Home Technical Talk

Best method of UVW unwrapping Pipes/Tubes?

Having some trouble unwrapping some low poly curvy pipes I have on my prop.

I've tried making a spline, generating map co-ords then, converting to poly, adding a UVW modifier, then using the Spline Mapping tool but it doesn't look that great.

Manually using quick planar map on a series of extruded cylinders takes too long.

Is there any quick and easy method I'm missing? Or is it just patience?

Replies

• AlexLeighton
    Generally I do a planar map on the z-axis or whatever is looking down on the object, then select the edge loop where I want the seam to be and break it, then do a relax on the object. It'll be a bit of a funky shape in the unwrap, depending on how much of a curve it has, but you should be able to texture it without any distortion.
  • Cdawilliams
    Generally I do a planar map on the z-axis or whatever is looking down on the object, then select the edge loop where I want the seam to be and break it, then do a relax on the object. It'll be a bit of a funky shape in the unwrap, depending on how much of a curve it has, but you should be able to texture it without any distortion.

My hero!

I did it slightly differently. Planar Map on the z-axis, Selected Edge Loop and then unfolded strip from loop. Basically gave me a night flat unwrap and seems to work really well!

Either way, I wouldn't of done it with your advice! Much appreciated - you've no idea how long I've been sat here racking my brain
  • gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    I like to make a seam, then use a pelt map, relax, then align verts horizontally and vertically.
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I'll usually use the generate mapping coords feature and slap a checker on the mesh then scale the UVs to fit the best square texel ratio across corners/straight pipes.

Sometimes a quick relax with a very light intensity value can help too, keeping your straight parts right in your UVs, and minimizing distortion on angled parts.

Oftentimes a series of quick cylinder projs can do the job as well.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Having some trouble unwrapping some low poly curvy pipes I have on my prop.

I've tried making a spline, generating map co-ords then, converting to poly, adding a UVW modifier, then using the Spline Mapping tool but it doesn't look that great.

Manually using quick planar map on a series of extruded cylinders takes too long.

Is there any quick and easy method I'm missing? Or is it just patience?

Why are you using the spline mapping tool after already generating UVs on a spline?

I will just model it as a spline with generated UV coords, then scale them appropriately in the UV editor. Afterwards, during mesh optimization, then I will collapse verts to retain my good UVs if needed (although in general I do not make objects that would benefit from imperfect pipes, as those are mostly useful for small nubs and fiddly bits that are better made as shrink-wrapped meshes.)