Home General Discussion

Samsung series 7 tablet

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
I was able to get one before the nov 1st release, yay! I will put an artist perspective video up soon but for now i leave you with this, its quite the capable machine so far running maya and photoshop cs5 with a 10 layer document at 3000x5000 atm no slowdowns what so ever.

Model is by neox its from the sdk thread.

14684842.jpg

Replies

• oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    So... whose d.... did you have to suck?

(Looks good just from picture, cant wait for more info)
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    really interested about how this goes. cheers for the heads up
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome! Looking forward to your review man.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    whats the specs and price tag for one of these badbois!?
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Touch screen I presume... any pressure sensitivity?
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice!!

I hope Dell could do something similar to its Dell Streak Series so I can actually buy a portable tablet for show.
  • xvampire
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Touch screen I presume... any pressure sensitivity?

Wacom digitiser. 1024 levels. or so i remember reading
  • Mrskullface
    I'm wondering about using alt and ctrl while you sculpt even. This seems like something I would want to use if all works right : ]
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm wondering about using alt and ctrl while you sculpt even. This seems like something I would want to use if all works right : ]
    perhaps something like this?
    http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys/xkstick.php
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Am I the only one who finds it would be really, really annoying to work on one of these? It just looks like a pain to draw/sculpt accurately, not to mention very limited hardware, and the small size. People seem to see this as a "cheap cintiq", but it costs the same as the 12 inch cintiq, and probably performs terribly in some apps due to GPU, CPU, and RAM limitations.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    1024 is pretty impressive, looked like a glass screen at first. Definitely will be taking a closer look on this one, I commute 4 hours a day:)
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Wacom digitiser. 1024 levels. or so i remember reading

Yummy.
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds it would be really, really annoying to work on one of these? It just looks like a pain to draw/sculpt accurately, not to mention very limited hardware, and the small size. People seem to see this as a "cheap cintiq", but it costs the same as the 12 inch cintiq, and probably performs terribly in some apps due to GPU, CPU, and RAM limitations.

Your not wrong, theres pros and cons I suppose. Still I think its pretty nice.
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    Well my camera sucks so i wont be doing a video just yet but i still have something for you. If anyone has a specific question let me know.

Some points

-with photoshop running at full brightness my battery lasted 5-6 hours

-some settings and drivers are anoying to say the least ill redirect you here for hints on that (no pressure out of the box)

-its very powerful photoshop and maya running at the same time is no problem at all the opengl support from intel is very bad so no viewport 2.0 for maya users.

-photoshop handles well with the newer opengl features (odd).
    -large document sizes is no problem but large textured brushs will slow down.
    -im not sure about the pressure levels being 1024 i think its still 256 but its much smoother then my bamboo, i have reached out to samsung for clarification on this one.
    -maya runs just fine but don't plan on modeling in it because it doesn't come with a keyboard or dock but it handles scenes in upwards ove 1 mil tris but slows way down, at about 300,000 it runs just fine with no lag in my tests.
    -the pen only have one button :(
    -colors look fantastic on this thing

i will test some other things such as sculpting and the like soon and give an impression on those and i will do a video as soon as i can get an ok camera.

Images

eb426742.jpg

628a2393.jpg

e6afcc63.jpg

0e68e676.jpg

c55acf8b.jpg

8283f8cf.jpg

Edit something i also just found out

Ladies and gentleartists, the volume buttons ARE recognized by Autohotkey as keypresses. AutoHotKey has given me undo/redo buttons.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah please do cause I would be interested in this mostly for the sculpting :) Good to know the painting works well.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looks cool, but honestly just as pointless as other windows tablet in my opinion (I own one :P) Any serious 3D or 2D requires to carry a keyboard around, therefore making it all just marginally more interesting than a regular laptop.

The only apps I end up using on mine are Alias sketchbook and Alchemy . For anything else I think this is just not practical at all - I'd rather carry a sketchbook around ...
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Looks cool, but honestly just as pointless as other windows tablet in my opinion (I own one :P) Any serious 3D or 2D requires to carry a keyboard around, therefore making it all just marginally more interesting than a regular laptop.

