Home General Discussion

Exposing an art thief

I stumbled across the portfolio of an artist who is currently employed at a reputable games company.

Their work contains an image belonging to somebody else and they use it across their whole portfolio. Their ACTUAL work is pretty poor and I am confident that they would not have been hired if it wasn't for the use of the stolen imagery.

I have attached an image with the stolen work on the left, and a snippet of the original piece on right. I am not a fan of naming and shaming but I want to know what people think on the matter.

I don't feel like people should be able to get away with this kind of thing; the person got a job that somebody else deserved.

mesh

Replies

• PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    So wait, you want to know what artists think about people stealing credit for art? Well let me tell you: It's shitty, unfortunate, and there isn't really a damn thing we can do it about unless we can see what he claims is his work, we can identify what is not, and somehow contact the original artists. Then they can go about taking whatever steps they feel are necessary.

But what do we gain, really? Cause some guy to lose his job? Black list him from future jobs?

I'd like to think that he'll get his just desserts based on his own abilities while everyone else just continues to improve beyond even what he stole and claimed his own.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    PatrickL wrote: »

I can't necessarily say any better, so I'll just drop this here.
    <3

1260130142014.gif
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's pretty cool how awesome google's reverse image lookup is... found that guy in less than a minute.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    But what do we gain, really? Cause some guy to lose his job? Black list him from future jobs?

I'd like to think that he'll get his just desserts based on his own abilities while everyone else just continues to improve beyond even what he stole and claimed his own.

I also want to add that if he really does steal, he may be doing it at work as well. And that means he's a huge liability to the studio. What if they ship a game, only later to find out he ripped off another artist? Now that artist will sue and maybe even prevent the game from hitting the shelves, that's not good for the studio and all it's employee's.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    wait .. this guy? http://athornton.co.uk/portfoliopage.html

JC said "..... what a shame ..."
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL! Big surprise! Doing a little more digging and this guy's got another piece of work that doesn't seem legit.

I guess Adam Thornton has some explaining to do...

This bit of 3D:

http://athornton.co.uk/ghosttown.html

VS.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/349694

or many other links...

EDIT1: (oops! removed warez links :poly136:)
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    That Joker.....

It's even split in pieces so you can't Save As!!! irony, lol
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    leilei wrote: »
    That Joker.....

It's even split in pieces so you can't Save As!!! irony, lol

I think what happened, is he designed his whole site in photoshop and used auto slices and exported to html.

So yeah, what Kot_Leopold said.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I agre with PatrickL on this subject.

Wow for a guy who claims he's good at graphic design and calls himself an artist his webpage really is horrible. It seems quite clear that he has just taken others artworks and plastered GUI-elements on them which probably are stolen as well.

I don't really know how to expose the guy though, maybe contact the company he's working for, or it might just be better to contact the guy himself.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I dunno about you guys...but I always get a kick on finding Art Thieves. At least to laugh on their horrible website design and blatant jackassery.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    What I wonder is, how the hell does a guy with a portfolio like that, end up in this
    'reputable games company'. I would love to have the name of that company, cause it seems any schmoe can land a job there. oO
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    my like or +1 would be also on the comment of PatrickL

@ Ben Apuna
    is avax and the other 2 sites not Warez websites and violating with the rules of Polycount ?

thats even worse to post that because the original creator wants to earn his $125.00. ...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
  • mesh
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of theft threads lately on polycount. Art thieves are kind of easy to spot. Webpage design, spelling, attitude towards portfolio, random collection of art with no consistency whatsoever, inability to categorize or describe their own work - tons of warning signs for guys doing the hiring.

On the art side of things, I doubt thieves will improve or develop their art skills, or even stay in business for more than couple of months, so I see no reason to go hunting them fulltime :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO wrote: »
    my like or +1 would be also on the comment of PatrickL

@ Ben Apuna
    is avax and the other 2 sites not Warez websites and violating with the rules of Polycount ?

thats even worse to post that because the original creator wants to earn his $125.00. ...

Oops! I had no idea :poly136: Well I removed all but the turbosquid link.

