Home General Discussion

MW3 + Skyrim Artist talks on Reddit

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    sWIRLEE wrote: »
    @ Jesse - Well almost all my work has been as a contractor, but it was pretty assured that if I stuck around Bethesda for a year I would become full time. Honestly I loved the studio, everyone there and obviously the game, but hated the area Moving from Florida to Maryland in the middle of winter was no fun. I had already interviewed with Sledgehammer and 4 months into working at Bethesda, they made me a pretty badass offer for a year contract. I figured yeah I am leaving behind what would probably be a sure thing, but I would have Skyrim and MW3 on my resume a year later.

@Erich - Thanks dude! I only had a week for this and it was during crunch at Sledgehammer... I surprised even myself with the results haha...

I am still really curious how that one dude found that picture on the front page?!?
    not to be a negative nancy but Im pretty sure 4 months at a studio isnt going to do much for your resume.
    that's what I've heard from a few hiring managers and some Leads but you've obviously got enough shipped titles and connections to be able to choose where you go.
    Nice job!
  • sWIRLEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sWIRLEE polycounter lvl 18
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    not to be a negative nancy but Im pretty sure 4 months at a studio isnt going to do much for your resume.
    that's what I've heard from a few hiring managers and some Leads but you've obviously got enough shipped titles and connections to be able to choose where you go.
    Nice job!

Sort of Agree! But you can't deny the fact that Bethesda putting my name in the credits in any capacity is a sign that even they think I'm worthy of the credit. So surely hiring managers would agree and of course have! Besides, there are tons of contracts out there lasting only 2-3 months(or less) and I'm sure those individuals get credit and use it on their resume's. I know for a fact that a lot of games in pre-production use outside concept artists to create one or two pieces to get the ball rolling before an internal team is hired and some of those guys are able to bang out photo-real rendering in hours, yet their name is in the credits. Craig Mullins for example. :D
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swirlee, good for you man on getting these gigs and being proud of it. I went through a long while where I couldn't even get a job printing funeral ceremony pamphlets (which literally a monkey could have done which was why I was so gutted) those were tough times so if I got a gig like this I would be yelling it from the roof tops.

great work and good lucky buddy.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    sWIRLEE wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Soooooo... I'm the guy who posted that link on Reddit. I have a tracker installed on my site and noticed this traffic from Polycount. My first reaction as soon as I followed the link and saw that very shirtless picture of myself was to have a mini heart attack, close down my browser immediately and run to the bathroom to start reading the hate in private on my phone.

I was pretty relieved to see most of you guys defending my actions. If I had even an inkling of an idea that I would end up on the front page of Reddit or the front page of the gaming section for that matter, I don't think I would have posted it. I have a bunch of close friends that are devout redditors and they convinced me that it was an accomplishment worthy of showing beyond my private circles.

Anyways... thanks most of you for not hating me. :)

Keep yer shirt on har har.

Also, Equil if you went digging around his facebook for incriminating photographs, extremely bad form.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad OP came in here. Congrats on the ... picture?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Looking forward to seeing the work you did on the titles man :)
  • sWIRLEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sWIRLEE polycounter lvl 18
    Glad OP came in here. Congrats on the ... picture?

Yeah still weirded out by that... That pic is farely old and buried within my tagged photos on FB and my profile is privated, so there should be no way for someone to get to that, whose not on my friends list.

Andreas - Sure thing man... I plan on updating it as soon as possible, but that may not be for weeks as i'm working pretty long hours lately and want to roll out a new site design along with the update.