The only apps I end up using on mine are Alias sketchbook and Alchemy . For anything else I think this is just not practical at all - I'd rather carry a sketchbook around ...

think ill keep saving for a cintiq then
  • Mrskullface
    I would love it just for the ps option, even for minor sketches. I also would use it to read manga in bed like Beserk which is about 750 bucks new and 400 used. I will wait for your video reviews : ]
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    shit that looks wicked cool

I wish it had more physical buttons on the pen or tablet, I wonder if a popup-virtual keyboard for keybinds is all that's necessary though... I wish I had one of these so it'd force me to remake a more functional tablet toolbar thingy!
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10

I wouldn't mind substituting foot pedals and maybe my nostromo instead of a keyboard ( my preference for a laptop as well, but easiar to rotate )
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah its super tricky ... honestly I would love to be able to use one of these tablets efficiently but even tho I keep trying regularly I just never found a satisfactory way to use them. I tried Xkeys keypads, mini keyboards, mouse gestures, different knobs and various HID devices ... and obviously Funkybar which is actually pretty awesome (thanks again FB for developing it!! My tablet is a biiiit slow for it still but it really is great).

At the end of the day I think that very simplistic programs give the best mileage. Stuff like Alchemy or Sketchbook pro - that is to say, environments where keyboard muscle memory is not as strong as with photoshop ...

I think all this can still evolve tho - especially the day a good multitouch+pen solution comes out, allowing to freely pan/zoom/rotate with one hand (ipad like) while drawing/mousing with the stylus.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    think ill keep saving for a cintiq then

He summed it up pretty nicely, I own both and the cintiq is what I needed afterall. Just so nice to be able to use full power pc + direct visual feedback of the cintiq. Compared to my previous intuos 4 it's almost like going from a mouse to a tablet :)

100% with pior here, it's nice but after a while you realize nothing can beat a pen tablet + keyboard on a desktop computer and using a tablet is slowing you down too much to be a good solution.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    GUAT ze FUck!? that is awesome!
  • am_
    This slate is looking great, I think many similar slates will popup when Windows 8 is shipped next year. But at the moment this looks as it could be the best option for those that doesn't want to wait.

Can you say anything about the heat emitted from it? Could it get too hot to have on your lap? (after hours of use in Photoshop/Maya)

Btw: I have a cintiq 15 (old pen) dusting off on my shelf here, I think it will work on the samsung slate. It worked on other slate/tablets with wacom technology. It has 2 buttons, which is nice.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Got one too! Arrived today, amazing piece of hardware! I need a bluetooth keyboard now tho, its hard to type on the screen.
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    It will get warm nowhere near how my laptop used to but when laying on a bed for example where the vents are covers it can warm up fairly fast.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Pretty much, but try not getting the holes behind the tablet covered, and you should be fine.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14

You have to think outside the box. Imagine moving verts with your FINGERS! Imagine how much time you'd sa-... oh wait...
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I have a tablet PC (NOT a tablet).

It's not about the efficiency of it.

I can Zbrush on a long train ride. If I've got a bit of cabin fever, I can do a bulk of my work at a coffee shop or on a park bench.

Just a nice alternative to being chained to a desk all the time.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Exactly, I find my self free of my desktop and be able to go and sculpt/paint anywhere. Stay with my wife on bed, instead of long nights on the office.

One question here. I found those Axiotron Studio Pen and researching the web some people said it works fine with any Wacom enabled tablets, any body here tried getting one of those pens?
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with JacqueChoi. I just got an ASUS ep-121 off ebay, so I can work in the living room, at a cafe, take it to my girlfriends place when I stay there and be able to paint, or sculpt on the go. I'm not really looking to make masterpieces of photoshop layers, and get crazy technical with ZB. I'm looking to just do art. Maybe do some work, but I'd end up finishing it on my regular work machine.

I HATE being stuck at my pc all day everyday. if the weather's nice, I'd like to go to the park, or just hang out on my porch and do some nice relaxing art.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Question - Can this be hooked up to a PC and be used as a tablet with the screen? This would give it more of a multi functional use which would be nice.
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    not really in the kind of way your asking you can dup the display and kind of do something like it but its not the same thing.
  • Mrskullface
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    A tablet that can show so awesome art as depicted in the first post, just has to be the coolest thing ever :poly142:

no really waiting to test this thing out, especially with a different wacom pen with more than one button, find out which wacom tech is in there and you can find out which pen to use, i'm pretty sure there are alternatives to the standard pen.
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Just got my ep-121 last night, and I'm kinda loving it so far. There's been a couple hiccups, nothing too serious or annoying, but the one that's killing me right now, I could use a hand with.

I have pressure sensitivity in everything but Zbrush. Photoshop is working like a champ so far, but Zbrush is refusing to recognize pressure. I had to install the tablet pc drivers from Wacom to get pressure in PS, but it's not helping ZB. Anyone know a way to help me out? Could really use this this weekend
  • Mrskullface