Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RPG-7

Dismembered
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
So this is my first attempt at modeling a weapon. I used a few different references. And because I could find a set of references showing all of the parts good I pieced them together a bit trying to make it look right. Here and here are the two main references I used, I had many others that I used as well.

I plan to do the rocket itself, but before I started on it I thought it might be a good idea to get feedback on the weapon itself.

Seeing as this is my first attempt at a weapon I am looking for any and all advice when it comes to the LP and textures. As far as its purpose, it is mainly to be a portfolio piece.

Thanks for taking a look.

RPG_HP.jpg

Replies

• razvanimation
    From what I can see right now it's mostly spot on. Great job. Some little issues that bother me are the middle visor thing that could be sharper on the edges and probably thicker. Also, if you're planing on going for the old rusty version of this, you could take the front piece and rotate it 2-5 degrees where it connects to the other part to show usage - like the first pic you are using as reference.
  • Dismembered
    Offline / Send Message
    @razvanimation - Thanks for the reply, and I think I address the area you were referring to being to skinny. I think am going to texture this as relatively new, but obviously used, if that makes any sense at all.

The rocket took me longer to get to then I wanted. I was able to finally able to start it today and put some time in to finish it.

Since I am new to weapons I asked around about poly count for this, but I am not sure that I made it clear that I was intending to do the rocket as well. I was told a tri count of about 10k would be good for the gun itself, I am assuming 15k is a better budget for the gun and rocket?

Unless there are any major issues that someone points out I plan to start the LP tomorrow, wish me luck!

As always open to crits.

RPG_HP2.jpg
  • Dismembered
    Offline / Send Message
    So I realized, after I posted, this that I forgot show the pins on the stabilizer tail of the rocket. That's what I get for modeling while I am tired. :)
  • Dismembered
    Offline / Send Message
    I planned to update this thread a lot sooner, but life decided to get in my way and slow me down. Here is the Normal/AO bake. Sitting just over 10.5k tris (that is for the gun and the rocket combined). Textures incoming.

Let me know what you think.

LP_AO-Norm.jpg
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    The bake turned out pretty good, would love to see some wires of the low poly though.
  • Dismembered
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is some texture work and the wires as requested. I didn't want to go to crazy with the wear-n-tear, so I tried to keep it minimal. But I am still open to suggestions and crits. The texture isn't finalized, this is just the first pass. I plan to do a bit more work to it, but I thought I would throw it out to the community to see what everyone thought.

Wires.jpg

Texture.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    It looks pretty good, what size is your textures?