• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    And I like turtles.
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can't help but feel like this is kind of attention whore-y.
    3702k.jpg
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    oh, noes! a real game artist?! I gotta go call my mumm!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Guys, relax. He's proud to have worked on to major releases that are out at the same time. I'd be wanting to show that off a bit too. It's pretty cool to be able to say that right now. You guys may not appreciate that fact, but the gaming community obviously finds it pretty cool.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I'm sorry, I'm actually really happy for the guy, and bethesda are very nice to include him in the credits. I just failed to see a point a making a thread about it and couldn't resist a little sarcasm.
    The guy should come to polycount and make a thread about it - I'd gladly congratulate him)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It could also be that he's a complete narcissist and is looking for attention. I don't know, I just know I'd be pretty proud of that little accomplishment.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    NINJA ADMIN EDIT: Time to simmer, old fart.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Jesus what the fuck is Polycount turning into?

People who can't take lighthearted humor apparently.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People who can't take lighthearted humor apparently.

It's not about the light hearted humor but more of a growing trend of asshatery happening all over the place.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Jesse, you're in need of a tea man, go pour yourself one. I'm surprised that you're surprised that you're witnessing trolling on the interwebs!

In fact, I have to admit that at first I thought this thread was about a guy that isn't an artist at all, he was just a random troll craving for attention. I guess he isn't?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Jesse, you're in need of a tea man, go pour yourself one. I'm surprised that you're surprised that you're witnessing trolling on the interwebs!

In fact, I have to admit that at first I thought this thread was about a guy that isn't an artist at all, he was just a random troll craving for attention. I guess he isn't?

No I'm good just getting tired of the bullshit that has started to flock to this forum and I'm old and grumpy.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    So anyway, where's his folio?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    So anyway, where's his folio?

http://www.sharp3d.net/
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    meh, I don't blame the guy. He reminds me a lot of me when I first got into this niz. I got an "additional development" cred in a game because the studio needed me to switch teams for a few weeks to help polish on another project. I was SO STOKED! It was hard enough trying to stay humble and not post shit ALL OVER my FB and all. Grats to the guy. More of what makes this industry so great.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I think people who arnt proud of the work they do are dumb.

This guy has every right to be stoked about getting to work on two major titles. I dont care if what you worked on was some shity iphone game or the biggest tripple A title. You should always be proud of the work you are doing, and if your not, then your doing something wrong. Dosnt matter if its your first game or your 50th, take pride in what you do!

I say congratz and post away :)
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    This guy went to the same school as me, the previous year, and I met him at GDC last year. He's a cool guy and obviously excited.

From what he told me, he was excited as hell to get a job at Bethesda worked there for a bit and they happened to be ramping down, but got good recommendations from folks at Bethesda and got the job at Sledgehammer.

I rather a story like this where someone gets put on the credits, instead of being left off of them.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I am happy for this guy and that is awesome. Making cool games is awesome, let's all make cool games and be cool game bros.

You don't become a better person if he looks worse.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    yeah that's pretty sick.
    don't really like how is folio has close ups of characters he obviously didn't do with no credit to the original artist. but the work is great.
    I was really proud tosee my name on the credits for Forza 3, but since then it doesn't really matter what games I've got credit on, but weather or not my work was well received
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    good on him.

But most large studios have a strict PR policy of not talking in public about your role on the game like this.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    It's not about the light hearted humor but more of a growing trend of asshatery happening all over the place.

That's exactly what I thought when I read the original post, Jesse. Sorry, didn't mean to piss you off, but the purpose of this thread still eludes me. I am happy for the guy and I don't mind him posting about his achievement on the internet, but it's not him who shares his joy with us, nor does are there any kind of breakdowns or useful materials. It's like Helder would update his resume with Crysis 2 and I would make a thread about it.

