Home Technical Talk

animating object within another (MAYA)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
so i'm having to animated an irregularly shaped object with an inner chamber (separate object) that needs to animate along with the outer shape while at the same time maintaining the offset between the inner and outer layers.

so far the best approach i've found is to set up clusters on the inner object, then parent them to vertices on the outer object. This works ok, but it is a very messy and slow process when you start bringing in multiple clusters.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    there might an infinite amount of presumptions one can make about the nature of the actual animation... ( even if one is lucky enough to understand the geometry shape requirements you describe perfectly? )

That would have nothing to do with the end result, and require a night of problem solving. Even if u can not show your work, the level of description u give would probably need a similar example at least?

0_11222955HL5hyCO9-2.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    MikeF wrote: »
    so far the best approach i've found is to set up clusters on the inner object, then parent them to vertices on the outer object. This works ok, but it is a very messy and slow process when you start bringing in multiple clusters.

Without knowing more about what you're doing, and from the workflow you're suggesting here, you might want to look into the djRivet tool. Similar to what you're doing now, but its 1) An existing script, so it might speed things up 2) Uses UV space to constrain vertices/cvs to another object.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Is this something that you could perhaps composite in post? I feel like that would make your life much easier. I'm not really sure what you're doing though.

There's a lot of different hacks I would investigate with this.

-Solid object, but with a shader that makes it look like it's two different ones
    -Both object parented to a hidden object that keeps them bound
    -Displacement map!

If I remember in the morning, I'll ask my coworker about this... him and I work on medical animations and I know this is something he's probably encountered before.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Alright, got something for you.
    Sounds like he could just could bake the animation of the outer object, duplicate it and scale it down. Just wait until he’s finished animating the outer object before even creating the inner chamber – sounds like more work just trying to animate the inner chamber along with the outer object throughout the animation if that’s not even necessary.

Would that work?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    thanks for the tips guys, unfortunately i cant really be specific as this is for contract work.

Stradigos: would love to be able to do this in post however it's for realtime deployment so that one is ruled out.

ended up strategically placing rivets on the outter layer then constrained them to clusters on the inner chamber