Home General Discussion

So the new iPad..

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
So with the new screen res, think it will be better for drawing apps?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Without pressure sensitivity or pen support? no.
  • Computron
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    all I wanted was pressure sensitivity. sigh. Sketchbook on this bad boy looks insane though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah really disappointed, I guess we are still not the target users for the ipad. That pen doesnt look great either, in the video on the website it lags significantly and it has a big bobble tip instead of a proper pen tip :(
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Some one is making a Bluetooth pressure sensitive pen with a proper tip.. I remember seeing it some where.
    Could have just been a concept though.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Any word on iPads having SD card slots or anything? I would love having those on one of them tablet thingies.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Samsung Galaxy note got a pressure sensitive screen and a pen, I think it's made by wacom. Although I haven't found a decent drawing app yet.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ There's a 10 inch version of that coming out soon, too. Do want.

And then there's the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    A guy at work told me it has around 2400 horizontal pixel resolution? That's insane for a screen that size!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's the only resolution they can possibly increase to without ruining pixel-ratio for older apps.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    /begin fanboy rant

For me, the iPad is, and always has been a device for content consumption not content creation. (EDIT: I actually do use it for making music a lot, so technically I lied here).

The iPad to me is a device to use when I want to get away from work. I want it to display all of my content, be that video, websites, RSS, books, magazines, whatever in a beautiful way with a simple, intuitive interface and in a nice industrial design. I think the iPad does that better than any other device on the market.

/end rant

I'm excited though. I just sold my first-gen iPad (skipped the iPad 2) in preparation and got a pretty decent resale price for it. I just hope I can pick one up before they inevitably go out of stock. I'm hoping I don't have to line up at the Apple Store next week but it looks like I'm probably going to have to (or order from the Online Store I guess).

That display though, 2048x1536... on a 10 inch display, is insane. I can't even imagine how good stuff is gonna look on it. The GPU seems pretty sweet too, according to Epic Games, it has 'more graphics processing power than the PS3 and 360'... although that statement seems like marketing bs, and I'm personally not a fan of many iPad games due to the lack of buttons/controls. Still, it'll be cool to see how pretty they can get the games looking with all this new power.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    TeeJay wrote: »
    /begin fanboy rant

For me, the iPad is, and always has been a device for content consumption not content creation, and honestly, I've never understood why people automatically assume it needs a pressure sensitive display/stylus to be useful.

It is one of the most powerful handheld devices out there, with touch input and tons of applications surrounding the actual creation of content.

If Jobs would've had his way there would not have been any gaming happening on these devices either.

For the insane price of these devices it's not too far fetched to get at least some kind of stylus support tech going, everyone uses these devices in their own way, there's no one right way.
    it has 'more graphics processing power than the PS3 and 360'... although that statement seems like marketing bs

More memory and resolution not that other stuff.

"[It has] more memory and higher screen resolution than the Xbox 360 or PS3..."
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    For me, the iPad is, and always has been a device for content consumption not content creation, and honestly, I've never understood why people automatically assume it needs a pressure sensitive display/stylus to be useful.

Yet a large portion of their presentation was about it's ability to edit photos and videos. Sounds like their goal is content consumption.

VPrime wrote:
    Some one is making a Bluetooth pressure sensitive pen with a proper tip.. I remember seeing it some where.
    Could have just been a concept though.
    Look two posts above yours ;)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    As a lesser swedish being I'll have to wait until the 23rd to get my fat fingers on it.
    Been looking forward to the announcement for a long time.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    All I see is a newer, more expensive iPad with a needlessly higher resolution screen.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    For pressure sensitivity check out

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonatherton/jaja-worlds-first-pressure-sensitive-stylus-for-ip

It should be out soon and sounds like a good alternative to Bluetooth eating up battery life.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    /begin fanboy rant

its got the word Pad in the title, like a notepad or a sketchpad? most people use pads with a pen or pencil, using a pad with finger paints isnt very fun or useful.

nice link jeffro!

Interesting fact - apple now expects all apps to have an icon that is 1024 by 1024 pixels...thats an icon bigger than an ipad2 LOL! 3G downloads have been bumped up to 50mb but apps that use the massive screen res could be up to 4 times the size of older apps. Consumers may think the new screen res is lovely but developers are probably quietly concerned about creating games for so many devices and still making it run acceptably and stay under 50mb. I mean the ipad 3 is 2048x1536 so its got a higher rez than any pc Ive ever used.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    They also demonstrated working with Autodesk.
    " Included in the presentation was a new product from Autodesk, called SketchBook Ink."

