Home General Discussion

Tribes Ascend

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    passerby wrote: »
    no they dont, i rack up credits fast, just spaming as jug or dueling people with solider gets me points faster than just constantly repairing shit.

though i do agree the points gained for different actions is messed up, iv come in 10th place or worse some games when i was the person who capped all 5 flags.

Same. Although perhaps this is good in some ways as it may encourage people to fulfil other necessary roles instead of all trying to grab the flag so they can top the scoreboard.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Same. Although perhaps this is good in some ways as it may encourage people to fulfil other necessary roles instead of all trying to grab the flag so they can top the scoreboard.

how so, the objective is capture the flag, so getting all the caps should yeild more points than just spamming shit with a juggernaut.

it is possible to be completely useless to your team and score higher than anyone else in the game, which i think is wrong
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean along the lines of it's better to have 2 guys going for the flag with 2 others harassing defenses than having 4 guys going for the flag and getting torn apart.

Not saying the system is flawless at the moment, just saying some aspects may not be bad, or just need some tweaking.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Fixed the weird desktop minimize bug somehow and all I have to say is... JUGGERNAUT SPAM!

Seriously, artillery carnage all the way.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Started playing this last night. I was very happy that it felt like the Tribes I played so long ago.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean along the lines of it's better to have 2 guys going for the flag with 2 others harassing defenses than having 4 guys going for the flag and getting torn apart.

Not saying the system is flawless at the moment, just saying some aspects may not be bad, or just need some tweaking.

ah ya agreed, that does need to be fixed kinda messed up when i get no points for clearing off 8 mines, 4 light turrets and a forcefield or 2, clearing a path for the teams pathfinder to easily grab a flag.

one of those things that will have to be fine tuned, but it olny matters as far as pub games go, to encourage proper play. Since in comp games, people dont care for individual points and just play the roles the team asks.
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neolight polycounter lvl 10
    This has been my primary time waster since beta

add me: Neolight
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    If I'm not mistaken, you also don't get credits for damaging or destroying deployables, which means that attacking them doesn't get you anywhere in terms of being able to afford vehicles or strikes, or (more importantly) upgrading base defences.

Speaking of which, does anyone else think the vehicles aren't all that useful for the investment they represent?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, you also don't get credits for damaging or destroying deployables, which means that attacking them doesn't get you anywhere in terms of being able to afford vehicles or strikes, or (more importantly) upgrading base defences.

Speaking of which, does anyone else think the vehicles aren't all that useful for the investment they represent?

ya you get nothing, for taking out deployables, even know it is a huge help to your teams cappers.

for veiahclse, it depends on how you use them

grav cycle is useless, but the beowolf can be good for bombarding the enemy flag stand, and shrikes are good for chasing enemy flag grabbers.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting nothing for it is a bit naff really, since busting deployable turrets is a pretty important job in CTF doubly so in Capture and Hold.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    played briefly last night, but couldnt get into it really. I guess i was hoping for something like the first tribes, just seemed like no team effort, no massive vehicle attacks, and in general it just felt like a ut3 mod.

i'l give it another shot tonight prolly
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the same thing until I saw them in the hands of some good players. I recommend digging up some videos of competitive games. They have a huge imapct on the way the games are played in the higher ranked matches.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I like this game a lot. But fractal grenades rarrhhgrhghrhgrhgh. Dropped 20 bucks.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fractal grenades are fucking ridiculous. Colossal radius and the area of effect stays for something like 5 seconds or more? Thankfully they don't kill instantly, but it's usually pretty hard to get away from them :(
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I thought the same thing until I saw them in the hands of some good players. I recommend digging up some videos of competitive games. They have a huge imapct on the way the games are played in the higher ranked matches.

I watched a few just now, but didn't see a single vehicle being used.

New patch is out, already come up against people playing with the plasma gun and assault rifle combo. The new plasma gun is pretty nasty; it's basically a rapid fire spinfusor with 3/4 splash and damage. The new map isn't really new, but I did enjoy it. First time bothering playing pathfinder in Capture and Hold for ages :D
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was just playing myself and there was atleast one person with the plasma gun and new smg. Found it a bit overpowered from my brief experience.

