Home General Discussion

KONY 2012

I saw this and loved the presentation and execution of this promo, so I thought I would share here. The video promotes a great cause, I'm sure you will see. Just a heads up, the video is very overwhelming.

vimeo.com/37119711

[vv]37119711[/vv]

DIRECTOR: Jason Russell LEAD EDITOR: Kathryn Lang EDITORS: Kevin Trout, Jay Salbert, Jesse Eslinger LEAD ANIMATOR: Chad Clendinen ANIMATOR: Jesse Eslinger 3-D MODELING: Victor Soto VISUAL EFFECTS: Chris Hop WRITERS: Jason Russell, Jedidiah Jenkins, Kathryn Lang, Danica Russell, Ben Keesey, Azy Groth PRODUCERS: Kimmy Vandivort, Heather Longerbeam, Chad Clendinen, Noelle Jouglet ORIGINAL SCORES: Joel P. West SOUND MIX: Stephen Grubbs, Mark Friedgen, Smart Post Sound COLOR: Damian Pelphrey, Company 3 CINEMATOGRAPHY: Jason Russell, Bobby Bailey, Laren Poole, Gavin Kelly, Chad Clendinen, Kevin Trout, Jay Salbert, Shannon Lynch PRODUCTION ASSISTANT: Jaime Landsverk LEAD DESIGNER: Tyler Fordham DESIGNERS: Chadwick Gantes, Stephen Witmer

Here is the offical site, kony2012.com

Replies

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    tnx for sharing this!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Good watch! wow.

Check out the plays on the video...

march 3 = 4
    march 4 = 8
    march 5 = 58,000
    march 6th = 566,000
  • Joker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Good watch! wow.

Check out the plays on the video...

march 3 = 4
    march 4 = 8
    march 5 = 58,000
    march 6th = 566,000

Wow, I didn't see! I just saw it on my facebook feed and I was impressed.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Send an blitzreig of saved junkies armed with the serenity prayer and a SMG. Fuck kony up preacher man!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Childers
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZnuOse8LpQ&feature=player_embedded"]Machine Gun Preacher... Sam Childers... Documentary Clip - YouTube[/ame]

Machine gun preacher.
    Sam_Childers_2009.jpg
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    hearts and minds

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y3K_JAMrmY&feature=related"]Interview With Gerard Butler on 'Machine Gun Preacher' in Dallas Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eddnloOFjwY&feature=related"]Machine Gun Preacher - Movie Trailer (2011) HD - YouTube[/ame]
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Website is getting hammered with traffic
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Just watched the video.. pretty inspiring stuff.

I hope it all works out.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    hah, i just posted this in the Youtube thread, didnt know it had it's own thread. Loved it man! great film.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    just watched it on youtube, surprised to see so many dislikes... and i guess the counter is glitched by the popularity of the video in such a short time

views: 54,117
    dislikes:1,827

- in comparison to the likes its not that bad i guess... but im really shocked so many people actually hit dislike considering the ratios i have seen on other videos. Im going to assume its people who want their government to focus on their own country perhaps
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    really great video, coming from a country with some of the same issues and having to flee with my parents as a young child i will be donating and showing my support on all my social media feeds!
  • Tom Pritchard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was moved by this last night, and so I'll be partaking on April 20th. I'm really glad that this caught on as it has, we just need to follow through now.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Don't get me wrong he's a bad guy, but for a different perspective...

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    EDIT: This is one of those "I probably shouldn't make some sleep addled late note post here" kinda threads. Gav's link covers everything I wanted to say. Make sure you give it a read if you're feeling inclined to support this charity.

We could really use a delete button.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    gavku wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong he's a bad guy, but for a different perspective...

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

yep
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I've come to be massively skeptical of any viral 'share this around' videos or images appearing on facebook, largely because they're almost always full of skewed and biased bullshit and intent on fulfilling some kind of specific agenda.