Also, Anthony, while I see where you point is coming from I would humbly admit that being able to take pride in your work is much more of a privilege than anything. There are uncountable polycounters here who have to do art for crappy projects just to put food on their tables. Though, undeniably, this privilege is generally earned I think it's still pretty unfair to call people dumb, just because they live in places with nonexistent industries and have to provide for their families, for example.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    good on him.

But most large studios have a strict PR policy of not talking in public about your role on the game like this.

Usually so other studios don't poach talent. Why a lot of places don't label people as lead/senior/etc in credits...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    d1ver wrote: »
    Also, Anthony, while I see where you point is coming from I would humbly admit that being able to take pride in your work is much more of a privilege than anything. There are uncountable polycounters here who have to do art for crappy projects just to put food on their tables. Though, undeniably, this privilege is generally earned I think it's still pretty unfair to call people dumb, just because they live in places with nonexistent industries and have to provide for their families, for example.

I think you might have missed the point I was making in my post. I never said you have to work at some big studio on some big project to take pride in your work. Taking pride in your work isnt a privilege. You make it sound as if people who are working on less desirable projects to try and get a better job, its all they can get, or to provide for there family shouldn't taken pride in the work they do. That couldn't be further from the truth.

They absolutely should take pride in there work. They are doing what they love, they are trying to improve the skills, they are providing for there family. These are all reasons to feel pride in what you do. Not to mention extremely admirable.

Working on some big title such as Skyrim or MW3 can be a privileged, but anyone, no matter the project can feel pride in what they do and really should.

I will agree this thread is kinda silly that it was someone else just posting about some guy happy about working on the games, but it seems people were hating on the guy just for being proud about getting to do what he loves on 2 projects he is really stoked about.

To not take pride in what you do just because its not "super awesome magically totally cool triple A title" is indeed dumb in my opinion. There is no reason not to take pride in what you do.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly what Anthony said. I have worked on AAA titles to mobile and wii level stuff. At the end of the day I try to make sure I made the best looking art I was capable of making and am proud of my work.

With hit titles like Singularity, Game Part 2 and Top Shot Arcade for the Wii I would be all over the web, media, billboards if I got a chance to work on a game like MW3 or Skyrim.

So be warned....
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Singularity was good man!!?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Jesse and Anthony, while I see your point I still can't agree completely.
    There are different kinds of being proud and how vocal you are about it. And bringing your A game, being a must all the time, doesn't necessarily oblige you to be proud. It also very much depends on what you want out of what you do. For some it's having been mentioned in the credits, for others it's working on the project throughout it's development or having actually done something awesome on that project, contributed some great ideas, working on some specific projects or maybe even something else.

While I agree that there's nothing wrong in taking pride in what you do, I'd still be careful about throwing the word "dumb" around. I hardly think pride alone is worth calling people dumb. Actually I don't think pride is worth much at all and I can't think how being vocal about it can be of any real use to anyone, but I fully respect anyone's desire to do so.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    I think people who arnt proud of the work they do are dumb.

This guy has every right to be stoked about getting to work on two major titles. I dont care if what you worked on was some shity iphone game or the biggest tripple A title. You should always be proud of the work you are doing, and if your not, then your doing something wrong. Dosnt matter if its your first game or your 50th, take pride in what you do!

I say congratz and post away :)

Well said, Most of the games I've worked on no one has ever heard of, but I've always been proud of the work I've done in each of them.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edit: nope, I was wrong. still, nothing wrong with this, he's proud for having worked on cool games. Who can blame him for that?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ES_139 wrote: »
    Singularity was good man!!?

Well thanks man. Just a shame more people didn't think so or even try it.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I currently work on comics and because i'm working to someone elses demands and vision of what HE likes its not really something I end up being that happy with at times. So my extension of that ... no, im not really proud of it so i dont post it anywhere. Thats not to say I dont do all I can under those constraints though and to me theres a difference between doing the best you can and being proud of your work.

