Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

fenrir motorcycle

hey polycount, Im a long time lurker who finally decided to get in on all of this fun.
So a long time ago I modeled the fenrir motorcycle from the advent children movie to get some hadsurface practice but now Ive come back to it and would like to see if I can finish it up with a lowpoly bake and such. but first i would like to revisit the high poly and see if fix some of the stuff that i goofed up. I have a pretty sweet toy model of this guy sitting on my desk which I have been using as reference. The problem with the toy model is that some of its details differ a lot from the model used in the movie, so Ive mostly just used the toy as the definitive reference on this. I know that Im missing a lot of grooves and seams in the high poly, my plan for this was to add them in after the bake using ndo.
6173866038_970fef247b_b.jpg6173866164_3ecc7760a7_b.jpg6173338557_04733e987d_b.jpg
6173866236_83a60d087e_b.jpg
and my reference. now I don't actually have a camera available to me right now so I couldn't take any good pictures of the toy, instead I looked online for some shots of it. Im not so sure that any of these are terribly useful but these will have to do until i can get my camera back.
6173338843_f94723303f_b.jpg

so anyways let me know if you see anything fugly with my model so I can fix it. also do any of you guys have a special way of presenting your highpoly models? im using xoliul right now but I feel like im missing out on some neat trick.

Replies

• euclidius
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    I think it looks good, I think what's left are the die hard fan details which I can't tell anymore- looks close to me. I can't to wait to see what kind of shaders and textures you are going to use. Are you going to use Marmoset?

hey are you going to model Cloud's blades as well? that one the retracts from his bike :D
  • PorkSteak
    Thanks! Im not really sure what Im going to use to render it in, but ill likely use the xoliul viewport shader. yea Im really excited about texturing it there are a lot of different materials on the bike so it should be fun. I considered trying to do the blades and the crazy holder things but naw that would be too difficult for me to do without proper reference.
  • InvertedVantage
    How did you do all that detail in the middle? (below the seat) Was it sculpted?
  • PorkSteak
    its modeled, its actually just a whole lotta bs tech parts that have been stuffed in there. Im not going to lie I kinda phoned in those details :poly122:6173925441_57c29008bb_b.jpg
  • PorkSteak
    So Ive tweaked the high poly a bit with a few more details and got a first pass on my low poly. right now it is about 15k and I have a few things that still need to be shaved down or added.6186499961_68cd6d2351_b.jpg
  • PorkSteak
    ok here is my baked low poly. I used ndo to add the seams, tire treads etc saved me a whole lot of time doing it that way. The heatsink/fin/things that stick out of the side were done using alpha planes, vertical ones for the sides and a horizontal one for the edges I'm still working on making them look less jagged. Overall I really like how the bake came out, but I'm not super happy with the way the wheels came out.
    6212671924_bd53dca70b_b.jpg
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    I hate cloud with passion, but I love your bike man! Good job on bake, post your unwraps. Excited to see it textured!
  • PorkSteak
    @alex3d haha yea cloud is a total wenis, thanks and ill totally post those flats soon.
    here is my first pass on the diffuse texture. kinda dull right now, I haven't started the spec yet.
    6216377134_18af6009de_b.jpg6216377004_74b16b1216_b.jpg
    so I kinda differed from the gold metal in the original... cuz its kinda fugly.
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm, nice pass! Make tires a bit darker and tone down that edge highlight. Also i noticed you have some weird artifacts on tires near rims on your normal bakes. Keep them coming :P
  • PorkSteak
    and here is my first pass on spec and gloss. still has a way to go but I'm liking how its coming. anyone have any suggestions? btw the shitty looking floor is still pretty wip. :poly122: oh yea and this is being rendered in xoliul 2
    6228480770_8887b7dafb_b.jpg6228480582_241a0cfb6b_b.jpg6228480438_1f4e92b833_b.jpg6228480290_cf27a8b556_b.jpg
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I'd like to see you push the color variation a little more, not so much a wider variety of colors - just a more distinct difference between the ones you've got right now. I thought the bike looked nice in Advent Children - it only used a couple main colors from the pics in your refs, but there was a nice difference between that black and washed out gold/metal type of scheme.

Yours right now seems to sort of blur the colors together and not make it feel quite as bold, and confident.
  • PorkSteak
    hmmm ok good point, I added more gold to the metal but I kept it sorta desaturated (I was worried it would look to bling blingy) let me know what you guys think. 6229187480_8e41c1531c_b.jpg
  • Sandro
    Looks like you have painted some sort of broad grungy highlights in your diffuse. If you are going for "bleached" kind of look then I guess it's okay but it really messes with spec/gloss and does not help with material separation.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice end render man, seriously, very nice end render. Its 3ds max right?
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think those colors look much better, really help give it that bold feeling I've always associated with the bike. :thumbup:

...a part of me wishes I could also add to what Sandro's saying but I don't know enough about that side of things.
  • PorkSteak
    @sandro- you're talking about spots like these right?
    6232010023_52ebfce8a5_b.jpg

yea Im not really sure what I was thinking when I painted those in, I guess I got too highlight happy. the next screenshot shows it without them, its not a huge difference but if its not helping it then it probably shouldn't be there

6232489661_ea1ca1c1b8_b.jpg
    @Nitewalkr- Thanks, I appreciate that. Yup its a 3ds max viewport render
    @twolisten- Thanks for the advice ill keep working on the material definition