Persistant examples include the 'poor Calderon Dolphins being massacred for fun in the Faroe Islands' (no such animal exists, beached pilot whales are slaughtered humanely for food), or the 'Illegal Immigrants in the UK get twice as much in benefits as pensioners!' (Illegal immigrants get nothing, becuase they are illegal immigrants and therefore not in the system).
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Foreign Affairs has claimed that Invisible Children (among others) “manipulates facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA’s use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony — a brutal man, to be sure — as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil.” He’s certainly evil, but exaggeration and manipulation to capture the public eye is unproductive, unprofessional and dishonest.

Oh? You mean like every news channel on the planet? Everyone exaggerates information to get their point across... What's their point?
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Their point is to be aware and use discretion. More information is a good thing.

Hyperbole from the mouth of an standup comic is a little different than a multimillion dollar charity business. Nobody is stopping anyone from contributing to the cause.

Some people take Michael Moore's films as the truth.

Film is very much a powerful medium and it's very easy to get caught up in it emotionally.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Exactly. It's one of those cases where people actually need to sit down and understand the issue before they throw a video like that around.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    To be fair, when I watched the video it was pretty clear to me they wanted to get rid of Kony by sending troops.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Just to back up the visible children tumblr, here's a pic of the guys with some friendly militia

IMG_2941.JPG
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Some great weapons ref there.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    This was old news 6 years ago.
    http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

Also it was recently shown that Uganda has oil. So I guess we better rally the troops to look for Joseph Kony in Uganda.

Cashing in on Uganda's oil boom
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15645354

Uganda’s Oil Could Be Gift That Becomes a Curse
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/world/africa/uganda-welcomes-oil-but-fears-graft-it-attracts.html

Uganda and Tullow sign deal to start oil production
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16872987
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    If we really wanted to take down shitheads like the LRA, we should never have shut down groups like Executive Outcomes and Sandline. They were extremely effective janjaweed-be-gone, and the powers that be squashed them for making the UN and African governments look just as nutless, incompetent, and corrupt as they really are.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    People are idiots.

‎>make video about problems in africa
    >talk solely about white american son
    logic
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    People are idiots.

logic

hammer -> nail's head. the whole thing smells very much like a neo-white-man's-burden deal. there're probably a gazillion grassroots ugandan organizations more worthy of our attention and aid.

but yeah. fuck the LRA and props for raising awareness (if a little late).
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant tell whats going on here

Are they using kids sad faces as a reason to get that Oil in Uganda or do they actually want to help? So many sources lead to them wanting what Uganda has and my Facebook news feed is all about helping the children?!?
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    I usually don't believe in all the internet heroism "like/share this and save the planet" kind of stuff but this video was very well put together. It's clear in it's message and imo doesn't hide the fact that it wants Cony gone even if it takes some hard measures .
    People are idiots.

logic

people need this to be able to relate,otherwise they just wouldn't give a fuck . which is sad but true
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Supposedly its an elaborate scam and they've pocketed tons over 2 years because of it

http://stopthescam.tumblr.com/
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    Supposedly its an elaborate scam and they've pocketed tons over 2 years because of it

http://stopthescam.tumblr.com/

The Invisible Children "organization" has some very shady roots. They've been implicated or connected to weapons deals and other stuff that one doesn't normally associate with legitimate charities.

The bottom line is this: what has been proven through decades of trial and error and case histories at this point is that if you want to make Africa a better place, you go there, you pick up a goddamn rifle, and you start using it on very bad people. People like Kony and the LRA and RUF and Mugabe's henchmen and the janjaweed and Somali al Qaeda extremists and any of the endless list of genocidal, illegitimate, destabilizing mobs of violent psychotic armed thugs running around in that neck of the woods. Africa, sadly, is not running a deficit of them... because the organizations that claim to be the ones with the sole jurisdiction of actually doing something about the problem are either ineffective and impotent to the point of counterproductive, or they're corrupt beyond imagination and actively creating the problem, or both. And that includes most or all of the UN "peacekeeping" forces, as well as most of the African Union troops.

