Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo 3 Monk

mod
Offline / Send Message
Tits mod
Hey guys,
Today I started working on a new character. I will try to do the female monk from diablo 3. For those who might not have seen the concept art, here it is.
hqeHi.jpg
I started blocking the main part of the character.
T7Kf4.jpg
v7rbh.jpg
Comments and critics are more then welcome :)
I'll try to update as often as I can, But since i'm working full time I will most likely not work as fast as I would like.

Replies

• ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    cool! looks good so far. Looks like your making her a bit more asian than what she is in the concept?
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks for the answer... No actually i'm not trying to make her look asian, I started doing character fews months ago and since then, every single one of them had that ''asian'' look. Though I can't put the finger on the reason why they all look like that no matter how hard in tried to change that. Would you be able to identify what makes her look asian?
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    doh!

I would say there is a few things causing it but they all have to do with the eyes. Her eye cavities are pretty shallow which is often a common trait among asians. One of the contributing factors to that is asians often have very little fat on the eyelids, its almost just skin so it tends to lean towards a flatter look.

As comparison:

stock-photo-2458396-close-up-of-asian-eye.jpgstock-photo-beautiful-female-eye-macro-close-up-34426033.jpg

Commonly western faces have a bit more fat above the eye that adds more curvature as well as the bone of the eyebrow is often a bit more pronounced on non asians.

The second thing is the actual curvature of the eye. The gradual curve you have on the upper eye adds to it being kind of asiany. Heres a quick paintover just to kind of explain. Best thing would be to just find an eye you like and match it though of course

eyeexample.gif
    (exaggerated slightly for comparison)

A few other notes in terms of matching it to the concept. She seems to have a some what long/slender face and a more narrow nose so those all may be things you want to consider as well.

hope that helps a bit!

quick edit:

The overall shape of the eye you have right now can definitely work as it does seem the concept has more narrow eyes but I would supplement it with building up the shape above the eye more like the image below

17+beautiful+eye+(www.cute-pictures.blogspot.com).jpg
  • SA_22
    yea think top of the nose could be alil narrower and head slimmer/taller.. the brows could be alil more defined should help shape the eye... apart from that nice so far!... concept is sick cant wait to see this finished!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys, thanks to all of you for the very usefull comment, definitly going to try to fix those eyes :) .with what you sent me I think its getting a little bit more clear for me, thanks a lot.
    For the face I agree mine doesn't really match the one from the concept. Maybe I should stick to it but I was trying to give it a much softer, a little bit more feminine look since I find the face on the concept a little hard. ( but that's all personal preference I think).
    I was a bit inspired by Agyness deyn when I started the face
    C7Ylg.jpg
    y2OS2.jpg
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    bad ass, good choice. her face matches the concept very well!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Was thinking of doing this one myself, can't wait to see what you do with it :D
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey there guys, sorry for the lack of update, had no electricity yersterday (yay....) so I was not able to work on the character as much as I wanted. Still here is a little bit of update. I'm a little bit unsure about what material some of those piece are so I'm basically trying few things.
    I work on the eyes, hope I made them better, I'm not very sure about the face so far, I feel like there is something wrong...
    Yyu10.jpg
    irBte.jpg
  • Donavonyoung
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    The face looks a bit flat, but that is hard to say looking only from the front view. Can you post more views please.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey looking good! the main thing that is standing out to me is the top of the head/forehead area it looks a little bit to flat and low i would pop those up a bit.

also those ears need some work but im not sure if your still working on those or not :)

keep up the good work!
  • SA_22
    still think the nose could be alil thinner at the top.. and the brows have a shocked look about them, maybe lower them alil... overall its looking alot better tho!!.. think what is making it look off is more to do with the shape of the head. not the face

C7Ylg.jpg

just look at the references you have and you should be able to work it out!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Didn't rework on it yet, just sending more face render because some people ask.
    Going to work on it some more tomorow :)
    JT2zg.jpg
  • nofacej
    Here's a really sloppy distortion that I hope will help:
    http://oi39.tinypic.com/2r2ygiw.jpg
  • Tits
  • njc6425
    Love the new armor plates youve added :) looking good, i like where the face is at the moment, and that ref your going of off is pretty good to. I like it and i feel it suit the design :)@ericdigital that comparison and paint over about the eyes was an incredibly interesting read. Ive never bothered to research that. Thanks for doing that for @Tits, cause its gonna help every artist that stumbles upon this thread.
    Subscribed because im keen to see how this ends up :)
    Good luck
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Another update, working hard on the character, it's going pretty fast,
    Still not really sure what to do about the weird thing around the waist (last one that is not detailed at all on the waist area..).
    any comment/critics?
    I think there is still something a bit weird about her head shape, definitly going to check out soon.
    EgvmX.jpg
    992bM.jpg
  • dii
    The silhouette is really one of the most defining parts of the diablo III's concepts in my opinion, a comparison of yours with the design:

Titscrit00.jpg

I know you haven't modeled in some of the straps but even based on what's there you've lost a lot of definition in the silhouette.

