Home General Discussion

The Polycount Hub (Proof of Concept)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sythen polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

A few months back, a Polycount University was set up on Skype between contributing members of Polycount. We started to use Skype as a Global Chat for members who wanted to be apart of this. Essentially, the idea behind it is that members from both Character Art and Environment Art can get together, share their work, and critique; a few challenges are also set up every so often as well.

During this, I considered creating The Polycount Hub.

The Polycount Hub:
The Polycount Hub, is a piece of dedicated Software similiar to Steam, and Skype melded together with Polycount. The idea is simple, Software that includes the following features:
  1. Main site integration of Polycount Forum and Website
  2. Global Chat for Polycount users (Sign in with the same ID you use on the website)
  3. Call and Video Chat system to allow users to share their screen and to allow other users to Critique
  4. A system that allows Polycount users to create their Portfolios on the forum, and show that page in an organised System within the Polycount Hub

The concept itself is in place, I've begun work on a Proof-Of-Concept to try and get things going.

Proof Of Concept:
I will update this thread with new screenshots of a design I have worked up for this Polycount Hub. For now, I have done a mock-up of the Global Chat Area.

ProofOfConcept_PolycountHub.jpg
(The names used within this Proof of Concept are members of Polycount University, should you want your name removed from the images, please let me know on Skype)

Primarily I am a Designer over Programmer, So I'm asking anyone on the Forum with programming experience who would like to help out with this project to give me a shout!

E-Mail: Scott@scottbaker.eu
(Place "Polycount Hub" within the Re: of your E-Mail)

If you have any other ideas that you feel would contribute greatly to the project also send me them too!

Thank you,
Scott 'Sythen' Baker

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    What a great idea, +1 to making this happen!
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent!

I'm glad to hear people are taking interest in this =]

- Sythen
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice idea sir. Cant wait to see it happen.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update =]

Slides.jpg
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Now Hub... then rest of the WORLD! cool idea!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice! What a fantastic idea!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    very awesome idea.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    But can I open a dozen threads at once and use DownloadThemAll to grab every picture on a page at once like in Firefox? :p
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    awesome idea. you have my support for sure :D +1 on this.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Very cool idea. Can't wait to see this come together.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyHertz: I'm sure I could integrate a tabs function, up to you to right click and download though =/ We'll see what happens.
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A wonderful idea and a cool concept.

There are a couple of questions that pops into mind:

1. Why build a software that inhibits other platforms such as Linux, Mac, smartphones and tablets to join in aswell?

2. All features you've presented sofar is doable through Google VOiP API and a simple web interface -- What is the real reason to have it as an application other than making it 'more legit' ?

3. As you are not a programmer, you cannot fathom how much work goes into this kind of software (neither can I). It has more feature than Skype and skype was initially developed over 2 years by 4 people. So we're looking at a long development cycle. Sustaining a piece of software like this is also a job bigger than one person can give their spare time to. So, third question is: What is your budget plan? Are you going to have ads? Is Polycount OK with this? Will you be able to pay for the oracle server backbone? The software maintenance?

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm trying to think critically because these are all imo valid issues you are going to have to deal with.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    the idea looks interesting, the only part I don't like is the browser part. Why do you want to make a forum browser if we have apps like opera, chrome etc that already do that? Steam is ok for the store/etc, but the official forums aren't accessed from the app but from your normal browser :)

Maybe the whole hub could be made for web, like battlelog :P
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i love the idea, but i had some thoughts similar to Julmust when reading it over. it would be an awesome addition for all the community of polycount, but if main functions of it revolve around the site as it already sits (with a homepage and forum), then why not just have a subdomain instead? (ex: hub.polycount.com)

it would allow a wider selection of people to use it (as it would be running through a browser) and it would probably take significantly less time to roll out than a program-based system.

either way, paint me intrigued. i would love for a system like this to really "bring the community together"
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fathom: Regarding your questions,

1. This software doesn't have to be specific to any operating system, it can be an Online software that integrates nicely with Polycount, like I said it's only a concept.

2. I think that Users of Polycount are entitled to having some software that will assist them in their daily creations. This isn't mandatory to download, only an 'extra' to the Polycount Universe.

3. I never stated that I had no programming knowledge, just that I am not a Programmer. I have worked in Networking companies and I have done courses in Programming. It's just not my forte. I understand were your coming from, Software like this does require a lot of people with different skill-sets to create, which is why I'm posing the concept to the Polycount users.

As mentioned above I have worked with Networking companies, as a result I have gained contacts that I do believe will be beneficial to the project. But primarily the only technologies I see in place right now, are a MYSQL server for user database, A browser, and an integrated IRC Chat. All of which I have and that can be used.

In terms of being an ass about things, I really don't see it that way. I was half-expecting some of these questions to come about, right now I'm putting together the concept, along with working out which technologies can be used. From there, we can work out budgeting, if things will cost and the work that we need to put into it.

