Home General Discussion

Tribes Ascend

polycounter lvl 13

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya i got into beta today, and played the hell out of tribes 1 and 2.

the gameplay feels right, but i think high res will break it with there pay model, since previous tribes titles of tribes, have been extremely competitive, so having to pay for skills/xp is pretty retarded considering how long it takes to get that by other means.

though i have noticed solider levels quicker than most classes since it gets a nice bonus for kills and kills are easy to get with solly, so you can start on solly level like hell than share the xp with the class you want to play.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in the beta, but can't play it. The game crushes my PC, and creates a laggy mouse just on the menu alone. I guess I need a video card upgrade, but honestly, I think my current hardware should have been able to handle it.

I'm probably the hardest core Tribes player on these forums, and I'm really disappointed so far. I really want the franchise to return, but not at the cost of everything that made the series great :-(
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what kinda card do you got, im get a ok fps at 1680x1050, with medium settings on a cheap gefore 9500.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe I have a Geforce 5600 GT, running 1920x1080 dual screen, originally. Then I switched to one screen. Then I lowered the resolution. Then turned down graphics. I have a core 2 duo processor, but can't remember the speed right now. Still, I know I don't have the highest end PC, but I personally think it should be playable at minimum.

I originally tried on my i3 powered laptop, but it only has the built in Intel HD video. It ran almost identical, and at that time, I figured it was the video card. That's why I finally installed it on my desktop, expecting it to run. It only had a minor improvement :/

I do plan on buying a new video card after Christmas though, to support a DVI/HDMI output for each of my monitors, since the current one only supports one with DVI, and one with VGA. I'll give the game a try again once I get the card.

To me, while it looks graphically nice, it doesn't appear to have the graphic complexity of most other games that require specs that I feel I'm trying to fulfill.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    We are currently working on the low end spec, Notman. Sorry for your troubles. :(

If any other PCer's need keys contact me or go to our facebook page. I think there is a way to get a key just by liking the page. Send me feedback if you like. :) I'll be happy to listen.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, glad to see a PC'r on the project. Can you push for mod support in your meetings? ;)

I support the TAC mod, which has existed in every PC version of Tribes. Even when T:V wasn't modible, I made a working version of our mod, but it required temporarily replacing files. We've been desperate to find a new game to move our mod to. We still play it on Tribes 2, every Friday night, but obviously, the game is getting very dated now, and the support for the game continues to dwindle :(
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I think there is a way to get a key just by liking the page. Send me feedback if you like. :) I'll be happy to listen.

Oh yeah that's pretty cool, just like and then go on the Beta Key catagory, can do everything from the facebook alone.

Look forward to trying it out.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there any plans to allow custom content and maps, from the community?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    is there any plans to allow custom content and maps, from the community?

So far the answer has been no, unless the game is extremely successful, but maybe Sean has heard something different.

Personally, I'd like to see them add community submitted content as part of their business model. Let the community develop maps, and sell them in a marketplace for the game. Let the submitter get a cut, and Hi-rez too. It's basically free money for Hi-rez, since they wouldn't put any labor into it and they would be able to claim 'more maps' than most other games, and the community would get the maps they want.
    I'd love that to extend to mods and custom models too.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    So far the answer has been no, unless the game is extremely successful, but maybe Sean has heard something different.

Personally, I'd like to see them add community submitted content as part of their business model. Let the community develop maps, and sell them in a marketplace for the game. Let the submitter get a cut, and Hi-rez too. It's basically free money for Hi-rez, since they wouldn't put any labor into it and they would be able to claim 'more maps' than most other games, and the community would get the maps they want.
    I'd love that to extend to mods and custom models too.

ya think that would be ideal too especially since it;s a udk game, so there is a good content pipeline and the editor and tools are freely available and lots of people got experience with it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    downloading now! never played any tribes, hope its fun :P
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no other game offers what Tribes offers. Having jetpacks creates a whole new challenge/experience. It can be a bit difficult to master though.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya been playing a bit, taking a whilke to get used to air control feel differnt somehow from previous ones
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    no other game offers what Tribes offers. Having jetpacks creates a whole new challenge/experience. It can be a bit difficult to master though.

actually global agenda also had jetpacks, maybe thats why hirez is a good choice for this game.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    actually global agenda also had jetpacks, maybe thats why hirez is a good choice for this game.

it's not purley the jetpacks, it is movement in general, and it;s skieing mechanic combined with jetpacks, which allow the player to reach some pretty insane speeds.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good Sean :D
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    Hey sean, all the art looks great! My biggest crit is the UI right now. Also cannot stand the server joining process. Should be a list, so you actually know if you are joining a good server.

