Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• Rilem
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    That is truly amazing renderhjs. I'm sure there's loads of people that would pay cold hard cash for that! :P
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Worked on a tile detection algorithm to detect the grids of tiles and eventually later rip the tile sets of screenshots, mockup bitmaps.
    grid_detection.jpg
    It loops through possible offsets of the tile and compares each tile with others and count their matches and the amount of unique tile sets. The possibility with the best values is picked and surprisingly its pretty much always how the tile set was set up originally.

Right now I can grab bitmaps from my clipboard so copy something within Photoshop or from my browser or xnView, execute the tool and it detects the grid.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Dude that is FANTASTIC. I could use that!
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Step 2:
    displayed the unique tiles next to the image and color coded the tiles in the source bitmap.

grid_detection2.gif

its not so fast right now so I am going to optimize the code with more caching and more clever mechanics to avoid loops and calculations. Eventually add a mechanic where it computes area by area with a progress bar - so that at some point I can parse a whole level and also save out a Tiled map structure. Like this nice test picture:
    http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/BionicCommando-Area01-Exterior.png
  • raphick
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Stupid shader fun :P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejKzKlM9vwk"]Animated Monitor Sweep through realtime shader in Maya - YouTube[/ame]
  • RappyBMX
    Hi guys, working on a new interface for my script ^_^ ... trying to make something simple/minimal...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZPGMmhHjw"]miniRappaTools3UI experiment ! - YouTube[/ame]
  • mLichy
    I've Updated my turboTools download, and this is a new tool I've made that's been added.

It collects the bitmaps in the scene, and lets u see which Objects/Materials use those bitmaps.

bitmapUsage.jpg

bitUsage.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Heya mLichy! Nice lookin' toolset!

I tried using your bitmap auditor thingy, but it crashes max hard every time I hit "refresh".

Max 2012 -64bit on Windows 7.
  • mLichy
    Hey,

Yeah, I just noticed that too... so I've recompiled some stuff and updated my website with downloads just for Max 2012.

If you don;t mind, try downloading that, un-install/re-install and let me know if it works please :) It should work fine now.... I hope!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Nope! Same phenomena. uninstalled, restarted max, reinstalled, ran, refresh, crash.
  • mLichy
    hmm..... If you go to

C:\Users\YOUR COMPUTER NAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2012 - 64bit\enu\scripts\turboTools

Does the turboTools.BitmapCollector.dll say it was from todays date?

Edit: Also, if you had opened the tool in max and tried to uninstall after that without restarting max, it didnt delete it probably. So make sure to try and uninstall from a fresh max scene otherwise, then reinstall.
  • karnak
    Offline / Send Message
    karnak polycounter lvl 11
    I want to show you the main features of my custom layer manager for 3ds max. Click the image to jump to the video.

nodeboxlogo.png
  • mLichy
    Very cool karnak. Is there a download available?
  • Michael Knubben
    Those rappatools look great! So is this getting ready for release? I'd love to give it a go, looks like it could be very useful.
  • RappyBMX
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Those rappatools look great! So is this getting ready for release? I'd love to give it a go, looks like it could be very useful.

the new interface it's still under development, also when i'ts done there should be a trial version also ^_^
  • karnak
    Offline / Send Message
    mLichy wrote: »
    Very cool karnak. Is there a download available?

Thanks.
    No, it is too early for that.
    However, if there will be news in that direction I will write something somewhere (like here for instace)! :)
  • X-Ray-Jin
    karnak wrote: »
    Thanks.
    No, it is too early for that.
    However, if there will be news in that direction I will write something somewhere (like here for instace)! :)

hi karnak,
    ur new script seems to be what we need in our workflow and so i was asked to start scripting something like that. the older version of the script theOnion is not working on 64bit systems and the newest version seems to have some bugs.

After searching a little i found this post on max underground:
    http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/14954_nodebox.html

where it says there wont be a public release for ur script.
    as i just started on that project and ur script seems to be much further in progress we think about stopping that and concentrate on other things.

so my question is will there be any public release in the future (maybe u can name a date when u nearly expect it to be finished; a few months or rather years?) or will u give it to people asking for it. and if u do will it be free for usage in our company with of course commercial interests.

as u might assume we do not want to do work thats already done, if not necessary.

no matter what ur script looks really good so far. nice functionality and usability and of course a nice look.

greetz X-Ray-Jin
  • mLichy
    I've almost gone done a new Object Placer Tool I made in C# and Maxscript :)

objectPlacer.jpg

objectPlacer_4.jpg
  • karnak
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Ray-Jin wrote: »
    [..]
    so my question is will there be any public release in the future (maybe u can name a date when u nearly expect it to be finished; a few months or rather years?) or will u give it to people asking for it. and if u do will it be free for usage in our company with of course commercial interests.
    [..]

