Home General Discussion

stupid things you HAVE to do at work

anyone have some odd/outdated/annoying workflow or whatever that you HAVE to do at work? I have a couple that really blow my mind. Also Im listing a bunch of just pure oddness that Ive tried to educate people about, but they just dont listen.

1) no normal maps, we are forced by popular vote to use bump maps on our work.

2) no wacom tablets, most of our stuff is all painted with a mouse, its super fun! :(

3) non ^2 textures for faster rendering and easy editing/tiling, drives me insane...... I brought it up and they all chuckled and said I didnt know what I was talking about.

4) no high res textures, i get a 'talking too' if I use a high res map (read 1024 or higher) on my illustrations.

do any of you guys have anything awesome to add to the list? current or past jobs? or am I just super unlucky?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wonder how many people are going to mention using normal maps that are not synced with the baking program...
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    We don't use computers. We really should get onto that.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    Hansoft or any other SCRUM planning shit where you have to fill in "points" and other arbitrary estimates .. am I right guys? eh eh eh?.........
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    oh, i had lots of fun with scrum too.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I thought Hansoft was great, it got artist to track their time better and started building a graph of the team's productivity - which kept going up. The art team at Mythic was turning into a mean Hansoft using machine before most of it got laid off :-P
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    illo wrote: »

2) no wacom tablets, most of our stuff is all painted with a mouse, its super fun! :(

FUUuUuUuUu!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Scrum is awesome, Dont diss it till youve tried waterfall.

Illo, are you indeed sure your coworders are not trained monkeys and are indeed human?
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I don't have anything stupid to do at my work ever! Everything is sunshine and rainbows!

TonyStarkRainbow.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's stupid that I've never got a chance to work on a crappy game, why do I have to love the games I'm working on?
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    we started our project with scrum, but there were so many things that didn't make perfectly sense for our situation and we slowly started driving away from the original scrum concept doing our own version of scrum. at some point our scrum master put an end to that and we switched back to real scrum, but it just happened all over again :D
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never had problems with scrum as long as you have one scrum master who's in charge of it and on the department head's asses about it. Otherwise, like any other system, it breaks down.
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Scrum is awesome, Dont diss it till youve tried waterfall.

Illo, are you indeed sure your coworders are not trained monkeys and are indeed human?

No promises on them being human, Ive tried some cylon tests but they seem to be negative...not sure on the monkey's though.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like a modified version of scrum.

I want to try waterfall.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I worked at a simulation company that used a "game engine" that was nothing more than basically a modified version of the Direct X model viewer. No lighting, no shadows, no normal maps, no spec maps. BUT, the owners always wanted everything to look as realistic as possible, so my boss's idea was just to tell us to use photos for our textures all the time. "Just stick a photo on a plane." Ugh.

Also, when I first got there, this same boss was big on ripping models, textures, sounds, whatever he could get his hands on, from other games and software and wanting us to use them in OUR software. The software team there still gets stuck having to use those assets. Used to infuriate me.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on a side note:

careful what you say here as there are tons of lurkers.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    anyone have some odd/outdated/annoying workflow or whatever that you HAVE to do at work? I have a couple that really blow my mind. Also Im listing a bunch of just pure oddness that Ive tried to educate people about, but they just dont listen.

1) no normal maps, we are forced by popular vote to use bump maps on our work.

3) non ^2 textures for faster rendering and easy editing/tiling, drives me insane...... I brought it up and they all chuckled and said I didnt know what I was talking about.

4) no high res textures, i get a 'talking too' if I use a high res map (read 1024 or higher) on my illustrations.

do any of you guys have anything awesome to add to the list? current or past jobs? or am I just super unlucky?

Wat? What sort of place do you work at? Don't you have any programmers pointing out the issues with non standard texture sizes ?

I can't complain at all really, everything is fine. Except maybe having to use the oldest, crappiest mouse in the office because the new ones they got bug out on my pc lol (we do have Wacoms).
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I can't complain at all really, everything is fine. Except maybe having to use the oldest, crappiest mouse in the office because the new ones they got bug out on my pc lol (we do have Wacoms).

Surely you can just bring in your own mouse? That's what I do every day anyway, the negligible "hassle" needed to carry it back and forth makes up for using a shitty mouse all day at work. Same applies to all hardware.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I can't really complain. My tablet is a little unresponsive sometimes and in the middle of a stroke it will just randomly lose sensitivity and create a massive paint splodge, but that's about it really. :)

How can you not have tablets? when I went to go get a different sized intuos3 it was like getting a piece of plastic from a bargain bucket. It's easy to forget how much they are actually worth. :)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    JFletcher wrote: »
    I can't really complain. My tablet is a little unresponsive sometimes and in the middle of a stroke it will just randomly lose sensitivity and create a massive paint splodge, but that's about it really. :)

Oh man I have that problem, so annoying :(
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yozora wrote: »
    Surely you can just bring in your own mouse? That's what I do every day anyway, the negligible "hassle" needed to carry it back and forth makes up for using a shitty mouse all day at work. Same applies to all hardware.

Yes, but I use an Evoluent vertical mouse that's not really cheap, prefer not to take it back and forth. They're too expensive to get a second one, so I just ordered some generic cheap vertical mouse that should be better than what i have anyway.
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Have to paint on my cintiq with the neons above turned on and they are reflecting on it.
    #1stworldproblems.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    fr0gg1e wrote: »
    Have to paint on my cintiq with the neons above turned on and they are reflecting on it.
    #1stworldproblems.

