Home Featured Artwork

An exercise in modular textures - Scifi lab UDK

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    hey! you're using Modo for your modeling/UVs! YAY Modo! Thanks for the break down. the scene is kickass. unbelievable it's one texture.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Make the sky with the same texture and i god damn BOW!

btw, this scene keeps looking sexier and sexier.

thanks for the breaks down makes super sense now.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Rofl, this is brilliant. I can't wait to see what you make next.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yay for modo indeed ^^

Sooo... added another feature in the shader, I can now have more colors on the same prop with almost no extra cost. Optimised the texture a bit more :]

edit: oh, and i just colored the wall like that as an example, will not go with those colors ^^
    tile15.jpg
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    every post gets better.. keep it up! I don't mind to look at some wires too from time to time :) dope stuff
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Very impressive, this should be released as a tech demo to teach the world texture usage. =)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added textures and shaders for monitors :] And some papers, some jars with pills and stuff ^^ Light looks like shit because..yeah. only medium quality rebake :D

tile16.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    very cool. at what point in your process did you create the cubemap for this? or are you using a temporary one? does your material use image based reflections?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Oniram wrote: »
    very cool. at what point in your process did you create the cubmap for this? or are you using a temporary one? does your material use image based reflections?

pretty sure he said earlier it was a RTT cubemap
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    This is crazy stuff. Thanks for the info on your low poly modeling and uv mapping definatly something to keep in mind for me in projects to come.

The scene looks amazing by the way, even on meduim quality :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Snefer wrote: »
    microscope.jpg

Why does everything got to be so low poly? Double chamfer dem edges on your highest LOD, gets some specular highlights. Your not rebaking for each LOD so its minor work that will make everything look nicer.

Herpa%20Derp.pngHerpa%20Derp2.png
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    Snefer, why exactly do you use a 2:1 texture when using this method? What advantage does going 2:1 give over doing 1:1? (eg: 512x256 as opposed to 512x512 or 256x256, sans the fact that higher res is pretty)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since he is tiling sideways a lot it can allow for more variation.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Since he is tiling sideways a lot it can allow for more variation.

+1
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    <3 Updated my slides ;)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron: Weeell, I do chamfer my edges in alot of places actually, but not on tiny props and where I have seams anyway :] I prefer to keep the polycount low on smaller objects, and not when I want the edges to be hard :] Also there are tiny chamfers in the normalmap in some places, so I just use that instead for that tiny highlight. But yeah, sometimes I just dont chamfer cause Im lazy and its easier to unwrap this way. But mostly because of the other reasons xD
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, if you have some blanks spaces on your normal map you could map to the edges you could make the smoothing groups do all the work for free without needing any difficult unwrapping for them, do it after the initial unrwap.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron: that is basically what I have done in many places :]

Added some random stuff, filling out the space. For example.. the new ipad 18! :D ahwell. slooow progresss...

tile17.jpg
    tile18.jpg
    tile19.jpg
    tile20.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    how many cubemaps do you have for the scene? are there realtime reflection posiblities in UDK? for instance the last image if it was an animated TV?
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    Amazing stuff. Loving this shit.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coots: Hmm, i only have one cubemap actually, and two scene-captureactors ^^ (yes its superexpensive but its FUN! :D) and yes, the scene-capture reflection is realtime :]
  • Shoy333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you make a tutorial after all this pweeetyy please!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm while it is impressive, why are you limiting yourself to such a small texture sheet? It looks very plain and boring at the moment!
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    This is totally fantastic work man. Awesome to see what you can do with great, imposed limitations. The color variation for the walls you had, thats still all one material on the model. Not multi material walls?
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    PogoP wrote: »
    Hmm while it is impressive, why are you limiting yourself to such a small texture sheet? It looks very plain and boring at the moment!