But thank you for posting the questions.

@JostVice

We've not really defined how this Hub will come about, but I do see it as an integral part to the Polycount Universe as it stands. There is nothing that is saying that it has to be specifically software, it could be browser based.

@Mike Yevin
    It's possible that it could be a subdomain to the website, although I would have to consult Polycount Adminstration about that, it seems that making it a website would be a great way to do things, I have programming experience with the web as I design websites myself. HTML5 could also prove useful too, Social Media Integration too.

Thank you all for your questions, I hope I've answered them thoroughly.
    - Sythen.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
    +1 to making this happen.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    this is amazing and i pray this actually gets made im so freaking excited :D
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah. Cool idea there, Sythen.

Now to get it approved by the forum admins.

---
    This forum runs on Vbulletin so a possible solution would be to install a Vbulletin chat plugin. Unless anyone has any REAL programming experience this idea is aiming too high with the "Call and video chat" Anyway I would like a chat on this forum would be a cool feature. just please make it minimalist and not overbearing. why not just have a chatbox like http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox ? It would be alot easier to implement

a bit sad you didn't put me in the friends online list in your picture :( jk
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    well right now we have model design which is pretty much out chat room, or the closest thing to it, but we've also had a lot of successful google hangouts with 4-8 game artists almost every night around 1-4am central time, I know there was a polycount vent group that never worked out, maybe promoting google hangouts would be a better option.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do like the idea of Google Hangouts, but the initial concept was to create something or a website that was specific to the needs of Polycount instead of moving outside the box with separate accounts to do some simple tasks. As far as I'm aware there is a Google VOIP API that we can use and integrate it within the website.

I'm currently working on taking the ideas of this thread along with looking up the technology and making a formal plan that we can begin production with

@Makecg

Awh, I apologize, next screenshot ;)

- Sythen.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    heh, I know this isnt really UI nice, but what if the polycount avatar acted like the maya menu system? (Radial dial). I mean instead of them surrounding it, you click on it and then they appear (or maybe highlight more from back ground) depending where you drag your mouse with it held down.

Wont be so cool for us computer users, but touch screens may appreciate.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I like the idea :)

You could work with us to get this implemented right on to the site so nothing 3rd party is required. The video/voice chat might be a pain to do with that, though.

Do you have CSS/PHP know-how?

If not, carry on and keep us up to date as you go along.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    love the idea, I cannot wait for this to happen..
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Its finally happening! THANK YOU! OMG <3
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    The concept sounds rad. But what's this Polycount University thing you're talking about?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    tanka wrote: »
    The concept sounds rad. But what's this Polycount University thing you're talking about?

you're already enrolled son.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah tanka you've been enrolled for a while.

But we haven't received for payment yet. Feel free to pay your tuition fee to me.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka wrote: »

It will have set of sections such as:

Pimp and preview
    3d showcase
    Technical Talk
    Competitions
    etc

to help you beef up your art skills.

And yes, as almighty_gir said; we've all been enrolled the moment we signed up for this website.

I wish we have good assigned artists as professors who would give us a lecture/demonstration via live stream about any asset/part/tutorial of 3d arts, or 2d arts as well.

It is kind of really useless to ask for a personal TV channel on polycount, like the one my clan has for league of legends tournaments displayed right on their site's main page (Dirt Nap Gaming), but a session for streaming live construction of a 3d model and live update of it to the news, Than moving that live footage to the archives for those who havent been able to see it will also benefit us all.

The reason I ask this is because few people who do an amazing work in the videos they upload on youtube. It would be awesome for them to have their own sub section where we all get to see their stuff instead of just one thread bumping up once in a while.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i don't know that livestreaming would be manageable, especially for the artists who most people would want to see a stream from (hey, we all have our heroes, right?). but a good library of timelapses and things would certainly be welcome.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I would love to not have to login when i'm already logged in here at polycount. Oh and just for inspiration: gameartisans doas already have a chat but there is nobody online mostly. i guess because it's not made pretty prominent.
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    +1 for this idea!
    The nice thing about this project is that lurking and passive polycounters
    can quickly ask questions and learn from this even more directly than on the site.
    (Such as me :D )
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Nice idea! :D
    +1!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you need anything, just let me know and I'll do my best.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to hear the amount of people interested in this project, for now the concept is near finalization, we have switched it to be a browser based concept allowing a much more user-friendly atmosphere.

From there, we hope contact Polycount admins and try to work out a subdomain to Polycount, (i.e: hub.polycount.com) But don't hold me too that, again still concept stages.

Updates from here on may be a little slow, but for those of you who are interested in helping out and can code websites, let me know via PM here on Polycount!