Shrikes seem to be the most useful vehicle, mainly for chasing. Bikes I rarely see, tanks don't tend to last long. Do miss transports and flare grenades etc. from Tribes 2 :(
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loads of people have it - I pesonally can't see myself dropping £10 on an in-game weapon any time soon...
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    there monitization for this game is horrible 10-20 dollars on skins really? thats almost as much as a game, Although Hi-Rez does need to make some money off this game i would have easily dropped around 5 dollars on the pack but i cant justify spending 20 dollars for 2 skins and 2 weapons there are full games that cost less :(

If those packs were cheaper im sure not only would more people buy them but im guessing in the long run Hi-rez would be making way more money off of it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You needn't pay for the entirety of the premium pack. You can buy all of the skins and weapons individually as you see fit. Or you can just earn your weapons and not pay for them if you'd prefer.

I threw down money a while back simply because I wanted to give some cash back to a developer who'd given me a lot of fun.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    29 USD gets you about 3K Gold with 30 Day XP boost and (as with any Gold buying) a VIP status.

So yeah, I don't see it as horrible as people make it out to be, what I do find horrible is me having to grind the same shitty 3-4 maps over and over again in any given mode to rack up 100K EXP so I can buy my bloody stupid Mortar, and the worst part is, you can use Gold to buy the gear, but can't use it to upgrade later on.

Besides that rant, anyone knows which class is best suited for defensive kills? I mean so far Jugger fits the role, but the weapon ranking is abit outrageous, while the Doom's class is pretty crap as far as secondary weapons go, I'm tempted to get me the Raider class since it has decent heavy weapons and rifles, but the expenses to keep that class running also seem quite high.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider with gl and some player skill is VERY suited for defense.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd recommend avoiding the XP booster until your skills are getting decent. I grabbed it early on and pretty much screwed myself over - went through the ranks super fast and wound up stuck in matches with way better players while was still getting a handle of skiing effectively. Wound up abandoning that character and starting again from scratch.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I see, thanks a bunch guys!

Oh, one more question, what is a 'Blue' Plate Special? I end up getting a couple of them at the end of a match but can't figure based upon what, is it for players who use the blue spinner?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hit an airborne player with a spinfusor.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You needn't pay for the entirety of the premium pack. You can buy all of the skins and weapons individually as you see fit. Or you can just earn your weapons and not pay for them if you'd prefer.

Buying them all individually costs nearly twice as much, and the grind to get the XP for them easily constitutes 100+ hours of play (~250000 XP, wtf? - I get around 1000 XP per game...).
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    29 USD gets you about 3K Gold with 30 Day XP boost and (as with any Gold buying) a VIP status. So yeah, I don't see it as horrible as people make it out to be

3K gold is enough to unlock four weapons - $30 for four weapons isn't amazing value for money. FYI, XP boosts are worthless unless you play constantly - I'll explain why later.
    and the worst part is, you can use Gold to buy the gear, but can't use it to upgrade later on.

No, the worst part is you have to unlock each perk, then upgrade it for each class individually. I was gutted when I worked that one out - with eighteen locked perks and nine classes that makes 162 perks (160G/18000XP to unlock + 17200XP to upgrade).

To do the maths, that's just under 26,000 gold or 3 million XP to unlock them, then 2 3/4 million XP to upgrade them.
    Besides that rant, anyone knows which class is best suited for defensive kills? I mean so far Jugger fits the role, but the weapon ranking is abit outrageous, while the Doom's class is pretty crap as far as secondary weapons go, I'm tempted to get me the Raider class since it has decent heavy weapons and rifles, but the expenses to keep that class running also seem quite high.

I use the Technician to great effect; you can deploy two turrets (and carry a spare to deploy as soon as one is destroyed) and carry 3 grenades. In most levels there are plenty of places to place turrets near objectives, and an ammo source nearby. The other option is a heavy class other than the Doombringer, whose spinfusors are pretty nasty at shorter ranges (and as heavies they risk suicide / instadeath from enemy fire) much less). The Doombringer is good for spattering flag cappers at moderate range, but imho, lacks any real killing power. It's secondary weapon is useful in only a couple of maps, since noone uses vehicles anyway.
    I'd recommend avoiding the XP booster until your skills are getting decent. I grabbed it early on and pretty much screwed myself over - went through the ranks super fast and wound up stuck in matches with way better players while was still getting a handle of skiing effectively. Wound up abandoning that character and starting again from scratch.