Sounds like they are really promoting 'creating' with it. It should have sensitivity if they expect people to use apps like Sketchbook.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Isn't pressure sensitivity handled solely by the stylus though? Even on Wacom products, the pressure sensitive part comes from the stylus, not the tablet right? Or am I incorrect?

It's down to Apple or a third-party to make a pressure sensitive stylus rather than the iPad itself having the pressure sensitivity.

With relation to your comment about the resolution Ged, I agree that it's bound to pose issues on various fronts for devs. Even on a basic level, to create a wallpaper for the iPad with both rotations in mind, you'd technically need a display with at least 2048x2048 to view it at full res. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure such a display does not yet exist.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fair while before we actually see much in the way of third-party apps that actually utilise the new resolution, other than apps which are primarily scalable graphics and type.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay - displays with resolutions that surpass that by orders of magnitude have existed for years. They are however not commonly made for the consumer market and as such have a high price tag.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    /begin fanboy rant

For me, the iPad is, and always has been a device for content consumption not content creation

I use my ipad as a midi controller - here's some cheesy electronic music I made with it
    It's SoundPrismPro using wireless midi to control Fruity Loops.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I'm probably getting a new iPad. I waited this long for a quad core version :) The transformer Prime looks good also.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I use my ipad as a midi controller - here's some cheesy electronic music I made with it
    It's SoundPrismPro using wireless midi to control Fruity Loops.

Yeah in fairness (and in complete contradiction to my original post) a large majority of my time with my iPad is spent making music. NanoStudio/BeatMaker/Garageband tend to be my weapons of choice although I have been meaning to check out some of the control apps like Lemur and some of the Moog stuff too.

From a music creation perspective I think the iPad really shines, and there's something quite cathartic about composing on it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    With relation to your comment about the resolution Ged, I agree that it's bound to pose issues on various fronts for devs. Even on a basic level, to create a wallpaper for the iPad with both rotations in mind, you'd technically need a display with at least 2048x2048 to view it at full res. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure such a display does not yet exist.

As far as I can tell, the largest resolution on a commercial display is 2560x1600, they cost around $1.2k and are 30"

Really the only thing I hope that comes from this is higher resolution displays, we've been "stuck" at 1080p for far too long. They have made 4k resolution tv's, but I'm not counting those.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I don't know who here was assuming it would need pressure sensitivity. There's certainly a lot of us who desire it though. I don't understand how that's confusing, or why we wouldn't want to be able to draw and create art on an ultra-portable tablet with other useful functions. I could picture myself carrying it everywhere and painting wherever I had the chance... the airport, my bed, on the train, etc. It would be incredible if the iPad was capable of it, especially with it's newfound retina display and the way Sketchbook will work on it.

I'm not too excited about the bluetooth pen options coming out because they will be completely dependent on whatever software you're using with them. You'll need a compatible program from what I understand.

It's obvious we're not the target demographic but there's nothing wrong with hoping it will happen. Because it will happen, just maybe not from Apple. As others have said there's already similar solutions, but nothing I would deem 'there' yet.

edit: if that jaja works well though I am all over that shit.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    whats the point of such high resolution on a screen that size, just seems like overkill, and more work for the GPU. also since it is a touch device anything the user interacts with needs to be fairly large anyways, so they can hit it with there fat fingers.

so the res cant even be used to make thigns smaller and get more usable screen space out of that 10inches.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's also no media content that can practically be consumed at that resolution with the exception of images. You don't find video in higher resolutions than 1080p except in extenuating circumstances.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    passerby wrote: »
    whats the point of such high resolution on a screen that size, just seems like overkill, and more work for the GPU. also since it is a touch device anything the user interacts with needs to be fairly large anyways, so they can hit it with there fat fingers.

so the res cant even be used to make thigns smaller and get more usable screen space out of that 10inches.

Once again, that was the only resolution they can increase to while still maintaining pixel-perfection with the old resolution.
    It's a perfect 2x2 of the old resolution.

Every pixel will end up being four pixels instead of being subject to filtering, without having to run any expensive scaling algorithms on it.

Also, all 3d content will scale without issues no matter how big you go,.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eld - that is of course ignoring the cost of rendering an image that is four times larger than before.

Is the visible difference going to be worth it on a less than 10" screen? I massively doubt it. I'd rather push more detail and effects.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd rather push more detail and effects.
    Luckily, it also does that. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ambershee wrote: »
    There's also no media content that can practically be consumed at that resolution with the exception of images. You don't find video in higher resolutions than 1080p except in extenuating circumstances.

