Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ghostbuster tf theme

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
Guess I should start my own thread for wip shots.

I finished the teleporter replacement trap.

trap_render01.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nukax0EwgcY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

and now working on the neutrona wand *proton pack gun*

team_proton.jpg

wand01.jpg

Once this is done I'll work on getting a pack replacement and slime blower for the kritzkrieg.

Also since the wrangler came out in the recent update might have to add the pke meter for the engy.

They're not exact replacements, I'm giving them some creative flair of my own and trying to match them with the tf2 universe.

Replies

• oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    thought I'd get to work on the pack some tonite. Don't think I'll include all the detail from the pack since it sits pretty huge on a back compared to the medics standard backpack. Just tackled the cyclotron part for now.

pack01.jpg
  • StolenPants
    Hey dood, good to see your throwing some more stuff down in the tf2 style. can't wait to see these in game
  • Kessler
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    ectoplasm!!! Good stuff man. Love you traps, They are right on mark.
  • tesher07
    Looks awesome so far! I really think there should be mods based around TF2 since there is this and TF2 1850's. Keep it up.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    worked on the pack more this morning. might hop back onto the wand and see what else I can come up with.

pack02.jpg
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    You are a God among men. Seriously, really enjoying the progress of this one. Can you post a wire of the backpack in full?
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    it'll need to be optimized some.

pack03.jpg
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside from needing some poly optimization i'm calling it done. Its roughly twice as many polys as the standard medic pack.

pack04.jpg

:edit: i posted too quick. 5 minutes of optimization and I got it down to 2600 tris. 1k over what the standard pack!!! :poly136:
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great idea, man!
  • n88tr
    I like the backpack, I can def see it in the game and not looking out of place.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    optimized. shaved 800 polys...

proton_pack01.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    BUSTIN MAKES ME FEEL GOOD!

-sorry

Pack looks great Oobersli, it'll be clearer witth texture but I think hyou've managed to fit the GB stuff into TF2 style quite well. I'd rather see classic proton zapper over the slimer but either way I'm frothing at the mouth for updates :)
  • Snake
    Offline / Send Message
    Snake polycounter lvl 17
    Hahaha, amazing! I joke all day about the medic being Egon. This just gives me another reason to think I'm not crazy and he does look like Egon. It would be really great if Valve makes this a new item.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    cool stuff man !
  • Mark Dygert
    Awesome! I really like the pack. The gun is pretty sweet too but I'm a little tossed on the placement of the handles, not much you can really do about that, unless you re-do the medic animations.

Didn't they do some ghost catching or chasing thing last Halloween?
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    ya, i'm with ya vig about the handle placement. It sorta ruins the look of it and looks awkward, but at the same time I don't want to do custom animations. Don't have the time or patience to anything like that. Now if someone jumped up and volunteered to do such, I would gladly fit the wand to look more like the original ;).

I'd think if I submitted this it could be an awesome halloween update. I said the same thing about my uncle sam america hat being a perfect hat to release on the 4th of july and that didn't get in tho.. :\

the ghost was just a random bot that would roam on paths and if it got you, you'd take like a stun penalty I think.
  • OMGod
    oobersli wrote: »
    ya, i'm with ya vig about the handle placement. It sorta ruins the look of it and looks awkward, but at the same time I don't want to do custom animations. Don't have the time or patience to anything like that. Now if someone jumped up and volunteered to do such, I would gladly fit the wand to look more like the original ;).

I'd think if I submitted this it could be an awesome halloween update. I said the same thing about my uncle sam america hat being a perfect hat to release on the 4th of july and that didn't get in tho.. :\

the ghost was just a random bot that would roam on paths and if it got you, you'd take like a stun penalty I think.

I think that'd be a great update for a Halloween release. If there were a few items for multiple classes then I think they'd consider it even more, as it wouldn't force everyone to play a class like they do whenever there's a class update for TF2 :)

Nice progress, can't wait to see the other things you cook up.
  • Cheeezy
    I think valve always had a soft spot for ghostbusters.
  • Andrew Mackie
    This is looking great!
    The tele replacement is fantastic and the animation looks solid.
    I can't wait to see how you texture the backpack.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, got the uv's layed out, baked some AO and starting to lay down some base colors.

packAO2.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    looks good Oobersli,

so, how is this pack split up then? an engie/medic combo?
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    so right now I'm thinking 2 items for the engy and the pack for the medic. If I can make the neutrona wand looks less stupid I might submit that with the pack. I may have to alter the design more to be more in comparison to the medigun shape.

i'm thinking the name of the pack will be something along the lines of "high-tech / medicine" or technology and medicine combined!!

changed the colors to be more like the proton pack. Dark and boring!!!
    packAO3.jpg
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an update to the lights. think I'll go back and rework how I'm doing scratches.

proton_pack02.jpg
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Weird question but could you post a picture along side the textured medic? The only crit I can give is your scratches and lights have a really subtle look to them. But then again it is for TF2 so it's a bit tough to say what'd be better, but I'm saying you're on the right path here.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Thought the lights would be team colored..
  • OMGod
    Thought the lights would be team colored..

