Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Maya+UDK] - Old Town Home

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
bugo polycounter lvl 17
LAST UPDATE:

jai5g9.jpg

Hey, it's hard to say, but this is my first "real" environment in UDK (not some props), and I would like to share the progress of what's going on. Actually my first try was in Unity, but I can't get that lighting to work nicely as UDK, so I've switch.

The real goal is to finish a townhome inspired by Artyom Vlaskin (concepter/environment artist) in UDK and whole textures done with ONLY zbrush (photoshop just for post)

This is WIP, lots to do still (lots of stretched uvs, modeling details, blend shaders and background), but I would still like to know everybody's comments. Right now just trying to get a look and feel for the scene.
Sorry to let the other steps go. I can probably show them later.

Here's some shots:

6qkwnb.jpg
rsy4jd.jpg
2zg9rt5.jpg
35mprat.jpg
1z4e976.png

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty fancy so far. I like how you're doing nearly all of the texture work in ZBrush. I plan to do that someday too once my ZBrush and painting skills have improved more.

Some quick critiques. The chimney looks pretty rough but judging by the detail in the rest of the house it's just a placeholder. The placement of some of the stones in the stone texture looks kind of unnatural in spots too, like you just jammed some larger stones on top of a few others instead fitting them together like most of the texture is.

Do you plan to flesh out the area around the house too? I could picture it being a lonely manor on top of a hill in a decayed forest, maybe with a few small structures like a well or a shed to the side.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I absolutely love the silhouette of this, it is a really cool design. Looking forward to your progress.

The only thing is the wood looks a tad shinny for how worn down the house is. Wood is only that shinny in the rain, or if it is being maintained by somebody.
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the style. Added to favorites, I hope you'll finish that model and share some thoughts! :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    nice wood mate
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    This is awesome enough that i'm fearful to even give suggestions, but have you considered putting some color into your spec maps? The straight white spec i'm pretty sure is an artifact of having to save texture space but that's fast going out the window. The wood spec especially might pop a little more if you overlayed a splochy yellow and orange mix, would have to bump up the value just a bit to compensate. The dark wood intersecting with the roofing tiles also looks a little awkward, some decals that darken those intersections would help a bit.

Regardless, killer work!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Zipfinator - Hey, yeah, the chimney is place holder as a lot of other meshes. Yes, I will be doing dried plants and trees and some kinda old dead field/farm mountains behind. The rock texture seems weird to me as well, although I tried to kinda copy one of the textures at cgtextures, and some of the rocks were actually crossing each other too. I think maybe since there's none large edges it's not getting much normal info enough. Thanks for the comment dude.

Bardler - true man, will fix it. THanks!

seir - thanks man! Makes me inspired to do more and more.

passerby - thanks mate!

crazyfingers - thanks for the comments man, as for the color spec: for sure, will add those. as for the decals, I would rather not use decals, I will be using depth blending shaders for this kind of variation, more to come soon! Thanks again!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    This will work for all the windows in the house. To differentiate, I'll just rotate 45º on some of them. Concrete texture and door to come...

d9yz4.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    plaster also done, soon to be applied (blended with the wood walls)

121db0i.jpg
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    piece is looking pretty killer so far, love the wood, can't wait for whats next
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    thanks man, I'll probably do the doors next.
  • TheKennny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking great, I absolutely love your repeatable wood and the stone!

For the window texture I feel you could give the little beams a harder edge - right now they are looking a bit too soft. If the in-betweens are supposed to be glass they will definitely need a harder spec.

Anyways, looking great so far!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Kenny! The idea of the wood is to be old and worn out since it's an old place. The glass, yeah! I can do that, that picture just shows a preview from the diffuse only on zbrush. I'll have to deal with specular after that process. There will be reflection on it too on UDK.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    quick update, haven't being having lot of time on this, but here's the windows material applied.

mrcsuv.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    playing with the post processing, added some filmic tone mapping to it and color mapping too..

2s14r9v.jpg
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Windows looks great, keep up a good work! :)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    Great job , but i dont really understand the scale of the house. is that a really really big house
    because your door is too big is just like a town door scale . a really big door , is i'm true you should,
    scale your brick texture to get the scale that you want :)

good luck
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    oh, the door won't be the same size as the arch size, it's gonna be smaller, but it's gonna be inside that arch. Thanks!

edit: one thing you are right, I might have to scale the bricks size. Looks gigantic.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    was just playing with tessellation, it seems so not worthy. By the picture I can see so many problems with it, noisy mesh appears, etc. Other areas of the mesh seams appear everywhere. Not sure how UDK would handle that. I also think that it's possible by the artist to do the silhouette and not have to rely on tessellation maybe? My main issue is seeing whenever you get close to it, looks squishy and noisy.

5cylhe.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    stone tiling texture zbrush pass done:

2n9exb5.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow! This is really gorgeous!! I love the silhouette and colors, and there is a really nice softness to everything that makes this feel nice and cozy :):) Def has its own style. Can't wait for you to flesh out the environment as well. Sorry I can't help you with your ZB issues up there, I am kindof a ZB noob :x
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Jessica, thanks! Saw yours and was amazed, congrats for the top row. As for the ZB issues, do you mean tesselation? That is actually UDK directx 11 feature.
  • newto3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should do some tutorials on the textures in zbrush, such as the plaster/stucco :)

looks the business, keep it up.
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, I'm loving this thread. Really awesome piece! I really had to stretch to find a critique, but the spec on your brick is a little bright. They're very shiny bricks. Other than that I think your textures are gorgeous. Well done!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Regarding the tesselation on the roof, how does the mesh look? If you're getting distortion and weird artifacts it might be because you need more polies in your mesh.

However, I don't think you need tesselation on the roof because I think you can easily add some sillhouete manually, making it cheaper. :)

Looking good so far!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    i just wouldn't put tessellation on the roof, kind of a waste. Looking good nonetheless tho!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    serith - agreed, will decrease the specularity a bit, looks too shiny. Thanks for the feedback.

Disting and Alberto - agreed, doesn't seem to be worth it for sure. Thanks!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think I have found anywhere that DX11 Tessellation is perfect for, really.
    It works well on jagged rocks, I suppose, but everywhere else can be done better with a good silhouette and inventive materials.

Loving the scene so far though, @bugo! Keep up the awesome work!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    For quite a while I haven't been updating this, so it deserves a bit of love.

I've changed the concrete texture for the bricks blending.
    eupn4z.jpg
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing work so far!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    playing around with postfx

jai5g9.jpg