Home General Discussion

Cintiq 24HD

http://networkedblogs.com/mUx9f?a=share&ref=nf

So I'm gonna sell my arms for this. What do you guys think?

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hot damn...wonder how much this one will cost.

So....many.....buttons.....
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    lol just ordered 21UX :O
  • MrCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May I sell your legs for one?
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    That thing is pure sex.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hot damn; wonder if it will sell for the price of the currently most expensive Cintiq... that would be nice.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im most amazed at the stand. holy crap i wonder how much money they invested on those stands :O
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    OH SWEET SEXY JESUS. I just got a 21" last year but man this is GLORIOUS!!!

I will find a way to get one. Thank god it's my 10 year wedding anniversary this year :) !!!!

Cintiq-24hd-11.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/18/wacom-cintiq-24hd-approved-by-fcc-makes-us-wish-we-went-to-art/
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    I like this new stand but you can't tilt the screen anymore. :-/ Also, 32 pounds...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Well, we don't even have any real photos of the tablet yet. Those pictures are only 3D renders. It's not even on Wacom's website yet.
    Do want to see a price, though.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Great, I'll be able to get the older ones cheaper :)
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I'm hoping this will help somewhat drive down the price on the still fairly new 21UX. :)
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    as I said in the news post comments, there is a possibility that this is not an actual Wacom product.

The domain name isn't registered Wacom and the device is not mentioned anywhere on their site. Doesn't make it 100% fake, but certainly raises an eyebrow.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If its true ... it sure doesn't look very practical to use.
    It's not "Higher Definition" either - the 21UX already had 1200 lines, this one is just wider.
  • Ryan Hawkins
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Can has price-drop on older Cintiq models nao ?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    must......stick.....with.....the....SCANNERRR!! -.-
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    is it real though?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks really awesome.

I'm not liking the MTBF of 20000 hours which seems a bit short given how much I'd end up using it.
  • equil
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah .... try to fit a keyboard next to that thing ...
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Yeah .... try to fit a keyboard next to that thing ...

Considering you get rid of a tablet it seems like a good thing.

I couldn't find reaction time of current cintiqs but I've tried them and it's really noticeable. That lag is a big detractor for me. I don't know how 13ms compares. Does anyone know what the current models sport?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean - it is good not to be able to have a keyboard next to it ? (you lost me ...)

As for lag I wouldn't worry too much about it as there really isn't any on the black 21UX. And even if there was ... it wouldn't be caused by the screen response time, since mouse movements or windows menus are not "laggy" on cintiqs.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i seen a demo of wacom showing off multitouch, pressure sensitive cintiqs a few years ago, i am so disappointed this thing is not multi touch. watching the demo, the presenter was rotating a model with one hand, zooming and panning around, and with the other he was editing his 3d model. what happend to that?? .............dont get me wrong, i still want one
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean - it is good not to be able to have a keyboard next to it ? (you lost me ...)

As for lag I wouldn't worry too much about it as there really isn't any on the black 21UX. And even if there was ... it wouldn't be caused by the screen response time, since mouse movements or windows menus are not "laggy" on cintiqs.

There are desk with the keyboard slider you know? Not next to it but under neath the computer desk is good. If you still want to debate (oh try fitting a keyboard next to it), go for it. :D
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is multitouch a really big deal on a cintiq? id understand if you are using your fingers alot, but if you have a drawing tablet i cant find any point in needing multiple touch. either, as long as the price is low and works like a charm dont care whether it has a multitouch or not. :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cintiqs are weird beasts - there are a lot of misconceptions about them, and overall the device can only be judged after at least a two weeks run. I have seen artists dismissing them totally only to go back to them later, others totally embracing them but giving up on them after 2 years of use ... in the end one really has to try it to see.

As for multitouch : it would be, indeed, huge. Artists familiar with paper handling end up rotating their sheet all the time, and even tho the Cintiqs come with a rotation-friendly stand and can be mounted on a flexible arm mount, it sometimes isn't enough - especially with photoshop Rotate Canvas tool being broken and barely usable. (as soon as you rotate the canvas, the smooth ctrl-spacebar zoom doesn't focus on the mouse pointer anymore...)

Usually one way to overcome this problem is to think of the Cintiq as a fixed canvas on an easel, as opposed to a light sheet of paper.

Nitewalker : yeah I can see how it could look trivial, but it really isnt ... These devices are awesome, but artists coming from a power user background with one hand on the Intuos and one hand on the keyboard can be very much thrown out by a Cintiq setup. It kindof forces you to adapt a loopsided posture, and finding something that works without destroying one's back can be very tricky. Some manage to totally switch to expresskeys, and somehow I wish I could, but letting go of the keyboard is tough for speed reasons. I actually ended up mounting a keyboard on the to edge of my work Cintiq just to be able to type properly without having to resort to crazy bent postures.

