Home Technical Talk

Max 2012 problem

GoK
GoK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
GoK polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys trying out the max 2012 trial and came across this problem with my normal maps... they work fine in 2011 so what hidden checkbox have autodesk added in this time that im missing... its a tangent spaced normal map... nothing wrong with the map as i said it works fine in max 2011 and also mudbox and UDK... Im stumped.

Jody

problemsh.jpg

Replies

• GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    ok figured it out! I had to overide the normal maps gamma to 1.0 when importing the map... anyone have any ideas what this means? I dont understand what the gamma is on the normal map....

Thanks in advance

Jody
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Max 2012 has Gamma and Lut correction enabled by default.
    You can disable it by going to "Preferences > Gamma and LUT" and uncheck the box to deactivate it.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent thanks! what advantages do these options give?...

Jody
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamma correction is applied to the final color of every screen pixel. So to cancel out this correction (which would otherwise brighten all color textures like diffuse and spec), they're inversely gamma corrected first. normals aren't colors but vectors, so they don't get affected by gamma correction, and thus there isn't any need to account for this in the first place.
  • percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    equil wrote: »
    gamma correction is applied to the final color of every screen pixel. So to cancel out this correction (which would otherwise brighten all color textures like diffuse and spec), they're inversely gamma corrected first. normals aren't colors but vectors, so they don't get affected by gamma correction, and thus there isn't any need to account for this in the first place.

huh? thats just not true. You can absolutely gamma correct any bitmap you import into 3dsmax, including normal maps. Gamma correction is NOT just something that gets applied to a render. There's even toggles to show gamma correction in the color picker and material editor.