Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Character, hipster girl

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
This is a redux. I was working on it once before and I got distracted by another (assigned) project. But I have a new rule about finishing what I start so I'm getting back to this.

Please, please, I would love some critique.She'll have a shirt when I'm done, plus some decent hair if I can manage it. The shoes are Tom's, and the jeans are just tattered jean shorts.

oN5fh.jpg

24Bil.jpg

Replies

• Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks promising, proportions look more real world which is good too. I would only say the part in between the upper lip and nose, the philtrum, looks a tad long... ^^
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    the neck looks a bit long and too skinny, maybe lol ...characters are not really my thing : P
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Things I see right off the bat:

1) The inner corner of the eye needs fixing - it looks pinched.
    2) Neck is looking too thin from the front view.
    3) Her ears need to come down a little bit to line up with the base of the nose.
    4) Although important to establish the planes of the face, her nose is looking a little too planar. I would smooth it so more.
    5) The eyebrows are somewhat low. I recommend moving them up a notch to give a more feminine look to your character.

Good job nonetheless. Hope some of these pointers help!
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic. Love that it's natural and less Loomis in its form.

I would agree with bringing the nose down, and possibly even forward. Plus, the neck is a bit thin from the front. Doesn't seem like the underlying muscles are connecting to the skull properly.

Also, the fingers seem a tad bit shorter than the palms, which they oftem match up with, but they are pretty adorable at the current proportion so take that with a grain of salt.

Can't wait to see where you take this.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thank you everyone for the anatomy tips. I took everything into account and did some tweeking, and I think it's much better for it. Hair is much closer to where I'd like it to be, but still not exactly there. I think the front view needs something more.

Again, critiques are welcome, helpful and more appreciated than I can say. Also suggestions.

Thank you again guys. AsaNYC, Kot, CandyStripes & Tenchi.

yRvt1.jpg

RWT2G.jpg
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Looks like she's recovering from 2 black eyes. Looking good overall though :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    That's fair. I'm neither a hipster nor a woman, and so I'm stuck with the makeup until I find a reference I like. I should state that the texture is handpainted inside zbrush, meaning using no image references or alphas, just the standard tools zbrush comes equipped with. I think I am coming close to finding a method that works for me, but I will take advice on that too.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    -neck still looks too thin
    -there's something weird about the clavicle area
    -some other things might be a slightly off, depending on the age she's supposed to be
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @Blaisoid - Thank you, I'm not sure I'll ever get it right but those helped. I appreciate it.

More stuff. I ditched the idea of Toms for being too easy. Doing half-boots instead, which are more complicated and a better visual (I think, if I'm wrong call me out). Anyways, this update is the face, the boots (almost done, working left to right), and minor things. Also, as a foot note, the teeth are ridiculous and I am aware of it. I wanted to give her buck-teeth and I was just testing them real quick to make sure it worked with the natural 'neutral' mouth pose.

Next up is the shirt and I'm considering leggings, but I need a good way to do them. Anyone with any experience with that sort of 'wrap' modeling?

Sorry about all the huge images. Crits and comments appreciated.

5e1CE.jpg
    9TFQb.jpg
    VChno.jpg
    Q6UKm.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    So I've decided I like the boots, but I absolutely cannot find a way to do the leggings. At first I was thinking of unwrapping the legs and adding a texture map, but it seems useless because I cannot convert the texture into geo for a normals bake. I wish I could convert a black white texture into a mask in zbrush.

Anyways, I'm basically appealing for advice on how to do this. I want the nylons to be a diamond pattern with a seam on the back that runs down the leg, with no holes or tears.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    ysalex wrote: »
    I wish I could convert a black white texture into a mask in zbrush.

homy I gat'chu
    import your texture into Zbrush and apply it
    hit "make alpha" in the texture pallet
    Hit "Mask by Alpha" in the masking pallet
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    So I've decided I like the boots, but I absolutely cannot find a way to do the leggings. At first I was thinking of unwrapping the legs and adding a texture map,

you can do this, then under the masking tab >mask by intensity

after you've masked it you can use the deformation>inflat or scale
    OR extract the mask as a separate subtool(subtool pallette>extract, watch your thickness and smoothness settings)

good luck
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work so far.
    I especially love the juiciness in her lips :)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    oh, i know. first thing about clavicle is those cavities below it. they make it all look pretty anorectic. clavicle itself probably sticks out too much as well.

