Home General Discussion

Dead Island

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Striff polycounter lvl 18
So either Steam or Techland released a beta version of the game on Steam to everyone instead of the retail version. It's full of bugs and other junk. This might be one of the funniest videos I have seen of poor game art in a long time...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmZX8iz2SE&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I really hope this is just in the beta version and has been fixed. I have only played it for about an hour so far and I am not really enjoying it.

How can something like this happen in this day and age?

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    what the fuck is up with that weird metal clanging footstep sound also?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    DICE are really going to have to up their game if they want their new animation system to produce results like THAT... I was an aspiring animator until I saw that video; now, I'm too depressed. Why pursue something if you will never reach the heights of animation excellence seen in that video?
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    what the fuck is up with that weird metal clanging footstep sound also?

There must be hatch underneath the ground! Someone call Locke!!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh noes...

is the 3rd person view using the 1st person animations? All the vids I've seen in 1st person had some serious weirdness to the player movement as it was but this... would be interesting to see the vid in co-op mod from another players perspective.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You're not really supposed to see the third-person animations of the first-person game anyways, it works the same in most fps. I heard the PC-version had some bugs yeah.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    well, the video comments say "Yes, yes, I know this is a leaked build and we aren't supposed to do this and all. But that doesn't change that the animations are still hilarious."

so this doesn't represent final play. it's a first person game.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    well, the video comments say "Yes, yes, I know this is a leaked build and we aren't supposed to do this and all. But that doesn't change that the animations are still hilarious."

so this doesn't represent final play. it's a first person game.

Hmm must have been something that was in the accidental release.

Still, it's a steaming pile of poo.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're not really supposed to see the third-person animations of the first-person game anyways, it works the same in most fps. I heard the PC-version had some bugs yeah.

true but as a Co-op game, another player would see these wouldn't they? my experience may be limited, but it seems to me that unless it was a really old beta they'd still be calling the right animations no? I dunno my last to games were sp without a 3rd person option so it never would have come up.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    true but as a Co-op game, another player would see these wouldn't they? my experience may be limited, but it seems to me that unless it was a really old beta they'd still be calling the right animations no? I dunno my last to games were sp without a 3rd person option so it never would have come up.

No, not really. The animation and the character can be tied to the player that plays that character, when playing with others when they see you it's another proper third person properly animated character.

The netcode would allow the other players to see where the other players are, and what they are doing, ideally it also swaps the model for the right one.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff wrote: »
    Hmm must have been something that was in the accidental release.

Still, it's a steaming pile of poo.

Calling a game a steaming pile of poo because of this is just wrong, and shouldn't be done by fellow game-developers. Either it's ignorance or stupidity, maybe even blissful ignorance.

Peoples earnest and hard work went into this. :poly118: So don't say stuff like that.

I'm actually looking forward to playing the game, I think it'll be a diamond in the rough!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well that makes sense, and I've learned something new. Although even in 1st person they're still weird;
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyGMW3-Eg0I&feature=relmfu[/ame]
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well that makes sense, and I've learned something new. Although even in 1st person they're still weird;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyGMW3-Eg0I&feature=relmfu

I guess that's a matter of personal opinion ^^ I do agree that it probably could look better, but I think it's fine the way it is. :)
  • equil
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling a game a steaming pile of poo because of this is just wrong, and shouldn't be done by fellow game-developers. Either it's ignorance or stupidity, maybe even blissful ignorance.

Peoples earnest and hard work went into this. :poly118: So don't say stuff like that.

I'm actually looking forward to playing the game, I think it'll be a diamond in the rough!

Not talking about that bug specifically, but the game in general.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i feel really bad for the guys who worked so hard to get a final version, only to have some broken beta released.. what a fuckup *shakes head*
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    equil wrote: »

It is exactly like that.

I'm suspecting dead island uses a full body model for first person view, so you can see your own legs and such, animations are made especially with first person view in mind, they're not supposed to work or look good in third person, and seperate animations are made for that.

But yes, supposedly the wrong version was pushed to steam.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    such a shame game looked cool.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Its still a blast to play... I can't even imagine when the "full" game is patched. Its a shame but hopefully they learn from this mistake and move on and patch this game up.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Edge gave it a 3/10, and reported that the studio are releasing a day 1 patch with 38 or so bug fixes.

I'll still give it a go and hope for the best, but it's not looking good :(
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Hey don't forget this video. SPOILERS

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny_sAqDPhi8&[/ame]

A no-clip key in by default? What is this, Pie3D?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    this seems a bit unfair, but funny none the less!

On a technical note; if you are fighting the "undead" - who are meant to be dead flesh that is somehow animated by the unknown - why then, if you hack them to bits does blood come pumping out? Surely the body is dead flesh, ergo the heart does not pump.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Huge bummer for all the people that worked so hard on this game, just to have the wrong version released by an incompetent employee somewhere in the chain of command

Hope this game still gets a chance to succeed if the final version deserves it
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    techland published the wrong build on steam, which is now patched to the proper final version. it's still got some bugs, but what can you expect from a smaller, eastern bloc developer.

give the game a chance, it's really awesome.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    the game won't be sold here until 1 day 17 hours, at least in steam europe. I was curious to see this game, but at the end, between all the new games i opted for space marine (x2 copies!).

Hell yeah, i did well!. these kind of things should not happen with a release... i loled so hard with the first video LOL
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Nothing wrong with the first video, she seems to run and fight like every other woman does!