Hi X-Ray-Jin,
    sorry for not answering sooner and thanks for your appreciation, I'm really glad that your studio is considering my layer manager.

Regarding the possibility of future public release, I'm sorry but at the moment there is no intention of doing so and I can't say if the situation will be different in two months rather than six or a year.

By the way, can I ask the studio name?
  • mLichy
    Made a Video showing how most everything works.

http://matthewlichy.com/Object_Placer/Object_Placer.html

Some Images:

object_Max2012.jpg
    object_Max2012_2.jpg
  • Nysuatro
    Looks very nice :) Are you disabling your viewport when modifying the settings in your tool? It could maybe speed up the realtime preview of your tool.
  • mLichy
    No Im not, but I thought about it. I've done it before in other tools. Right now its quite fast, in Max 2012 at least. Max 2010 its not bad though either. I disabled Undo to help with memory/perf, but I could do the disable/enable redraw as well for the hell of it.

Thanks :D Oh, and since this screenshot, I added a Random Point option besides Vert/Edge/Face. So it will try to evenly drop objects on a mesh and not be locked into the vert/edges/ect.
  • Nysuatro
    If you need a tester let me know :)
  • mLichy
    Here was a quick forest test. You could get more randomization/control if u wanted. I just did it really quickly, not doing sub-object selections or multiple passes. All was done in 1 pass setting up some random properties quickly.

forest_Test.jpg

More Tests for fun :)

forest_Test2.jpg

lulz2.jpg

forestTest3.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Awesome! Looks like a great toolset in the making.
  • mLichy
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Damnit mLichy, i've been working on a tool that pretty much does exactly what yours does! BLAST!
  • mLichy
    Ha, ya. So many tools out there now. I did some searches and didn't find this type of tool, so I made one. Also I wanted to learn more about transform stuff and make the tool how I wanted.
  • mLichy
    Another Tool I've been working on. U can add/remove "Tools" to the UI and drag/drop into your scene as u need them.

I've made some changes/improvements since this video.
    http://matthewlichy.com/toolbox/toolbox.html

toolbox_1.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    This could really come in handy for people using 3dsmax as an level editor, at first i wanted to write my own, but with this i could probably change plans and just write an exporter :)
  • Chai
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    I wrote a modified automatic Refresh Textures script for Maya.
    Instead of refreshing all textures lagging the whole thing, it only refreshes the changed.

Check it out - refreshTextures (creative crash)
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    funny how some of us write scripts that should already be in max or maya
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Chai wrote: »
    I wrote a modified automatic Refresh Textures script for Maya.
    Instead of refreshing all textures lagging the whole thing, it only refreshes the changed.

Check it out - refreshTextures (creative crash)

Was working on something similar though more of a crossover between photoshop and Maya. Nice stuff Chai!
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    mrLichy - The tool i'm working on is very similar to yours, but I am building my tool for layout/designers who would like to either do block layouts in max,or just use max as their level editor.

The premise of mine is simple enough: You define a blueprint mesh, and the tool will have several functions to grab data from that blueprint mesh, and use that data to position modular assets.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, althought it will have some much cooler functionality than that when it's all finished.
  • mLichy
    Nice. Sounds very interesting. Yeah, I built my tool to be versatile and be used for many things. Probably more so for env art, but also could be used for hard surface things like rivets or other details on a surface.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    mLichy wrote: »
    Another Tool I've been working on. U can add/remove "Tools" to the UI and drag/drop into your scene as u need them.

I've made some changes/improvements since this video.
    http://matthewlichy.com/toolbox/toolbox.html

toolbox_1.jpg

Ths is awesome! Question: can you un-favorite things? Another question: are the thumbs and all also there after restarting the script/max? so you save all that stuff in separate files?
  • mLichy
    SimonT wrote: »
    Ths is awesome! Question: can you un-favorite things? Another question: are the thumbs and all also there after restarting the script/max? so you save all that stuff in separate files?

Yes, when u click the Fav Icon, it Adds it to the Fav Section, if u click on the Icon again, either when your in the Fav Tab or the Tools Tab, if the tool exists in the Fav Tab, it is removed.