What classes are you guys playing with mostly? I'm all about the jumper lately, love the speed boosts.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Is it possible to gift someone VIP status?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Officially mod support isn't being supported for now as we're a free to play game and that can get a little weird with user made content. I'm not really the best person to talk to about that the whole mod support thing though, so I can't really say much about it.

Thanks Frankie! Hope things are going well for you over there across the pond.

Gifting VIP isn't available currently, but that's not a bad idea. :) I'll bring it up.

I usually play Juggernaught, I've almost unlocked everything on him actually. Other than that its usually pathfinder or soldier for me. Classic style loadouts really. :)

I'm HiRezSean in game, so add me if you like.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Any word on a true Team Deathmatch or any additional game-modes?
    Also anything on more Factions?

Will add you later, I'm fairly addicted.. ^^
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing on a purely kill or be killed team deathmatch mode for now. I'm sure we will be adding new game modes in the future though.

New factions will be released as "skins" or purchasable visuals. Although, the fiction written for T:A (it does exist!) is based on Blood Eagle and Diamond Sword being the main warring factions so any purchased "skins" will be tribesmen aligning with those main factions (fictionally).
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I got in beta, and can't even install it. :) Stupid launcher wont even install.. Shows ....loading...

and that's it. I got can't install on E:\games fat32 or some error like that
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    ive been playing a while and loving it, i havent touched swtor since the early release cuz of this, i will be pming some feedback when i take some screens to show what im talking about ect.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    this game just went live! played about two games of it and gotta say its pretty fun not a huge twitch shooter/ quake unreal guy but it worth a look.

did i tell you its free?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing the open beta for a few weeks, got a couple of games in the past day or two.

Go by 'flaagan' on there (surprise).

I won't be on for a few weeks but add me if you're on, between my vid card taking a crap (out for RMA), my system getting a virus, and the fact I'm off to Mexico for a few weeks.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Yeah Im on there every so often under the name "legendary" haha. Im really genuinely enjoying it but I think I just went up a few ranks and now my opponents are suddenly rather hard to beat.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing it a lot myself, really enjoying it. Name there is 'Mongrelman', UK region.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    After installing it opens once, then I alt-tab and the game simply perma-minimizes to desktop after that, with no way to play it. Yeah, I'm having a blast. :/
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    perma-minimizing is an unrealengine staple. I wish that bug had been fixed for years.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    anybody playing this? this game is so much fun! its more about skill than perks. Very enjoyable! hmm... i can figure out how to add friends, and we can play. yeh?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really fun. The maps are optimized for fast skiing! Played it at PAX last week, everything was unlocked, it played really well. Curious how freemium is going to affect it. Congrats on the game Sean, looks great.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    mine in there glottis8

I'll add ya luke.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    This game is rad. Spent $30 even,
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey muzz what did you get for $30? I dont usually spend any money on freemium games but this one is pretty cool and if u can get a more complete game for a one of $30 payment I would rather do that than spend tons of little purchases on temporary junk.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    mmm, well i got the $30 pack. That unlocked all the classes plus a bunch of guns and other stuff, and ive still got over a third left of the coins left. Plus i get double xp for 30 days i think. The main thing i wanted was the classes unlocked. Also there is a facebook thing where you can get 250 coins, takes a min to do and is worth it to at least unlock 1-2 classes.

I mostly wanted to throw some money towards the company cause they made a sweet game but it has made it a more full experience imo.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a huge Tribes fan, as I've mentioned here before, and for some reason I just can't get into this game. Maybe I need to spend more time to get comfortable with it, or I've just become a grumpy old guy, who isn't happy with so much change (I'm still disappointed with the lack of mod support).