And to piss more people off, If i was to produce good art for a bad game... well, i might as well get into illustration as thats not the point. (not pointing fingers at any games, just a rule I have for myself... which will probably end up burning me)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting to see how you guys react to a non-polycount member doing something like this.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if someone doesn't like something they are hating, if someone has an opinion different to someone elses they are 'trolling'.
    Bored of interwebs now.

^original jpeg btw :icon15:
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    my god, he's successful, and happy about it... HOW DARE HE.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a great PR strategy for self Pimping I commend him. Look at all of you people going to his website and talking about him. Dudes got it made for his next 2 back to back titles I am sure now. Keep up the good work over here at the water cooler guys. Be sure to restock the cups.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    OK, I'm confused what this thread is about, I lost track. Seriously, what is going on?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    d1ver wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I'm actually really happy for the guy, and bethesda are very nice to include him in the credits. I just failed to see a point a making a thread about it

Sure we have at least one 'I got a job' thread a week in GD. Everyone's looking for the pat on the ass. Daddy didn't hug them enough I guess.

Fair play to him for being a successful hard-working dude though.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    Fair play to him for being a successful hard-working dude though.

lol? :poly118:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • sWIRLEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sWIRLEE polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys!

Soooooo... I'm the guy who posted that link on Reddit. I have a tracker installed on my site and noticed this traffic from Polycount. My first reaction as soon as I followed the link and saw that very shirtless picture of myself was to have a mini heart attack, close down my browser immediately and run to the bathroom to start reading the hate in private on my phone.

I was pretty relieved to see most of you guys defending my actions. If I had even an inkling of an idea that I would end up on the front page of Reddit or the front page of the gaming section for that matter, I don't think I would have posted it. I have a bunch of close friends that are devout redditors and they convinced me that it was an accomplishment worthy of showing beyond my private circles.

Anyways... thanks most of you for not hating me. :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I don't hate you. I think if you do good work, you have every right to share the awesomeness with the world. Can't wait to see you put more stuff on your portfolio!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hah! They did the same thing to me when I posted a crit once. Replied with a picture of me with my shirt off. This is kinda like a gay dating site.
  • sWIRLEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know! I've spent the last hour trying to figure out how they found that picture. The only place I know it to exist is on Facebook and I was under the impression that I have everything set to private! Weird oh well...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    This is kinda like a gay dating site.

Very much so.

Welcome to Polycount. Come for the art. Stay for the Cock Tanks. :)
  • sWIRLEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude!

I've actually been a member for quite awhile, but usually just come to checkout whats new.

Speaking of new, here is the result of the last art test I took to get my latest job. Good time and place as any to post right? :)

http://sharp3d.net/superbot.html
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so you don't stay around a long time huh? mainly contract positions?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    That grass is awesome!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'd be excited as hell to have my name in two of the biggest titles, that came out in the same week. Very justified attention whoring imho!
  • sWIRLEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Jesse - Well almost all my work has been as a contractor, but it was pretty assured that if I stuck around Bethesda for a year I would become full time. Honestly I loved the studio, everyone there and obviously the game, but hated the area Moving from Florida to Maryland in the middle of winter was no fun. I had already interviewed with Sledgehammer and 4 months into working at Bethesda, they made me a pretty badass offer for a year contract. I figured yeah I am leaving behind what would probably be a sure thing, but I would have Skyrim and MW3 on my resume a year later.

@Erich - Thanks dude! I only had a week for this and it was during crunch at Sledgehammer... I surprised even myself with the results haha...

I am still really curious how that one dude found that picture on the front page?!?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Welcome to Polycount man, checked your porfolio! Great stuff! Can't wait to see the stuff you've done on Skyrim and MW3! Working for Bethesda would be a dream come true, but then again being behind the scenes with my favorite game-series would probably ruin it for me ^^
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    sWIRLEE wrote: »
    I am still really curious how that one dude found that picture on the front page?!?

The internet is a really freakin small place. :D
    I suppose just searching your name could turn it up?