My mistake I sort of assumed that this scene was pretty much available for free pretty much anywhere you looked (according to Google) and that someone was trying to sell it on turbosquid...

I apologize to the original creator, whoever you are!
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Lol if he's really at Rare then it won't take long for someone to point him out in the studio.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Uh...
    http://www.peonystudio.co.uk/
    Reputable games company?

I... I just don't know what to think any more.
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Just for the sake of it, the UI comes from here http://z-design.deviantart.com/art/AdvancedUI-Status-Screen-120947815

The guy doing these mangled...things seems a bit delusional to me, if he really is at Rare chances are he's already halfway out.

Thieves never win :P
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    cv_57.jpg
    cv_60.jpg

one day i hope to have achivments too

(edit) his whole sliced-up image-based website is dog shit, i wouldn't hire him based on that alone, regardless of whether he stole all his work.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Saw this guys stuff before since UI falls under my area of work as a 2D person and I like to scope out the competition. Meh.

http://www.adamthornton.co.uk/New%20folder%20%2834%29/crashed.html

http://concept-on-mac.deviantart.com/gallery/1033029#/dkepo7

Press download image on DeviantArt.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's not really theft so much as a bad image based on a tutorial. i wonder if this guy simply got those UI images from somewhere else and thought they were free to use, rather than it being malicious theft?
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm nah you can see those clouds have been copy+pasted and flipped. I think he did actually attempt to do the ship but the rest is definitely just lifted.

The thing that stands out to me the most across his gallery is that all of the stuff which has been pasted is really blurry.

Also, if someone is applying for a UI role, I'd expect all of the work to be their own. When none of the elements are his then they might as well not be on there.
  • Squip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squip polycounter lvl 11
    I found the weirdly jarring bullets from his about me page on page 1 of a google image search for "check mark."

I don't know about the ethics of a graphic designer using free clipart on his portfolio, and I don't wanna pick on the guy unnecessarily, but I do find it kind of funny all the same.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just throwing in a question here. I like to borrow elements from other people that inspires me. Where would people draw the line between stealing and concidering it your own?

If you where inspired by something someone else did and tried to emulate it with a twist would you post that on your portfolio giving credits to the artist?

Like if i used a concept i found on CGhub and made the enviorment 3d?

Just taking examples here really :D
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think emulation is fine especially if you get the original artist's permission first, like in the case of a 2D concept art being translated into a 3D scene or character.

I think "the line" is drawn at any sort of select -> copy -> paste or clone brush use.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    His site is down, I guess he heard you guys.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I think emulation is fine especially if you get the original artist's permission first, like in the case of a 2D concept art being translated into a 3D scene or character.

I think "the line" is drawn at any sort of select -> copy -> paste or clone brush use.

Makes sense. Thank you for that answer. If i where emulating someones art beacuse i love their work the last thing i would what to happen is to upset that person.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I'm pretty sure most artists would take it as a compliment. Unless you went stalker and started duping all there work.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »
    Just throwing in a question here. I like to borrow elements from other people that inspires me. Where would people draw the line between stealing and concidering it your own?

If you where inspired by something someone else did and tried to emulate it with a twist would you post that on your portfolio giving credits to the artist?

Like if i used a concept i found on CGhub and made the enviorment 3d?

Just taking examples here really :D

making a 3d based on a concept is totally ok as long as you make it known that the concept is not yours, you notify the artist that you will be posting either his concept and your interpretation on your site, and that you do the courtesy of linking to his site.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I know someone who got his break over 10 years ago using Poser 3D models to get his first gig.

At the time, Poser wasn't very well known, and he managed to get a job at a start up company in 2000, and he now currently holds an Art Directors position at a reputable AAA studio.

Karma doesn't always work.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I dunno about you guys...but I always get a kick on finding Art Thieves. At least to laugh on their horrible website design and blatant jackassery.

It is fun. Pity we'll probably never get as much mileage as we did out of that last guy... what was his name again? The guy who 'shopped his face on everything.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Andreas wrote: »
    The guy who 'shopped his face on everything.

