Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Koski

Hello, my name is Isabelle, and I study Game Art at the Game Assembly in Malmö, Sweden.

I figured I should post some things here and get some critique on how I can improve, seeing as I'm a total beginner at everything to do with 3D.

First of is an assignment for school; a low poly model with a maximum of 500 tris and a 128x128 diffuse.

clockwork_by_koski_chan-d4ihz3s.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaWolf.png

Another more low poly model I'm working on rigging for a game in school
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    That is fucking scary ;o!.....

on a serious note tho! for one of your first models you are of to a great start! :)
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. I really like designing monsters. I have a whole army of them. Maybe I'll make more low-poly models out of them.

And thank you very much for the kind words!
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FPS weapon made for school.

I am... less happy with this one. Stupidly proud over my normal map, because of it being my first ever attempt at one. But the rest. Eh. I could have done better. In hindsight, I would have rather done a real existing weapon like a Barretta or, hell, a regular glock or AK. This design was honestly a little stupid.

steampunk_portal_gun_by_koski_chan-d4j90o9.jpg

Even so, pointers on how I could have done this better would be greatly appreciated!
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybersam polycounter lvl 8
    Your 3D work is loooovely, I havent got much to say on it, except try to make the Steampunk portal gun have a bit more gloss and ping to it :).
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybersam wrote: »
    Your 3D work is loooovely, I havent got much to say on it, except try to make the Steampunk portal gun have a bit more gloss and ping to it :).

aw thanks, you make me blush!

And yeah, I really want to work on the shading of the steampunk gun know that I understand how specular and gloss maps work. Probably going to play around with incandescence to make it glow and stuff. 8V

..... if I have time.

I will post more work from our current game project as it progresses.
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, here's the concept for my next school project. Character of a whopping 7000 tris. I've never modeled a head before so this is going to be an experience.

Didn't want to waste my time doing a super-detailed concept sketch, so it's messy. Hopefully you can tell what's going on.

not much room for personal tastes, the assignment was pretty set from the beginning. So colorscheme and overall design has to stay.

concept.jpg

Which helmet design should I go for?
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick picture of the model's face that I'm currently working on. Haven't added a specularity map yet, just diffuse and normals.

I think it looks decent enough for my first human face. c:

face_render.jpg
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished product!

I'm fairly pleased with this being my first human model ever. I have gotten feedback from my classmates, so I'm going to make some improvements on this when I can.

Especially improving the body mesh, redoing the specular and polishing the diffuse.

dead_face_carmilla_by_koski_chan-d4pom04.jpg
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An assignment for school Thumbnails for my first ever mech.

It ended up being an odd concept with a walking hotel that can travel the world on its legs, letting it's rich inhabitants see all the corners of the world.

Hotel_mech.jpg
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man! Forgot I had a sketchbook on here!

Been a long summer and it's already almost autumn.

I thought I'd add on to here a near complete texture workover of my astronaut character earlier!

New things for this version;

bulletgreen.gifReworked geometry - I added some more details, and defined a few shapes. I made parts of the model asymmetrical.

bulletgreen.gifCompletely reworked Diffuse Map - More details, more realistic rendering. The Diffuse is 90% drawn by hand. The only photo texture I used was for the fabric to get that denim pattern, but creases and dirt on the fabric are drawn by me.

bulletgreen.gif Completely Reworked Specular Map - I now understand how crucial a Specular Map works, and I've committed fully to try and define my materials with it, even daring to add some color to it for more interesting reflections. The Spec played a crucial part in making the chest armour look believable. I added in some yellow in to the specular of the burn wound to try and emulate pus.

bulletgreen.gifCompletely Reworked Normal Map - Which is probably one of the bigger steps for this model, as I used Mudbox to help paint the normal map on. This model has a lot of flaws, so it was nearly impossible for me to create a good hi-poly model to bake, so I had to paint most of the Normal Map using Mudbox. Very satisfying results! I ended up using Crazy Bump as a base, and then used Photoshop and Mudbox until I had the effect I wanted.