Don't get the XP booster at all. The ratio of Gold to XP in price is approximately 150-1; if you get the 1-day booster (240 G) you will have to earn 36000 XP to get your investment back - good luck getting 36000 XP in a day. The only booster that gives a reasonable return is the 90-day booster (2400 G), but this means you have to earn 360,000 XP to get back your investment - which is still 4000 XP per day. 4000 XP is a lot of hours of gameplay, every day without fail.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've found the sabre launcher for the doombringer to be pretty decent even without vehicles. It locks onto airborne targets so it forces people to keep low to the ground or risk getting a missile after them, and can also help you see incoming targets as it tries to lock onto anyone within sight.

Would rather have a heavy spinfusor instead of the chaingun though.

Perhaps looking at buying (real money) all the unlocks isn't the best way to view the game, as in games like COD you can't buy all the weapon/attachments/perks unlocks either (unless they changed things in the last one....I haven't played it). Some things do seem a bit expensive though, for what you get.

A problem I do have is that this method being used locks down the classes, whereas in Tribes 2 you could customise much more.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mongrelman saber is still useless, heavy classes wont spend enough time in air to get a lock on, and light classes will outrun the rockets or break los to make it crash or shoot it down. As someone that plays path finder i just ignore them unless im airborn for a long time, in which case i just pull the ar out and shoot them down.

and you can switch the chaingun out for a heavy bolt launcher, which does nasty amounts of damage on a direct hit.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps looking at buying (real money) all the unlocks isn't the best way to view the game, as in games like COD you can't buy all the weapon/attachments/perks unlocks either (unless they changed things in the last one....I haven't played it). Some things do seem a bit expensive though, for what you get.

It would take me a month of dedicated grind, investing several hours a day to unlock a single weapon if I didn't buy it - 100000 XP is a silly quantity. 780 G (£7 GBP) is also a fantastically silly amount of money for a single in game weapon.

Then you have to grind again just to get the upgrades for it.

Edit: Why playing against people who paid for the plasma gun sucks:
    jSEAJ.gif

Rapid-firing spinfusor with projectiles that explode in close proximity! Thanks Hi-Rez!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    Ugh, I was wondering why my fully upgraded heavy was being shot to death with certain matches in under seconds without any Spin's being shot at me :/

If Hi-Rez doesn't fix this issue, I think I will uninstall the game within the week. I'm serious, how did this get through QA? Medium Armor class, which can have end-game heavy armor, with insane damage dealing weapons. Thanks Amber, you made me save a good chunk of money.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, the worst part is you have to unlock each perk, then upgrade it for each class individually. I was gutted when I worked that one out - with eighteen locked perks and nine classes that makes 162 perks (160G/18000XP to unlock + 17200XP to upgrade).

To do the maths, that's just under 26,000 gold or 3 million XP to unlock them, then 2 3/4 million XP to upgrade them.
    There are 18 perks, total. If you unlock one you can use it across all of the classes
    Don't get the XP booster at all. The ratio of Gold to XP in price is approximately 150-1; if you get the 1-day booster (240 G) you will have to earn 36000 XP to get your investment back...
    The $30 gold pack comes with a month of XP doubler.

You clearly have issues with the monetisation here, which is fine, but like I said, I gave the developers some cash because I wanted to support them.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not an issue with monetisation - that's pure sense. It is not worth purchasing the XP boosts because the amount of XP you will earn back is worth less than the Gold you spent getting the boost. Of course you can't upgrade things with Gold, but that's a different matter; when it comes to the unlocks that do (e.g alternative weapons that cost tens or hundreds of thousands of XP), it is not worth the booster.

Yes the $30 pack comes with a month of XP boost, which isn't so bad - but the XP boosters you cna buy for Gold are not worth taking unless you're grinding unlocks that can't be bought for Gold - and all of those don't take much grinding, so why bother.

