Home General Discussion

Artist exercises. (Formerly: Upping the ante on our next challenge(s).)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Working within spec limits is good. It makes people consider the work they are doing while letting them work without shackles.

But I think its time we introduce some shackles to really challenge you guys as creative thinkers.

How would you guys feel if we did a contest, for example, where you had to create a scifi hallway. "Adam! Everyone and their mother does these it seems!"

Yes, this is true. However, the following things are not allowed to be anywhere in your entry:
  • Warning stripes
  • Hanging cables
  • More than 3 lights
  • Glass floors
  • Diagonals that occur at more than 1 angle
  • Vents
  • Computer consoles

Too many people get comfortable with themes and create what they know: cliches. So how would you guys feel if not only did we limit specs on our Challenges, but also negated items to which you're allowed to use in your scene. This is a challenge, after all. And we're thinking that spec limits might not be enough of a challenge to really have you guys thinking outside the box. The Mutant League challenge is working well because its not a common theme. Mutant themed sports arenas and players. But things like alley ways, scifi hallways, castle walls and so on might be an interesting theme for us to choose for future challenges.

Call it the "Anti-cliche Challenge".

Discuss.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Just a hallway with a row of tilted glass window on the one side and a lit wall on the other side...wait, sorry :D

Nice idea tho, Since you didnt say we should present it in any game engine, or "more than 3 lights and 3 light references, are we allowed to illuminate the objects to light up the scene? Instead of using lights?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Setting a theme, and then disallowing elements of said theme that have become generic. I like. Gets the creative juices going.

1st rule in every challenge should be 'No fully dressed chicks with exposed breasts'. Even if its an environment challenge.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think CGSociety used to have great themes that were more abstract in concept that were limiting in many ways, but as a result became very creatively open.

'Retrofuturistic' is a great example. It doesn't tell you style, what to make or how to do it.

I guess what I'd be getting at is; if you came up with a contest simply called "Stop Sign" you'd get some absolutely outrageous designs that went with everything from Sci Fi, to hand-painted fantasy, to photo-reffed hyper-real to cartoony abstract expressionism.

You'd get some people wanting to create an environment that told a story about a stop sign, to zombie apocalypse stop signs, to a very incredibly well made incredibly well detailed close-up of an incredibly complex and well made prop, Or an insect colony that uses a stop sign to setup their beehive/ant hill.

One awesome suggestion (IMHO) for an art contest, was the inspirational basis of Gears of War.

"Destroyed Beauty".

Even as a character Art contest that would be awesome.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I think JacqueChoi's is on to something. Instead of really limiting what you can do, leave it wildly open and vague. Let creativity fill in the rest. Those that play it safe won't do as well.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am up for it, as soon as I am done with this Mutant League Contest.

My theme is going to be: Si-Fi Fantasy.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Ive always liked the idea of giving contestants a theme (i.e. sci fi, western, etc) but then assigning them three words/characteristics which must be present in their model. For example, a fantasy theme with the key characteristics of "thin, green, elephant". See how far that would stretch their imagination.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Don't care either way. I'm just hungry for more competitions in general. Especially as I have zero interest in the current mutant one so I fear I'm going to have to wait another 6-8months for another opportunity to do PC one.

But to be helpful I'll say yes I'd be up for it and it would be refreshing to see limitations that reward creativity.

• Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    skylebones wrote: »
    I think JacqueChoi's is on to something. Instead of really limiting what you can do, leave it wildly open and vague. Let creativity fill in the rest. Those that play it safe won't do as well.

I think you are missing the point of this contest idea. By leaving it wide open most people will simply fall back onto clich
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I think you are missing the point of this contest idea.

Yeah, I agree. What Adam is proposing is something different to your usual challenge, which is, normally, very open ended.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Adam, I absolutely love the idea for this because it directly addresses some of the problems I have with stuff like DomWar the CGS challenges. It feels like those contests have come down to who can execute the largest number of clich
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Also I hate calling this a contest, I'd rather call it an exercise.

I think the exercises come before the competitions in the form of practice. The contest is more like the test. Compete with others and yourselves and then get graded at the end.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Thats almost as crazy as scifi without mech angels
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I think JacqueChoi is on the right track there. I for one, do enjoy "contests" though where there is a prize.