The model in itself is old and very, very flawed. It has tons of holes and border edges and double faces. I opted for just fixing up the textures in this though! I've learned a lot from looking over this model again and I can see a lot of things that I would do differently if I built it today.

I also committed completely to making the textures tell you the story of the character. I wanted her to look worn and tired and beaten. Make the wound and armour make you interested in her as a character. After staring at her for so many hours, I might just actually make a character out of her, as I've actually grown fond of her ugly mug.

I wanted to render her in Marmoset Toolbag, but due to the massive problems this model has, I had to do what I could with Maya. I couldn't use my teacher's in-game shader either, since it doesn't work with Mac. So I took a crash-course in shading networks and hijacked Maya's own Surface Shader to get a modified Phong E. With some tricking, I managed to make it display my Normal Map as a Normal Map instead of being an idiot and displaying it as a Bump map. It was very informative.

I'm really happy with how much I've grown in texturing in only half a year and I hope to continue growing! I really love texturing. C:

Thanks for looking at this!
    carmilla_v_2_by_koskish-d5dz47f.png
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw yis another texture work-over.

New things

bulletgreen.gifReworked Diffuse Map - In the last version, I tried to define metal using the Diffuse map, but I have since then learnt that's really stupid and makes the model look like a plastic toy. If you look at the Diffuse, the metal doesn't have anything drawn on it, except for one or two cracks and some dirt. The rest of the information is in the other maps. I also put more effort in to deepening the color of the ivory parts.

bulletgreen.gifReworked Normal Map - I smoothed out some shading problems that my baking had caused me and decided I wanted my metal to be a polished brass, so I carefully drew in some small scratches in to to the metal to get the right feel. Some rust and dirt got to be imported in to the Normal Map as well to great irregularities in the light, to make it look more worn.

bulletgreen.gifCompletely Reworked Specular - First time I did this model, I had no idea how a specular map worked, so I just did something to have one. I think I ran it through CrazyBump. Or something. It sucked. Hard. So I redid the entire thing. Using color this time, it yielded very satisfying results. The brass got a much more metallic finish and the ivory's highlights became much more believable when I added brown in to the mix. This is were the majority of the metal texture is.

bulletgreen.gifAttempt at using Incandesence - WELL. I tried. But I couldn't get it to work when rendering. It looked better in Maya, to be honest.

bulletgreen.gifNot using a retarded Render - This model had much less problems than my Astronaut. so I could put it in to Marmoset Toolbag love that thing so much. It made the metal look absolutely gorgeous.

Conclusion?

I love making metal.

steampunk_portal_gun_v_2_by_koskish-d5dz5s8.png
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And now! Second attempt at shading using PBL (physically based lighting)

I really enjoy it so far.

I made an asteroid. But really, it's a rock.

Fancy lighted rock.

But a rock.

asteroid_by_koskish-d5fy2yp.jpg
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another one!

(got a few things to showcase)

Fourth proper sculpt in Zbrush, our assignment was to do a model as anatomically correct as possible.

I chose a pear-shaped filippino woman with scoliosis. I'm pleased with the outcome, because anatomy really isn't my fort
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are more things!

Silent Hill-inspired environment, with heavy influences from Obscure and Deadly Premonition.

It's rendered in Marmoset, god I love that program now.

screenshot0.png

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And as a response to the above post, here's a quick little video of the lights flickering. Mockup to make it look like the start screen of a horror game,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UhiLXpRfc"]Otherside Start Screen Mockup - YouTube[/ame]
  • Koski
  • aaron2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey your work seems to be done by some expert!
    really amazing!
    The first work is really impressive! From 3D to all the textures and background coloring everything looks perfect!
    Great job!
  • Koski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aaron2

Um. Wow. I don't know what to say. But thank you so much for your kind words!

I'm far from an expert, but I'm really proud over how far I've come in just a year.

Thanks again!