Thousands of UN peacekeepers and all kinds of international hand-wringing couldn't stop mass murders and terrorist anti-government forces running loose around Sierra Leone. Executive Outcomes stopped the problem cold, and did it FAST, with a handful of highly-trained private .mil contractors. And then they got shut down by world governments for having the gall to do publicly and effectively what the governments were incapable of and unwilling to.

Intellectual empathy is good and all, but hitting "Like" on Facebook for a memey YouTube video doesn't stop villages from getting chopped up by madmen with machetes. Shooting the bastards responsible does.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    interesting. its cool that its spreading awareness, watching that one video and blindingly sharing it is stupid I agree, but if say 5-10% of the people who watch it begin to research and become more informed on the situation as a whole, not just focused on the charity, you would have to be an idiot to say thats not beneficial.

If you think that most charity's don't end up sending a fraction of the money to the actual cause its incredibly naive. hell, Bono's chartiy ended up sending a whopping 1.2% of the acutal money collected to its cause. ohhh hes such a humanitatrian.....

That article has some good points against them for sure. the funny thing is some of you guys make it out like spreading awareness on issues like this is useless. The video doesnt talk soley about his white son (he focuses on that for like 3mins), regardless of their motive there are so good ideas in there.

The whole point of the video isnt about sending money to help kids in africa, or donating to get aid there, those are side notes. the whole point is its a social experiment to see if there are ways to get people to care about things that are not constantly in their face. The whole point of this is to find a way to get things everywhere using tools like facebook and shit. Its an interesting idea seeing as how we have become so connected through social media over the last 10 years or so. It might be a cool idea to use all this social media stuff to do something other than share status updates about the pork chop you ate for dinner or how you got so wasted on the weekend.

The concept of wanting to help people or change things for the better being met with scorn and indifference is pretty appalling. Sure they are manipulating the situation to have a more biased argument, but then again who the fuck doesnt do that these days?

The bottom line of this rant is: its up to you to inform yourself and read up about things like this, not base your opinions on a single video. Meeting the attitude of wanting to help people and the desire to make the world a better place with sarcasm and idiotic parroting of "white mans guilt" is exactly why the human race is probably never going to change.

I dont care if you are black, white, hispanic, purple or fucking green toothed, being aware of whats going on in the world and feeling empathy towards my fellow human beings is worth a couple minutes of my time. garage bay is right, feeling that empathy isnt going to stop that shit, but look at this thread here. 20-30 people discussing it that wouldn't have any thought about it before reading this thread if can get that going on a global scale, its an interesting 1st baby step.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher, I think the point I was trying to make kind of undercuts that... to a point. Being informed is ALWAYS positive, but people need to realize when they're watching this just how many things are deliberately stacked in the way of any attempts or efforts they may make to actually do something. Most of them won't. And considering the consequences that have been shown to befall those who charge in blindly, that's a depressing and potentially dangerous lack of knowledge.

Lots of people caring won't matter. Lots of people donating money won't matter. Previous results from those two factors has shown that public outcry and influxes of money accomplish nothing (or more often, with the money, end up benefiting people it was supposed to be used against... see Adid et al).

Public outcry in Western nations won't matter (it won't matter in Eastern nations either, because they're either politically impotent on this scale, or if they're China, they're currently actively profiting from African upheaval). Public outcry could only accomplish one thing - pressure on Western governments to actively intervene.

After the disasters in Rhodesia, Somalia, Rwanda, and Sierra Leone, Western governments will no longer commit significant force to sub-Saharan Africa. They simply won't. They don't want to. There is no desire by the governing cultures and establishments in western nations to do a damn thing. And that carries over to the UN, which is actually counter-productive wherever they go, as Sierra Leone and Rwanda showed so clearly.

Here's the catch: not only do those governments - and the UN - refuse to do anything, they'll impede and stonewall and shut down any attempts by private groups to actually do something. Their view is that a private group accomplishing what they cannot will beg questions about their legitimacy, credibility, and quality... and those would indeed be valid questions. 1,000 people getting stirred up by the YouTube video who actually try to organize a Non-Governmental Organization to bring relief and justice to that region are going to find themselves buried in all kinds of international bureaucracy and red tape and flat-out bullshit that arises when upstart private citizens have the gall to attempt and succeed where the international political establishment has failed. They failed bigtime, and they have therefore resolved that no one else shall succeed and make them look bad.