OOOOOOOOOH :poly122:

It is pretty comical though, reminds me of an angry chimpanze...
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    meh, at least Oblivion had a dedicated part of their making of video showing of the imba 3rd person animations. some animator talking about how they studied horses and what not to make it as realistic as possible......then you click the left stick to go to 3rd person, and laugh..a lot

oblivon.. dead island.. same shitty 3rd person animations, not same standard of game and developer
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    meh, at least Oblivion had a dedicated part of their making of video showing of the imba 3rd person animations. some animator talking about how they studied horses and what not to make it as realistic as possible......then you click the left stick to go to 3rd person, and laugh..a lot

oblivon.. dead island.. same shitty 3rd person animations, not same standard of game and developer

Read more than just the first post in the thread, there are technical reasons as to why they look like they do in the video, and why they are first person animations and not third.

The wrong version pushed to steam is the reason people are able to even go into third person with first-person animations still playing, or why they can enter no-clip mode, and why the game is generally reported as broken.
  • ledyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    techland is only the developer of the game, deep silver is the publisher and it is publisher's job to send the final build to STEAM
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    techland published the wrong build on steam, which is now patched to the proper final version. it's still got some bugs, but what can you expect from a smaller, eastern bloc developer.

give the game a chance, it's really awesome.

I can't actually say anything as Techland (but I'm a Techland employee) so as far as I know Techland didn't published anything on Steam, Techland is a developer. It's not my job and I don't have time to explain such an easy things but when I read such a bullshit I just can't stand here and look...

I think there will be official announce about the situation on US Steam, I've seen some news that it is already fixed.

As some people said: yes, it's a big shame to see that all the work is thrown to garbage because of one stupid movie on YT...
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    eld wrote: »
    Read more than just the first post in the thread
    reading more than the first post? you must be kidding me..:poly117:
    but yeah, I just skimmed through most of the rabble, and in general just got a sense of lolz and such..
    eld wrote: »
    third person with first-person animations still playing
    didn't think as far as that 1st person anims were playing in 3rd person. but yeah, obviously its a case of that, just like mirrors edge.

still though, oblivion (and fallout I believe), dat intentional 3rd person animation :poly122:
    I'll be back with my trolls when we have a oblivion/fallout thread instead ;)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    still though, oblivion (and fallout I believe), dat intentional 3rd person animation :poly122:
    I'll be back with my trolls when we have a oblivion/fallout thread instead ;)

That's more valid (except skyrim is better in that department now ;) )
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    better, but far from being up to par.

i mean really... other than just being "huge", what do the elder scrolls games really do well?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Dam they getting trolled hard ;(

Feel for the developers who put blood and sweat in this title, for shit like this to happen :s
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    weird... two of my friends just got this game and absolutely love it. one cant stop talking about it. I think they got it for xbox though.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    I'm downloading it now, looking forward to some co-op zombie smashing myself.

Critiquing the developers on the back of what looks to be the publisher's fuck up is a bit of a harsh call from a group of game dev's though.

Of course, if you've played the correct build and hate it then feel free to post penis tanks and cats. :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like the currect version shipped on Console, the Giantbomb guys love it - breaking the arms on uber zombies so they are just slapping you with wet noodles sounds sweet.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i really hope this doesnt result in dev layoffs though. lack of sales cause of a publisher F up would be very very sad indeed. but as i said,the people i know who got it on console LOVE it. so dont judge it based on the shitty version.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting this on friday for Xbox 360, I shall enjoy the zombie-slaying RPG-goodness.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    i would pay any amount of money to be a fly on the wall in techland right now.

i bought a 4 pack of dead island so i am allowed to be a dick, right?
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    seir wrote: »
    I can't actually say anything as Techland (but I'm a Techland employee) so as far as I know Techland didn't published anything on Steam, Techland is a developer. It's not my job and I don't have time to explain such an easy things but when I read such a bullshit I just can't stand here and look...

I think there will be official announce about the situation on US Steam, I've seen some news that it is already fixed.

As some people said: yes, it's a big shame to see that all the work is thrown to garbage because of one stupid movie on YT...

yeah i'm just repeating some internet rumors claiming that techland sent the wrong version to the publisher, and it makes some sense at a glance. don't mind me! the game has already been patched to the right version so all of this is null and void.

it's a great game, everyone should give it a shot.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having an absolute blast playing this game. Though I want to get to the city parts already and get off of the damn lighthouse areas :P
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Game's amazing thus far.
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to hear that! :)
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After the patch the game is more fun. But there are a lot of things that really bug me. So let me get this straight. I am playing as the black chick, and I have not found any guns in the game so far. I press Z to enter into "rage mode" or whatever the they call it, and all of the sudden she pulls out a gun and I am bustin caps in people. WHERE DID THAT GUN COME FROM! Stupid. I know it might seem like a dumb thing to rant about, but it really kills the realism.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Is anyone playing this on PC? How does the melee combat work on PC w/ the mouse and keyboard?

I've read a lot of people saying the game works better on the 360 with the Analog controls. Can you still target specific bodyparts on the PC version?
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Seems pretty neat, but those Aussie accents are ridiculous...
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Game looks pretty fun, but I'll wait till they get everything fixed and buy it when it's cheap :P
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seir wrote: »
    it's a big shame to see that all the work is thrown to garbage because of one stupid movie on YT...

this isn't actually the case, the gaming places i visit on the web are filled with other complaints, a massively buggy game, saves being corrupted, paths being blocked by randomly spawning vehicles etc.

which is ok i guess but then don't charge full price.
  • Andreas
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »

lol, shoulda kept the original name huh guys, amirite or what, haha high five fuck yeah!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D wrote: »
    this isn't actually the case, the gaming places i visit on the web are filled with other complaints, a massively buggy game, saves being corrupted, paths being blocked by randomly spawning vehicles etc.

which is ok i guess but then don't charge full price.

The whole saving system is broken. I will continue from where I left off and be halfway around the island on a different quest. The game had potential, but in the current state of the PC game it's a bloody mess.