Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    Tysho: did you paint the concept? the texture would look great using the same technique.
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    @Tysho that texture need a lot more color and some AO either backed in or painted

@cloudkookoo A great start for your first, however theres quite a few wasted polys and the front, specifically the belly/hips is looking pretty flat.

Again Sveen, stunning.

alright I think this fella is finished!
    muphyroMoreCharacter.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Sveen wrote: »
    screenshot_troll_boss_005.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys, very much appreciated.

Here's some wires/uvs and a texture sample. The edges/bleed is not prepared for mipmapping yet as you can see, this is just the 1k map before downscaling and edge fixups, etc. Additional mesh optimization is in the works, several places to save a few inconsequential polys here and there. Every little bit counts!

@ Bill Lowe: Thanks! I first make a "as-detailed-as-needed" zbrush sculpt, decimate it, bring it into max and project/bake the hires details onto a lowres model with decent uvs to get my diffuse base. This projection usually turns out pretty rough on such lowpoly topology but it still saves a great amount of time and gives you a very nice starting point to continue hand-painting on top of. Then it's all photoshop and Viewport Canvas (max) from there on, pushing and pulling verts around, adjusting uvs, removing seams, and so on.

Hey man, cool to see that the project goes on!
    Really sweet work
  • Tom Pritchard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a small speed modelling challenge with a friend. ~500 polys, < 1 hour.

k0Vfd.png
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Tysho wrote: »
    This tank/mech thing is currently sat at 718 triangles with a 512x512 texture sheet- I've seen a lot of incredible stuff here and would really appreciate any feedback- would this triangle count/texture size be too large for an iphone/ipad game? It would play a fairly small role in the game (if it ever was a game) and would be an enemy for the player to battle. Also any tips on creating the texture would be awesome!

718 tris is fine if you have about 4 or 5 or these on screen. If you are aiming to run on a 3gs imagine your game level and characters on screen and how many tris in total that would be, if its less than about 8000 tris you should be ok. Iphone 4s and ipad 2 will run a lot more than that though. I think a 256x256 texture will probably be enough unless those things fill a lot of the screen space. Good start on texturing, try and get that strong sense of light and shade light the concept then you could have the game use self illumunated or baked lighting but that all depends on the art style you are going for.
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on some modular oriental stuff for a level, first wall is done

modularchinwall1.jpg

Edit: Added more modular pieces

mentailoraintel2.jpg
  • Sveen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyhk: It's pretty much the same process, except instead of baking a normal map, you put a grey material on with your preferred spec settings etc, add a skylight and some basic point/spotlights (depending on which look you're going for), then simply bake a complete map (I recommend using Mental Ray with decent quality settings, tends to end up looking allright in my experience). Be careful not to add too much darkness/contrast value in your baked diffuse, or the lighting will typically end up looking a bit too harsh. That's it. Then, expect a lot of manual tweaking afterwards :).

Neox: Hey man, thanks! The project is coming along, tons of stuff to make still but that's what you get with only four guys on the team :). Will try to post some more stuff soon.
  • cloudkookoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cloudkookoo polycounter lvl 6
    Made some changes, and tried some rigging/posing. robotsb.png
  • oajfqadjm12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not quite done, but close enough, just the back of the shield and a little tweaking probably...crits?
    huang3.jpg
    huang2.jpg
    huang4.jpg
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Made some changes, and tried some rigging/posing.
    Awesome bro screens! Nice! :D
  • Leisure Centaur
    cloudkookoo

Looking cool but the arms seem a tad stumpy. Could do with a bit more length and perhaps the gauntlets could be larger for a bit of added interest?
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    cloudkookoo: Well, now it looks awesome! I agree with Leisure Centaure. Their arms are (or look that way frome that perspective) kinda short. The legs seem a bit short, not too sure.

nice posing, by the way.
  • Tysho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips, people- I'll see what I can do!
  • ChristianB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChristianB polycounter lvl 11
    Got to do some more work on Attack of the Horde, weapon for one of the characters:

weapon-1.jpg

Dont really get to do texture stuff anymore so was good pratice
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sveen wrote: »
    @ Bill Lowe: Thanks! I first make a "as-detailed-as-needed" zbrush sculpt, decimate it, bring it into max and project/bake the hires details onto a lowres model with decent uvs to get my diffuse base. This projection usually turns out pretty rough on such lowpoly topology but it still saves a great amount of time and gives you a very nice starting point to continue hand-painting on top of. Then it's all photoshop and Viewport Canvas (max) from there on, pushing and pulling verts around, adjusting uvs, removing seams, and so on.

