Home General Discussion

Metal Gear Solid 5

Hideo's confirmed it:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a351525/metal-gear-solid-5-confirmed-by-creator-hideo-kojima.html

WOP! Still have my PS1 specifically to play MGS1 and the others, best franchise ^^

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    No snake = no dice.

sorry, for all the gameplay improvements that mgs2 brought, i hated not playing as snake.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    No snake = no dice.

sorry, for all the gameplay improvements that mgs2 brought, i hated not playing as snake.

Don't think anything like that's been confirmed...

I think 5 was actually teased ages ago, there was a cryptic website with Big Boss' image (much like the one in the link) and a '5' that would flash up with lightning in the background about a minute in... speculation was that that eventually became that last PSP MGS game Peace Walker but maybe not, maybe this has been in production for quite a long time already.

Can't wait to be horribly dissapointed next E3!:thumbup: The MGS series has gone down the shitter chronologically for me, I didn't mind the blonde twit that much, really liked MGS2 actually, 3 was just another shooter... and the bosses were 300% more ridiculous than in Sons of Liberty.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and Kojima needs to get slapped everytime he says 'This is the last Metal Gear game'. Whether he says he's producing it personally or not.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Tenchi wrote: »
    Hideo's confirmed it:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a351525/metal-gear-solid-5-confirmed-by-creator-hideo-kojima.html

WOP! Still have my PS1 specifically to play MGS1 and the others, best franchise ^^

As excited as I am for this, I dont see where this is going
    Because Solid snake and big boss die in the end of, Guns of the Patriot

Unless this is Solid Snake's some dug up past they are working on, or we consider the Japanese Anime history of anime series and video game series, and conclude that they do not make sense at all, but we buy them regardless and make some assumed sense out of it. This new part wouldnt make sense at all.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    solid snake doesn't die. i think you need to see the ending again.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    mgs 5 will be a Bigboss story. It just has to be.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Needles wrote: »
    mgs 5 will be a Bigboss story. It just has to be.

Isn't that what MGS3 and MGS Peace Walker is all about? :)

I'm honestly really looking forward to the next MGS with Raiden.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalker I think you played a different game. :P

Maybe its going to be a like a buddy movie with the two of them! :D
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Oooooo nice. Love me some metal gear!
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    As excited as I am for this, I dont see where this is going
    Because Solid snake and big boss die in the end of, Guns of the Patriot

Unless this is Solid Snake's some dug up past they are working on, or we consider the Japanese Anime history of anime series and video game series, and conclude that they do not make sense at all, but we buy them regardless and make some assumed sense out of it. This new part wouldnt make sense at all.

The end of MGS4 is completely irrelevant anyways. 3 comes before both 1 and 2.

I guess lots of people aren't going to agree with this but 3 was my favorite. More BigBoss would be seriously welcome to me. Raiden would be fine even. It's all about the gameplay after 4 pretty much ruined the entire story premise for me. Still, I dislike it less now than I did when I first finished the game.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The end of MGS4 is completely irrelevant anyways.

Why?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Nitewalker I think you played a different game. :P

Maybe its going to be a like a buddy movie with the two of them! :D

What the fuck is wrong with you guys. Yes you are right! Metal Gear solid that I played was really lame in explaining the nano machines that are making snake older and close to dead.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJy5lG0vME&feature=bf_prev&list=PL29A3CD9C5BEEE997&lf=rellist"]MGS4 Cutscenes -Act 2 Part 4- Naomi {Pt1} - YouTube[/ame]

Ending:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZHigzaadY&feature=fvwrel"]Metal gear solid 4 ending part 1/3 - YouTube[/ame]

And the conclusion was, snake's number was up soon as well.

Ahh, that was indeed a very different fuckin game was it. :D

Good one Andreas. If I didnt know about the game I wouldnt be posting in the thread relative to it now would I.

The end of MGS4 is completely irrelevant anyways. 3 comes before both 1 and 2.

I guess lots of people aren't going to agree with this but 3 was my favorite. More BigBoss would be seriously welcome to me. Raiden would be fine even. It's all about the gameplay after 4 pretty much ruined the entire story premise for me. Still, I dislike it less now than I did when I first finished the game.