second thing is the way it connects with shoulders. i'm hardly an anatomy expert but clavicle should go above the shoulder bones, on your model it looks like it goes into shoulders instead.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Hey you mentioned you were having trouble with the eye makeup. I found this link on a Hazardous post, you might find it helpful:
    ~hedwyg23 eye makeup
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @SCB - Thank you! Great link, I've been looking through them. They seem a bit more like a 'scene' girl than I want to go, but I suppose a true hipster wouldn't be wearing any makeup at all, so I might go that route. (By the way, I am truly embarrased to admit to knowing the differences between a 'scenester' and a 'hipster', it's something I learned looking through references. Please do not judge me, I just wanted to do something contemporary rather than a mecha or a space marine or an elf or anything else overdone.)

@Blasoid - I been looking at references and you're right on. I appreciate you taking the time to give me such a specific crit. So thank you.

@Dan and @BoneBrew22 - I used a combination of these to get it done. It might not look the best, but it's an initial test. Thanks for replying so quickly too. If I don't end up using the leggings, you both still taught me a couple new tricks/capabilities, so thanks guys.

Finished shoes and a leggings test.

I like the way the shoes turned out. Looking forward to getting them into an engine and working out the materials. The sole needs a bit of love but that's a details thing if I have time.

I'm looking for opinions on the leggings. I have my own opinion, but I don't want to bias anyone so I'll keep it to myself. Opinions on that greatly appreciated. Also on anything else.

Thanks for looking.

n6Dnq.jpg
    UhqE4.jpg
    MuNlf.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work the leggings look clean.
    when you say a combination of our methods did you by any chance do a mesh extraction?
    I only mention this as It might be better come baking time to have them as separate geometry that you can potentially bake at full white.
    the things thats going to really pull those together is once you have some nice spec/gloss definition and you can make them shine like nylon/spandex
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I made a low poly of just the legs.

I unwrapped the low-poly in SILO.

In photoshop I created a diamond pattern (actually a couple to try out)

I imported the low-poly legs into zbrush, subdived to 1 million and did a project all including the ploypaint.

I imported the diamond pattern texture and applied it, and then as Dan suggested I did a 'mask by intensity'.

I inflated, colored and cleaned up.

I considered a mesh extraction but my computer is choking where I am so I figured I would try the less 'intensive' method first, but I completely get your point about the spec/gloss maps and I agree with you. I'll keep doing some test and see where I land in terms of what looks best.

So you like the leggings more than the plain skin then?
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    im digging the character quite a lot it would be awesome if she had more clothing to had more personality to the character
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Update. Think I about finalized the legs. Let me know what you think.

YCk4e.jpg
    8oCc9.jpg
    CF90a.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    not a fan of how much they point out that the uvs are mirrored, they look good but too me they make it too obvious and distracting
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    She's kinda shiny lookin' but otherwise looks great! The mirrored pantyhose is only noticeable from the front with that default pose. I think once you set it up it with a rig and in a scene it won't be.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    very nice progress so far, really like where this is going. i don't have much time so just a quick thing. the angle of the ear looks off, usually a good pointer for the is the jawline, in your case either the jawline should be matched more to the ears orientation or the other way around, you case i'd say samething inbetween the two or just match the ear to her jawline.
    Also the angle of her hands might be a bit too hard, dunno what her range of motion will be but right now it feels that the balance between both possible extremes is off.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Finally found time in the holiday to get her into low poly.

I really want this to be a decent piece for my portfolio, so I'm pleading for tips, tricks and crits.

One real problem I'm having is that even at a high poly count in the face (4K tris), and with a large texture/normal map, and with smooth low-poly mesh and a smooth high-poly mesh, she still has jagged edges and lines within marmoset that make her face 'frumpy', or from looking nice in general.

Any ideas?

As always, much appreciated to everyone who has helped thusly, and to everyone who's even stopped in to take a peak. Anything you have to say won't go to waste.

wKBzZ.jpg

GGLwZ.jpg
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    the anatomy looks solid.

the clothing looks very very unpolished and is bringing down your entire piece in terms of over all quality.

