Home General Discussion

Legend of Grimrock

Hey guys!

I thought you could be interested about our new project. We are a new startup indie game company currently in development of our first game, an awesome dungeon crawler. The idea of the project is to combine the atmosphere and spirit of pure oldschool dungeon crawler spiced with today's gameplay innovations, technology and cool visuals. The game is going to be full of combat, dungeon exploration, mind blowing puzzles and intense atmosphere in the spirit of classics like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld and Arx Fatalis. We're moving in good pace and we're really happy how it's taking shape. But as indie = no money, we have to do our marketing and fanbase gathering guerrilla style, so you might run into this same post in some similar forum. So if you'd like to play this game on your iOS device, PC or Mac, please support us by spreading the word and liking us on Facebook. We're in this for real, so any help is much appreciated!

We'd also like to hear any feedback you might have: what sort of gameplay you would like to see, what platforms you would like to play the game on, etc. Anything else on your mind? We'll try to take everybody’s ideas and comments into account. Comment in here, Facebook, or in our blog. We are developing the game rather transparently, showing stuff as we get it done. This way we can get valuable input from the community (that's you guys) and make a better game.

We're planning of releasing lots of "making of" material in the blog in near future. Stuff like concept art, game art, animations, steps of creating the monsters, some code stuff and game design pondering. I'm pretty sure here are lots of people that find all that stuff interesting. So keep checking the blog. :)

Cheers, Juho

Visit our blog

http://www.grimrock.net/

Please give us thumbs up in Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/grimrockgame

We just released first batch of screen shots. Here's one of them for you. Hope you like it! Check out our blog for the rest.

screen_13.jpg

Replies

• Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Mad props to you guys, Eye of the Beholder was one of my favourite games ever back when I was younger and seeing this almost brought a tear to my eye.

Take my money already goddamnit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HnTeQFBIq0&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    looks awesome!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    saw this on shacknews, beautiful wedding of old school gameplay style and new school graphics!
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    This looks great. Just the sounds of the gates opening brings back a flood of good memories. Dungeon master, Lands of lore, and Eye of the beholder are some of my favorite games ever. Please have no auto map, I used to love mapping these dungeons on graph paper as I went.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    You guys are awesome, I noticed this on kotaku, looks fantastic.

Here's a tip for you: get Notch to notice this, his greatest weakness are dungeon crawlers in this style, a tweet from him would be some great PR.
  • diffa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld : Notch tweeted about grimrock yesterday -
    "I am a huge fan of first person dungeon crawls. This is a new game coming out that really nails it perfectly: www.grimrock.net"
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good graphics but I dont see the appeal, I never played any game like this, looks really wierd to play, like a point and click adventure in first person in a dungeon.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha, I missed that.

I guess he did pick it up from kotaku then :P
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »
    good graphics but I dont see the appeal, I never played any game like this, looks really wierd to play, like a point and click adventure in first person in a dungeon.

There were a ton of these rpg's back in the days, but it's basically a party-based roleplaying experience set in a maze like world (the layout that is) with some puzzles here and there, hidden passages and traps, and lots of leveling, items and monster-killing like you'd expect in a crpg.

They're tons of fun once you get into them.

If you're feeling brave you should start up dosbox and try out lands of lore, it's one of the most accessible ones. (by westwood, and featuring patrick stewart as the king!)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ2k5-viJ78[/ame]
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Yep. Pretty much been whoring this out on the facebooks and emails. Everything is looking so great, and I'm insanely stoked for it. Congratulations for everything positive, so far guys!
  • AlmostHumanJuho
    Thank you very much guys! We're just overwhelmed of the feedback we're getting. It's just crazy. The gameplay video has got some 160k views and we've exceeded out bandwidth 260%. When Notch tweeted us our webpage crashed instantly. It was awesome. :)
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome :).. Good job on this!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This looks awesome, you'll get my money.

Looks like it would be fun to build custom tile-sets for this, even if you don't seem to be going with procedural generation, I'd imagine you're doing things in a very modular fashion.
    Level editor plus tools to import custom assets would be great, I'd love to make my own dungeon in a game like this.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I like the graphics and the idea but the "step" by "step" walking would annoy me i guess. I know in the old games it was that way of performance reasons (i guess) but nowadays i would expect some more "free" move style..
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    SimonT wrote: »
    I like the graphics and the idea but the "step" by "step" walking would annoy me i guess. I know in the old games it was that way of performance reasons (i guess) but nowadays i would expect some more "free" move style..
    this
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    new trailer!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep97ba_uWXM"]Legend of Grimrock Beta Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    So oldschool, cant wait to check it out!
    loved Eye of the beholder
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    best.....thing.......ever.....argh!
  • AlmostHumanJuho
    Thanks for all the comments! I'm sorry I haven't had the time to keep this thread updated, we've been super busy with the game. When we get it done I've planned to do a big art dump of all the stuff (basically all the art) in here.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    I need to play this, like yesterday already! Seriously awesome work you guys! It's fantastic to see the good old dungeon crawler returning!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the comments! I'm sorry I haven't had the time to keep this thread updated, we've been super busy with the game. When we get it done I've planned to do a big art dump of all the stuff (basically all the art) in here.

Much deserved, this looks to be a fantastic release.

Just wondering btw, has there been any thoughts on modding support, map editor and such?
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    SimonT wrote: »

I disagree, completely. The grid movement is part of the appeal... at least to me.

Very warranted praise, this is shaping up quite nicely! I can't wait for the release and the subsequent art dump.

eld wrote: »
    Just wondering btw, has there been any thoughts on modding support, map editor and such?