It can even be something as small as an article about the winner on the front page or a little icon on their profile or something.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I like keeping it more open ended rather than limiting. Doing a prop or vehicle portion on the next challenge would be great. Some Artists don't always have time for full enviros. So doing a really detailed prop or vehicle might be a bit easier.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    There def should be a balance. I've been wanting to do another vehicle or fps weapon based one for a while. The old fps one, the f-zero one and the jet moto one was awesome.

I want to do more of those. Def 2012 will be more challenges/contests.

I think an article about the winner on the front page is a fantastic idea and having that piece shown off is the lease we could do as a community.

Great ideas in here fellas.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I can see this working really well. Brings people out of there comfort zone in a set area.
    Its like a game of Pictionary!

You must describe the object in 3D without the usual elements of said object.

Go for broke as far as i can say.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'm in. But I think 3 lights is a little low, though I suppose windows is a good solution to this.

Time to learn the UDK! Perfect excuse.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    You forgot the most important cliche... crates!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    <lurk mode off>

In order not to be a ninja of negativity here, I'll start by saying that I consider the intention and effort of this proposition highly laudable.

That said, I think it's rubbish. You want creativity, and you're specifying exactly which things are, according to you, creative. What if I envision a hallway lit by hundreds of little lights in the shape of flowers and a glass floor over a carpet of grass to combine the natural and the mechanical? Whoops, Adam says that's not creative in multiple ways. You're not encouraging people to think out of the box - you're ordering them to think inside your own box, which, yes, is a different one, but that's still not artistic creativity. I left Polycount ten (!) months ago in disgust of sci-fi hallways, but in the meanwhile I've learned that you can't force or persuade artists to change their bad habits - you can only inspire them to do so.

Now I'd like to point out that the thing you're proposing might be bigger than you realise. This wouldn't be a challenge of execution, but one of design. That's pretty radical for a 3D competition, and I can't remember having seen one ever. Technical prowess breeds bad design. Skill in modeling and texturing is shown by having as much detail as possible, skill in design is shown by having as little detail as you can get away with. The high-detail, awful design wins, gets lauded, and the idea implants itself in our brains that that's what we're supposed to do; hence the DomWar having become a game of copy-the-Slipgate, when its first iteration had some much nicer designs.

So rather, I'd humbly propose this: make it a contest about building *any* sci-fi hallway, a clich
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I like the idea. Always loved those where you can't fall back on what's been done. My only problem with this is that it's an environment comp, so it doesn't leave much room for me to participate. If you could encompass characters in the theme, that would be great.

BTW, Mutant League? You guys gotta figure out a better way to communicate that stuff, I had no idea it was happening until just now.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie, you either have no idea what you are talking about or you do not fully understand the purpose of this proposed exercise.

Every artist has to work within limitations, whether they be technical or aesthetic. It is working within these limitations and solving the problems associated with them that breeds creativity. IF you want to make a hallway loaded with sci-fi clich
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    As an artist who's portfolio work is all based off cliches, I'm stomping around saying to myself how much I hate this idea.

But...

As the "proffesional" artist who has discovered that the box he works in is WAY too small for his own good, I give a big ol' THUMBS UP to something like this.

Even though there may be proposed restrictions, it's those restrictions that I think create more interesting / thought provoking outcomes. Even if it could be "crap", it garuntees that (at least for some of us) we have to leave our comfort zones and REALLY start becoming the designer... instead of just a "monkey see, monkey do" kind of artist.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I don't really like the idea if it was a hard rule, it feels too artificially constricted. IMO part of the allure of challenges is it lets you work on something that gives you more freedom than what you do all day at work. I'd much prefer working on a contest where the guidelines were more like "create a hallway, contest will be judged base on originality", something looser like that.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I think limitations would be cool but not restricting it to a set place would be cool. Kind of like the thread where somebody(I forget who) used a single texture to make a bunch of different props and created an interesting scene from it.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Paul, I think there's a bit of miscommunication here. I've never met anyone who loathes clich
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Artists always have the opportunity to work on anything they want given the time, but more often than not lots of time is wasted spinning wheels on figuring out what to do. No one is stopping you from working on what you want to, hell if the theme of a challenge inspires you but you aren't happy with a crucial restriction, work on it yourself.

