Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fps Pistol

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, been quite some time since I posted here. I've been busy with contract jobs and finally got permission to post this pistol while I was on commission for Ironbelly. Long story short, the original designer wasn't up to the task and couldn't complete the job properly, so I had to step in and redo everything completely. Still, the design credit goes to Vitali Ivanov (so don't grill me if design sucks, not my prob). The client was satisfied, but I'm always looking for an improvement. Critiques & suggestions are always welcome!
Pistol1.jpg
Pistol2.jpg
Pistol3.jpg

Replies

• KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Alex, love the weapon. One thing I would say is that the scratched black metal texture is reading a bit like worn leather to my eyes. Particularly near the muzzle in that first picture. Another thing, which might just be down to the design, is the top of the grip, it just looks a little odd to me, like the texture doesn't fit the geometry. I understand that you're bound to someone else's design, but don't let that stop you suggesting improvements for the model, it's much better to be the guy who's always getting involved and throwing ideas around than the guy who just gets on with it.
    pistol_crit.jpg
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, thanks for reply :) Yeah you are right, normal map came in too strong with the scratches, I planned on re-doing that part anyway. As for the handle, I'm not sure what you mean :P You mean there is no grove where the seam between 2 parts is supposed to be? And for design part, actually no. I wasn't working directly with the client (i got outsourced) and I got the job pretty much 1 day before deadline...
  • nicafornica
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    There is too much scratches on the edges, cool design but tone it down on the white scratches.
  • OtrickP
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Nice gat! I agree the edges look a little too scratcy. Sick design though, you concept it yourself?
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys, I'm already fixing the scratches ;) Pat, read the intro I made, I rescued this gun from the brink of abysm :P
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    leather gun will kill you slowly with it's edges.
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Haha you bet! But for now we'll have to stick to old fashioned pistol wiping :P
    I've fixed up normals, touched up on normal map and made the handle part more believable. Made the texture more metally and a touch worn. I'll add some wear on it tmr. But for now Guten?
    Pistol4.jpg
  • nightshade
    Much better, i can see what it is now ;)
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I think the edges are too tight to show off the specular. And the metal is a little boring.
  • RexM
    Big improvement on textures.

Now work on material definition. Check out a lot of pistols. Some are all black, all metal. Some have stainless steel slides or gun black slides and plastic trigger assembly housings, or even metal trigger assembly housings. Push the contrast. Add dots, lines, whatever you need to create a sight picture to the sights (look up 'sight picture' on google images).

What is the button above the trigger? Is that the safety, a takedown pin or button, or....?

Think about how this would fit in your hand. Think about how easy it is going to be to press buttons. If it looks like the button is harder to access than it is, things like that. For example, the button right behind the trigger is the common spot for releasing a magazine. It looks like it would be hard for someone with a bigger thumb to hit it when considering the size of the overall firearm.

Think about the purpose of everything, and then think of ways to make that purpose realistically plausible.

The slots on the back of the slide are there to grip the slide to pull it back. Might not get a good grip and slip with the slanted indents. These are just my thoughts and experiences with shooting / owning firearms, and also just general things I look for when I am purchasing the most usable, reliable, and user-friendly gun.

This ended up longer than I thought it would. I hope it helps. Even if you don't take my suggestions directly it should give you a lot to think about to also improve the look of your creations. A more usable firearm is simply a more attractive firearm, even when just considering looks. ;)
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The design of the pistol is very 2003. As in 'we designed it to be blocky to save polygons'.
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    RexM wrote: »
    What is the button above the trigger? Is that the safety, a takedown pin or button, or....?

This just set a spark off in my brain, and not about that button, but about the little lever-thing to the right of it. The purpose of this, as found on many handguns, is to hold the slide back when the magazine is empty. This does two things; indicates to the user that it's empty, and holds the chamber open ready for the next round so that when a fresh magazine is inserted there's no need to re-cock the weapon, you just pull the lever down, it releases the slide, and the chamber receives another round.

The reason I'm saying this is that there's nowhere on the slide for that lever to catch, so it wouldn't actually do anything :/

You can see how it would work here;
    Colt_Model_of_1911_U.S._Army_b.png
    Might not be a big deal, but any gun-nuts checking this out might have beef about it lol.
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    First of all, Thank you guys for your design suggestions and knowledge you provided me with, it will greatly help me on my further gun projects!
    As I said before, the design is not mine.
    Long story short, the original designer wasn't up to the task and couldn't complete the job properly, so I had to step in and redo everything completely. Still, the design credit goes to Vitali Ivanov (so don't grill me if design sucks, not my prob).
    I got the job with direct orders: "Do exact same thing, but better; No design changes".
    The design of the pistol is very 2003. As in 'we designed it to be blocky to save polygons'.
    Thank you for the design suggestion. Again, not my design and just putting this out there:
    l.aspx?k=1000248
    Does that not look blocky?

KartoonHead - Good spotting! I'm thinking the slide lock can also be internal ;)
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    I quite like the blockyness, myself. Very Deus Ex.
  • ES_139
    Glocks arnt that blocky, there are a lot of large chamfers on Glocks i.e the frame and the slide which catch the light. The edges on this design are all hard, the only area that is an exception is the back of the grip. Thats possibly why people are saying they see quite a blocky model but as you say you couldn't change the design so id say you done a pretty good job, looks like a clean bake.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    I really like the improvement, think it would suit a not so far into the futuristic fps game. But i agree with Rex, maybe get some colour definition going on, although i really do like it as it is.
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    I was very inspired by Orb's shotgun and tried to achieve the same quality. I've tried playing with colour schemes, unfortunately I could not find one that works, and returned to the original one. If you could think of an awesome theme that would be great :)
    Anyways, I boosted edge specs and added a bit of wear to the gun. No mess like before, just clear to the point.
    Pistol5.jpg
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Well if no one will object, I'm going to wrap it up and move on to other projects :P
    Pistol1_L.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    looks nice man, good lighting :D
  • RexM
    Hmm.. seems like the color of the brass is off? A lack of any engraving on the base of the rounds in the magazine is odd too.

Still needs dots or something for a sight picture..

Cases: http://www.reviewsofthings.com/images/fired_9mm_primers_in_cases.jpg

Ideas for sights: http://theshootingedge.com/store/images/product_images/2612.jpg
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Rex,

Yeah I thought of fiber optic iron sights, but did not wish to add an extra texture sample for something so minor :P

As for the bullets, yes they seem a bit light yellow (most likely due to lighting), however not all cases have serial stamps on them. That being said, its cool to have stamps on rounds, and I'll definitely add some on my next project! Good spotting!
    9mmheadstamps.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oo, nice gun, nice and clean, pretty render too! :)
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Not feeling the metal man. :/ It is sitting somewhere between a polished concrete and metal. Bringing up the glossiness could help and maybe some more scratches and details in the spec map. Overall pretty nice. And you could tweak on projects forever. Sometimes it is just best to move on and apply the knowledge to a new project. :) Keep up the good work.