It's no more plain than the majority of sci-fi scenes that use way more textures though really.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP: i think the plainness is more to the lack of things in the environment and the unfinished state its in, together with the clean style, more than the lack of textures. :]

danjohncox: thanks, yes the colorvariations is still one material on the model, the only things with two materials are the monitors and the glowy beds (one material for glowy, one for normal) even though I could probably solve that in the shader aswell..hmmm. I should do that. But yes, imposing limitations is a nice exercise to force yourself outside of your comfort zone :]
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Awesome work Snefer! Love it!
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is an excellent 101 in modular texture design! Really love the results you got from this exercise.

That being said, is there any advantage of what your doing on a technical level? It seems like your trading texture memory for multiple render passes (provided what i know of how unreal renders objects with multiple uv's is correct.)

So i'm wondering, is it practical to texture objects in this way? I know this project pushes it to an extreme, i'm just curious which method is less 'costly' or whether this is comparing apples to oranges.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bgoodsell: on a technical level, yes. I am trading texturememory for shaderinstructions (because it takes a few shaderinstructions to assemble everything) but since everything is only using one shader per objects its only one drawcall per object. It also allows me to have larger objects combined together because they share the same shader. (like the bookshelf, with folder, pills, clipboard in it, all the same material) So technically its all very sound, however, there isnt really any point of optimising something this hard, this is mostly an exercise and example of what you can do with smaller textures. :] Optimising is never bad :D
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    this scene makes me realize the power of lighting, composition and shaders O_O i mean...the size of that texture wow...great job man!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    This is really a great source of inspiration!

Congrats on the feature in the recap. :)
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    This is totally awesome! I have a sci fi scene I had to put on hold a for a while. I was struggling balancing small details and the overall picture and had come to a real slow crawl. This is realy inspiring, I cannot wait to get back to it, brilliant!
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is wireframe view of scene available? :) all pictures moved to inspire folder
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This scene is so powerful. You're really showcasing the abilities of using an engine for portfolio work.

Is the screencapture actor working properly with the tiledshot command? I had problems with that in the past. Your reflections are coming out real nice.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was looking around in Halo: Reach the other day and I noticed they used a similar technique on a lot of their maps like Sword Base and Zealot. They use the same trim everywhere but it has no diffuse, only a normal map (maybe an AO as well?). This way they can stretch it out or rescale it to break tiling without anyone noticing stretch marks. Then it looks like they use a second non-stretched 1:1 UV channel for detail normals, this way the can keep the same texel density everywhere even if they stretch other UV channels.

DEM BEVELED EDGES SON:
    reach_24480958_Full.jpg
    reach_24480966_Full.jpg
    reach_24480984_Full.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any easy way to make a beveled edge that is also unwrapped automatically to fit one of these modular textures? You could sweep a spline with genrate mapping coordinates but then you have to cut this bevel into your model and weld it in but that is an assload of tedious work. Any quick modifiers that can perform this?

EDIT: NVM, I figured out if you sweep a 1/4 pipe and use its radius in the edge chamfer operation all the verts stack right on top of eachother making them easy to weld as well as perfectly UV'ed. Adam Bromell was right in his talk, there is a lot of inspirational learning to be had from people like Snefer (Congrats by the way), thanks!
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    wow awesome work Snefer I got a question for you is it safe to say that your texture is size pixel by poly meaning that a 128 by 512 texture is attached to a 128 by 512 poly mesh?
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    this thread put a big smile on my face
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Literally just read through this whole thread with my jaw on the floor, really great inspiration and shows quite how wasteful i usually am in my environments :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    PogoP, I think this is more of an experiment to see how far he can push himself on the technical side. Learning new techniques and see what the limitations really are. But i agree with skillmister, that its no more "boring" than the majority of sci-fi scenes. Snefer has essentially done the same as alot of people, but with ALOT less.