So if the only outcomes of YouTube-ite public outcry and public donations are either "nothing" or "making it worse", then trying to whip those up with a YouTube video accomplishes vast quantities of a result somewhere between... "nothing" and "making it worse".

Like I said before, if you want to improve Africa, the past many decades have shown that the only proven method of doing so is having the necessary skills, traveling there, picking up a weapon, and getting your hands very dirty. Africa is burdened by a surplus of terrible monsters like Kony, Blahyi, Mugabe, Taylor, and scads of others that simply need killing. Sandline did it, Executive Outcomes did it in Sierra Leone, Task Force Gothic did it in Somalia, the Selous Scouts and the Rhodesian military did it in Rhodesia against ZANU-PF.

It is the Only. Proven. Way.

Everything else has failed spectacularly, and having been stung repeatedly by those failures, governments across the globe now have more interest vested in ensuring things stay that way to protect their own public appearances.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    friend sent me this on facebook, thought it be good to break up all the text on this page lol

H0D8X.jpg
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I though the video was very well done but I couldn't help but feel like the purpose of this is all wrong.

For a start making Kony "famous" is not right. He is meant to be infamous, the posters make it look like a new presidential candidate to vote for and when people look it up and find that the original communication doesn't meet that their brains will automatically go into defence mode. Sure there will be more awareness but if I was a fresh viewer of a KONY 2012 sign with no prior knowledge of this and googled it I would then be sitting there going, "Wait, what is this?" All confused and disoriented about their mission.

Not only that but targeting one man is so pointless. It's not Hitler, we're not in a world war with Africa. When he is taken out (and I mean killed, that's what this movement is advocating surely) then everyone will forget about this thinking it's over because we solved one problem. But it will just continue, this campaign is not "Fix Uganda" it's "Stop Kony" and the country's government and social structure is going to be in the same terrible state that it is now.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum wrote: »
    I though the video was very well done but I couldn't help but feel like the purpose of this is all wrong.

For a start making Kony "famous" is not right. He is meant to be infamous, the posters make it look like a new presidential candidate to vote for and when people look it up and find that the original communication doesn't meet that their brains will automatically go into defence mode. Sure there will be more awareness but if I was a fresh viewer of a KONY 2012 sign with no prior knowledge of this and googled it I would then be sitting there going, "Wait, what is this?" All confused and disoriented about their mission.

Not only that but targeting one man is so pointless. It's not Hitler, we're not in a world war with Africa. When he is taken out (and I mean killed, that's what this movement is advocating surely) then everyone will forget about this thinking it's over because we solved one problem. But it will just continue, this campaign is not "Fix Uganda" it's "Stop Kony" and the country's government and social structure is going to be in the same terrible state that it is now.

Yep. I wasn't going to go there, but somebody else I was discussing this with who has actually fought in Africa pointed out that 30 seconds after Kony is dead, an even worse shithead will take his place.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    vik wrote: »
    24x11xt.jpg

hahaha.

man, this turned ugly real quick. :(

just read that visible children tumblr.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    To all those that doubt the organization and its mission, watch this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji7IaxReuv8"]KONY 2012 Scam or Not? - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    aVJo5.jpg

seriously though.... +1 PixelMasher and Kot_Leopold
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    What bugs me about this is, why is it we're suddenly interested in something that is over 10 years old now? This isn't news, and Kony isn't even in Uganda anymore. Why are we afraid of what Kony might do, when the Ugandans are not?
    Coincidentally, oil has recently begun being extracted from Uganda, only the US isn't the one extracting it... yet.