Constraints however small lead to creative solutions. A theme is a constraint, time limit, polycount limit, texture limit are all constraints. I see the restrictions as a tool to stop artists from being lazy by relying on tired cliche ideas. I don't see anything wrong with it being a challenge in both execution and design.

Even those Arenanet art tests awhile back, were in essence the most constraining sort of thing, but lots of entrys tackled parts of the concept differently.
  • Delerium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    Paul, I think there's a bit of miscommunication here. I've never met anyone who loathes clich
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not like the contests are mandatory. So just make art and post in the pimping forum if you don't like the contest going on.
  • Delerium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffro wrote: »
    It's not like the contests are mandatory. So just make art and post in the pimping forum if you don't like the contest going on.

Discuss. Was the last words so I guess that's what we are supposed to do in this thread.
    And I think its brilliant that the rules or theme of an upcoming contest can be ventilated before it takes off.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No I was just saying if the contest isn't your thing then just make art and post in the pimping forum. It's impossible to please everyone. The current contests are great. More of them would be great and more variety. Just my thoughts though.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Zwebbie: You're getting hung up on examples of limitations. That list was examples.

For instance: Don't use the colour grey. That's a limitation. I wasn't specifying them to be cliches individually but just examples of limitations so people were encouraged to draw away from cliches.

Paul was right in that something like this would be an exercise of creativity rather than a Challenge, per se.

Example challenge idea:
    Build a scifi hallway with the following limitations:

- 1 main light source. Secondary or aesthetic light sources are OK. (Blinking warning lights, monitor indicators, etc.)
    - No vents, hanging/loose wires, or caution stripes
    - Every panel you create has to be there with a purpose. If its simply a cut in panel then its a fail. Its your job as an artist to articulate in your environment as to why those panels are there.

Note: This is an exercise in creating an environment with known cliches unavailable to you. Everything listed above can very well be used in successfully creative environments of scifi hallways, but for this Polycount Exercise you are to follow the rules listed above.

It's pretty trivial what the idea is here. Others have come up with great ideas as well for ways of limiting guidelines even further beyond triangle and texture limitations.

Ultimately I think what we would do is (in Challenges, Contests or what have you) stress your need for creative thinking in the design of your character/environment/weapon/vehicle as much as your technical ability. If you're going to go after every cliche in the book with the topic at hand, you'd have better execute and develop to the point where it feels fresh otherwise its become nothing but a technical challenge for yourself. In the talk I gave to IGDA Toronto I talked a lot about getting uncomfortable. That idea, of being comfortable when you're creating, is something I'd like to see more artists stepping away from. This thread is a discussion of how we can do that in future Challenges & Contests.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Zwebbie: You make a valid point, but...quit lurking and show us some beautiful art already. I don't understand what all this drama is about.
    First step, maybe change your avatar to something non-cliche.

Anyway, I think it'd be interesting to encourage participants to avoid grunge/dirt/busy textures, but to really establish a solid design motif with shape and color. Simplistic is the word I'm looking for.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I think limitations is a good idea, but I think JacqueChoi is onto something aswell.

What I feel has limited me/kept me from polycount challenges is the themes. For example mutant league. I didnt have any exposure to tons of things that most people seemed to like when they were kids, like marvel comics, transformers, etc etc, so for me this is just...meh? The specs are fine etc, i can work with anything, but I dont get inspired by the theme.

Themes with keywords is a great idea, like JacqueChoi suggested, BUT i also like the idea of limitations like adam suggested. Would be great with a theme that allowed for alot of imagination and inspiration, but still was limiting enough to make sure people avoided clichees and pushed their creative boundaries. :) imho :]
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I like where JacqueChoi is going with his point. Less = More.
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 14
    Limitations are a fantastic way for us to grow as artists, so i'm all for this.
    But give us a new challenge/ contest soon.. please!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie wrote: »

P.S. I agree with Dreamer. I'd have been long back on Polycount if there was something worth participating in.

