Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Mace, Fritzzz

Throwing my hat into the ring for this contest!

I'm going to be making a Demonic mace around a "3 headed demon" theme.

Here's some quick head thumbnails.

Darksiders_Head_Thumbnails.jpg

Thumbnails for the shaft & pommel will come later, all I know right now is i want the shaft to have a "twisty vines" feel to it, like this

Good luck everyone! Looking forward to seeing awesome weapons in a few weeks

Replies

• reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    while i dig the alchemy shapes it's realy hard to get an idea of the volume you have in mind. I'm of the sharing of horns opinion, though. i think 5 and 7 are my favorites
  • Fritzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response. I just discovered alchemy a couple days ago, so I might've been having a bit too much fun with it :)

I'm out of town today, but tomorrow I'll be posting some proper concepts which should give a clearer idea of the shapes.
  • Fritzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 2!

Took 5 of the best head thumbnails and fleshed them out a bit/made them fit the proxy.

Darksiders_Head_Prelims.jpg

Once I've settled on a design (I'm leaning towards 2 with 1's horns), I'll get started on the rest of the weapon. I'd love to hear any feedback/suggestions!
  • Fritzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't posted in a while! Since last post I chose a design, gave my shriveled up and vestigial concept art muscles some exercise, and started modelling the basemesh for sculpting. I'm going to be changing the shaft-to-head transition, 'cause I'm not very happy with how it looks.

Weapon_Concept_Grayscale.pngWeapon_WIP_01.png

Current plan is to have the sculpt + low poly finished and baked by Wednesday.

PS: Right now the wraps around the shaft are made of several models. Is this a good approach, or would it be better to use one cylinder and sculpt the wrap details on?
  • Fritzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpt's about 80% done, but I'm going to Toronto for the IGDA meeting in about an hour, so I won't be able to finish it today! Here's what I've got so far:

Sculpt_WIP.jpg
  • Fritzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedesignTime.jpg

Well this is a problem.

I don't think the current 3-skull design can possibly fit within the poly budget, so I'm going to stick with what I've got on everything but the head, which needs a complete re-thinking
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    We're allowed to exceed 1500 provided it's reasonable. Mine eats up 2955.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    @Habboi - 2955 won't be an acceptable final count either. The goal is 1500 but if it goes over by a little bit it's fine. Almost doubling the count kind of defeats the purpose of calling it a challenge.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    you could make the horn 5-sided, 5 sided cylinders are always cool :).
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    @Sub Fair enough. It isn't exactly clear when the chatter on the forums contradicts the rules. Either way I'll be able to cut mine back if I have to.

Back to the topic at hand, why not make it a hammer instead with one face? That way you can use the extra tri's to detail it elsewhere.
  • Fritzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the advice! I experimented with reducing the tri-count, and using only 1 or 2 heads, but wasn't happy with the results.

Here's the redesign so far. Went with an earlier concept which incorporates the vines on the shaft:

RedesignWIP.jpg
  • Fritzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First bake!

FirstBake.jpg

Weighing in at a much more modest 1342 tris, there's still a couple of adjustments to make on the model, then texturing until Monday!