Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I think we all agree we need a sub forum for these threads ^^
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    enthusiam crushed again. i didnt reliaze i was making such a huge mistake again.
    i thought of the texturing as a seperate project and wanted to start a fresh. my mistake.

people are so quick to post a negative comment and others jump on a bandwagon to add the same. sad i only got a couple of crits on the work and some encouraging words, and then it began again. my own fault for starting a new thread? i guess so. so i must deserve it.
    but rather than people just ignore it, i guess its more fun to post some smart-ass comment.

thanks to those who kept a positive note and didn't feel the need to poke at me for my error of judgement, inexperience, and naivety. the rest, well feel free to use this thread for more copycat comments about the new thread, maybe post some gifs, some qoutes, better still just ignore it, either way, have fun and keep up your good work.

way to turn users away (which i'm sure will be welcomed in my case, no more new threads!). as an inexperienced forum user i can say i learnt things the hard way, accept it and got what i deserved.

on a positive, keep up the good work, really inspiring. thanks! bye :)
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    I have to agree with vavavoom, guys. If you're going to tell someone they did something wrong, do it kindly, especially for something as minor as that. Sheesh.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Have you never been on the internet before? Everyone has been giving you great feedback and you get upset because people ask why you literally made a 10th thread for this model?

Everyone here is more than happy to help you. If you think polycount is a harsh forum you're in for a world of surprise.

I agree with hai that you could use some of those edges in the legs to give her some more curves. Her thighs are her defining characteristic and without them it gets a bit lost.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hate myself for replying to this, but..

have i ever been on the internet before? nice.
    as i mentioned, this is my first time getting stuck into a forum.

and so, another reply post echoing the previous ones. adding a crit about the model to the end of your post. i appreciate it. but it feels like you just wanted to throw your weight into this by posting a cool and 'matter of fact' comment about my posting.

if i was contesting my overuse of threads, posting, my inexperience, misjudgement, the great feedback i have received, i could accept what you have said without any hint of animosity. but i'm not contesting it, and you adding a comment like "have you ever been on the internet?", did you really need to post this comment?

whatever my mistake, you are just proving exactly what i mentioned. the replies to any thread come quicker when it is to criticize a user rather than the work.

am i upset? sure, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't. just really, really didn't need another post to highlight my mistake. i'm sure this thread will fill with more posts now, but please prove me wrong and let it die peacefully.

i would really appreciate if an admin could close this thread and i will learn from my mistakes before i use a forum again. my apologies. i think i have apologized enough now.

i don't have the courage to post my texture progress. i am just an observer here now and will keep enjoying others great work.
    it is a good forum and i do appreciate everyones help. thank you.
  • MiragentGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiragentGames polycounter lvl 5
    Ive got to wonder how many chun-li's we'll see before 2012 is over ;) haha jk.
  • The Boss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you are taking things a little hard. Nobody was trying to run you out of town and quite a few people were giving valid critiques. And not only of your work, but your approach to your work. The second part I can't emphasize enough, it is much more important than a simple observation on anatomy or the like. Being advised not to be afraid to make big changes and to move on when your work is not perfect is something most people have to be told just to develop as an artist.

And it is a little silly to make a new thread for the same piece of work and I don't think anyone was out of line to comment on it. The whole point of having all your progress being in one place is that people can see just that, your progress. It can encourage people to help if they see you take critiques seriously and it will stop people from echoing what has already been said.

If you wish to leave, that is your choice. I can just tell you that a community that values honesty is more useful than one that values politeness. You just have to choose to implement it.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom wrote: »
    am i upset? sure, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't. just really, really didn't need another post to highlight my mistake. i'm sure this thread will fill with more posts now, but please prove me wrong and let it die peacefully.

please.
  • The Boss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very well, I was simply trying to help. If you choose to ignore it then my mistake. You are welcome back whenever you want.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I think the model looks pretty good so far. Your topology is nice and clean. I will ask though, are you going for her more traditional costume or are you going to make something different?