You're very timid with the shapes in your characters and I think it's holding your work back a lot. Just get in there and be bold, really push shapes out.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    MyxSE.jpg
    Thanks a lot Dii, that was a very nice critics. Sometimes we are working on something for so long that we miss to see some very important aspect such as the silhouette. I pushed it farther a bit, I think its a great improvement. (sorry again for the crappy english)
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    The armor is looking fine and progressing nicely, but the face still needs work. I think what is making the face look odd is that the elements of the face are not connecting, they just look like they're there.

What I mean is, I can see you have an understanding of the proportions, placement, volume of the mouth,nose, and eye but everything in between doesn't connect. The shapes and plane changes of the face is primarily due to the skull and we don't get that in your head model, everything is smoothed over.

Just nail those spots in between and the face will look more together.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hello everyone,
    sorry for the delay Spiderdude.
    I agree with you, definitly the face still need some work, I was just going over the armor to finally come back to the face a little bit later.
    Its really hard for me to understand quite clearly what you mean by the element of the face are not connecting? I guess its a lack of anatomy-muscle-bone (im sorry again, I speak french so sometime it's harder for me to understand as clearly as english native). So pretty much I think you meant that the face is pretty smoothed out and you cannot feel the muscle-bones under the skin, so I need to add more definition, more volume so it will work better. Got it right?
    Going to check it out with my friend who is a concept artist, usually its helps me a lot too.

Here I'm posting some update, you can't see a lot of the new stuff but basically i did the straps around the arms, proportions changes, pants, boots...
    I'm trying to determinate what would be the best topology for the front part too, to be sure its going to move smoothly once rigged, any suggestions?
    92OXb.jpg?1
    VsnjA.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    looks very nice, when im not so tired im deff going to come back and read some of the crits given - but so far so good, keep it up : )
  • SA_22
    coming along nice buddy!.. face still doesn't look right tho, again think its more to do with the shape of the skull.. once you have that done try making up a rough hair mesh, should help you work out the face.. and who likes looking at a bald chick! =D
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Still working on that head-face, having a hard time to figure it out...
    91Kb7.jpg
    b69aA.jpg
    There is something wrong with those eyes... right?
  • tupwick
    Ooh your armor looks amazing! Great work! I think the eyes overall look too shallow. I *think* the ball and lids need to be sunk a little further back into the skull
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    everything is looking nice! but the head still feels off, the top of the head seems squished down compared to the concept.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys, I need a little bit of help, i'm a little bit confuse about the low resolution version of this character. Since there is few layer there is pants under the ''skirt'' (sorry I dont know how its called) part, shoulder and skin under the shoulder-armor part... How do I do that, do I actually layer it?
    IM pretty scared there will be a lot of interpeneration everywhere if I do it that way.
    Somebody can help?
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys, here's a kinda big update.
    I finish the High resolution sculpt few days ago (decided to leave it like that, might now follow exactly the first concept art but let's call that creative interpretation :) )
    Here's some image.
    finalrendersmall.jpg
    7xZco.jpg
    I started working on the low resolution too, did my first pass on the occlusion and normal map baking, still have a lot of stuff to fix but here some preview
    67238427.jpg
    24085002.jpg
    61167565.jpg
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking real nice! I think the neck is a bit long and thin, giving her a more delicate appearance. If you look at the concept her chin is close to the colar, and her shorter neck is giving her a tougher and more warrior monk-esque look. Its a stylistic choice, so I guess its whatever you want to go for.
  • sipher3325
  • njc6425
    loving the hair, always had trouble
  • Conrad
    great work coming on nicely:)
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    the bake came out nicely I can't wait to see the texture
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just bringing in the neck by a cm or two will do wonders.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey I'm back!
    I'm sorry for the lack of update I was out of town for the weekend and giving a break to my poor hand that is still pretty upset about all that work recently..
    As few of you guys talked about the neck i did shorten it a bit, I do think it looks better now.
    I started the texture this morning, still there is a lot of part still in color blocking-occlusion only, but here's a little preview for you.
    Critics and comment very appreciated!!
    YQdmd.jpg
  • PDC
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    Lookin' pretty great so far, I'm enjoying watching it all come together.
    Keep crankin' on that texture, its really what'll make this piece.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks a lot for all of your comment guys :)
    It sure will be finish before diablo III released :)
  • Tokusei
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    this is looking sweet. I think the colours are pretty accurate to the concept but the values on the red/yellow area are a bit different. also the hands look kinda short to me. hope to see more texture work =)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey, posting a texture udapte, going pretty smoothly, should be done soon.
    I will check out the hand tomorow, you guys think there are not long enough or like proportionally too small? Going to fix it tomorow.
    Anyway here is the preview.
    3APDT.jpg
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Almost calling it done,
    Still looking for texture feedback and more details about the hand size
    exTM1.jpg
  • JoshC
    Oh wow, looking spiffy
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Her hands definitely feel a bit too small. Typically your hand should be able to completely cover your face, currently I think her hand would be a little more than half.

