added features and Skype integration. And I can tell you right now that game artists don't need another portfolio site -- in addition to places like CGHub and CGSociety and DeviantArt, most people host their own Wordpress install or Tumblr or Blogger or use basic hosting. I can't think of a single person I've talked to who wishes Polycount had a portfolio system.

I do think your idea has potential to contribute to the community and I'm not averse to new ideas or change, but you really need to focus on one thing that Polycount doesn't have that could be helpful. Many of us have so many different forums and social media obligations that a haphazard "hub" site with vaguely defined features isn't going to attract much interest. Polycount already serves as a pretty effective hub for game artists.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    fearian wrote: »
    THIS is why the IRC channel needs to be right up there in the corner next to twitter and shop.

Polycount DOES have an IRC and it is nearly always active. It is very easy to join and there is even a web client.

uhh I never knew about that :P The admins should definitely give it more exposure!

I'll start hanging out there once I get a computer here.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    the guy wants to redesign polcount...

Whoa... is that the real motive here? :p

I'm kind of meh about this whole hub idea since my main use of Polycount is as a great big searchable archive of game art knowledge. Social media features add nothing to that. It's even the opposite, since you have to be around to catch any of it. I guess for you folks you actively hang out here, having to wait for replies on a forum isn't instant enough?

The only thing that sells me on this is the livestream demos ala CA.org but I'd always miss them since I'm on the other side of the globe from most PC'ers.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    I find opinions of this Polycount Hub to be a bit problematic.
    Some users like it were as some do not. But please note that this Polycount Hub is not set to replace Polycount, rather be an extended portion of the site that some users may find a use out of.

Essentially the concept behind the hub is to make critique, and artwork the centre of the site. Personally for me, when I look at the forum I see a wall of text, and it seems to me like a lot of users don't like to wait for someone to post critique. At the very least with the chat you can see if users are online or not.

A valid point was made about the Interlopers Portfolio system. Though once that system was added it was rarely spoken about. I do have ideas in mind to integrate the Portfolio system so that it becomes a main point to the website. These ideas hopefully, will do Portfolio systems better than Interlopers had.

Like I said, think of it as an addon to the website, some users will love to use it. Others don't. The point is, the objective of Polycount Hub is not to replace Polycount, rather help parts of the community that would like to use it.

- Sythen.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe wrote: »
    Before you commit serious resources to this, you should figure out definitively what issues or needs you're trying to solve with the hub. Right now it comes across as something involving Skype or chat, and with portfolios, and people can offer critiques, and other people can show video workflows, and basically I'm not really sure why the hub needs to exist because it sounds an awful lot like Polycount but with some added features and Skype integration. And I can tell you right now that game artists don't need another portfolio site -- in addition to places like CGHub and CGSociety and DeviantArt, most people host their own Wordpress install or Tumblr or Blogger or use basic hosting. I can't think of a single person I've talked to who wishes Polycount had a portfolio system.

I do think your idea has potential to contribute to the community and I'm not averse to new ideas or change, but you really need to focus on one thing that Polycount doesn't have that could be helpful. Many of us have so many different forums and social media obligations that a haphazard "hub" site with vaguely defined features isn't going to attract much interest. Polycount already serves as a pretty effective hub for game artists.

Polycount does serve as a Hub for Game Artists. I personally just don't think a forum (with todays' technology) is the best way of using what we already have.

Like I said in the post above, this is a feature website that will be some use to some of Polycount users, not all of them. And I believe that the hub concept that I have will allow users to integrate their own work with others, and get their opinions and critique instantly.

- Sythen.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    so hows this going
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Abandoned because it's a stupid idea
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »
    Abandoned because it's a stupid idea

I'm sorry but your answer is just as valid as saying, "I don't play videogames, because they're stupid." Without giving a valid reason.

Unless you have something productive to say - then leave it out ;)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Sythen wrote: »
    I'm sorry but your answer is just as valid as saying, "I don't play videogames, because they're stupid." Without giving a valid reason.

Unless you have something productive to say - then leave it out ;)

Because its your idea :p

heh heh heh !!

Nah just messing around, I thought you guys were half way done. If you require any programming help for this do let me know sir Sythen and I'll do my level best. =\
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I tend to think that thread thumbnails and a CGhub-like forum front page would have to take priority over this :D
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    pior wrote: »
    I tend to think that thread thumbnails and a CGhub-like forum front page would have to take priority over this :D
    +1

It would be awesome for a Thumbnail kinda thing for the Pimp and Preview threads, where it shows the first image in the first post.

Hell, I would even settle for a plugin/script for the browser at this point...