Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tracked armored vehicle with a gun

Hello, Polycount!
Being a long time lurker, I gotta post my stuff someday, so here it is.
I've been working on this tank model for quite some time, mostly to study nextgen techniques, and I did learned a lot (stuff like "triangulate before you bake" and "sub-optimal poly distibution"). I think I've been looking at this model long enough, and I would really appreciate some crits on it.

There are 14228 tris, 2048x2048 maps for everything except tracks (diffuse, spec, normal) and 256x256 maps for the tracks (diff, spec, norm).
Most stuff done in Maya, AO rendered in xNormal, textures done in Ps (nDo2 was used for some stuff), rendered in Marmoset.

H2xVt.jpg
OsnHw.jpg
noOAk.jpg
PrPkf.png

Replies

• Zweistein
  • Zweistein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, that's my fault.
    The tank I made has a somewhat unusual v-shaped hull, and the swing arms on the renders above got hid behind track and support rollers.

Nwzri.png
    1ienN.jpg
    Guess, I do need some more work on suspension texture, and some better renders.

Thanks for looking!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, can we can that flipped over shot with the wireframes on? I'm curious how much geo is actually in there. Unless this model is specifically going to be flipped upside down or on its side, I'd think you'd be able to cut out some tris underneath as you'd never really see it otherwise.
  • Zweistein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    Hey, can we can that flipped over shot with the wireframes on? I'm curious how much geo is actually in there. Unless this model is specifically going to be flipped upside down or on its side, I'd think you'd be able to cut out some tris underneath as you'd never really see it otherwise.

Here it is
    gZSBS.jpg
    Yes, it's possible to lose horizontal cylinders (torsion hubs), maybe lose a loop in spring, couple of polies in roadwheel's hub, maybe a vertex or two in final drive hub.
    The idea, in the first place, was to make a model that can be viewed from any angle without any holes or missing stuff, but I agree, poly distribution is not optimal.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I've love to see the reference you were using when making this. The modeling is not bad at all. I think if you spent the time on a nice hi res model for baking, we should get to see some nice renders of that nice hi res model ;)

Also glad you guys noted the resolution of the model under it. If we're never going to see under it in game, cut as much as possible. Good lesson to learn, especially if you can save a few hundred to a couple thousand tris.

As far as your texturing goes, it's pretty nice I'd say! If I could find one thing that looks bad to me, it'd be the small amount of bump of grunge on your normal map. It's way too pronounced and soft, which starts to make it feel lo res for me. With decent UVs and a 2048, your spec and normal maps should be able to show some nice, fine, more "metal looking" type of damage.

M1A1_Abrams_Tank.jpg

****weird, when I preview this post, the IMG above shows up, But when I view the thread normally, it comes up broken...

here is the link for the pic if it's not showing up
    http://wallpapers.free-review.net/wallpapers/24/M1A1_Abrams_Tank.jpg
  • Zweistein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've love to see the reference you were using when making this.
    The main reference is this
    unwul.jpg
    ErzRZ.jpg
    There were also a lot more reference for some smaller details, like MG, hooks, ears, wheels and so on.
    The dirt and scratches "reference" was, however, mostly from my mind.
    The modeling is not bad at all. I think if you spent the time on a nice hi res model for baking, we should get to see some nice renders of that nice hi res model ;)
    I wouldn't call the high poly "nice", more like "utilitarian"
    67xEP.png
    ijRR1.jpg
    IWa2y.png
    JtNjE.png
    Weld lines and such were added later in Ps. There's some bad pinching at the back of the turret, but I don't know how to get rid of that while preserving geometry.
    The renders are as good as I can come now with, meaning I'm no good at rendering.

Low poly with just the normal map
    QgbSd.png
    Also glad you guys noted the resolution of the model under it. If we're never going to see under it in game, cut as much as possible. Good lesson to learn, especially if you can save a few hundred to a couple thousand tris.
    Yeah, I got too lousy (or lazy) with optimizing...
    Thanks for the crits, guys!
    As far as your texturing goes, it's pretty nice I'd say! If I could find one thing that looks bad to me, it'd be the small amount of bump of grunge on your normal map. It's way too pronounced and soft, which starts to make it feel lo res for me. With decent UVs and a 2048, your spec and normal maps should be able to show some nice, fine, more "metal looking" type of damage.
    Heh, there's no dirt on normal map :poly105: I thought I pretty much blew it with casting defects alone, so adding more stuff will make it too noizy. As for the specular map, I guess there might be not enough level variation where different kinds of dirt start piling over each other, will need to think on that...
    Thanks for that, and again, thank you all!