Home General Discussion

Employers Looking At Your Facebook

artstream
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
artstream polycounter lvl 11
A fairly recent development (I don't think it's as prevelant in game companies at the moment) is employers asking to see a potential hire's Facebook page. Someone at my job sent this around about it, it's a pretty good read.

http://raganwald.posterous.com/i-hereby-resign

Replies

• artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Also as a note: it's speculative fiction, not something that actually happened, here's his disclaimer. Still, an enjoyable read.

http://raganwald.posterous.com/everythings-made-up-and-the-points-dont-matte
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    simple solution:
    drop facebook, think twice about what you put online
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    MikeF wrote: »
    simple solution:
    drop facebook, think twice about what you put online

You're coming to this conclusion because somebody wrote some speculative fiction?

My facebook is locked down tight, and even if anyone could view it, they'd just see me complaining about the weather...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    MikeF: That is not the point of the article posted by artstream at all!

Interesting read, my initial response was: that's a ridiculous policy, invades on privacy waaaay too much! I hadn't even contemplated the possibility of the company itself being in trouble because of it.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    For the past few years I've been pretty much the least anonymous person I know of online. I have a very unique name and I haven't bothered to hide behind anything but the flimsiest of aliases (such as this one). What this means is that I'm super easy to track down and it's a cakewalk to find out things like my birth date, where I live and numerous ways of contacting me.

I'm very well aware that I've made myself so visible online, so if there's something I don't want people to know, it simply doesn't find its way onto the internet. Ever.

I think that's something a lot of other people could do well to learn. There's no anonymity online these days, especially with the advent of widespread social networking. I'm not saying I like it, because I feel it's scuzzy for employers to look at employees' Facebook pages, but it goes with the territory now.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Japhir wrote: »

Interesting read, my initial response was: that's a ridiculous policy, invades on privacy waaaay too much! I hadn't even contemplated the possibility of the company itself being in trouble because of it.
    Not sure if you've been following the news in recent weeks but a plethora of companies, typically in the USA it should be said, have gone one step further than simply 'shoulder browsing' prospective employes by asking for usernames and passwords to conduct what can only be considered 'deep-data audits'. The sad part about the fuss this kicked up is [paraphrase]"the degree to which this should be allowed" instead of simply blackballing it outright. But... if you don't know your rights and volunteer that information then nothing wrong has been done. However, Facebook suggested that they'd considering prosecuting companies that did this (not through any moral obligation/outrage regarding the privacy of your information, but rather on the grounds of commercially exploiting their systems).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    how is it any different from, say... a lead artist frequenting polycount, and prejudging whether they like an applicant or not based on their posting record here?
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    how is it any different from, say... a lead artist frequenting polycount, and prejudging whether they like an applicant or not based on their posting record here?

Well people tend not to act up here because for example you could be an employer I'm quoting to now. On Facebook people tend to just joke with their friends and they lose their inhibitions.

The worst thing would be tracking peoples youtube account. "This applicant has favourite Rick Astley Never Gonna Give You Up, this applicant commented: I could watch this all day, omg... I already have"

I'm sure you guys could come up with a more messed up example, especial Swizzle ^_^
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    @almight_gir There are certain things (at least in the states) that you are not allowed to discriminate over when it comes to jobs. However, most of these things are unlikely to come up during a job interview anyways and if they do it would send some red flags. If some asked you your religion, sexual orientation, how many partners you had been with all during an interview you would probably be shocked. However, for a number of people this could be found by perusing their facebook timeline. Also, if you're logging in they would have access to any and all messages you had sent. That in itself could house a huge amount of very personal information that you could have shared with close friends or family. This is more than you not wanting them to see some picture of you drunk from a night on the town. What if you had a bout with Cancer or were infected with AIDS or any other STD? This isn't your employers business to know and there would be no way to tell if they had not hired you due to a more qualified individual applying for the same job or that they just didn't like something they read.
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's not at all, people just need to stop being stupid about what they put online. My way of thinking is, if it's not something you would shout in a crowded mall, it doesn't belong online.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    i has no facebook :)
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Just be aware that if you don't want something out, you probably shouldn't say it online. And if you do, make sure it's hiding behind super sekret accounts and you only access them behind 9 proxies.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    There is a certain amount of privacy that is thought to be behind facebook. Like I said, something on your wall is pretty public. Messages you send between you and your significant other are private and I know I've sent private messages that are just that. Private.