I am also currently trying to switch over to Touchstrips + mouse gestures for Photoshop use, it seems to work okay so far but it's not there yet.

Just wanted to point out that using these is not as simple as the sleek video makes it look. The guy painting the car is awfully slow, too...
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I doubt they'll reduce the price of the 21UX so this will be more, much more. I do wish there was some competition to drive prices down a bit, but it's such a niche market. So will sell some legs for this badboy.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cintiqs are weird beasts - there are a lot of misconceptions about them, and overall the device can only be judged after at least a two weeks run. I have seen artists dismissing them totally only to go back to them later, others totally embracing them but giving up on them after 2 years of use ... in the end one really has to try it to see.

As for multitouch : it would be, indeed, huge. Artists familiar with paper handling end up rotating their sheet all the time, and even tho the Cintiqs come with a rotation-friendly stand and can be mounted on a flexible arm mount, it sometimes isn't enough - especially with photoshop Rotate Canvas tool being broken and barely usable. (as soon as you rotate the canvas, the smooth ctrl-spacebar zoom doesn't focus on the mouse pointer anymore...)

Usually one way to overcome this problem is to think of the Cintiq as a fixed canvas on an easel, as opposed to a light sheet of paper.

Nitewalker : yeah I can see how it could look trivial, but it really isnt ... These devices are awesome, but artists coming from a power user background with one hand on the Intuos and one hand on the keyboard can be very much thrown out by a Cintiq setup. It kindof forces you to adapt a loopsided posture, and finding something that works without destroying one's back can be very tricky. Some manage to totally switch to expresskeys, and somehow I wish I could, but letting go of the keyboard is tough for speed reasons. I actually ended up mounting a keyboard on the to edge of my work Cintiq just to be able to type properly without having to resort to crazy bent postures.

I am also currently trying to switch over to Touchstrips + mouse gestures for Photoshop use, it seems to work okay so far but it's not there yet.

Just wanted to point out that using these is not as simple as the sleek video makes it look. The guy painting the car is awfully slow, too...

Having multitouch feature wouldnt help the rotating problem, its up to adobe to fix the rotate canvas feature in their programs. And if they did, I would just macro a button that allows the artist to hold it down and move the canvas with the pen. No need to have two or more fingers/hands to make a simple gesture. Maybe there might be other stuff to take advantage of multitouch, but I can't think of any and never thought my cintiq was a nuicience without it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, totally agree about Adobes bad implementation of the feature ...
    I think I remember it working better on a macbook touch pad - maybe it would shake them into fixing it!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So, you cant have your left hand under the table, press the hot keys without looking and your cintiq slightly to the right side on the table. For Intuos 4 you can free your left hand if you require it for certain selections that require the pen's nib and , the dial can be accessed by the right hand. You can lay back and still work with this posture. You can also modify this posture if there are any buttons on the right side of the tablet.

It does require some getting used to but so far it worked out for me. If you want the keyboard to be visible to your sight, than yes I agree with you. :)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Do you think a keyboard like this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kinesis-KB700PB-US-Freestyle-Solo-Keyboard/dp/B0016A0RLA[/ame] would work? You could split it and put one half on either side :D and then draw with your mouth haha
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually think that Arsh got one of these!
    How did it go ??
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Priced at $2500... Which means at least £2250 here in the uk. That is an absolutely obscene price tag in my opinion. Anyone who buys one at that price should really consider the integrity of their mental health. The only justification I see in that price is monopoly.

I think I prefer the 21UX. Im still an 'Intuos guy' but I have no words left after they announced the price on this, I knew it wouldn't be cheap but wow. It doesn't look like you can rotate it judging by the mounting system in the pictures. I always thought this was a necessity, and one of the better features of the other Cintiq's.

As Pior mentioned, rotating the paper is such a fundamental part of 'natural' drawing, especially in industrial design. If you watch any decent industrial designer sketching, they turn their page constantly to draw straight lines and judging by the press shots they're using for this, it looks like that market is one of their primary targets.

I guess painters don't rotate their canvas but it still seems like a wild omission if it does indeed only pivot on the horizontal axis.

Hands-On:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/wacom-cintiq-24hd-hands-on-video/
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish they had just gone balls out and taken the 27" IPS panel apple are using and made a tablet out of that! How wicked would that be :D Would atlease justify the price these things clock in at.
    More pixels please..
    -Also, toutch strips.. hells no! I had to disable them on the Cintiq 12" because I kept accidentally swiping them with random parts of my arms when drawing or reaching for the keyboard :P The actual push-buttons on the 21" model and the Intuos 4´s is way better in my book.