Chad Love LiebermaaaAaaaaaaaaaaaN! \o/
    that guys takes the price tbh. He's like the chuck norris of thieves!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    double-facepalm.jpg

Saving this image. Thanks!! :D

EDIT: Oh wait thats "art stealing." xD
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I know someone who got his break over 10 years ago using Poser 3D models to get his first gig.

At the time, Poser wasn't very well known, and he managed to get a job at a start up company in 2000, and he now currently holds an Art Directors position at a reputable AAA studio.

Yep.

I know of someone who, a while back, used others work to get his first job at a really nice studio. The hardest part is breaking in, once that's done, people will only work and progress just enough not to get fired.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12

I'm not sure I get this. He doesn't deserve the job if he is stealing other people's work. He's filling a position (and taking the chance to make a living) that should go to someone who actually made the work they are claiming to have made. Art thieves deserve to be outed.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    dtschultz wrote: »
    I'm not sure I get this. He doesn't deserve the job if he is stealing other people's work. He's filling a position (and taking the chance to make a living) that should go to someone who actually made the work they are claiming to have made. Art thieves deserve to be outed.

It bothers me to think that they would have turned other people away and hired this guy instead.

You would think the clever thing to do would be to remove all traces of your portfolio once you got a job through stolen artwork?

As soon as someone is outed like this it's inevitable that their site will go offline although they seem to forget that the damage is done and the images have been saved locally.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    If he cant keep up he'll be fired soon, no biggy.
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    frell wrote: »

This.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

Or maybe it does, because he now directs versus creates? I had a friend around the same time with getting a job offer because of his bryce and poser work.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »

see dtschultz's post:

this is a very good point. if he fraudulantly got a job based on lies and deception then he doesn't deserve that job, regardless of whether he is going to get fired; maybe he is at work right now lifting art from people to hack together for actual work projects.. this leaves the studio wide open to lawsuits. maybe the studio don't deserve to get closed down because of one little shit?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The biggest issue with "Art Theft" so to speak is where the line in the sand really is. Id say that I have seen several cases of people "borrowing" themes and ideas from other artists that in my opinion is too much, but its very hard to know whether its inspiration or stealing. Id have to agree with previous posters that said that artists that "borrow" ideas no matter how big or small should give credit to the artist that inspired them. That being said all the people that ive seen who have done this are defiantely not going to any time soon.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    scotthomer wrote: »
    Id have to agree with previous posters that said that artists that "borrow" ideas no matter how big or small should give credit to the artist that inspired them.

This is really challenging since as an artist you are constantly inspired by artist around you. You might have seen some element of a piece you liked and you forget about it, and your working and suddenly things click and you do something similar. Its how your mind works, you remember stuff and you constantly use that as your reference. Borrowing ideas is inevitable. I will bet my ass that those ideas ALL artist borrow, have been borrowed from someplace else. These days, especially with the vast internet under our fingertips have become a pool of borrowed ideas.

Nothing is truly original.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Ganemi wrote: »
    It should at least be okay to steal someone's work if you murder him or her first, as long as you are open about it.

You guys are all way too hardline.

Time to setup a hit-list. ;D
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    From Find Law:

"Theft/larceny is typically defined as the taking of almost anything of value without the consent of the owner, with the intent to permanently deprive him or her of the value of the property taken. Most states recognize degrees of theft, such as "grand" or "petty," which usually relate to the value of the property taken."

This is clearly a case of blatant plagiarism, possibly fraud if used to gain employment.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    From Find Law:

"Theft/larceny is typically defined as the taking of almost anything of value without the consent of the owner, with the intent to permanently deprive him or her of the value of the property taken. Most states recognize degrees of theft, such as "grand" or "petty," which usually relate to the value of the property taken."

This is clearly a case of blatant plagiarism, possibly fraud if used to gain employment.

Interesting that you mention fraud.

I wonder if a studio would sue a employee that got hired by having plagiarized work in their portfolio?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Interesting that you mention fraud.

I wonder if a studio would sue a employee that got hired by having plagiarized work in their portfolio?

Lawsuits cost a lot of money, especially with the kind of lawyers big companies hire. Most likely, somebody like that would just be fired and shunned away from the industry.

Google Chris Runyon.