There is a huge difference between this and what you post here on polycount. Likewise, a lead artist can see your post history here. They cannot see any private messages you have sent to other members. This is no different than if an employer said, "Hey, can you open up your text messages on your cell phone? I need to take a look at that." Why and for what purpose would anyone need to see this information?
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    It's very different. It's really about you capitulating to an unreasonable request and voluntarily handing access (and possibly control) of your private data to a third party/complete stranger.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i really just dont care, there is nothing that would be bad for people to see on my g+ or FB accounts.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    This is like companies demanding access to all of your personal emails.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    passerby wrote: »
    i really just dont care...
    You should.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    They can totally have access to my facebook, if I get access to the CEO's email account so I can know whats going on at a high level of the company. I can see them trying it on the guise of trying to protect themselves, but hey, I need to protect myself too and read about layoffs coming a couple months in advance ;)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Asking for your facebook password breaks your terms of use with facebook, and it gives the employers access to information that is illegal for them to ask for directly. I can be easily used as a form of discrimination.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I look at it this way. If someone doesn't want to hire me because I don't agree with all the things the govt does, the way our country (USA) is run, the crazyness I think of organized religion, the penis tanks and the jokes then well obviously they have their own issues to worry about.

What I do in my personal life is just that. It has nothing to do with how I work or the level of work I can do on a day to day basis, but that's just my opinion...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Since my friends and coworkers circles overlap pretty closely it's only a matter of time before my supervisors friend me on Facebook.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Good thing I don't got facebook.
    Besides that I don't think It was one of the smartest ideas because well your whole life is or could be on there. Its like tweeting, who really cares?

Anyway invasion of privacy, is still invasion of privacy.
    It should go if the employee has to do that, the employer should also do It by the employee. Works both ways doesn't It? or we are giving that up too?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    What I do in my personal life is just that. It has nothing to do with how I work or the level of work I can do on a day to day basis, but that's just my opinion...

I completely agree with this. If an employer wants to ask about my personal life, its none of their god damn business.
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the record, the way these screenings work is usally diametrically opposed to that blog entry, and that by design. There are 3rd party services that analyze most of what the user has written and the content of photos, and then grade the person in for the employer (arguably) relevant categories like drug abuse and racist/extremist/discriminatory views. The use of a 3rd party for this is specifically to avoid the company knowing things that they can be sued for discriminating against.

If people are really bothered it's not that much work to just set up an extra "clean" account with any social network service. That said I think it's overly intrusive.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Pulls up swizz's number from his portfolio. Checkmate.

At the point where employers ask to see my Facebook, is the point where I delete it. I talk crap, the last credible thing i posted on there was about organising some uni work last Wednesday and going out for a drink friday.
    The other 99% is locats, meme's or youtube videos.

It's literally there for that 1% of the time when i cant be bothered to call someone and when i bored and feel the need to harass a friend with randomness.

So if a employer decides that's how I will act in a workplace, there right. The problem is I'm getting first class honours while doing it. ;)
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Really all anybody would see from my FB is that I like to play pool and I like nerdy things. However, I don't think I'd be comfortable working for a company that asks about that. I certainly wouldn't if they asked for my password.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Pulls up swizz's number from his portfolio. Checkmate.

We should all call swizz once this birthday thread shows up.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Would never let any employer get to my Facebook, they'd be bored to death.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    marks wrote: »
    I completely agree with this. If an employer wants to ask about my personal life, its none of their god damn business.

I agree with that for the most part, but what if this person regularly posts obscenely racist comments on their Facebook? There are a ton of people who do that and most of them aren't joking. Most recently a lot of people were responding saying characters being black in The Hunger Games ruined the movie for them, even though they're described with darker skin in the books. There's hundreds of people posting shit like that every day on public accounts. I'm not sure if that should factor into if they're employed or not, but it certainly shows something about their character and personality, and those are traits I would think many employers would pay attention to when looking at who to hire.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't even use FB, last time I posted anything was me complaining about Prostitution and Bacon and how they're relative to Caffeine and Goldman Sach's.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I don't think anyone should have to provide their facebook/social website login information, that's ludicrous. I don't think anyone should even have to provide a link to their profile, also ridiculous.

That being said, I have no problem with people not being hired based on things available to the public on facebook or other Internet outlets - so long as those things aren't discriminating in ways that are illegal. But I mean really, someone seems like a douche every time they post an update? Sounds like a douche you probably shouldn't hire.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I don't even use FB, last time I posted anything was me complaining about Prostitution and Bacon and how they're relative to Caffeine and Goldman Sach's.