This was an interesting read. I'm not saying it's the 100% truth, but the person does know what she is talking about:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/qm349/why_the_kony_documentary_and_invisible_children/

By supporting Invisible Children, you support military intervention, causing issues where there aren't necessarily any at the moment. This will do nothing but bring back violence to Uganda. Even if he winds up dead, do you honestly think it will make a difference? Someone else will take his place in no time.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is by far the best take I've seen on the whole thing so far:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2012/mar/08/kony-2012-what-s-the-story?fb=native

Take into account that a large number of the sources cited here are professionals living and working in Uganda for various ends.

One interesting and key consideration is the budget breakdown of 'Invisible Children' placed in real context. If it's correct, it turns out they paid ~$1.7 million in salaries to their ~100 employees last year. I'll let you do the math there. Then there's ~$400,000 on their office and obscene amounts of 'travel expenses'.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    What bothers me, is seeing people on the news this morning, talking about all the things they are doing to raise money for this. The money isn't going to do shit. They need to spread the awareness. Sending money to an organization, that will only use a small percentage of that money to raise awareness, is only a waste. Spreading the word, in these days, costs basically nothing.

My other issue is, so what if you get Kony (if he is still running/doing things). Kill him, whatever. It won't stop a damn thing. The next asshole will rise to power. Look at Osama, he's dead, yet Alqaeda continues.

So great, April 20th, they are going to cover everything with their shit. Who's going to clean it up? I'm guessing your taxes are going to be wasted on government employees cleaning up the mess.

I hate to sound like an asshole, because I am aware of the issue, and I do want it to change. I just really dislike this approach. The video, and the idea to make everyone know the name Kony, is cool. It gives a single name/word to the issue.

For me, the bigger issue, is why no one is changing how Uganda's government handles this issue. Like many governments in Africa, Uganda's government is corrupt, and the world leaders should be doing something about that. Once again, here we come to police the world, which everyone bitches about, yet if there's a spec on the world that we aren't policing, we get asked why we aren't doing more in that spec.

And why did this guy's kid have to be in the video? It was just stupid and gimmicky.

Edit: I guess I kind of echoed what ZacD's video said (just watched it).
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Ignoring the issue of the video's message for a second, the way it was delivered is absolutely vomit inducing. It's hard to trust anything that's so obviously packed full of emotive insubstantial rhetoric

I guess that works better on some people than others :\
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    They've also made an official response to the haters: http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html

I'm not sure, but I like how this went from "booom attention" to "look into it more carefully before becoming a blind fanboy" to "we encourage you to look into it more carefully".
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji wrote: »
    Ignoring the issue of the video's message for a second, the way it was delivered is absolutely vomit inducing. It's hard to trust anything that's so obviously packed full of emotive insubstantial rhetoric

Bread and circuses, Benjicus.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Seriously getting tired of some of the self-indulgently cynical responses to the KONY 2012 project. Keeping a war criminal in the public spotlight, rather than letting him live in anonymity is good idea anyway you slice it. Disagree? Come up with something better. Saying its a waste of time, might make you feel better about your own lack of imagination, but it doesn't do shit for anyone else.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji wrote: »

You should watch some of Linkin Park's music videos if you want to see that shit taken to a laughable extreme, so bad that it almost seems satirical.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I found The Unknown Soldier comic to be an eye opening look at the problems of Uganda. The writer, Joshua Dysart, did pretty good research on the subject. I recommend!
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    ae. wrote: »
    Seriously getting tired of some of the self-indulgently cynical responses to the KONY 2012 project. Keeping a war criminal in the public spotlight, rather than letting him live in anonymity is good idea anyway you slice it.

Nobody here is postulating that. We're debating both the effectiveness and sincerity of the campaign. The campaign is clearly effective at spreading the word, whether it will be capable of what it is boasting is another matter. They're saying they're going to use social media to change the world... but if you ask me, Egypt and Libya beat them to it.
    Disagree? Come up with something better. Saying its a waste of time, might make you feel better about your own lack of imagination, but it doesn't do shit for anyone else.

Seriously dude that is an empty defence. People are allowed to form an opinion on something without being competitive experts in the field.
  • MadnessImport