Computer blanket fort, 1st grade solutions!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    my monitors at work are so tiny that I have to hide the track bar, auto hide the task bar, move the graphite tools to vertical and go into expert mode to get a high enough res screengrab for approvals.....

#1stWorldDevProblems
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    My work makes me optimization my art by giving me low texture settings and tri counts. Clearly they dont know that makeing my art look good is more important then there silly game.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    monthly internet traffic quota of 30mb on my first job in games, in 2001
    had to beg for extra 30mb to download references

also, had to work on A6 wacom graphire for a while, because switching to A5 doesn't mean you'll work 4x times faster, lol

square wheels
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I used scrum at the last studio. What a joke it was, no fault of scrum though. The "15minute stand up morning meetings" always turned into a coder argument pit, usually the argument was unrelated to the project. The meetings never lasted less than 30mins.

Having said that, a friend of mine who also worked there now works at a "more professional" studio and says scrum is used properly there and its gets much better results.

In fact we are about to start using a modified stripped down version of scrum for our indie game dev.

Whats this waterfall I hear people talking about?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    can you not bring your own tablet to work?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats this waterfall I hear people talking about?

Water fall is simply, make a shit ass big list of things to do and do it.

Scrum has to be modified for game dev. With the meetings you should be tight on how its run simply say, what you did yesterday, what you plan on getting done today, and what impediments you have. Its not up to others to say if you are making a stupid commitment or not. All the meetings are for is transparency, not planning.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Having to make Collision and Shadow Blockers (proxy objects that cast shadows instead of expensive higher poly assets), FUCK that shit is boring.

But honestly nothing really shity like some of the stuff you guys are mentioning ha.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I dunno... I fucking hate making good shadow maps. This is 2012!! We can put a man on a moon but can't have proper real time lighting in unreal
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Having to make Collision and Shadow Blockers (proxy objects that cast shadows instead of expensive higher poly assets), FUCK that shit is boring.

But honestly nothing really shity like some of the stuff you guys are mentioning ha.

^5 baking lighting in Maya!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Pong was invented 3 years AFTER we landed on the moon, FYI.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    making pleasant UIs for TA tools takes lots of time. That's probably why so many tool interfaces look like a button garbage dumps.

Other than that...why's my sound not working?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I MISS SCRUM. At my current job we fill in weekly time sheets manually in Excel. Hours spent on each task on each project, what a joke! A few of us call them timecheats. They're excellent works of fiction, how they help the accounting department I will never have any idea.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18

lol
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    JFletcher wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that's a driver issue, I forget which but one of the recent wacom drivers did that to me so I reverted and it was all good.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I dunno... I fucking hate making good shadow maps. This is 2012!! We can put a man on a moon but can't have proper real time lighting in unreal

amen.

my work manager is moui... he usually makes me wear boxers and have a beer in stock, when i'm pushing polies.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I work from home.

Sometimes my wife makes me stop cutting geometry and help her finish the dishes or fold laundry.

It sucks.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    AGILE.

We call it 'frAGILE'.

Get it?!?!? GET IT??T

BTW Hansoft rules. You have no idea what kind of pain JIRA. I prefer DevTrack over JIRA.

And WTF Why do studios still use AlienBrain rather than PerForce???

:/
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The boss won't do what I say. Instead he wants me to do what HE says!
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    Specular has been broken for the past 2,5 years. Management doesn't think it's important enough to fix.

(Broken = Any rgb value above 10 results in a clearcoat on the object)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    According to my Doctor, working as Software Developer while having Tonsolitis diesnt have any effect of the healing time, thus im having tonsolitis since october

so crunch while being sick is not cool

also using old technology because project from 2003 needs some refreshment
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Oh, god! Creating collision meshes. What a nightmare that was. Glad I dont do it anymore.

@ JacqueChoi: I use Jira at my current job. I dont really have to do much on it though. Someone else does all the hard work. I just through my task so I'm not sure how crap it is.

We are using Redmine on our indie game though and I quite like it. Simple and easy to use.

btw, @ ZacD. I'm not sure what the first "True" video game is but Spacewar! was created in 1961 and I think thats considered the first "proper" video game. Earlier things were developed on cathode ray machines but i'm not sure they are considered true video games. Just so you know. :P
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just remembered back in my first job i had to draw my boss as a dante wannabe and model him for the shitty game they were making.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    SVN. It took me ages to get my head around that when I started using it. Conflicts and needing to do "clean ups" all the time, deleting things but not actually "SVN deleting" things, and SVN renaming, etc... I'm fine with it now though but its was horrible in the begining.

I'm now using Bizarre for the indie stuff which seems a lot more user friendly.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Having to explain to programmers why their 1 hour fix saves me several days of work, which usually ends up a avalanche of reasons why said 1 hour of work should not be done and that I should basically crop it up.
    Also, the exclusive use of JPEG compression for our textures...

Muzz: That's terrible and equally amazing as well. :D
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Built all the levels in Max and then had to seperate every polygon that I wanted to light up on its own when the player stood on it.

I'll always remember how the coliseum was broken down into 600+ seperate pieces and it took hours. Obviously human error meant I missed a few polygons and at some point I must have used the move tool to select some of them as there were tiny gaps in annoying places.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    MUzz, that actually sounds pretty funny! and badass.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    whats_true wrote: »
    My work makes me optimization my art by giving me low texture settings and tri counts. Clearly they dont know that makeing my art look good is more important then there silly game.

word.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't say this is stupid, just annoying.

But, having to wait 1.5 minutes for Maya to launch/be ready to use. Then part of that time, after loading, it has an error, crashes, and I have to wait another 1.5 again. So I usually waste at least 10-15 min. a day just loading Maya.