ELABORATE PLZ
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Japhir wrote: »

Do you know who knows your private life on the facebook Japhir?

EDIT: Sorry, let me rephrase it, Do you know who owns your facebook profile doesnt matter how private it is?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I don't care , just look at my facebook :3. thats how I look like in real life. what you see is what you get.
    I treat my online behaviour especially when im using real name : just like I do in real life, so nothing to lose.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire wrote: »
    I don't care , just look at my facebook :3. thats how I look like in real life. what you see is what you get.
    I treat my online behaviour especially when im using real name : just like I do in real life, so nothing to lose.

well the issue is they are asking for your username and password
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    at the point of a job application where they ask for my facebook profile or whatever is the point at which i dont want to work for them anymore... simple
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    ah! ,I didn't read the whole text
    thats a bit way too weird tho lol too obvious for everyone to say no, he should write something a bit more realistic and hard question:
    an IT or game company need you to install app in ur facebook.

my answer will always be NO. :3
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Facebook themselves adressed this and took it senators a couple weeks ago I believe:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/facebook-legal-action-against-employers-asking-for-your-password/10768
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really see this being an issue in the Game Industry - how many studios even do drug tests?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Most people who look at my application get a face full of zombie'ness. As for Facebook all they'd see is my daily posts about gaming and my lack of a social timeline XD
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I wouldn't hire anyone who I found out voted for Kang for President of the World. I can't honestly trust the judgement of anyone who wouldn't vote for Kodos.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    If an employer is going to use my facebook activity against me in the hiring process, then fuck them - they aren't the kind of place I want to work for. I do my job, do it well and what I post on Facebook should be meaningless. Not like I post anything wrong anyways, but you get the point.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if this is just people flipping out - when I heard about it on NPR they mentioned it was happening with police and teachers - basically jobs where making your private life public could have ramifications. I know some teachers here in TX and they said they'd get fired if they even had an account on a social networking site.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    My profile is public, and I don't care who sees it, because I don't do anything dramatic or hateful. But my private messages are certainly private.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    If I was ever asked during an interview to give up my Facebook profile so they can see it I would tell them no, there is nothing on it that help there decision process of weither I would be a good empolyee for them while I am there during working hours.

If they told me that if I did not they would pass for someone else, I would tell them fine and good luck in there future endeavors. An interview is a two way street here people. To many people forget that you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you, to deiced if that company is the right fit for you.

Also in terms of who can see my profile like my current friends/family/ and co-workers I am friends with, I couldn't care less, I am who I am and wont change that because people might not agree with any opinion I have or what I do in my free time. Everyone has there own damn opinions and people seriously need to grow the fuck up and realize that not everyone is like you, everyone is different. Expect for possibly Clone Troopers, but even then some of them are higher ranking offers then others!
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    If you ever asked simply say it discloses your marriage status and asking to devolve such information is discriminatory and illegal.
  • motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 12
    What I find way more shocking that an employer openly asking to access facebook is a combination of two other things:
    1. Employers (or ANYONE for that regard) doing so behind people's back via "proxy spies" that add to your facebook list or friends' list.
    2. OTHER people taking pictures of you putting them online without you knowing it ("Oh come on - it's just a picture don't be like that! Paranoid idiot!").

I have control over what I put online about myself. Yet it's way more difficult to control what others put online about you. Especially if you're like me and simply don't have a facebook account.
    Sometimes you simply don't want things you do or say to get blown all over the internet. So you either have the option to get an account for any SocialSite out there where people might post about you and search the photos yourself to filter out.

It might still be exaggerated seeing things like this for now but imagine it and take your pick. :-/
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    motionblur wrote: »
    What I find way more shocking that an employer openly asking to access facebook is a combination of two other things:
    1. Employers (or ANYONE for that regard) doing so behind people's back via "proxy spies" that add to your facebook list or friends' list.
    2. OTHER people taking pictures of you putting them online without you knowing it ("Oh come on - it's just a picture don't be like that! Paranoid idiot!").

I have control over what I put online about myself. Yet it's way more difficult to control what others put online about you. Especially if you're like me and simply don't have a facebook account.
    Sometimes you simply don't want things you do or say to get blown all over the internet. So you either have the option to get an account for any SocialSite out there where people might post about you and search the photos yourself to filter out.

It might still be exaggerated seeing things like this for now but imagine it and take your pick. :-/

That reminds me, my former CEO told me about people who apparently create fake accounts on forums and more to blacken rivals' names. Has anybody had any experience with this?