Thanks man, seems obvious but I've not really thought about using ZBrush for low poly, makes sense! Awesome work :D
  • Diruengurei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is an exercise that i made for school.
    I had to replace the ship by another. I used this image for inspiration: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fjSBdTeSr08/SHENldSU1uI/AAAAAAAAAFo/rAPhE1j3uqw/s400/vehi_feng_image20.JPG.jpg
    I also changed the enemies and the song :D

It had to be in less than 700 triangles, and an only diffuse texture of 128x128.
    M57RU.jpg
    IuwLN.jpg

And there's a video in-game :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5w6wGgGhHY&feature=youtu.be
  • Tysho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the aim of the game to shoot Gerrard Butler in the face? lol

Put together some shots of my tank mech- I'm still not sure whether a 512 texture sheet is too big but I figured if it were in a game you'd only battle one at a time alongside a few soldiers. I did try a 256x256 texture sheet but it came out a bit blurry. Any crits are welcome because I may redo this one.

abbadonmech.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »

volvo440_unwrap.png

how did you get the texture below to show up on the uv editor?
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    there are settings in UV editor and you can adjust power of diffuse map along with all other colors for seams, grid, wire etc...
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    EDIT: Not exactly relevant, my bad, but still good info to quote...
    n88tr, check this out, it explains that. It's in Max, though- and so is Snader's. Not sure if you use Max or Maya:
    hathol - In the UV Editor, although your texture only previews within the 0,0 space (inside that little blue box), it is actually duplicated infinitely in all directions. So you can definitely have your shells outside of that little blue box, the texture will still be covering it, and there won't be any seams because, well - your texture is seamless! :D

In this example, none of my shells in fact happen to be in the 0,0. But it doesn't matter:

j1gbl.gif

If you would like your texture preview to expand beyond the 0,0 space, go to Options in the UV Editor window > Preferences . . . > Display Preferences, and increase the Tiles #.

The fact that the 0,0 space is replicated infinitely in all directions is the thing that was stopping me from understanding tileable textures when I was first learning it. I had the concept in the back of my mind, but it just wasn't clicking for me for some reason hahaha. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
  • Seyhk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyhk polycounter lvl 11
    Tysho wrote: »
    Is the aim of the game to shoot Gerrard Butler in the face? lol

Put together some shots of my tank mech- I'm still not sure whether a 512 texture sheet is too big but I figured if it were in a game you'd only battle one at a time alongside a few soldiers. I did try a 256x256 texture sheet but it came out a bit blurry. Any crits are welcome because I may redo this one.

abbadonmech.jpg
    No need to redo this man, it's looking good enough to me. Awesome! :thumbup:
  • Moesly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my latest work...enjoy :)

Lowpolybuilder_DetailKopie2.jpg
    Lowpolybuilder_Turnaround.gif
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow Moesly I love that! I especially like your construction of the hands, I honestly wouldn't have thought of bumping out a thumb like that.
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    Moesly: haha, it's great! Not a fan of the black outline, but the models are cool and I really like the colors.
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadownet752 polycounter lvl 6
    Little modular tiki with a diffuse.
    tiki.png
  • VLiwski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Diruengurel I love this. xD Nice work on the textures!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Moesly: Fabulous work man! One the best posted here lately. Congrats!
  • RedRaven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRaven polycounter lvl 10
    Little modular tiki with a diffuse.
    tiki.png

Lovely stuff here shadow. Lovely painterly style. Might I ask, how would you use this modularly? Are things like the horns, head and base all detachable so you can use them to build different totems?
  • Tysho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incredible work on that muscle man. I think i'm hooked on this thread... can't be healthy.