Any contest relative to art is worth participating. Doesnt matter if you are at the top floor of the building, sitting in a comfy chair (petting a white cat possibly) and work in a well known game company as a lead artist.

competition is a competition, participating it will not make your reputation and standards of art any less.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    In agreement with Snefer. I'd never even heard of Mutant League before it got posted on the news page and as an archaic game series I've never played it makes it really difficult to get excited about. I didn't participate in the brawl comp either because I don't really play fighting games nor do I find it incredibly interesting to reinvent other peoples characters (also the reason I don't do the comicon challenge)

I know you're never going to satisfy everybody with every theme but I think making them more open ended would go a lot further in both getting people to participate and getting interesting results than continuing to make them more and more esoteric with every new comp...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The Mutant League challenge is about creating a mutant monster typed character character or suitable environment environment for any sport, not just one related to the ancient gridiron game.

I do like the idea of a competition that doesn't allow for people to work in their staid comfort zones, but I think the simple examples given are likely to wind up being more frustrating than mind expanding.

*How about an environment or character where no surface has a colouration below 75% chroma. ALternatively, one with zero chroma could also be interesting, though I think forcing people to use bright colours may be more beneficial.
    *How about working from some specific classical art style - I'd love to see what people would do tasked with creating a Picasso style cubist character in three dimensions.
    *I remember back in the day we did a competition where models had no textures had had to be detailed entirely with vertex colouring. That's the sort of limitation that brings out peoples creativity.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Any contest relative to art is worth participating.

~ Gotta agree with Nitwalkr.

When I said I didn't want to enter the current comp, it was only because the theme was very uninteresting to me. I didn't ever feel it "wasn't worth participating in".

All in all though I think its great that you're keeping this idea generation transparent.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Cant we just have a challenge themed öriginal sci-fi?

Imagine the future, think like a designer not a 3d artist, and any cliched entries will not win no matter how technically competant they are? We want original design over technical ability, and both will be a winning combination.

Personally i think scifi is so cliched because its damn hard to create anything totally original in this field. Theres a reason why Geiger and 2001 are so revered, is because they have totally dominated the genre. However, its not impossible and would make a bloody good challenge, but to create some really groundbreaking scifi, be it character or enviro, you need an excellent imagination, to be a good designer, and a capable 3d artist to realise it.

I am up for it, it would be one of the weirdest and possibly most wonderful challenges ever!

Alien planet, no normal buildings, flora or fauna?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Snefer wrote: »
    I think limitations is a good idea, but I think JacqueChoi is onto something aswell.

What I feel has limited me/kept me from polycount challenges is the themes. For example mutant league. I didnt have any exposure to tons of things that most people seemed to like when they were kids, like marvel comics, transformers, etc etc, so for me this is just...meh? The specs are fine etc, i can work with anything, but I dont get inspired by the theme.

Themes with keywords is a great idea, like JacqueChoi suggested, BUT i also like the idea of limitations like adam suggested. Would be great with a theme that allowed for alot of imagination and inspiration, but still was limiting enough to make sure people avoided clichees and pushed their creative boundaries. :) imho :]

Snefer, Thanks for saying exactly what's been bugging me about the challenges that I couldn't put my finger on.

"Make a fighting stage!" I have never owned a fighting game and they do not interest me.

"Make something for mutant league!" I have never heard of this game and I don't play any sports games.

I suppose you could say it moves me out of my comfort zone, but it also fails to inspire. I like the idea of both constraints that would make people think outside the box, but an open ended brief.

e.g. Brief: 'Treehouse' Constraint: 'No wooden materials.'

edit:
    Brief: 'Ships.' Constraint: 'No water or space.'
    Brief: 'The unveiling.' Constraint: 'Must rely on either only warm colours, or only cool colours.'
    Brief: 'Art warrior.' Constraint: 'Must use brush as weapon.'
    Brief: 'Urban Jungle.' Constraint: 'Must include vegetation.'

• JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Neat idea, please don't make it a hallway though( i know it's just your example), it's literally the most boring type of environment art to look at. :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Guys I think people are misunderstanding what Mutant League challenge is. It's not just look at Mutant League and remake it. It's basically hey make some awesome mutant athletes/competitors or stadium/arena with a Mutant League like theme.

I've expanded on it and let it open to pretty much any competitive sport. Hell there is even a Mutant League ballerina in there somewhere.

Someone could have made a stadium that looked like it was from the Fallout Universe for all I care as far as detail and post apoc loving goes as long as it was within the specs.

