Home General Discussion

Employers Looking At Your Facebook

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    How do people feel about being asked for their Polycount names?

I think how some people act on here is much more telling than any facebook account - but at the same time, personal information is often divulged here that isn't any of my god-damned business as a potential employer.

I'd never really thought twice about asking for it, mostly because I feel a genuine kinship with anyone who can claim membership and would go the extra mile to help them out... But maybe I should stop.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been found and offered legitimate work through my polycount name so I would say: That is awesome:) Though I may or may not remember to ask the person who's asking for theirs.

There's nothing really discriminating/unsettling that I've posted on/through facebook, but there are certainly jokes among friends that are context sensitive and if an employer is going to base a decision on those than I'd probably be better off anyway.
  • motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 12
    Sectaurs wrote: »

I think how some people act on here is much more telling than any facebook account - but at the same time, personal information is often divulged here that isn't any of my god-damned business as a potential employer.

I'd never really thought twice about asking for it, mostly because I feel a genuine kinship with anyone who can claim membership and would go the extra mile to help them out... But maybe I should stop.
    Seeing as this is my 3rd post here ... *cough* ... I wasn't asked for my polycount name so far. ;)

I don't know if I had a problem with it, though as I tend to act on a forum as I'd do in real life, anyways. Forums like this one here are to me more of a professional businessy thingie. Facebook on the other hand is very personal to many. So there's a difference. On a forum I know everybody can read my comments.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor

I'd be alright if someone asked for my polycount name. Not everything I've posted has been super, or even very good. But I've tried not to make myself seem like a total jackass, and besides - maybe then an employer could see how you've improved and see how well you take criticism.

If nothing else, polycount is open to the public anyway. I don't think anyone should show up here and not expect that a future employer could be seeing what they're posting.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    If an employer asked me for a link to personal Facebook, I would share it with them. There's nothing to see on it anyway, I haven't used it in about a year and barely updated it before that, and if they asked me for a link they're probably going to try to find it themselves later anyway. Giving it to them just saves them some time and shows them that I have nothing to hide. Both of which could help me look like a good candidate for a job.

Asking for my password on the other hand is not cool. I think the concern here is that a disgruntled employee may use Facebook to publicize sensitive information and having the password would quickly rectify this, but isn't that what Non Disclosure Agreements are meant to prevent?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Well my polycount name is well errr my name. I don't try to hide anything. I'm a pretty vocal person. Never tried to hide that.

My facebook consists of dick + religion jokes, shit about the govt, how much i love space and exploration, my kids are plastered all over it, my wife, my art, golfing and whatever else it is that I do.

But I don't think our industry is really too worried about this stuff. I guess if you were blasting NDA secrets all over the web then perhaps...
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Well my polycount name is well errr my name. I don't try to hide anything. I'm a pretty vocal person. Never tried to hide that.

My facebook consists of dick + religion jokes, shit about the govt, how much i love space and exploration, my kids are plastered all over it, my wife, my art, golfing and whatever else it is that I do.

But I don't think our industry is really too worried about this stuff. I guess if you were blasting NDA secrets all over the web then perhaps...

your wall sound like a blast! I should probably just stop telling people I have FB on the account my wall is run under a regime of austerity and neglect. No one wants to be known as a boring bastard, god that would damage my prospects even more than having dick all over the place like yours!
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

At the school I've been going to, one of the first things they told us in the introductory class was: "be careful of what you post online because employers do look at this stuff"

With how readily available this stuff is online, I'd be surprised if people in the industry didn't do it.

*(Edit: I'm only referring to the looking up of Facebook accounts once the interview is over and you've left, not the acquisition of logins)
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Weirdboy wrote: »
    At the school I've been going to, one of the first things they told us in the introductory class was: "be careful of what you post online because employers do look at this stuff"

With how readily available this stuff is online, I'd be surprised if people in the industry didn't do it.

I see the industry looking up your online identity, sure, but I don't see them asking for your login info, or having you show your profile as they look over your shoulder.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganemi wrote: »
    It's always surprising how many people instantly respond with "well, I don't do anything bad, so I should be okay.

You should not mistake someone responding with such as equivalent to being alright with the practice being discussed.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    scary shit. I wouldn't want to work for someone who wants to snoop out my private info. Next they're asking for my gmail password and my apartment keys.

If that happens at an interview....great way to build up a professional atmosphere of trust and respect! lol
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Ganemi, I wasn't aware that the studio was asking for passwords and account names when I posted that. It was more a comment on employers just looking at your public facebook profile when hiring you. Of course I agree that asking for your account info or them forcing you to let them look at your account is wrong.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17

I dunno man I think both are not fair, I mean if some employer where to look at my facebook they would see me talking smack and random parties and life events im always doing.
    If they look at me on here they would think Im some unprofessional Fuckwad from my (Super old) posts. Vs now how I handle myself and present myself now in a professional environment. In real life environment ive learned from previous jobs etc and have grown in a professional manner.

In internet land there are no take backsies, you fuck up once people will dig up that post from 2007 and rub it in your face or always have that opinion on you forever. Hell Emil Still gives me shit every time I post even 1 remote angy/emo statement on facebook to this day. It just kinda proves my point that once you put something on the internet your kinda screwed and dont get takebacksies :p

So unless if your some suicidal/homicidal sociopath that the employer REALLY needs to dig into, I dont think facebook/online world should effect your chances of employment. It should just be skill and qualifications in person only.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin wrote: »
    If they look at me on here they would think Im some unprofessional Fuckwad from my (Super old) posts. Vs now how I handle myself and present myself now in a professional environment.

If it makes you feel any better, I think they'd care more about your recent history than about your previous posts.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If my vacation photos are the 'make or break' for a prospective employer, I can find someone else to work for. Seriously, it's got nothing to do with you. No.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better, I think they'd care more about your recent history than about your previous posts.

You never know if there gonna dig. If you look at my recent post there all joking but for the most part serious work and helping when I can. But if you go back a few years...
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin wrote: »
    You never know if there gonna dig. If you look at my recent post there all joking but for the most part serious work and helping when I can. But if you go back a few years...

If it bothers you that much you could be pretty screwed. Since searching "seforin", "seforin.com", "beachfront games", "beachfrontgames.com", and "moonspiderstudio.com" in google all turn up with a link either to your profile or a thread you started right here on polycount. :) On the first page, no less.

But really, if it was a few years ago I'd think the growth would be more what they'd be focused on.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *shakes fist* Damn you google ninjas LOL