+1 I do hope for mod and editor support.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    http://www.grimrock.net/2012/03/09/release-candidate-1/
    Needless to say, all of this seems very promising to us and we hope the game will find its audience when it is released in April.

Well, we’re no longer in beta, baby! On wednesday, we built the RC1, or release candidate 1, version of the game. This means that we “freeze” the development of the game (by stopping adding new features, basically) and start concentrating entirely on getting the game as stable as possible for the release.

Soooooon! My body is ready. Grimrock cannot come soon enough.

Also, a note on the status of Modding support, picked from the Grimrock forums:
    Modding support requires a game update and we can't risk making big changes to the game so close to the release. So it will have to wait for awhile.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    damn, looks like they've put some serious elbow grease on polishing this game, i would play it just for the puzzles!
  • AlmostHumanJuho
    Hey guys. It's nice to see that you're waiting for the game. As you can see from the comment above, we've reached RC1 and basically froze the content. I did lot's of minor tweaks to graphics to polish out the roughest edges just before the freeze. I'm pretty happy how the graphics turned out and I'm ok to ship it as it is. Naturally there's always something to improve, but maybe in the next game :).

I'm super busy with the marketing and launch stuff atm. But hopefully when things calm down a bit I can find some time to put the art dump I promised here.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Geezus wrote: »
    I disagree, completely. The grid movement is part of the appeal... at least to me.

it looks like without the grid movement the puzzles wouldnt work as the puzzles often involve entire blocks on the grid that you need to avoid...where normally you could just kinda squeeze past or find a little ledge to stand on haha.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Geezus wrote: »
    Also, a note on the status of Modding support, picked from the Grimrock forums:

Better later than never!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    So, this game, it's out now for cheap, and it's pretty damn good, you should all go play it.

I'm only at fourth level but I'm loving it, mod tools please!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    grimrock kicks ass! I love it! excellent job on capturing the retro feeling without giving in to pixelated 2D graphics
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Picked this up last night. Diggin it so far!
  • Tom3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom3D polycounter lvl 8
    Really enjoying the game, I love being able to plot areas on the map to find my way around the levels
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Bloodwych, Bard's Tale, Hired Guns awesome, what specs does it run at? Thinking about getting it for my commute. Seriously looks good, loving the Land of Lore videos alos, had to skip to near the end after number 16.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Been playing it since release, fantastic job guys. :)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Started playing last night, about five hours in and enjoying it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Can anyone confirm if you can change the distance you can view in the map? I looked at the options, and couldn't see such parameters to change.

Some of the puzzles are ridiculous (such as the Light Pillar one, with the teleporation spam-o-rama segment) because I couldn't see the block I had to throw a rock at across the room, so I had to resort to a guide, and blindly follow what it said, because (again) I couldn't see anything 2-3 blocks away from my adjacent block.

Also, can you slow down the speed of the game in the ini or something? Again, some of the puzzles require some fancy footwork to progress, and considering this is a grid based game, the quick pace at which sometimes you frantically press buttons to get to location X before timer Y expires isn't the best idea in the world.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome game! worth every penny
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    ok, played a ton this weekend. Really love the game.

I did run into a case where I couldn't solve a secret that I think is due to not moving fast enough. Yet, I had no trouble with the three spectral lights / iron door speed movement puzzle.

Btw, there is no frantic button mashing. If you hit the left 3 times, you move left 3 times. It stacks your actions. Which is a real helpful tip for the above mentioned puzzle. I had to be super precise.

#1 tip for new players, right click on hands = attack. They mention nothing of combat in the tutorial. lol
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    No, the speed is OK, an example of what I mean is the part where (those who reached it will know) you click on a block to bring up some tiles in the next room, need to rush over there to click on another block on the 'brought' up tiles, rush back on solid floor before the tiles collapse and make you fall.

The wort part is, you need to rush from the solid floor to another 'hole', before the teleporter appears, or else you have to repeat the whole puzzle again.

Is it hard? No, but some peeps like me would like to play the game at a leisurely pace, enjoying the environment, ambiance, and puzzle for their skills, not how many times I pressed forward wrongly and ended up falling in a hole, forcing to cheaply reload a save or redo an entire puzzle from the start of the section with 3 or 4 rooms involved.

I seriously want to love this game, but the lack of fallback context is really off-putting. I'm not lazy, I don't want to spend time doing something which lacks skill effort my behalf other then counting keystrokes.

Still, solid game.
  • juhone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juhone polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, it's me AlmostHumanJuho but I forgot my password and didn't bother to dig it up so I use here my "background lurker" alias.

Big milestone for Legend of Grimrock and for our small studio Almost Human. Just couple of days ago we announced the public beta of LoG Dungeon Editor! :poly136: Woohoo!

You can start building custom maps, wallsets, items, monsters and stuff. The beta is available for Steam users that have LoG, just right click the game on the library - select properties - beta - choose BETA - public beta from the dropdown menu. After the beta has ended all the other platforms get access to the editor, so no worries if you bought it from GOG.

Check out the Dungeon Editor Trailer

More info about the modding here.

Hope you enjoy it! :)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love this game! I remember when I finished it one of the first things I said was... wheres the editor I want to make some dungeons!!

Awesome job guys, it looks so polished too! Can't wait to have a play with it!
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Just wanted to pop in and mention that I'm working on en importer/exported for 3dsmax for grimrock model format at the moment. I'm hankerin' to make some old school dungeon monsters, so this seemed like the logical first step. :)

so far basic mesh import, uvs, skeleton, and skin weights are done. Once I sort out the normals I'll create the exporter to match. :)

P4HHE.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    !!!!!! oh man... Dude cw your the best!!