Then again. Can't please everyone.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Considering that the Mutant League challenge was posted on the front page, it was pretty hard to miss. I hate to say it, but I'm afraid no one has an excuse for not knowing about it unless you never visit the front page. If you don't, I don't know what to tell you art-news haters.
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    Considering that the Mutant League challenge was posted on the front page, it was pretty hard to miss. I hate to say it, but I'm afraid no one has an excuse for not knowing about it unless you never visit the front page. If you don't, I don't know what to tell you art-news haters.

huh? Not one person said they missed it...?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    generally this seems to be a good idea.

however, what defines cliche is very subjective and an idea that is NOT considered cliche today could easily be considered cliche tomorrow or next year.

it is good to force creativity but i think execution is far more important when it comes to learning or progressing your skill set.

a cliche idea can easily be turned into great piece of art with great execution.

just my 2 cent.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Makkon wrote: »

Im sure a lot of people have the Forums page directly bookmarked over the main page, just saying.

I do like adams idea of limiting this in terms of straying away from cliche things with the sci fi examples of hanging wires, non purposeful metal panels and such. But then again I also like the idea of leaving things very vague and open.

I think why not try both? Right now things are pretty open on this challenge so the next one why not try and limit it and see how things go? Then the one after can be more open again?

In the end like Jessy said you cant please everyone. Even with this content, some people just dont care about mutants or mutant related things. It just donst inspire them. I am one of those people, but I understand that not every challenge is going to be something I want to partake in or find interesting, and am cool with that. Hopefully these contents keep going really well that we can have more in attempt to please everyone :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    If the worry is "cliche", then why not avoid a "cliche" subject.

Dominance War is Cliche, because it was a contest about designing the most badass mech warrior demon cyborg thing you can.

The subject is cliche, and doesn't really leave a lot of room for it to be anything but that.

If you want to do something more contemporary, pick a more contemporary topic. Sci Fi Hallway IS a cliche subject.

What if said the topic was Titled:

M.C. Escher's Paradox - Where whatever you made had to be a surreal paradox of something creating something which creates something, that creates the original thing.

or

The Beatles Song:
    A contest where you can model anything from a 'Yellow Submarine'. Or just a gruesome murder scene of Charles Manson's 'Helter Skelter' murders. Or maybe a dioramma of the Fab 4 on the Ed Sullivan stage, to a surreal pscychedelic 60's recreation of one of their videos.

or

Optical Illusion:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8HPf5SCp6D8RpKT4TyrmE84E_UwutKgofbupQPtM28iZUxCTYNnh8YnyK2g Create an image that looks like something else.

Maybe I'm off the boat here, but I'd love to see challenges that geared more towards creativity finding art solutions. Not really creatively finding technical solutions.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea of discouraging cliche's instead of voting the most cliche thing to the top of the pile. I love it when things are open and free to creative input instead of highly shoehorned like DW. "You can make a medic but they can't have more than 2 arms, they must be exactly the color of your forum and they must fit into the dimensions of this box" Screw that, that isn't fun that's "I'm thinking of a number, whoever guesses the closest wins!"

I liked the Brawl because it was about re-imagining a fighting stage or character and it was so open, you could do almost anything. I think it would have been less fun if we said "make a warehouse but don't use any crates or storage shelves".

I liked the TF2 contest because a style guide was set (TF2) and a general guideline was given "make a weapon pack" but it didn't say, make a mini gun replacement without using metal. I really like it when we don't pigeon hole the entry into a narrow category.

I just don't have time for the latest challenge even think it would be fun. So I don't want to come off like I'm boycotting the latest challenge or railing against it, but I do think we need to carefully craft challenges so they don't wind up with 4 pages of requirements, exclusions and exceptions.

Also, I REALLY like Choi's last idea of creating something that looks like something else. That could fit characters as well as environments, weapons and vehicles.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    If the worry is "cliche", then why not avoid a "cliche" subject.

Dominance War is Cliche, because it was a contest about designing the most badass mech warrior demon cyborg thing you can.

The subject is cliche, and doesn't really leave a lot of room for it to be anything but that.

If you want to do something more contemporary, pick a more contemporary topic. Sci Fi Hallway IS a cliche subject.

So what you are essentially saying here is that you can't think of any creative and original solutions to a clich