When u Add/Remove/Rename/Update tools, its all done automatically in the BG. By that I mean, all folders/files are taken care of for you. You can change out thumb images/rename the tool, update its maxfile via rightclick, and not worry otherwise.

When you close the toolbox UI, I have it auto ZIP all the folders for you to save space, and then it opens them later when u open the UI again.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    That sounds great! More question and some suggestions :D

? What's happen when 3Ds Max is crashing? The Auto-Zip wouldn't made then, right? Because i didn't closed the Toolbox manually.

? Why isn't this tool linked on your website :D

? Where are the files stored? When the lib gets big, maybe i wan't to change the save directory to a bigger partition

+ I think for bigger libs it could be cool to be able to load different libs. So that you have a big lib for "mechanical" and "organic" or something like that :D Also when one lib would be stored in one ZIP - we would be able to share our libs online - interesting i think! There is only the question about the performance when the lib contains 500+ objects ..

+ I guess it would be cool if the tool names where taken from the object names automatically :D
  • mLichy
    Hm... Very good questions/ suggestions.

1. Yes, this would cause is to probably not zip. But when u load max the next time and close the UI, it zips them up. I don't think there is anyway to fix this really. Or at least, always zip them up before crashing.

2. Its not "Done" yet I guess, and I have 1-2 other new tools I've made that I've been finalizing. Also its kind of a pain to update my site/ 4 tool downloads and whatnot, so I only do it every 2-4 weeks.

3. The Files are stored in my turboTools folder, to keep everything together. I could let users spread stuff out, but then it gives a greater chance for error when trying to compress the files or load them in. But, if I let the user manually load in Libs, then they could be anywhere I suppose, and it should be fine.

4 . I did think about sharing, but I didn't think about it how u mentioned. It would be easy enough I think to setup seperate Libs of ZIPS for differen't Categories or whatever.

5. I thought about this, and I can still easily do it. The reason I didn't is because u can select multiple objects and save as 1 tool, so the name probably wouldn't be what u want. But I guess I could just choose one, and let the user rename like usual. A
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    turbotools ftw. looks like there's a lot of cool stuff coming up.
  • mLichy
    cptSwing wrote: »
    turbotools ftw. looks like there's a lot of cool stuff coming up.

Thank you :D

Ok, so I've added a Load button with a menu option to choose a Library Folder to Load. It then displays this name in the titlebar of the UI.

I'm not zipping files anymore currently, just because of possible lag time when loading alot of objects/compressing, and other issues.

I set it up to use Object Names when adding, if you are adding a group Object, it uses the Group Name.

When you create a new Library (Folder) you cannot rename the folder right now, as all the tools will not merge into Max properly then. I could make a rename option possibly. I'd have to collect all folders in the renamed folder and go through a .ms file, then search for the old folder name and replace those characters with the new ones and resave the .ms files. So I'm not sure how fast/slow this would be with alot of tools.

Edit: Ok, so I have the rename almost done actually. It wasnt that bad at all. I just need to get the Favs.ini to update properly, and all is good.
  • mLichy
    Here's how it looks now, not alot different.

toolbox_3.jpg
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I'll check this out today hopefully. Another suggstion: for using this massively maybe a "List" view would be also usefuL: no thumbs, just the names. only a detail, the tool looks really great right now!
  • mLichy
    Yeah, I can look into a List View. Should be easy enough to do I think. Although idk if/how Drag Drop might work.
  • mLichy
    Added the list view. I tried to make it so u could drag/drop using the buttons on the left in the column, but it wont let me. So right now when u click those, it selects the corresponding thumb in the tools tab.

toolbox43.jpg

Edit: I just realized this morning how I could get the Object to Merge in when clicking those buttons, so now it merges it in, and also selects it in the thumb view.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    oh hm...is there a download link to download your tool?
  • mLichy
    Not yet. I might get a new update out soon. I just fixed some other issues in my SuperGlue script today too.

Edit: Eh, I decided to suck it up and do it. Should be all up to date/ ready to download on my site. Let me know if it doesnt install right or somethings not working right.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/turbotools-making-your-workflow-that-much-faster
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Great Thanks! But i get this when i try to add my Box to the tool lib. I'm admin so there should be no problem with the permissions.

turboTools - Toobox
    Please Choose a Valid Library First, or Create one.
    OK
  • mLichy
    Yeah, I did that on purpose. You have to go to the Spinning Arrows Icon and Choose a folder / Library first. Otherwise where would it save the objects to ? :)