Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Legend of Fae's Claudia: character & small environment

Nix
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Nix polycounter lvl 13
Before I start working on another normal mapped, spec mapped something, I thought I'd share another little painted model. It's Claudia from the game Legend of Fae: http://www.endlessfluff.com/lof_info.html http://store.steampowered.com/app/109200

It's based on the title screen of the game, created by the talented Mishin:
http://mishinsilo.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2y6kom

Although for the face I ended up using the in-game portrait as a reference which looks slightly different, which you can see in the second thumbnail in this gallery: http://store.steampowered.com/app/109200

Doing a completely non-mirrored texture was interesting, although it's pretty much twice the work :P

As always, c&c very welcome!

character: 2962 tris, 2048x2048 texture
environment: 1163 tris, 2048x2048 texture
lof.png
lof-angles.png
lof-wire1.png
lof-wire2.png

Replies

• choco
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice, I thought it was a concept art at the beginning which is really good.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Love that when I first looked at it I couldn't tell if it was 3D or not, Fantastic job. I freakin love this!
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    This is awesome. Great job! :)
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I still can't tell if it's 3D or not.

Very beautiful, and very well done. Mystical feeling, which is wonderful.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Holy crap, I thought it was a concept first! Mind-blown. Great work!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Dang! Looks like a concept! Gorgeous :)
  • praetor187
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    I thought this was the concept then I saw your vegetation planes, needless to say my jaw dropped, great work :)
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    This scene looks fantastic. There's just something about hand painted art that just looks great. I love the painterly look and I think more games should be like this.
  • makecg
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    One of the nicest hand painted pieces I've seen in a while.

Great job, now show us some textures!
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    choco wrote: »
    Very nice, I thought it was a concept art at the beginning which is really good.

still trying to figure it out
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    very very awesome work
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Fucking amazing. It's even better than the original art.
    Can we see the flat textures?
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Gorgeous work man. I really like the painterly feel to it, it's a bit different from most handpainted texture work. :)
    But did you really need the 2k tex for the character?

Also, that delish shadow on the girl, is that painted in/baked or from a render?
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    just beautiful - I would love to hear/see how you approached it...
  • Nix
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the comments! :D I'll upload some progress shots and the uv texture later for those who asked.

Technically there's not too much to it though, it's only an unlit diffuse map. No special tricks, just look at the ref, get down and put those colors on where they're supposed to go, I guess?

I did paint on the 3D model directly using Blender's painting functions, instead of doing the flat texture in Photoshop or something (people who can make a texture look good by just painting 2D are geniuses in my book, haha).
    Maph wrote: »
    Gorgeous work man. I really like the painterly feel to it, it's a bit different from most handpainted texture work. :)
    But did you really need the 2k tex for the character?

Also, that delish shadow on the girl, is that painted in/baked or from a render?

Nah, you're right that I could probably resize it down to 1024 at least, without the quality suffering too much. 2048 was my work resolution, I guess I just didn't bother downsampling yet, heh. Though it's just for practice anyway.

As for the shadow, yeah, it's all just paint. :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    This is amazing, stared at the first image trying to figure out if it was concept art or not!
  • Sayanora
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    *slow clap*

Seconding requests for textures :)
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Wow this is very inspiring! The only thing bothering me is that the lighting from her face seems to be coming from the wrong side. Are you going to make more? Im watching you!!! ;)
  • Rubikubi
    Very very cool! Third for texture request.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    flats or it didnt happen
  • jmt
    Very nice. I too thought it was the concept art.

I noticed a couple of things: The angle/shape of her hand holding the lantern looks a little strange (it might be the same on the other one, but I can't tell from the angle) and I don't really like the colored circles on the lantern. It is a lantern, right? The lighting information on the other objects looks like it could be a primary light source, but it isn't glowing, and doesn't appear to be emitting light from the angles that its lighting stuff up.

Request for flats seconded.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    This may be a dumb question but you said it's unlit? So the lighting in the diffuse is only for that particular shot?

It seems almost like a 3D painting.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Wow... Why can't games do this more often!
    I tip my hat to you.
  • uncle
    Kudos man, kudos.

Hell, someone better invent paint-toon-shader.

(Probably someone already did, but everybody is busy making ultra photoreal stuff anyways.)
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    A third suggestion to pimp some flats. That or record a podcast of the process please.

Really love the color scheme too.
  • Nix
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    itismario wrote: »
    If the shadow is painted in, I'm gonna guess you painted it posed?
    Yeah, I figured that would make most sense.

kwakkie wrote: »
    Wow this is very inspiring! The only thing bothering me is that the lighting from her face seems to be coming from the wrong side. Are you going to make more? Im watching you!!! ;)
    Oh, I had hoped nobody would notice... :P I should've probably messed with the light a bit more to interpret it better from the ref. There's a small sliver of light hitting the left side of the face as well, you can barely notice... don't know if that's enough for it to be correct though. Oh well.

jmt wrote: »
    I noticed a couple of things: The angle/shape of her hand holding the lantern looks a little strange (it might be the same on the other one, but I can't tell from the angle) and I don't really like the colored circles on the lantern. It is a lantern, right? The lighting information on the other objects looks like it could be a primary light source, but it isn't glowing, and doesn't appear to be emitting light from the angles that its lighting stuff up.