Its kind of weird that I feel more "locked in" on a 1900x1200 24" monitor than I did back in 2001 when using a 1600x1200 non-wide Apple Tube monitor :P
    I dont know why, but widescreen on a 22" or 24" monitor, and maya/max just feels so squished and claustrophobic :P (UI eating up too much of the screen i guess)
    Recently tried maya running on a 27" imac the increase in screen res was shaaaaaaweeet.
    Wouldn´t have thought it would make so much of a difference for me :)
    Sadly over here, a 30" Dell monitor, is more expensive than a very workable 27" imac :P
    Hell i could get two thunderbolt 27" apple cin-displays for the price of one 30" dell!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    2.3k euros is a bit on the expensive side for yours truly...
    Here's to hoping the 21UX drops in price now. Then I would quite possibly sell someone else's first born to get one. :)
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Having a 21UX at home, I can say the loss of being able to rotate the tablet when its positioned horizontally is pretty huge. Although I must confess I rarely work like that. I have it stand at the most vertical position so I can use my aluminum apple keyboard in front of it. I kinda want a monitor arm for it now, since that would give me allot more freedom in ways to position the cintiq. I would be able to rotate the thing in all positions: angle it at 45, 90 degrees etc. Would make working with it less of a struggle.

anyway, I don't see myself purchasing this one, besides the ridiculous price point, I have had some scratching issues with my current UX. and I doubt wacom finally has a cheap solution to fixing that issue (the current solution is taking out the glass pane, and re-coating it, which is very costly: about 300 to 400 dollars)
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see the rotation being a huge issue for 2d artists that use it.. The rotate canvas in photoshop is near unusable.. It both distorts the pixels alot, and makes the tablet less accurate while the canvas is rotated.

Its terrible but I wish Autodesk would release a competing product to photoshop :P
    Take the draw quality from Sketchbook and implement a more grown up package to it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph wrote: »
    2.3k euros is a bit on the expensive side for yours truly...
    Here's to hoping the 21UX drops in price now. Then I would quite possibly sell someone else's first born to get one. :)
    $2,499.00 http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cintiq/Cintiq24HD.aspx

... and it looks like the 21UX is "out of stock" and it will probably be a few days/weeks before the 3rd party retailers catch onto the new product and adjust their prices. Fingers crossed...
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Europe, my friend. We always get screwed over with prices.
    http://eu.shop.wacom.eu/Cintiq/Cintiq24HD 2.299 euros, although this includes VAT, not sure if that USD price also includes taxes.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I don't pretend to know how much components for this type of thing costs, notably the panel technology but is there really any reason why it is so expensive? Other than the fact Wacom are really the only company making them? I mean, it's not like any artists 'depend' on them, sure it's nice to have, but I highly doubt there are any artists that can only use a Cintiq, and not a tablet.

I suppose it's just a luxury item, if you've got a few G's spare, why not?!

I mean, you could get one hell of a computer and a very nice IPS display as well as a conventional tablet for less money... heck you could get a fairly decent car for less money!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, I paid about that much for my 21ux back in... '08? It's worth it, the thing is amazing, art is my life so $2,500 really isn't a significant amount of money compared to all the time and money I've already invested.

It's only about 2 weeks (or a month if you suck at negotiating salary) pay, that aint hard to swing.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I agree. Mine paid for itself with 1 small freelance gig.

worth the money.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree with Justin and Sectaurs. Well worth the money and if you can pick up a small freelance gig on the side then boom it's paid for. Seriously. These are so worth the money. It's something I use everyday and besides my car probably one of the most expensive things I own and if it broke tomorrow I would do whatever I could to replace it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I'm animator who does environment art in his spare time and I've been on the verge of buying one quite a few times. I've held off for various reasons (daughter, new car, water heater, new bike, new computers, new monitors, vacations...) something always seems to pop up and drain the Cintiq fund.

But all I can say is, use one for a few hours then go back to your tablet, its like someone stole your thumbs. You adjust back fairly quickly but thoughts of the Cintiq never really leave you...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah fair points. See I wouldn't really say art is my life... sure it's a huge passion but it's not everything so I view it very differently. I can see how it would appeal to a lot of people regardless of cost.

I also just remembered I have, and would drop that sort of money on a guitar without question, so I guess it's a similar situation.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weird, my intuos 4 looks less nice all of the sudden...
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    I dunno, it looks super slick... yet totally unwieldy. Not being able to rotate it kinda sucks and it would seem you'd have almost no room to use a keyboard at the same time, but who knows, maybe the side controls are super nice?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The default stands have always been huge and bulky. The best thing to do is getting yourself a nice Ergotron LX arm for the cintiq to mount on and putting that on your desk. You can move it, rotate it, tilt, whatever. Best 150 buck investment on top of the cintiq purchase.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    I agree, I have an ergotron for my cintiq and its amazing. I dunno, I think I would have rather had a multi touch 20-21 inch cintiq, bigger isn't always better when it comes to tablets imo.