Home General Discussion

So the new iPad..

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    “If 10 inches distance (25 cm) is the POINT OF MOST DISTINCT VISION, then you find the circumference of a circle of radius 10 inches, which comes to 62.83 inches. The eye resolution at this distance is .0167 degree or one 1/21600th (or 1/60th of a degree) of this is 0.002908 inches (0.0074 cm pitch dot). To get this much resolution at 10 inch you need 1 / 0.0029 = 343 DPI. ” from an article of Josh HugFurther comparison and calculations

At 10in away 350 dpi is the maximum you'd ever need, photos are hard to tell apart at 300 and 150. At 2 feet its 150 dpi.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ambershee I totally agree with you I think the high rez screen is complete overkill and I would much rather have more polys more physics more shaders and longer battery life etc.
    Luckily, it also does that. :)

I will wait and see when we get an ipad 3 but Im quite sure that an ipad 2 will perform a lot better in any graphicly intensive app.

The iPad2 is like the iphone 3GS which only has to draw 480x320 pixels and actually runs some games a lot better than the iphone 4! Thats what we have found when developing apps its not just rumour, its simple fillrate issues.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The only benefit to a screen res that high would be for reading tiny text - but when it's that small it's probably woefully eyestrain enducing anyway..
    1080p is 1920x1080, do they make TVs that can go beyond 1080p?

Yep. Some of the top end toys can have four times that resolution. Where you'd get that from and what you'd want it for, I have no idea.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I've had an iPad2 for a while now, a little after they first came out, and I really love it.

I'm not sure I wanna upgrade to the iPad3. But what I do want to do is try out an Android tablet for a while. So I'm looking for an upcoming Android tablet that has similar specs to the iPad3. Can anyone recommend something like that?

I'm not sure about similar specs, especially not the silly screen resolution, but the current Android tablet I'm waiting on is the rumored "Google Nexus Tablet" which might turn out to be the Asus MeMo 370T.

And just throwing out a mention of SunVox which is pretty cool, because people were talking about creating music on their iPads.