Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Character, hipster girl

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Mouth closed is the best I can do for now, it'll take me a bit to model up some decent teeth/gums.

Her mouth was designed to hang open by a bit to show buck-teeth, so it's not actually supposed to close this far. The teeth I had in zbrush are not mine, so I wouldn't be comfortable using them to make a low-poly out of them. But they did look decent, far as I could tell.

Teeth and fingernails are just one of the things I've been procrastinating on.

B6opX.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    she looks great man :) to me I think the mouth transition could maybe be smoothed out ever so slightly and the jawline aswell possibly. its only very slight and tones down the pouteyness but is only a suggestion.

ysalex_paintover.jpg

otherwise I think her arms are looking a bit short, either that or the hands look a touch too big, but she still looks great man :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    You're killing me with that tiny little thumbnail, I can see yours looks nice but I cant see the changes well enough. Can you point out where you modified it?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry it's just around the laughing lines and corner of the mouth, it's only very very subtle and smooths them out ever so slight, might just be me though haha
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Ah, I see it now, very subtle. Thank you.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Prelim teeth. The mouth barrel will need adjusting to make it work.

crits on them in particular greatly appreciated.

y79Ys.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Alright, so I'm done with the model.

I mean, I'm not done with the model, but I need to stop working on it so I'm calling it done.

Now I need help coming up with presentation shots. This is my first portfolio so I don't really know the in's and out's, do's and don't's. I figured I will want the following:

Contextual images - the character in 'character' and natural setting.

Construction images - a turntable strip with all the sides and the diffuse and normal breakdown.

Goofy glamour images - a couple of dressed up images, but rendered in the engine, so no super post-processing.

To that end, I present what I came up with and I would really, really, really, really appreciate some feedback on what is right, what is wrong. I did a couple of each, so let me know which ones you like better than others.

Also, I just want to really thank everyone who helped again, this is a great site, great community. One day I hope to work with people like I meet here.

A:
    aWnIM.jpg

B:
    fyJqS.jpg

C:
    vT8K1.jpg

Context shots:

A:
    2YNxA.jpg

B:
    B1UQQ.jpg

A:
    GvXdZ.jpg

B:
    Enlmo.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    while the idea of putting her into a magazine or a series of "photos" is cool, she does look very blurry and overall desaturated.. doesn't do her justice. there's also some heavy banding in the color gradients (black to spotlight) and in the first shots she seems to not have any shoulders :)

maybe take the setting further and have her pose in front of a camera, photographer off-screen, with some related stuff lying around (the sun reflectors you see at photo shootings etc)?
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    There's some very nice attention to detail and design on this. Well done. My favourite image of her is actually the WIP one with her mouth closed and hand up. I would have that image in my portfolio if I was you. I think she generally looks better with her mouth closed.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I think that your beauty shots are hurting it more than helping. It takes away from your character with it being too out of focus. I also think your textures can use another pass. The hair is bugging me because it seems like there is no texture on it at all and it looks unfinished moreso than stylized. The lack of shadows or any AO is also taking away from the character. Lastly everything feels very light and airy which is cool but there should be more detail in the skin and clothing textures. The shirt in particular could use more detail, and there should be shadows under the shirt too. Overall this is a pretty sweet character but keep on pushing it and you'll be great.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Here's a couple more of the final shots. Not sure how many and of which to put on the site.

bGE2j.jpg
    uqSXx.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @marq4porsche

It does have some ambient occlusion, but not too much. I don't like to over-saturate the actual shadown contrasts by cranking up the AO and other baked in lighting solution. But you're right that it would add something to these specific poses. As for the rest of it, you're right on that stuff as well. I wish I had more time to keep picking away at the details, but I need to move on to a backlog of projects, I think I've taken her as far as I can for now.

One of my worst qualities is never saying enough is enough. I could work on details for ten years on any one project, but it rarely does me any good.

So thank you very much for your nice critique. If nothing else, it's advice that will carry over to the next thing.
  • Ausonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ausonian polycounter lvl 13
    The character is nice and well executed, but the thing that bothers me the most (and that you should absolutely correct, in my opinion) are the teeth; you should push them more inward, they look too close to the lips, at the moment; very good job overall!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks Ausonian. I was going for a bucktooth look, but looking at it, I think you are right. Perhaps I went too far attempting to emphasize them.

Thanks again.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    she has a real lovely shape, but i would do more for her hair.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    im digging that render!! i would totally give more love to that hair though :D great model