Metal gear solid 1 and Sons of liberty was pretty straight forward and made clear sense in terms of continuing the series.
    MGS: Snake Eater; really was a nice one in the series and it was about Solid Snake's past, thats why it makes sense if you put it before 1 and 2.

I really liked the psp edition of MGS, portable OPS. You can turn the people on your side until the end. This part of MGS was never actually related to any other parts of MGS but it was fun. :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good one Andreas. If I didnt know about the game I wouldnt be posting in the thread relative to it now would I.

Read the text in your spoiler tags :P
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read the text in your spoiler tags :P

:)
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Hope the plot doesn't go full retard on this one as well.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Please, Kojima. Stop. I can't keep trying to make sense of your story.

I just have a tough time appreciating their style of story telling.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Eh, as long as it's on a system I own, I'm in :P I've enjoyed all of them a fair bit, so what the heck, it'll hopefully be good!

Although imo, the gameplay in MGS1 was the best (especially the bosses).
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    as long as Raiden is not the main character... that guy has issues.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i knew it konami will never let kojima do other games hahaha. ie ZOE3
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    MGS: Snake Eater; really was a nice one in the series and it was about Solid Snake's past, thats why it makes sense if you put it before 1 and 2.

Big Boss', you mean.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Sure, I always love a new MGS but for gods sake, "Hideo Kojima doesn't have to make another metal gear" had no effect?

What about the ZOE series.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Your conclusion ;)

We'll have to see though. Personally I'm hoping Meryl is the lead. Not scarily butch MGS4 Meryl, skinny sexy cute Meryl.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another one? I love the MGS-saga but I feel like Kojima is really pushing it too far. I wish he would come up with a new series instead of just complicating the plot further.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with nevertheless. A remake of MG1 and/or 2 perhaps, or a game set in WWII where you play as The Boss- complete with the Cobras and Nazi Metal Gears?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in it for the gameplay, at this point. If they somehow choose to drag on with Snake, so be it. I'd rather that, if they're moving ahead, they just make a new character. Raiden isn't that bad, IMO, and I don't think it'll be another Raiden game because that's what Rising will be. Maybe it will be some new Big Boss clone, or they'll move further back and do what Kevlar said, something WW2 era. I'd love to see the Metal Gear tech in a WW2 era, especially if you get to sneak around Nazi Germany and other type stuff.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I think MGS4 made it extremely clear why the ending was relevant to the main character, and may it continue. MGS4 was grest, slightly dated gameplay but extremely fun and involving.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your conclusion ;)

We'll have to see though. Personally I'm hoping Meryl is the lead. Not scarily butch MGS4 Meryl, skinny sexy cute Meryl.

Well, yes....

Why the fuck Japanese Anime industry and video game industry leave the conclusion hanging in the mid air so people can say whatever. :(

EDIT: Wait, what was your conclusion; that he survived a terrible illness that can not be cured. And Solid Snake lives for another MGS part of series? Just like any other popular anime character or game character from Japan always turn out to be? =\
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Edited Drunken rant >_>;
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, yes....

Why the fuck Japanese Anime industry and video game industry leave the conclusion hanging in the mid air so people can say whatever. :(

EDIT: Wait, what was your conclusion; that he survived a terrible illness that can not be cured. And Solid Snake lives for another MGS part of series? Just like any other popular anime character or game character from Japan always turn out to be? =\

Haha you got something against Japanese? Everyone from everywhere does this. Movies do this, literature does this, hell, have you finished MW3???? Why write yourself into a hole you don't want to be in 2 years down the line.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha you got something against Japanese? Everyone from everywhere does this. Movies do this, literature does this, hell, have you finished MW3???? Why write yourself into a hole you don't want to be in 2 years down the line.

I dont have problems with anyone. I am suddenly confused after our sweet discussion and I have to dig up my video game trash and play all of them over again. I dont play MW series.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I want to play as an adult Sunny, damnit
  • Tenchi
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually don't even like the guy anymore, Kojima is a knob. Wouldn't even credit him with that much, Metal Gear Solid 1 was amazing but was it all down to him? He just decided to make a really good stealth-em-up, the trolling he has done in the subsequent years tarnish the good he's done...
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Metal Gear Solid 3 was amazing, don't know whatchoo talkin about
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I actually don't even like the guy anymore, Kojima is a knob. Wouldn't even credit him with that much, Metal Gear Solid 1 was amazing but was it all down to him? He just decided to make a really good stealth-em-up, the trolling he has done in the subsequent years tarnish the good he's done...