The hands do look a bit odd/elongated, gonna have to pay attention to that in the future. As for the colored circles, you'd have to watch the trailer (or see some screens) from the game to get why they're there. :P http://store.steampowered.com/app/109200/

And nah, it's not supposed to give light in this picture. What you're seeing is more like environment light coming from the front, I think.

LRoy wrote: »
    This may be a dumb question but you said it's unlit? So the lighting in the diffuse is only for that particular shot?

There are no dumb questions! Only...uhh.. how did that go again? :P

Yeah, it's kinda like a statue more than a game model, so I figured it would be ok to paint in static lighting like this.

Anyways, here's some progress shots for those who were interested (sorry for the big jumps in progression, these are just some screengrabs I made for a friend when he asked if he could see what I was working on :P), as well as the flat textures.

Please don't pay too much attention to the nasty ugly bits in the character texture, those are parts that are mostly hidden from view, and when painting on the model directly you don't really pay attention to how the flats turn out. I should've done a better job predicting which parts were not going to be seen, and minimized their uv space accordingly, I think I wasted some space here. Oh well, a good lesson learned I guess.

Oh, and you might notice the textures don't extend beyond the UV islands very much, and I know they should. I can find ways to do it manually, but recently I saw some textures that looked as if they had the textures extended past the uv islands using some sort of tool? Anybody know anything about this?

Here you go:

wip1.jpgwip2.jpgwip3.jpgwip4.jpgwip5.jpgclaudiatexture.jpgenvironmenttexture.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    just download xnormal and the filters for ps thee is a dilation filter which does exactly that right in photoshop :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    MrHobo wrote: »
    Wow... Why can't games do this more often!
    I tip my hat to you.

+1!

Okay, this is my second post here, but seriously, way to make the 3D look even better than the concept!! Can't wait to see what you make next :)
  • Wombatinahat
    Love the painterly style you have going on. Great work :)
  • Ikosan
    itismario wrote: »
    3dcoat does it. If you want it on your AO or normals (for future not this since it doesn't have it) you set an edge padding option in whatever program you're using to bake. Also the textures are delicious. Great job.

Theres a really easy way to do this just inside photoshop. Take your master layer and cut out the space between the islands. Then duplicate that layer and move it beneath the master layer. Add a small amount of gaussian blur to the duplicated layer so it extends past the bounderies of the shells. Then duplicate that layer 6 or 7 times so the opacity comes back up and voila :). This is a little rough but i find it works most of the time and you don't need any new software. Other than that the xnormal photoshop plugin has a function to do that but i find it dosn't work as well. Really nice work on the model though:)
  • mLichy
    http://www.flamingpear.com/goodies.html

The Solidify Function is very good. You delete your Background so its transparent, then run the filter - > Flaming Pear - > Solidify A and it stretches out the bordering pixel colors.

flamingPear.jpg
  • IxenonI
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
  • theslingshot
    Like the others said...awesome looks like a concept...

I'm so requesting a turntable of this :)
  • sama.van
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Very cool! I love it! Fav!!
  • elementrix
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
  • Nix
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for all the advice! I think I've tried something similar to the gaussian blur technique, although it's not very precise if you want it to extend a bit further. I'll have to try those other tips as well.
  • haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    This is really cool. It seems a little impractical to paint something so uniquely with real-time limitations, but hats off to you for trying something different!

Here's another trick for adding edge padding I used to use before Xnormal:
    1) cut out your textures into islands, if they aren't already, making sure the edges have the pixels you want to extend.
    2) Duplicate this layer and put it under the original.
    3) run the photoshop Minumum filter (under Other) with a 1 pixel radius. You should see that you just added 1 pixel of edge padding.
    4) Take this padded layer and duplicate it, put it underneath and run the filter again.
    5) Repeat as many times as you need.

Or you can run Minimum once with a higher value, but the results aren't as clean.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    One thing I also do, is just run it through a -render to texture- of itself in Max.

Give yourself the padding you want. Then simply put your texture ON TOP OF that.
  • Nix
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    haikai wrote: »
    This is really cool. It seems a little impractical to paint something so uniquely with real-time limitations, but hats off to you for trying something different!

Here's another trick for adding edge padding I used to use before Xnormal:
    1) cut out your textures into islands, if they aren't already, making sure the edges have the pixels you want to extend.
    2) Duplicate this layer and put it under the original.
    3) run the photoshop Minumum filter (under Other) with a 1 pixel radius. You should see that you just added 1 pixel of edge padding.
    4) Take this padded layer and duplicate it, put it underneath and run the filter again.
    5) Repeat as many times as you need.

Or you can run Minimum once with a higher value, but the results aren't as clean.

Yeah you're right it's probably very impractical, but it's just for fun and learning anyway. :D Although I imagine it could be used for one of those little static diorama things you get in games sometimes (Metroid Prime 3 comes to mind).

That technique you described sounds interesting. Seems it would take quite a few steps, though.
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    One thing I also do, is just run it through a -render to texture- of itself in Max.

Give yourself the padding you want. Then simply put your texture ON TOP OF that.

That's a great idea, and it actually works in Blender, too. :D By putting the texture on top, do you mean overlaying your original texture over the result of the bake? I didn't even have to do that, the bake was pixel perfect (aside from the added padding, of course). I did have to triangulate beforehand to get it to come out right, though (but that seems to be necessary with any sort of bake).

Anyway, I used this technique on my next model: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1500751#post1500751

Thanks!