Home Unreal Engine

Nice Specular material?

I am wondering what some peoples approach is to setting up some nice specular in the material editor. The assets are idealy for a console game and would be referencing just three basic textures normal,spec, and diffuse. screenshots would be awesome but a good explanation goes a long way as well. Thanks

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    what are you asking exactly by default udk has a phong specular model, so to use that just plug your spec map right into the specular slot of the material editor, and plug in a constant value into the specular power slow to control glossiness.

or toss a multiplier on before the spec texture to get above 1 values in it.

really cant help much since your question is so vauge.

dont know what kinda material your trying to make.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's already in UDK, it's free, so test it out.

On the other hand, if you're asking for a specific type of type of Specular Lighting method, so the most common ones are Blinn, Phong and Blinn-Phong.
  • knak47
    I am mostly asking about metal and metal painted surfaces. I guess I am just asking are you doing anything fancy to highlight your Spec map that you generated in Photoshop. Like I said I am just creating a new material for my assets and for the spec just plugging my map into the Spec input and boosting the spec power with a constant.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    knak47 wrote: »
    I am mostly asking about metal and metal painted surfaces. I guess I am just asking are you doing anything fancy to highlight your Spec map that you generated in Photoshop. Like I said I am just creating a new material for my assets and for the spec just plugging my map into the Spec input and boosting the spec power with a constant.

thats all most people are doing, with the specular map, when working on hte map try to get some more specular on edges, it really helps make them pop, and in the case of metal, put some detail in oyur spec map that isn't in the diffuse, doing this makes a much more interesting material too look at since new features are exposed as the light them them.

those are general guide lines, just saying metal is kinda vague, since is it a very shiny metal, is it a metal with a coating or paint on it, or is it a very matte metal like what would would find on say a M4 Rifle.

also work in a gloss map (Called Specular Exponent in UDK)

this kinda map control high wide the specular highlight is, values around 80 produce a very tight highlight, and lower values say belove 30 give a wider highlight.

you could just plug a constant into this slot, or make a black and white map, for it, and plug it into the Alpha of a LERP, than plugin constant values into it's A and B slots, and hook that into the specular exponent slot.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Well, if you're hardcore, you can try spending some time studying Anisotropic effects for metal and how to achieve it, but as I said, you will need to put some muscle-oil in that.

On the other hand, a simple Gloss and Spec map (properly made) is all you need, also, look up Cubemaps and stuff.

Honestly, what you're asking is very easy with a little experimentation, not to mention the UDN has most of this covered.
  • knak47
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    i find i usually need to multiply my specular texture by 2 or more to get it strong enough. other than that, there's no magic really