Yeh I thought so too, I think you should make them a team color glow sort of. Good work so far, I'd say the scratches look fine when compared to models in TF2.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    ya I'll be making it team colored. So once again i can't figure it out, sure its something simple. but my vmt isn't being found. Heres both my vmt and qc. if anyone see's anything wrong, please lemme know. I'm also just using it to replace the halo for now so every class can wear the pack atm.

VMT

"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$baseTexture" "models\player\items\pack\pack_red"
    "$bumpmap" "models\effects\flat_normal"
    "$detail" "effects/tiledfire/fireLayeredSlowTiled512.vtf"
    "$detailscale" "5"
    "$detailblendfactor" .01
    "$detailblendmode" 6
    "$yellow" "0"

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "5"
    "$phongboost" ".1"
    "$lightwarptexture" "models\lightwarps\weapon_lightwarp"
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[.25 .5 1]"
    "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"

// Rim lighting parameters
    "$rimlight" "1" // To enable rim lighting (requires phong)
    "$rimlightexponent" "4" // Exponent for phong component of rim lighting
    "$rimlightboost" "2" // Boost for ambient cube component of rim lighting

// Cloaking
    "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"

"Proxies"
    {
    "weapon_invis"
    {
    }
    "AnimatedTexture"
    {
    "animatedtexturevar" "$detail"
    "animatedtextureframenumvar" "$detailframe"
    "animatedtextureframerate" 30
    }
    "BurnLevel"
    {
    "resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
    }
    "YellowLevel"
    {
    "resultVar" "$yellow"
    }
    "Equals"
    {
    "srcVar1" "$yellow"
    "resultVar" "$color2"
    }

}
    }

QC

$modelname "player\items\all_class\all_halo.mdl"

$model "Body" "proton_pack.smd"

$cdmaterials "\models\player\items\pack\"

$hboxset "default"

$hbox 2 "bip_spine_2" -8.500 -3.000 -8.750 8.500 3.000 3.750

// Model uses material "\models\player\items\pack\pack.vmt"

$surfaceprop "metal"

$illumposition 0.349 0.000 80.672

$sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    this is pretty tight! Tho, it seems you arent doing much to help out the outer silhouettes of items such as the main cable connecting to the machine, or the circle shapes.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    ya Raul I most def need to go back and play with the overall silhouette more. After getting it in I noticed it does very little. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I'm thinking I'll work on making the tank bigger and getting rid of the hose port on the bottom side. Also going to play with the shape of the hose on the side, and bending the antennas some.

Guess I'm just going to make this for the engy. I think it looks pretty cool on him. I'll need to lower the placement a tad as well. I need to think of a hat to go with it since this makes him bald atm. I've got it as a replacement for the halo. maybe egon hair.

pack01-1.jpg

pack02-1.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    oobersli wrote: »
    Guess I'm just going to make this for the engy. I think it looks pretty cool on him. I'll need to lower the placement a tad as well. I need to think of a hat to go with it since this makes him bald atm. I've got it as a replacement for the halo. maybe egon hair.

YES! DO it NOW
  • Ack Master
    very cute, love the team fortress style to it :) great idea!
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    took this yesterday. the pack is getting some changes so this isn't final geo.

team_proton.jpg
  • OMGod
    I think it looks best on the heavy, but that is probably due to it being centered high on the model, like you said. I think if you lowered it a bit so the red cyclinder is at shoulder level or something, then it'd look great for the engineer. Is this going to be a misc. item? If so, then you shouldn't have to make a hat or something, as it doesn't collide with the hat slot.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome on the heavy :) If you can make a hat like bill murrays hair, would look awesome on engineer that and move it down a bit like OMGod said.

ghostbusters-photograph-c10102485.jpg
  • spetch
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good man! I wanna see this with Ze goggles on his head.
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    this will be amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch wrote: »
    Looking good man! I wanna see this with Ze goggles on his head.

only thing about that is there's already a military goggles hat.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    only thing about that is there's already a military goggles hat.

That's what he was talking about. The name of that hat is Ze Goggles. Too bad it's not usable by the Engineer in game.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    How am I only seeing this now? This is awesome! By the way, I would put the triangles into the actual silhouette of the cylinders on the cyclotron and not the indentations on them, a normal map would sort that, especially considering theyre only going to be glowy bits anyway.

This make me wish the proton pack modelling Workshop had taken off :(
  • jojo54
    I've been looking for something like this for months, and it looks amazing! I just hope the thread isnt dead :( And one more question, will there be a download? Just asking.