One real problem I'm having is that even at a high poly count in the face (4K tris), and with a large texture/normal map, and with smooth low-poly mesh and a smooth high-poly mesh, she still has jagged edges and lines within marmoset that make her face 'frumpy', or from looking nice in general.

Any ideas?

can you post a close up of the face and be more specific or point out what problems you are talking about.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks for the reply MM. I'm still working on the textures, I hope that pushing the diffuse and specular will make the clothes better. Are you saying that the style/quality of clothing is bad, or just the unpolished way they are now?

As for the problems, I took some images. It is the black 'smudging' which I am having trouble with.

In the first image I have labeled the red circles, which are my problem areas.

1 - The black outline behind the actual character is throwing me off. It is thicker in some areas and non-existant in others.

2 - faint black lines that appear at the edges of polygons in only some areas.

3 - strange shading at the corner of the mouth which doesn't seem to follow the direction of the light.

4 - Nasty lines where the nose meets the inner eye/ eyebrow. These black 'smudges' aren't present in the normal map, the high-poly in zbrush, the low poly in any application including in marmoset when no normal map is applied, the spec map nor the diffuse map.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

g9V22.jpg
    gXbWW.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Figured it out (mostly), it was a combination of low-poly normals and normal baking. Here are some new images.

I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me what a skin tone map does in marmoset. As far as I can understand it, it seperates the skin material from the phong material, so that clothing and hair doesn't take on the subdermal properties of the skin shader.

I can't find much information on it and I can't get it to work properly.

Anyways, I think I am about done with the skined areas, I'll continue on to getting the clothes nicely textured and ready.

As always, crits and comments appreciated.

mkljU.jpg
    31Qa4.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The top is a bit of a strange design. Is that more or less how it's going to be (I assume there'll be buttons on those dark spots), or is there more to it? At the least, Ithink you need to have a good look at some references and see where you need to put seams and the like.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Jackablade, at least a bit of a hemline along the top edges or something. Shorts look really nice though :)
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Her top is definitely strange. If you cover the bottom half it looks fine; cover the top half and it still looks fine. Together it's having an identity crisis: one part dress, one part union suit.

The cut at the top suggests it's made of a stiff, sturdy material (being strapless and having those seams on the breasts) but the wrinkles under the boobs and it being tucked in make it look looser. One solution would be to untuck the shirt and give it a stiff bottom edge, making it more like a corset. Or if you want that loose material on the bottom, create a seam under the breast to break up the materials. Whichever way you go, reference is going to help ground it in reality.

Any reason you changed it from before? That other shirt seemed to fit the character nicely.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    throw a blazer on her and it should be pretty good.

I second that opinion.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Made some changes. I didn't like how skinny she got by the time I was done with the clothes, so I went back and made some changes to the base-mesh. I also added back a bit of the hardness to her face because I like it, and I regretted taking it out.

Thank you both for suggesting the coat -- I added it in real quick this morning and I like it. I think I will keep the original shirt. The last thing I have to decide is whether to use long skinny-jean cut-offs or traditional cuttoffs.

I did a super rough of both, so let me know which one works best. I like the short cut-offs with the thicker legs, personally, but I am quickly loosing all objectivity.

I really want to be done with this project now, it is two weeks over-due and I have other stuff to move on to.

Thanks again all who lend opinions or crits on anything ---

z8pGf.jpg

6v4ru.jpg

H9qVy.jpg

81zTP.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Quick update before I go to sleep. New almost everything. Need to get some final things baked and then I will do textures. The only thing unfinished model wise (I believe) is the shoes.

Thanks again to all the suggestions here, everyone has really helped. The jacket in particular was a good idea.

63iCc.jpg

jO7sV.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Also I should mention that I decided to do the legs in mirror instead of using the texture space, which is why the bruise shows up on both legs. That was originally supposed to be asymmetric. I thought I had photoshopped out all the bruising since it shows off the mirror too bad, but I guess I forgot that one.

The skin is polypainted in zbrush by hand, if you're wondering why the skin looks a bit off. (i.e. no texture references applied or spotlight used, just good old alphas and color.)
  • Sako
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the way your model turns out! do you plan adding tatoos, pierces, ray ban glasses?))
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    The model looks amazing :D

Cant wait for the speculars and the finla touches. i hope you add in tattos and stuff like that :P
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She has a bit of Deus Ex Human Revolution look about her with the defined face planes and angles in the clothing.
  • DillonBarba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm how about a cardigan?
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Good job, she's a hottie :) The freckles look a bit too uniform/symmetrical on the cheeks. Can't wait to see her finished!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Put some more work into the textures, but for the last while I've just been double checking that the mesh animates correctly, since I basically baked right out of my zbrush re-topo, I figured I better make sure I'm not wasting my time on a cruddy animation setup.