Also, I unlocked two perks yesterday and can definitely only use them in the class I unlocked them in - I just tried now.

For the record, I did buy enough gold to unlock all the classes right off the bat, because I've been enjoying the game. I'm not going to pay £7 a piece for individual weapons though, because that's retarded. If I could drop £30 (the price of a standard retail PC game) to get everything (save the upgrades perhaps, because gold doesn't unlock them) - I quite possibly would. Unfortunately, to get everything I'd have to drop over £100; the cost of THREE standard retail games. It's not exactly bang-for-buck.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    bin playing it for a few months on and off
    add me : daVahl
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Destructoid are giving away codes to unlock the spinfusor for the soldier class if you want to head over there now :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I shall add you up vahl!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plasma gun is, in my experience so far, pretty damn easy to fight against. It's an effective weapon, but it does nowhere near the damage of the thumper or spinfusor, and way less knockback makes it easier to dodge. I'd rather take 500 a hit and get bumped away a little than 900 and juggled up into the air for an easy finish. The guy in that gif wouldve been pasted by pretty much any class, he was soaring at relatively slow speed right torward a wall!

My 20 dollars bought me all the stuff I actually wanted, and the free content that's NOT punitively priced (namely, the 7k xp and lower classes) is all awesome.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I use the thumper/soldier and i have been ranking 1st most of the games with an average of 15-20 kills and between 2 and 3 deaths per game. I also tend to go into fights of me vs 4 of them, except when i see the big dudes that take like 5 hits to take them down.

I have not tried any of the other guns. But i am pretty happy with the thumper and the regular gun that i have as default.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mini thumper that the soldier gets is actually the worst explosive weapon in the game, afaik, statswise -- lowest damage and fire rate. But so satisfying and fun to use!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the Thumper is one of the weaker weapons.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the problem stems from the lack of balance at the start of the game and limited set of weapons you have access to overall in the game and the classes.

You get ALOT of EXP if you kill over 10 people, so Defenders like me, don't get much action to share in, especially if your team kites and bomb runs effectively the opponents base, and all it takes is one Techy to enter you generator room, bang it up and voila, easy flag capture with empty base (I actually ended up killing over 30 peeps in a Flag game, and got over 2K EXP during my 'run'), so yeah, bad balance is bad.

And no, fixing hardware doesn't give me anything, even blowing up hardware gives me next to nothing, and cash isn't an issue, since I rake up in the 10K on average, flags aren't compensated properly, nor is capping points.

The weapons are also ridiculous to unlock, some classes don't even have a second weapon option since it's locked to one weapon, I want to be an explosive defender, so Chain and Mortar would be nice for me, but no class has that combo, OK, fine, how about something else? I need to over 100K EXP and, OR I go with a Class that has a Launcher that takes time to lock on and is slow.

Armor is another issue, the speed disparity based upon armor rating for Heavies and Medium is very weird to say the least, you would expect values to follow a standard of Light = 1 speed, Medium = 0.75 and Heavy = 0.5, but they feel more of a exponent then linear speed gain from class to class. In some cases my Medium class ended up moving slower then my heavy! How is that even possible?

Raider isn't over powered, but the learning curve is much easier, giving people a considerable advantage if they have access to it right off the bat, and can make matches unbalanced, and by the time your learned your stuff, the Raider has already learned his stuff ages ago because he wasn't dieing in a duel every 5 seconds.

Lets put it this way, you're in a team with mainly new players, and the other team has 2 players who are Raiders, even with basic gears, they will wipe out the floor with everyone, and the lack of 'precise' needs in some of their weapons (spray, cling bombs, EMP) does much for them.

I found myself having to tag several times the other team as a defender because I was the only one able to take the punishment from other Raiders, 500 per hit is no joke when more then one Raider is involved, hell, I had to run for the flag because no one else wanted to get nuked by the Raiders.

The game need some new content ASAP, not a new class which costs money to quick up on it. I mean new weapons and gear with more entry level options, because currently, the options are shameful, limited and don't help against any 'leveled' up classes with some of their more 'armed' gears.

