Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arena Net Environment Art Test

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I didn't read through every ones crits but what I can see, I feel like you've missed their style of art a little bit. Yours comes off a bit more photo real with a lot of visual noise like the grain on the bark.

I'm not a particular fan of the roof tiles as well, they feel more like tiles in the shower for some reason. I think it's because of how they're all arranged in perfect rows where as the concept has variance in scale that gives it a really nice hand laid look.

Additionally the underside of the roof shouldn't be showing the tiles. It would be more of a series of planks.

I know the art test specifies it's open to interpretation so I won't mention the door designs and the full Window frame or the trim around the roof. I think if you shoot more towards what the studio is doing already it could increase your chances of being picked up.

Great start though and you're almost done so best of luck on getting accepted!
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    Gannon I actually agree with you on the roof it seemed off to me but I did not really know why until now. Also I do not like the gold detail you put on the door, I personally like the original concept better
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Here are the things that popped out to me.

critsk.jpg

First off, I think if you added an extra layer to some of your foliage, it would look a lot less flat. Literately another four or eight triangles would make it pop!

Second, the roof shingles should not be inside the roof! I think if you replaced that bit with your wood material, it will help accent your colors and shapes a bit better.

I also noticed you had two wooden beams missing on the end of your building. I wasn't sure if you chose not to put them there or missed them, so I added them anyway. I think it helps break up that side of the house personally.

Last but not least, on your door frame specifically, I noticed your wood grain goes against the shape of the door. Even though you're putting a single tiling texture on their, you have to consider the shapes of wood that would actually be used when building the shape. I didn't notice it anywhere else though, so you probably already knew!

Keep it up! I think you have made some amazing progress with it in these last few pages.
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must say i am hugely impressed by what you are doing here Fink. I am entering as well and now know I am going to have to push my textures really far to have a chance. It's good to see what you came up with though and you definitely came up with some unique solutions to problems I encountered. I may end up taking a tiny bit of inspiration from you if that's okay. I am about done with my model and am going to be putting a huge dent in texturing this weekend if you want to check out my thread here.
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Ah thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it. :P I will work on those changes a bit later today after work. I'll keep you guys posted!
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry for the radio silence the last couple days. Here are some updated shots :]

screenshot13sq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

screenshot11l.jpg

screenshot12mf.jpg

• Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    -You should add a layer of dark grime along the bottom of your stucco texture like my paint over, helps give sections of the house a bit more separation and weight
    -Grime a bit more on the stucco as it gets closer to the wood, where dust may have accumulated

What are you taking these screenshots out of? It'd be awesome if you could get it into an engine for AO and SSAO, it would help A LOT.
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    The screen shots are out of the marmoset tool bag. Bought a license a while ago. There are some AO options in it, but it is not as strong as if I were to bake them or something. I don't know. Right now the stucco texture is a rectangular 256x512. It would be hard to get that grime right where I want (by the wood beams) Is there a better way I could be doing this? Thanks man!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    You can add the grime along the base of the texture just fine, but to grime up near the wood, you could use some "decals"

Basically just make a simple plane and put a texture on it that has an alpha map... kind of like adding graffiti except you make a grimey texture with an alpha map on it. Works great for adding grime to very specific areas.

Also, I might be wrong, but are your UVs using the stucco texture stretched? If you're using horizontal texture for it, remember to shrink the UV shell by 50% horizontally so that it is not squished or stretched.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure if it's because of the render, but I see some black outlining going on with your alphas. Looks like the texture map is bleeding past the alpha (your previous post has the moss on a green BG, so I'm not sure). It's noticeable mostly at the base, which looks more like it's with the flowers, than moss.