Personally, snefer, I think this is absoultely amazing. I totally missed this thread before. I saw your cybernetics core thread and was blown away, then missed this one till I went to Adams talk at IDGA and he showed it. Amazing stuff. simply amazing. And Kudos for pushing yourself even further. Very inspirational
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    wow, like what your doing. I'm obsessed with graphics programming (mostly lighting and radiosity calculation) always interested in the strangely brilliant!

would you be able to give an abstract and method? just an explanation of the theory and how you go about implementing it?
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Snefer wrote: »
    Soo, here is a small breakdown of how I make a prop ^^ Hmm, makes sense now? ^^

microscope.jpg

im lost on your step two, why is the unwrap so fugly for the normal? am i missing something?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    dpaynter26 wrote: »
    im lost on your step two, why is the unwrap so fugly for the normal? am i missing something?

I'm guessing it's because he has tiling details or bevels in in the normal map. He's just putting his shells on the details that he wants for that for that particular area, so no need to make it pretty. :)
    The light map UV set needs to be optimized and in the 0 to 1 space in order to get proper light maps.

This is just my guess though, you'll have to wait for snefer to reply to get a 100% correct answer. :P
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    haha, I love it. I wish more environment artists would try out these kind of uber-optimisation techniques, you learn so much from it :), especially when it comes to being fast and efficient.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    so you're saying his normal map itself, the baked image is going to look pretty nasty because everythings stacked up but as long as the light map set is nice and neat its ok? i mean you wouldnt be able to show off the baked normal map when showing off the textures but that works?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    dpaynter26 wrote: »
    so you're saying his normal map itself, the baked image is going to look pretty nasty because everythings stacked up but as long as the light map set is nice and neat its ok? i mean you wouldnt be able to show off the baked normal map when showing off the textures but that works?

you dont understand, he isnt baking with these UV's, he already made theses normalmaps by hand or from previous bakes, and is just overlaying UV's shells on the details in the exiting normal map he wanst to put on his objects.

he working in reverse of what most do, starting with the textures, and making models that fit to and use the existing texture, to allow him to reuse elements in the textures as much as possible.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments! See if I can answer some of the questions. :]

dpaynter26: Yup, Disting got it right, I dont have a baked normalmap. I map the UVs after the existing texture :] It doesnt matter how the UVmap looks aslong as the model looks good. I use the lightmap UVs for a tiling metal texture, and for the lightmaps. Thats more or less how i do it. I have changed the shader a bit since, so I will post an updated version aswell later, right now i have some annoying bugs and crashes when baking lights, no clue as to why.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    hey man
    First off, awesome stuff dude, also great to see you doing more clean stuff lately.

Now enough with the sugar coating,I couldn't help but notice the fugly lightmap seam on thet microscope (pretty sure there are some in other places, just not as noticeable, and looking at your lightmap uvs, I'm wondering, is there a particular reason you didn't gridmap, or at least straighten those sloped edges on the microscope ? it'a a bit of a shame seeing such a cool piece having nasty lightmap seams :)
    also, any reason you use a dxt5 instead of 2 DXT1 ? that would give you 2 extra channels at no texture memory cost IIRC ? or was it just a self imposed restriction of only one texture lookup ?
    again cool stuff man :) good to see smart use of high end tech to do heavy optimisation at little to no quality cost :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you mean the seams when its baked and in the scene? And no, there is no specific reason really, more than lazyness I suppose. I generally try to keep the Lightmap UVs as seamless as possible, but I dont bother overly much with pieces that are angled etc. However, I am not sure if the seams will show when rebaked at production quality. My computer at home is pretty shit and I havent had the time to rebake on higher quality, so that causes seams even wth perfect UVs, so I will have to look into that, if it actually shows :]

And yeah, the only reason I went with a dxt5 was the self imposed restriction :) I actually redid the shader so I got rid of one channel for awhile (the decalalfa), but then I added the monitor-shader so I used upp the alfa-channel again. But actually, I got an idea now, so I miiiight be able to free up one more channel again :D And yeah, the restriction is two lookups, since I have the normalmap aswell. Doesnt really make sense in a real world scenario, but it gives food for thought :]
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome stuff, I had to do this when creating a set of train cars for the last game I was working on. We couldn't use giant texture sheets for each one so we used this method exactly. It's really cool to see you using it for a whole environment. Nice Work!