In terms of the texture, I think you should define the metal more and make it pop. Right now everything seems to be catching light the same. Her pauldrons should be reacting much more dramatically to the light.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Agree with artstream about the material definition. Her pauldrons should have a stronger specular to them. Also since her robes are most likely silk since I think they should be shinier as well, especially the red collar piece.
  • Helgezone
    Hey man! Been following this thread and I really think this piece has come a long way! Keept it ut :)

Regarding the hands, I have to chime in with Artstream above. Have a look at the concept. That character has some dude-sized, powerful hands! The arms themselves are bigger as well, which kinda adds to that feeling, I suppose.
  • BrianP
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    looking really nice! agreed with the hand comments. I am a realy into color, so the thing that pops out at me first in your texture overall would be your coloring in the shadows and highlights. I always like when shadows have a blueish tent to them rather than a darker color or black. this applies for the texture overall but especially in the face. i feel like you could push your purples and blues in there a bunch more. you can probably do this with the spec though.

i also dont see any eyebrows. are they just hidden by her hair? this character really looks like your profile pic too...if nobody noticed. great refrence! lol
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I'm currently working on the spec color and it should be fix. The eyebrows are there but that's true, since there are really white, its hard to see, going to fixe it.
    funny that you point out the ressemblance with my profile pict, not something i wished tho. Its me on the picture (yup, find the ''hey man real funny'') and somebody showed me that concept because of the hair ressemblance fews months ago. Im too fixing the hands at the moment.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Other then for not so huge texture fix, I'm really close from calling this monk done,
    What do you guys think?
    Render from Marmoset (Yes there is paintover for the hair, for some reason I cannot make the alpha work right for the hair, had those huge gray outline around the planes :( )
    ql3f7.jpg
    Oh and map preview
    Np2dH.jpg
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey looking nice! I would say the thing that stands out the most is the lack of material definition, primarily on the metal. The metal currently is pretty blown out causing it to become kind of flat rather than getting nice specular hints and highlights that it could use to really sell it. If you can sell the materials a bit more this will be a really nice piece, good work so far!
  • TheGoozah
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    HAHA cool. This came out great. I think the thumb and fingers are a little too pointed and thin at the tips. They could really do with some more volume. and the skin is a tad flat. I would love to see some more reds and hue shifts in key areas (like the lips, cheeks, ears, nose and finger tips) to help sell the ahhhh fleshyness. Perhaps you could get a little more direction in your lighting coz the normal map is getting squashed a bit. Also other than the metal all the other materials look sort of the same. You could push the spec on stuff like leather and pull it out of the cloth.

Other than those small things (and they are smaller than they sound) I am really digging this character. I think you did and awesome job. I am really looking forward to you next piece. Great work.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Generally I don't really find myself being drawn to the fantasy genre but this is awesome! particularly the HP stuff! I think eric and duncan are spot on with their crits.

It just needs better material definition. One thing you might find usefully (especially for metal) is unifying your values on the gloss map, so rather than using a wide array of values like you have- limit it to three base values- one for skin, another for fabric, and a third one for metal. You`ll most likely need to tweak and adjust things, but I find having too much information in the gloss map (especially painted shading and light info) tends to flatten out the end result.

Also- the fingers are really distracting. It looks like a smoothing algorithm gone awry

Good work man!