I've been working on a new original character- just wanted to get any feedback on the topology seeing as he'll need to have a good range of movement- I know the hands need more work. I may actually just make them into low poly fists- he's already at 888 triangles as it is. Cheers!

smilesunfinished.jpg
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    Tysho: you're making the characters from your concept! cool, can't wait to see this one textured. You need movement on the tail, right? well, I've rigged something similar some time, and I just treated it like an arm with multiple elbows haha.
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    Well here is what Ive been up to, I would love to here crits and comments on her:
    Queen.png

Tysho: totally stoked about that guy, I cant wait to see more!

EDIT: did a little bit more with the texture and got her posed.
    Queen-1.png
  • Seyhk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyhk polycounter lvl 11
    Making this guy just fo fun, kinda high spec to fit in the thread for now but...
    Derp!
    RapistPintado.png
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    fDds0.jpg
    working on our upcoming ios title. doing style tests.
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadownet752 polycounter lvl 6
    RedRaven wrote: »
    Lovely stuff here shadow. Lovely painterly style. Might I ask, how would you use this modularly? Are things like the horns, head and base all detachable so you can use them to build different totems?

Absolutely. While I don't have any immediate plans for re-purposing, I built this guy in separate pieces in case he would be needed for other projects. Head, horns, body and the bottom stand are all separate modular sections. Thanks for the kind words :)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Absolutely. While I don't have any immediate plans for re-purposing, I built this guy in separate pieces in case he would be needed for other projects. Head, horns, body and the bottom stand are all separate modular sections. Thanks for the kind words :)

Yeah really cool. You should build loads more heads, bodies and extra bits and make a big modular set.
  • Jacen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacen polycounter lvl 6
    I thought I'd take a break from TF2 item modeling and try something like this

This is my first ever full character model.

low_poly.png
    low_poly2.png
  • Giant Bwomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a low poly scepter based on a concept done by a co-worker.

staffscreen.jpg
  • ChristianB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChristianB polycounter lvl 11
    Here is a bit a of dump of the character done for the WIP Attack of the Horde game

Viking.jpg

Otoc.jpg

Monk.jpg

Cowboy.jpg

Bandit.jpg
  • Jacen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacen polycounter lvl 6
    I'm probably going to use these in my final project for a C# class.

The Doctor and his TARDIS.
    untitled-4.png
  • michael milano
    maryW.jpg

Hello,

I just saw this thread and wanted to post an art test from a while back. The original artwork is done by Max Gon, at ArtOfGon.com

The model is 997 tris, rendered with a surface shader with a 512 diffuse and 512 alpha map, hope you like it!

mike
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    she looks lovely :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    maryW.jpg

Hello,

I just saw this thread and wanted to post an art test from a while back. The original artwork is done by Max Gon, at ArtOfGon.com

The model is 997 tris, rendered with a surface shader with a 512 diffuse and 512 alpha map, hope you like it!

mike

Wonderful model. I love her drawing and colors. Congrats, sir!
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @michael milano - beautiful work, very clean.

Been working on a tower for a little project, the main base will be used for 3 or 4 variations, this being the first. I'll be adding a little more detail and a door next. (Scene is in Unity)

archertowerig.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice scene! pretty high specs required for all the polys on the grass and shadows on the trees?
  • Bill Lowe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    nice scene! pretty high specs required for all the polys on the grass and shadows on the trees?

Thanks! I dunno about high specs, I haven't tested the scene on anything other than my desktop. At production level I would probably bake the lighting and certainly reduce the amount of grass.
  • woodesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maryW.jpg

Hello,

mike

you should show off your low poly in your portfolio more, good stuff!
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    michael milano - Love her! Really beautiful work!

Some more of these things from our iPhone game; having to knock them out in around 3-4 hours each. Gotta love crunch!

Flanella.jpg
    Flanella - 918 tris

GenMale02.jpg
    Snooty NPC - 856 tris

GenFemale02.jpg
    Snooty NPC - 694 tris

GenFemale01.jpg
    NPC - 822 tris

FoogaSmooga.jpg
    Fooga Smooga - 440 tris
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options