Home Technical Talk

Normal Mapping pixelated

Hi everyone I have viewed polycount for a long time and recently joined, I need help with a normal mapping problem I've run into.

I was following this tutorial
http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/43-tutorial-introduction-normal-mapping.html

and i've seemed to follow all the steps correctly but my normal map applied comes out pixelated like this:
pic5o.jpg

^ is what it looks like in photoshop. When i render it though it looks fine in the render window
previewb.jpg

here is what it looks like applied:
unled4gd.jpg

and here are my settings:
pic4n.jpg

pic3xm.jpg

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it, it's probably something simple that I'm missing /facepalm.

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, never trust what you see in the render window as far as normal maps go. Always open it up in photoshop to get an accurate look at it.

Could you post a shot of you high/low poly/cage? Are you sure your cage is pushed out from the high poly?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Bake it in Scanline (forget about Mentalray) and report back to us.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you baking that entire thing or are you baking just one part and tiling it, (like you should be doing). You can use a bigger map and tile it to help minimize the low res pixelation effect.

What kind of normal map are you out putting? It looks like World space instead of tangent. Click the Options button next to the projection settings and make sure its set to Tangent.

Did you add a normal map material to the bump slot, then put your normal map into the map slot of the normal map material?