Also, allow us to custom the Perk right off the bat, hard locking us into a set Perk and not allowing character transfer only aggravates the issue.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace! Give the game a LITTLE more time before you complain about balance. A lot of it feels weird when you're just starting out. Just practice the game. I Think the issues you're having with class weight and team imbalance just come from inexperience and playing on the lower matchmade servers.

I can run down newer pathfinders as a juggernaut no problem. It's not pure speed, it's boost and weight -- skiing properly is a huge equalizer. The Raider especially has to be VERY precise, as soon as you start running into players who can actually ski you aren't going to hit anyone with the sticky launcher. I'm pretty sure i've been killed by it only once -- it's virtually worthless as a dueling weapon once you get your ski legs. It just takes a period of adjustment.

As for defense, skilled infiltrators and brutes will make the job you presently find OP a pretty tooth and nail battle.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have any problems coming up against players with the sticky launcher, unless I'm in a confined space (then three widely spread explosive projectiles become a problem).

The weapon balance is off, and there are too few options as a beginner - but you do learn to quickly overcome it and as soon as you get into games that don't consist entirely of players ranked less than '5', the game picks up.

Also, you can totally get more than 10 kills as a defender. I usually get around 15-20 per game as a Technician - I mostly play Capture and Hold.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    In Tribes, the spinfusor should be your primary weapon. Sadly, you aren't provided with one by default, which I think is a shame. The plasma never had splash damage like what ambershee posted.

The best part of tribes, was the diversity of the weapons. Each had it's own purpose (typically against certain classes or vehicles). The spinfusor was your primary, all around, weapon. That has not been my experience so far though.

In reference to the earlier conversations, I hate that the vehicles are not openly available. Previously, it would be limited by how many were on the field (which could be controlled server side). Earning points to use the vehicle, is just terrible to me. I play Tribes 2 with a buddy every Friday, and we love grabbing a tank together, and providing ground support.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earning points for using orbital strikes is the most hilarious. In a single good strike, you can earn nearly half the credits to get the next one. Thankfully people aren't always stupid enough to bunch up enough to do that though.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Been playing this a good bit (crazyfingers619 if anyone wants to add). It's definitely a mixed bag, some things are better over the previous titles some things could use a bit more work. I have 2 major gripes with the game outside minor class nit picking.

1. Base upkeep and assaulting:
    Power generators and towers don't really affect the game at a higher level of play. In prior tribes you HAD to keep your generators up to get your packs and change class. Now it just turns off your turrets, which aren't going to stop a decent flag grabber anyway. Just feels like 75% of this game is built up to not serve as much of a purpose as it could. I'd love to see 2 two generators per side spread out across each base. Maybe having 1 taken out would behave as it does currently, having both generators taken out only limits your side to spawning as engineers (to repair) and soldiers or something. This would bring back the more dynamic gameplay of the original tribes where taking out a generator was more epic and important at times than capping the flag.

2. Flag capping feels too random
    Probably has a lot to do with the above issue, but when i'm carrying a flag, I'm just praying the stars align and the right window opens up that i happen to be near the flag stand when the enemy team drops our flag. Do you stay near your flag stand so you can cap it soon as the flag drops? In this case more often than not you're the flag carrier to die. If you skii around and maintain a high speed by taking skii routes away from the flag stand, the enemy team will pick up your flag the moment it's returned. It just doesn't feel right, too much random chance.

Final Gripe: I want unlocks to be OP, but actually make use of the resource system in the game.
    I'll be honest, When i'm playing a game with unlocks, I want some of them to kick ass, I want them to be obviously better than other weapons. I think it'd be bitchen if the plasma gun was totally OP, but what if you had to have your generator up to buy it, and had to use resources that u usually spend on orbital strikes and such. I want to unlock a class that Costs me 10000 points (more than a shrike) to spawn as, but has like +400% hp and is larger than anything on the field. I want these updates to mix shit up and expand the game in exciting new ways.

