Home Technical Talk

texturing a terrain

Hamza
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Hamza polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys

need help on this one, what's the best technique to textures a terrain let's say for example you have a half soccer stadium 120* 45 meters and you want to make something that look like pes 2012 penalty kick

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M57-x4fZ4sA&feature=related"]PES 2012 Penalties Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

what the best technique to get a good quality grass texture with the camera angle close to the ground ?

Replies

• fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Ill assume you are more interested in how to get good grass vs how to map your terrain.

I never thought the grass in these football games looked anything to get excited for.
    99% of the time they looked like simple flat textures to me.. but than again its has been ages since I last played a football game, probably 2008.
    So just make the grass with a good tiling grass texture imo.

You could consider placing billboards for grass, this however depends on the angle the camera will be at. It it will pretty much be facing horizontally it should not be too big of a problem.
    I dont know what exactly you can do, but you could try making the billboards fade out if the camera angle would be closer to a vertical angle. That way you wont get weirdly rotating grass sprites.

Apart from that you could try a "fur shader". If you are familiar with Mario galaxy, the Queen bee had a fur shader on her.
    Basically what the fur shader does is it stacks "spots" ontop of each other creating the illusion of a physical cilinder/cone.
  • Hamza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamza polycounter lvl 5
    thanks for the reply, first i dont think fur shader will be a good idea since it will be imported into unity 3d, the problem i'm facing is using flat texture optimizing vs very good quality, so what i did is working on a 2k uv template that cover tha half field, then in Photoshop tiling a grass texture ntimes, what happened here is : if i tile the grass texture many times the details of the grass will be barley noticeable in 3ds max and if i tiled it lets say 4-16 time it will be blury :/
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    .. Why do you tile it in photoshop?

In Unity you can tile your textures without any problems.

Just map/unwrap your terrain, using a flat projection/planar mapping. And in Unity in the Material's options change x and y tiling how many times you want.

Oh btw set the "aniso" level of your floor/grass texture to 9. What this does is makes sure your textures are sharp even at very high angles.
  • Hamza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamza polycounter lvl 5
    thanks a lot ill try it ;)