Don't get beaten down by people giving you a hard time about making a new thread. Just from now on keep things regarding the same model/project grouped together in one thing. Polycount is known for people that can be a bit rough sometimes but it comes in handy because people aren't afraid to tell you whether your work is good or not. You've made a nice start, just keep on working it out and don't get bent out of shape about things. Keep on making this art!
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Boss apologies if it seemed that way, i am not ignoring it. i appreciate your honesty. i really just need to let this die, take some time away from it so i can try and build up some confidence again. then maybe come back when i have developed my understanding more.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know there are plenty of kind people here, and i really appreciate all good intentions and advice. i'm just so embarrassed by this whole thing now and i don't want this to become a discussion about my mistakes (as a forum user). if it could be closed, i would be so grateful.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    less apologies, more updates. your doing great.

also vavavoom post your textures, you get confidence from being good, and the only way to get good is practice and critique.

If this is your first character you should be playing fast and loose with it. your first few models are about learning how to do things, the final result is less important than the lessons you learn.
  • Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch. I feel like giving you a hug or something. I like what r_fletch_r said, it's true. There's a whole range of skill levels here and your Chun is way above a lot of the work that gets posted.
    You might want to try pushing things around in Zbrush a bit for quick experimental shape changes and to try to insert some fluidity into things. Also, maybe move the head forward so the neck angles more naturally.
    Any press is good press, so press on!
  • Fryght
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I have been following this thread for a while now. Really liking the topo so far and I am really curious to see where you'll take it with the textures!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I've been following this thread too. I didn't know you made a new thread of the same character. I suggest maybe just dumping everything on one thread? And show people in the WAYWO the latest update.
    I followed this cuz I liked your topo. As slow and meticulous as you are, you have progressed. Feeling beaten is mental. Use it. You're not alone in this; many of us have felt this but we listened and changed and were better for it.
    I hope you understand what I'm saying here. Good luck.

PS. only post major changes to a work. Micro tweaks are so hard to discern and makes your work look like nothing was accomplished. Good Luck!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Wtf why no updates!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wtf why no updates!
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Vavavoom, I've really been enjoying watching your model progress and I sincerely hope you reconsider your decision to stop posting updates. I've really been looking forward to seeing the model and textures move forward towards completion, and I would hate to see either you not finishing it, or doing so but refusing to share it with the rest of us, over something like this.

I honestly think you're making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill - I can assure you that no-one here means you any harm, or wants you to leave, and at the end of the day, no-one is really going to make a big deal out of how you post or whatever. Ultimately it's your work that'll do the talking. The reason people are annoyed with the creation or new threads, numerous micro-updates, edited and deleted posts, etc isn't because the community hates noobs or whatever, it's simply because it makes following your progress more difficult than necessary. I do think though that everyone genuinely appreciates your enthusiasm, your willingness to receive and apply criticism to improve your work, and your eagerness to share your progress.

If you feel that you have a hard time understanding the customs of being a contributor at these boards, and feel so afraid of committing a faux pas, just chill out for a while, stick around reading threads and posting the occasional comment. Whenever you feel like continuing to update this thread, me and I'm sure plenty of others will be excited to see what you've got to show.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Only I find this thread way too dramatic ? Its just a forum <.<

PS: don't create new threads weekly. One thread for a project is enough. Create art. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Accept critique. Don't be a drama queen. Few simple advices.
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Oh my god. Is this really really necessary? I mean, what's wrong here?

I'm following this thread and waiting for updates, but then it just turned into a psychological treatment thread!!!!

C'mon guys! I know it's hard to see lots of new threads, but it's not the end of the world. Let's help the bro!

Vavavoom, did you learned it from the hardest way? Good, no pain no gain! Stop complaining about why are people beying mean to you. People are not being mean, they are just trying to help, but if they can take it easy, you also can by not complaining that much.

As I said, I've been following your thread and I learned with c&c as well.

We are all interested on your Chun-li :) coz if not, we'd just ignore your work and send a pm to a mod to close your new threads. That'd be being mean.

People are trying to help, but you must help them to help you too!
    Search, be patient, ask, and practice!

Don't give up from your work! Show us your texture progress!
    Polycount is a great community, and we are going to help you. :)
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    escuse the necromancy? but I am quite sad that this thread hasn't been updated
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8