The current free model just doesn't excite me, feels like i'm grinding just to be moderate in a new sort of way. Look at Moba games, think of the items you can buy in a moba game as the sort of thing you could unlock to buy by spending points. Anyway, that's just my take on it. Not saying the games bad, I play the shit out of it here and there, but I feel it could use more depth and staying power.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Base upkeep and assaulting:
    Power generators and towers don't really affect the game at a higher level of play. In prior tribes you HAD to keep your generators up to get your packs and change class. Now it just turns off your turrets, which aren't going to stop a decent flag grabber anyway.

It also turns off any deployables your team is using and prevents you from buying vehicles, but not from buying strikes. If you're using light turrets (which are good at helping stop flag cappers - whittling valuable health before their getaway), shields or mines, (or motion sensors, or any other deployable) they will stop working when the generator is down. The deployable shields don't take enough damage to be worth using generally though - two / three hits with a weapon and they're gone.

I wouldn't mind seeing more useful deployables, like a UT3 style 'slow field', or an 'energy sapper' that sucks energy from enemies that are too close, preventing their escape with the flag. Stuff like that would be really meaningful versus flag cappers, and as deployables would also rely on the generator. I also wouldn't mind the vehicles getting a control scheme overhaul and being made a wee bit more useful.

I do agree about the main turrets though. I get nailed by them all the time, but that's just because my approach is often too linear and they predict me. A good player will just fly straight past them.
    Just feels like 75% of this game is built up to not serve as much of a purpose as it could. I'd love to see 2 two generators per side spread out across each base. Maybe having 1 taken out would behave as it does currently, having both generators taken out only limits your side to spawning as engineers (to repair) and soldiers or something. This would bring back the more dynamic gameplay of the original tribes where taking out a generator was more epic and important at times than capping the flag.

Limiting players because the generator is down isn't too hot, especially as people invest real money into their loadouts only to find they can't use them because their other team members aren't pulling their weight. It would be better to do something like incorporate it into the level design - for example you could put up a massive shield in front of the flag stand (so you can't clear deployables or enemies in proximity).
    2. Flag capping feels too random
    Probably has a lot to do with the above issue, but when i'm carrying a flag, I'm just praying the stars align and the right window opens up that i happen to be near the flag stand when the enemy team drops our flag.

This feels like a problem with the players more than anything else. It's too easy to cap the flag for a number of reasons at present - one of which is players who aren't too capable in defence - the other issue being that there's nothing that makes it significantly difficult for people to cap the flag at speed either. The result is that the flag spends more time out of the stand than in it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the gen has a huge effect on defense for 1 reason.

the radar, when upgraded to mk4, it lets your def and HoF see people coming in from miles away and prepare for it.

also @ambershee mines work with no power, and motion sensors do sap engery, the problem is that a capper on a good route doesn't need energy right after a grab since he is prolly moving at 200+ and has momentum to get through till energy recharges.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I stand corrected!

I've never actually seen anyone use a motion sensor though. I think the problem is that the light turret is a much better option in almost every scenario.

A capper with no energy that didn't get a perfect run (deflected by spinfusor or whatever) is a dead capper; whereas a capper with energy can sometimes still get away.

Mark 4 radar is nice, but in most maps you can get a good visual on potential cappers way before they get to the flag base anyway.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya they drain energy, but are mostly used in areas with inf's and radiars attacking since being one of those classes with no energy means our shield dropping or falling out of cloak, and being eaten by turrets.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Glad to see people in my old neighborhood playing a game I worked on. :) Thanks for the support. In regards to the plasma gun, yes it's been clearly stated that it's overpowered and that's not because we decided to make it op, it was just a fuck up on our part. It will be getting adjusted very soon. We have some growing pains relating to finishing up the project and pushing out patches extremely fast.

We crunched hard to get this game out and now we're crunching just as hard to hit the first few updates, so there are bound to be moments where the ball gets dropped. We'll fix it and hopefully everybody will stick around while we get acclimated to pushing these patches out at a good pace.

Also, the motion sensor goes in your belt slot, not your pack slot. ;) So it can be used with the light turrets.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool.

Now tell us, where in th game did you sneek in Greentooth?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't yet. :( I'll sneak him in on the thing i'm currently working on. :)