Most movies are shot in 2k-4k but there is no way the iPad's little gpu could play that.

The main advantages are cleaner and easier to read fonts and photos. But at first glance, 150 ppi and 300 ppi look basically the same.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WarrenMarshall - I meant in context, not between hardware revisions. Why render an image of four times the pixel resolution when you could render an image of four times the geometry resolution instead? (It's a crude example, but surely you get the point?)

They don't just look basically the same - at that sort of pixel density, individual pixels won't be determinable anyway.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I've had an iPad2 for a while now, a little after they first came out, and I really love it.

I'm not sure I wanna upgrade to the iPad3. But what I do want to do is try out an Android tablet for a while. So I'm looking for an upcoming Android tablet that has similar specs to the iPad3. Can anyone recommend something like that?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    So it's already out of stock here in the UK... even the £649 4G model is showing a 3 week lead time. Apparently even at the smaller stores people were queuing for 12 hours+ last year for the iPad 2.

Looks like I'll be waiting a while to get hold of one.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Took me about 3 weeks to get mien last year, I was getting email updates of stock in all shops around the area etc but that was probably mostly due to the tsunami in Japan
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah, normally I wouldn't be particularly bothered about waiting an extra few weeks but since selling my iPad 1 I do miss having one quite a lot!

I'm really not into the idea of queuing for the whole day. Fortunately there's a bunch of electronics stores near me, including an Apple Store and an 'Authorized Reseller' so I'll stop by them and see what's what on launch day.

It's times like this that remind just how much of a fanboy I am.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really dont get the whole fan boyism thing, i would never camp out at a store just to get my hands on a material item, and it hurts my head thinking why people would do that.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    i really dont get the whole fan boyism thing, i would never camp out at a store just to get my hands on a material item, and it hurts my head thinking why people would do that.

Oh I completely agree, I queued for the original iPhone for about an hour but that's as far as I would go. I can't understand why people would spend longer than a few hours queuing up for something for no other reason than to get hold of it earlier than other people.

I rarely even go to midnight launches for games now, I suppose what you could say is I'm an armchair fanboy. I'll rant online but leave the queuing up to the real fans.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I get launch parties and midnight lines for games, there's communities around them and you can have a little party with friends, but hardware isn't very social in itself.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I get launch parties and midnight lines for games, there's communities around them and you can have a little party with friends, but hardware isn't very social in itself.

i wouldn't do that for a game either, but that makes sense to me atleast, since whit a launch party for a game it is gathering a ton of people who have experienced the same games, so it just turns into a big social thing with a context.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    As far as I can tell, the largest resolution on a commercial display is 2560x1600, they cost around $1.2k and are 30"

The 27" iMac has a resolution of 2560x1440
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There are 27" dells with the 2560x1440 resolution, Apple doesn't make the monitor panels, it buys them from other manufacturers, so no Apple display will be unique. They do have the power to buy only panels that hit certain benchmarks though (there's a lot of varation is traits of monitors performance, even from the same assembly line. But I have no proof if they do only select certain ones.

I wonder who is making the iPad monitor for them...
    LG made the iPad 2 display.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bollocks to midnight launches, hello pre-ordering which usually arrives a day or two early anyway...
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    In terms of screen resolution I think I'm pretty sure using a 60" HDTV I've been able to get much much higher than a 2560x1600 resolution.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    In terms of screen resolution I think I'm pretty sure using a 60" HDTV I've been able to get much much higher than a 2560x1600 resolution.

1080p is 1920x1080, do they make TVs that can go beyond 1080p?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Never heard of a TV bigger than 1080p. O_o
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1080p is 1920x1080, do they make TVs that can go beyond 1080p?

They have prototypes, but also you can buy projectors that go a little bit higher than 1080p
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    whats the point of such high resolution on a screen that size, just seems like overkill

That one is new to me - I've never heard anyone say that their resolution was *too* good :P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    TomDunne wrote: »
    That one is new to me - I've never heard anyone say that their resolution was *too* good :P

You at a certain point you cannot tell the difference between 150 dpi, 300 dpi, and 600 dpi depending on how far away you are. You don't want to spend 4x the gpu power on something that isn't going to look better.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    You at a certain point you cannot tell the difference between 150 dpi, 300 dpi, and 600 dpi depending on how far away you are. You don't want to spend 4x the gpu power on something that isn't going to look better.

If the iPad was trying to push pixels at 600dpi, I would get the complaint, but it's not even at 300dpi.