- Sythen
  • Jernej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that this is a nice idea too!
    +1
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I dont think Im ever going to leave my room if this comes out. kinda like skyrim only Ill be leveling up my modeling instead of alchemy
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    I dont think Im ever going to leave my room if this comes out. kinda like skyrim only Ill be leveling up my modeling instead of alchemy

I'm sure any attempt of gamification will mean you never leave your chair.

http://gamification.org/wiki/Jesse_Schell_DICE
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »

Real life RPG with cg artist character class... no need to go outside!
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I think this is a fantastic idea. Make it happen! xD
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Really fantastic idea, really hope this can happen!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I would throw a few bucks to make this happen. Like, to a kickstarter or something.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, It's been a while since I've done anything to the concept of Polycount Hub. But I'd like to state that I've been looking into it and discussing with other web developers what would be the best way to pull this off. Looking into it, I've been focusing primarily on wordpress as the fundamental basis to the site.

Wordpress allows for user creation based on MySQL Databases, as well as the integration of IRC Chat systems. Which in my opinion suits the project down to the core. The only issue I can see in the future, would be trying to integrate it with Polycount.

I don't know the systems that Polycount uses, so unfortunately, it may mean users of Polycount will need to register a seperate account with Polycount Hub.

Video and Voice chat most likely will not be integrated. Though similar to the way forums work and Skypes call plugins. We can at the very least link skype with the site's design, and within advertisement of the site, encourage users to use this feature so they can directly contact other users of the Hub.

With each users creation on Polycount Hub, they will be dedicated a Portfolio page. This page will allow users to post up their best work, and maintain it in a style that suits imagery the best.

Finally for the critique system. I've been looking into creating a formatted box underneath the IRC that allows users to post links. Wordpress will interpret the links and display them as images. I am however still looking into formatting a comment/thread per image allowing users to independently comment on each image giving critique to the user who posted it.

If that fails, users can post the links in the box, and refrence to them by a number/code within the IRC.

As for the websites design itself, it will follow as closely as possible both the color scheme and layout of Polycount to blend nicely with the community's already established style.

Lots to think about, and lots to work with. I've started a localhost version of wordpress and am in the process of currently running some tests.

Like stated before, if there are any Polycount members who are web developers and would like to aid with the project. Please send me a message or e-mail me at:
    Scott@scottbaker.eu

Thanks guys for the support,
    Sythen.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I dunno, I fail to see the real necessity of this. Why would you want to show your work to a few people only instead of posting here where everyone can see and critique? Any critique on the forum is also archived forever being a a huge learning tool for everyone by itself.

Why create a tool if we could have a Polycount university sub-forum instead, just like in conceptart.org?

If you guys want a place to hang out why not just create a #polycount IRC channel? I'd definitely hang out in such channel if it existed.

So many whys!!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    I dunno, I fail to see the real necessity of this. Why would you want to show your work to a few people only instead of posting here where everyone can see and critique? Any critique on the forum is also archived forever being a a huge learning tool for everyone by itself.

Why create a tool if we could have a Polycount university sub-forum instead, just like in conceptart.org?

If you guys want a place to hang out why not just create a #polycount IRC channel? I'd definitely hang out in such channel if it existed.

So many whys!!

Not every change in technology is a necessity you know. It would be just more convenient for everyone around here. Ofcourse there are many ways around doing things.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minotaur0 wrote: »

So many whys!!

The reason why is that having a website that includes the new features will be more beneficial to the community. Yes we could create an IRC, but the community would need to download an IRC Client just to access it, even with that an IRC doesn't have any kind of specific highlighted critique system.

I've seen other websites like Interlopers have portfolio pages which have gone successfully, and I think that we as a community would benefit from an upgrade.

Yes forums are helpful, but there is a lot of features we can add to make it more instant, and more organized.

- Sythen.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I've got to agree with Minotaur, I don't see the point.
    If someone wants to chat, there's #model_design on irc.freenode.net, and freenode has a webchat app on their site http://webchat.freenode.net/ so no need for a separate client.

Portfolio's won't get used. You used Interlopers as an example, they've got 74 portofolios but 9400 forum members, that's not even 1% of their users bothering with them. Not to mention that if someone wants their portfolio critiqued, they already post it in p'n'p where they'll get feedback on their presentation as well as the content.

Honestly, it seems like a load of pointless fluff that will be abandoned after the novelty wears off
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    While you're doing this go ahead and support that 3d model previewer or whatever in there also :)
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kind of agree with some of the others as to whats the point. But I do see it being helpful/useful. Mainly just for instant feedback vs. not as instant in a thread, but that also could be instant too.

A chat could be added to the main page somehow, like Facebook I'm sure, and you could get feedback in there as well/instead.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I do not agree. I was one of the original people who started the Skype chat and at first everyone said it was pointless. eventually we abandoned the forum thread and just started using the Skype channel both for instant critique and guidance, and for just some chat and socializing with other polycounters.