That being said, I'm glad people are enjoying this, and the Tribes series is continuing. If you guys ever want to feel nostalgic, come join me some time in Tribes 2. Me and a group of guys play every Friday night 8PM EST.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya i did the same i treated it like a normal payed game, and bought the $30 pack, really fun game, and it has a high skill ceiling, so you feel like your always improving at the game.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm in the beta, but can't play it. The game crushes my PC, and creates a laggy mouse just on the menu alone. I guess I need a video card upgrade, but honestly, I think my current hardware should have been able to handle it.

I'm probably the hardest core Tribes player on these forums, and I'm really disappointed so far. I really want the franchise to return, but not at the cost of everything that made the series great :-(

There's a ton of great fps configs out there if you're having trouble with frames, as I am. Still can't get above 30 on my shit computer, but it helped a ton and actually made it playable.

I uploaded it here on Pastebin :)
    It's a mashup of several configs.

the .ini goes in /My Documents/My Games/Tribes Ascend and replaces "tribes.ini"
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 wrote: »
    There's a ton of great fps configs out there if you're having trouble with frames, as I am. Still can't get above 30 on my shit computer, but it helped a ton and actually made it playable.

I uploaded it here on Pastebin :)
    It's a mashup of several configs.

the .ini goes in /My Documents/My Games/Tribes Ascend and replaces "tribes.ini"

i get a more than playable fps, on a shit geforce 9500gt, all i did was set it to low, which actually isnt that bad looking.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, since I posted that, I've upgraded my video card, because my old video card didn't support my dual monitors properly (didn't want to run one on VGA). So, I can play it smoothly now.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'm playing on a 1Gb 9800GT and put the settings to 'very high'. At 720p I'm getting 60fps.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Anyone know if the prices in terms of 'ingame coin' is final? I don't mind throwing a few bucks to the devs outside, but the amount of it required ingame to unlock something is really, REALLY high.
  • tupwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Despite years and years of tribes quake and weapons factory arena back in the day, the sabbatical I've had from such things made me very very bad at this game.
    I'll go back to waiting for Diablo 3 where I can pretend I'm hardcore
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Anyone know if the prices in terms of 'ingame coin' is final? I don't mind throwing a few bucks to the devs outside, but the amount of it required ingame to unlock something is really, REALLY high.

im pretty sure the cost in gold for things will stay the same and the value of tribes gold to real money will stay the same, the part i would expect to change is the exp cost on somethings, and changes to the weapons themselfs, such as nerfs and buffs on various things.

but ya i put in way too much time sofar, and olny fully decked out 1 class sofar, and it was a cheaper one to do so, since new solly weapons are only 42k exp not 100k.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was a bit disappointed with the way you have to unlock vehicles, only available once you earn enough points, and my counter resets at the start of each match. I get it as a pacing method, and as a pay incentive, but it's annoying nonetheless. Also, I wish they'd bring back the bomber, that was a blast in Tribes 2.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Man you just gotta start killing and blowing shit up. I have seen people get vehicles 3 min into the match. I go in Juggernaut style and just start bombing and killing everything. That way I can unlock vehicles and tactical strikes for other players. PolyCruncher is my name there too if you guys want to play sometime.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    In a good flowing match you'll afford 2-3 of the most expensive vehicle, sometimes 4.
    Being a mechanic is a very good way to get points, especially due to repair and the eventual points you'll get from defending your base.

Also, mid-air roadkill is the best!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've noticed Technicians seem to rack up the credits really quickly (they cheat by meleeing their turrets then repairing them a lot...), especially if they have deployable turrets. Thankfully he doesn't cost a million XP to unlock.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    I've noticed Technicians seem to rack up the credits really quickly (they cheat by meleeing their turrets then repairing them a lot...), especially if they have deployable turrets. Thankfully he doesn't cost a million XP to unlock.

no they dont, i rack up credits fast, just spaming as jug or dueling people with solider gets me points faster than just constantly repairing shit.

though i do agree the points gained for different actions is messed up, iv come in 10th place or worse some games when i was the person who capped all 5 flags.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to get a score of ~30000 yesterday by placing two turrets next to a generator and constantly repairing / replacing them :/

I noticed this weekend that you can't melee your own turrets any more though, which is good.