Well, he did push for his idea for the original metal gear, which was pretty ground-breaking for its time.
    I recommend these if you haven't seen them already;
    http://www.gametrailers.com/game/metal-gear-retrospective/6748
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Also, metal gear solid 2, 3, and 4 are pretty much landmarks for narrarative games.

You can disagree with his taste for melodrama, but the quality and power of the man's work is pretty indisputable.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    landmarks for narrarative.

I have to completely disagree with your post I'm afraid. He can certainly type and type and type and call it a script, but it's just drivel. And he's completely aware of it as well. If it was 10 hours of an amazingly well scripted set-piece packed narrative, far less people would be complaining.

David Fincher, he is not.

Washed my hands of him when he put 6 HOURS of UNCOMPRESSED RADIO STATIC on the MGS4 disk, which plays ONLY before and after a codec conversation. That's not being a mad genius, that's being a tosspot.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    [HP] wrote: »
    Isn't that what MGS3 and MGS Peace Walker is all about? :)

I'm honestly really looking forward to the next MGS with Raiden.

Heck yes me too! Snake is old news. (bwhaa Old :))
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, MG3 was rocking, MG2 relegating Snake to a cameo role was BS, although ironically I am now looking forward to playing Raiden again in Rising...
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    SupRore wrote: »
    Also, metal gear solid 2, 3, and 4 are pretty much landmarks for narrarative games.

You can disagree with his taste for melodrama, but the quality and power of the man's work is pretty indisputable.

I think that for the most part his dialogue comes off as the unedited ramblings of a first-year philosophy and politics student. I find the constant stop-start between gameplay and cutscenes to be really jarring too. But hey, he is probably the closest thing to an auteur in games and I know a lot of people love the games he makes. I just find myself enjoying them in spite of themselves.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that for the most part his dialogue comes off as the unedited ramblings of a first-year philosophy and politics student.

You are far more eloquent a fellow than I, thanks, that's spot on. :thumbup:
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    For me, the MGS series stopped at 3. The third game was unbelievably good.

The fourth had a few bits of game dotted around a badly written, well designed movie, rendered in realtime - A "game" that almost let me have some fun before it unleashed another damn machinima episode onto me.

If they can make a game that looks like MGS4, and plays like MGS3, it'll be absolutely golden. But, the risk is that Kojima-san will have disappeared up his own arse by the time it's released.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I totally loved 4, but here's my plot summary: Nanomachines.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my biggest problem with MGS4, is also one of the things i enjoyed about it.

it was almost pure fan service... he found a way to include all of the "favorites", vamp, naomi, big boss, etc. he found a way to take everyone back to shadow moses and even to drive REX.

that's all cool, and as a fan of MGS i found it awesome. but it was also bloody frustrating as it didn't really make MGS4 stand out as anything but "ooo pretty".
  • Saman
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    If they can make a game that looks like MGS4, and plays like MGS3, it'll be absolutely golden. But, the risk is that Kojima-san will have disappeared up his own arse by the time it's released.

I found Peace Walker to be extremely light-weight and refreshing. Unlike MGS4, it was all about gameplay with cutscenes being replaced with comic strips in Yoji Shinkawa's style. It's a really great game; and it's funny as hell too.

That said, I don't want any more Metal Gear games. I love them regardless of how stupid the plot is (to some extent, that's what always made it so enjoyable) but I don't think there's anything new they can do with the franchise. I would rather have Kojima do something completely different. He's definitely a talented designer a judging by how revolutionary MGS1 was, I think he can still surprise us. But for god's sake, give him a small budget.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    aw ... it just a rumor :(, i think we have to accept it, the story is finished.

they need to get work on ZOE and other kojima title.
  • Tenchi
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I'd really enjoy a MGS1 rehaul. Keep the story intact but freshen the play space up a bit. That's probly just a pipe dream though.

If that screenie is real it looks to be a prequel no?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah its big boss, the logo is from Militaires Sans Fronti