@ Sako, Rion and Sahib -- Thanks for the kind words. I do plan on adding that stuff in at the end. I left a couple spots of texture space open for it some accessories.

@ jackablade - Thanks you. Loved that game.

7Toye.jpg

6Znta.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yet another WIP.

Nailed down the skin. Did some tattoo checks to figure out the best way to apply them. Found my method but not the design, I'm thinking something colorful but faded.

Fixed a couple of topology spots and put a couple preliminary bones in her. Please do not judge me based on this pose, it was just a test and then I figured I better go to bed before my eyes deflate. I will finish the bones tomorrow I think. Anyways, thus please forgive the clipping issues and also that I didn't do anything with her hands/fingers, there are no bones in them yet.

Which leaves some texturing to be finished and a bracelet to do, and then unless I think of anything else (or anyone has a good suggestion) I'm going to have to call this finished. I would really like to give her a decent rig so I can do some nice poses, and I really want to sell the textures, so those will be my focus.

If anyone has any ideas for getting good tattoo samples I would love to hear them.

Oh yes, the really major revision here is all new hands. Way, way nicer hands (in my opinion). They need nails, but the anatomy, topology & poly count are much, much more optimized and better.

Thanks to anyone who can lend an eye or a crit.

Yuri

NVTis.jpg
    8UhIh.jpg
    50wOx.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Anyone know any marmoset alpha tricks? Getting it go look nice is killing me.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    More shots. Finished a couple of things and did better with the posing. The PBR cans are probably done, they didn't take long but I don't expect them to be in more than one shot, so I won't be a perfectionist about them.

The base and floor is just something I already had. I'm going to do a proper one when the model is a bit closer to finished. Something modern/vintage, like hipsters themselves. Probably a crappy apartment platform with stained hardwood and a radiator.

I realize there are more clipping problems in a couple places (like the shoulder through the blazer), I will fix them next round.

As always, everything rendered in marmoset. I'm pretty happy with the marmoset skin shader update and the way the tattoos look on it, but got to figure out exactly what the upper chest/neck tattoo will look like. Something colorful I suppose.

Crits and comments appreciated.

xHFpo.jpg

b0ZGT.jpg

TkEEz.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    haha.. very cool character, liking it. her face seems a little "lumpy" to me, but it's hard to put my finger on what exactly..
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Sorry about the compression and size of that first one, didn't downsize it when I saved it, here's a smaller version saved at a lower compression.

yVuzx.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks Captain, any clues as to why? I wanted it to be a bit more angled over lumpy, so obviously I missed the mark.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    She's missing a burn on her lip. After all, she ate the pie before it was cool. :D

But in all seriousness, I like it. I think the shirt is a little shiny though
  • Sako
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some examples of tatoo art for chest, hope it helps in some way and they wont ban me for boobies in the thread)

A six pack, brilliant! :)

natural-angel-chest-tattoo-tattoos-1.jpg

tumblr_lulkwpsoMz1r1efc6o1_500_large.jpg

tumblr_lv1xtinGwr1qbz6f6o1_500.jpg

Heart-and-Wings-Chest-tattoos.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    haha, i'm no character artist by any stretch, so i might be completely off.

it's hard to pin down what exactly bothers me with her face. looking at it and trying to isolate single possibly odd looking features isn't giving me any useful results, so maybe it's really just those luscious lips throwing me off. her cheekbones and forehead are very flat, but that might well be intended..

sorry man, nothing valuable i can contribute, really. the majorirty of the other posters doesn't seem to be noticing anything off, so charge right ahead with completing this. I do love the model over all, fresh style and lots more interesting than warrior princess #30290 :)

(oh and i think you could possibly add more skin blemishes, pores, the like.)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder whether it's the lack of teeth. The fact that you cant see them slightly confuses the structure of the mouth. Try popping in some dentures, even if they're just quick ones for a start, and see if that fixes things.