Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RGS-50M *(MANY large images)*

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
finally decided to make a thread for this gun after a few redos on the texture....this was a good practice for me for both texturing and sub-d modelling *cough* less ridiculously hard edges that does not get caught in normals *cough*...im slightly satisfied with it at the moment...i also took a few liberties to change some parts textures from the reference (piece behind back barrel and grip and handles)....critiques and comments are extremely welcome! (be as harsh as possible...i need the improvement) :D

high-poly
HEuPa.jpg

low poly(current) (6496 polies)

0riKX.png
9wGxc.png

GhbIw.png
Textures(diffuse)(downsized from 2k-2k to 1k-1k)

o1uCh.png

(specular)
VMM2y.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Need a little work on the material definition, everything looks kind of plasticy.
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    v2 of the texture maps...tweaked the contrast and brightness and various levels to push the materials....god im so terrible at this >.<

forgot reference photos link: http://www.pixagogo.com/7740194245

PS: tell me if you want me to delete the old versions due to killing internets

round two!!!

bIK3q.png
    ixUpl.png
    ApJRA.png
    j80N8.png
    VeDbh.jpg
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    i suggest you put some contrast on your specular map. the map itself looks nice but the lack of contrast holds it back..

also as said before, you may want to adjust your rendering material settings to look less cartoony. currently the renders have a TF2 feel to them
  • JoshC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think a gloss map is in order, or change your rendering. Right now your weapon is giving more of an impression of a toy then a worn in firearm. Right now from these shots, the metal has almost a mirror sheen to it, almost antistropic. Gun metal (even oiled) is very flat with a hint of gloss, painted it's even more flat.
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tweaked the contrast on the specular a little bit and also dropped the blatant lense flare spec settings this time. Just an fyi im using marmoset as my renderer...i tried using xoliul and 3plite...but cant get the lightning of my desire...might have to play more in the settings. Hopefully it looks less TF2-ish now.

THANKS for teh critiques btw! Now i just need to drop bad design habits...
    054a0.png
    BRoQq.png
    GeioD.png