Home General Discussion

Dual monitor color calibration profiles?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I just got a new second monitor but the color on it is tinted slightly blue, and im not sure why. My main display draws colors perfectly but anytime I throw in a second one its always off a bit. Obviously I need to be able to see colors correctly, does anyone know how I can get them running the same colors?

Both at 1600x900
One is HD but im pretty sure that only applies to movies connected via DVI
One is samsung and one is hp connected via hdmi

Im on an ATI 6570

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well it'll be kinda tricky, since they're not the same manufacturer etc etc

tried the Windows 7 Display Calibration tool? It might help you :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    helped a bit but theres still a tiny yellow tint on everything and my second monitor is too dark :(

Why would they make the colors off in the first place... no matter what the brand
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    helped a bit but theres still a tiny yellow tint on everything and my second monitor is too dark :(

Why would they make the colors off in the first place... no matter what the brand

Well, it's the same thing with TV:s, it all depends on the components, to get a really good screen for photography and art you should not buy a cheap one. It's also recommended that you buy two of the same brand.

If your second monitor is too dark , try and figure out if it's the brightness or the gamma. Second check what kind of "user-settings" it uses : "Cold, Warm, Custom etc" Try to make both match up, my bet is that they never really will match up 100% though. =/
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Every panel is different and a monitor's color is constantly shifting. The only way to get accurate results is through a hardware calibration system.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It can even vary with the same brand, out of the box

I had two Samsung monitors, both 22", both the same res, but one just a newer model of the same display and one had a noticably warmer hue, or one had a cooler hue depending how you looked at it. Without a hardware calibrator I could never get it perfect which was annoying.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    pony up a little money for a decent hardware calibrator that has dual monitor support- you won't be sorry that you did.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    It can even vary with the same brand, out of the box

I had two Samsung monitors, both 22", both the same res, but one just a newer model of the same display and one had a noticably warmer hue, or one had a cooler hue depending how you looked at it. Without a hardware calibrator I could never get it perfect which was annoying.

I don't know if I trust Samsung, they really have a lot of different versions of the same models. C, B, A, S-panels etc etc, all different quality panels of the same model for the same price, it drives me crazy.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I don't know if I trust Samsung, they really have a lot of different versions of the same models. C, B, A, S-panels etc etc, all different quality panels of the same model for the same price, it drives me crazy.

Not only that, but they insist on 'developing' those stupid mode settings like 'Movie' or 'Games', and then on another model they're called 'Entertainment' or 'Cool' etc etc
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Don't do it! Leave them different. If you can make something that looks good on both monitors it will look good for most people (unless both of your monitors are way off).

My thought on the subject is that the average person doesn't adjust their monitor, or if they do, they typically adjust them to their personal liking. There is no guarantee that what you see is going to look the same way on someone else’s monitor so I try to factor that into the way I work.

At Work they usually try to calibrate everyone’s monitors. I let them calibrate my viewing monitor but I have them leave my workspace monitor alone. I find that if I can get my art to look acceptable on both that it will usually still look good in the conference room and at home.

- BoBo
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    You should invest into a hardware calibration thing like this one:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-DC-S3X100-Spyder-Express/dp/B0037255LC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315392014&sr=8-2[/ame]

i calibrate all my displays with this one and the results are quite good. of course you cant get more colors out of your display, than it can display, but at least they are more accurate representations.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Don't do it! Leave them different. If you can make something that looks good on both monitors it will look good for most people (unless both of your monitors are way off).

I agree with this sentiment. I always wonder why people go to such lengths to achieve 'correct' color when 99% of end users are probably not going to have corrected their displays anyway. I can understand it if you design for a fixed medium like print, but for digital content, it seems like a wasted effort.

I don't think I've met a single consumer in my life that has calibrated their display properly, so as BoBo said, what you see on your display is likely to be different on practically everyone else's anyway so unless you're working for print or a client who you know has properly calibrated their displays, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master

My thought on the subject is that the average person doesn't adjust their monitor, or if they do, they typically adjust them to their personal liking. There is no guarantee that what you see is going to look the same way on someone else’s monitor so I try to factor that into the way I work.

At Work they usually try to calibrate everyone’s monitors. I let them calibrate my viewing monitor but I have them leave my workspace monitor alone. I find that if I can get my art to look acceptable on both that it will usually still look good in the conference room and at home.

- BoBo
    This is a bad practice. When you produce content you need to be working in an accurate environment in order to minimize the color inaccuracy to the end user.

I put together an image to illustrate what happens:

• Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what alec posted is 100% true. think about it this way: you want people to see a deterioration of the best, not the deterioration of a deterioration.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    BoBo says he makes them look good on both a calibrated and an uncalibrated monitor. So he's actually on two points one being the red dot on that radar diagram which sounds good to me.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well the way i see it, averaging out between an accurate display and a "looks good" display would be more like a dot between the green and red, which means you are still deteriorating from wrong.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I won't pretend to know anything about how these things actually work in terms of color handling so something I've always wondered with this topic in mind is;

If there is such a thing as 'correct color', and all displays can be calibrated to display this, why don't manufacturers make their panels default to 'correct color'?

Or is it that they do, and the environment in which the display is used affects the color (temperature, age of panel, lightness of room etc) and it needs to be calibrated by the end user?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    After giving it a second thought I think you're right Racer445. Better to work with calibrated hardware unless you know what you're doing(I think BoBo does.)

But still I find myself thinking there should be a way to test how the game will look on players' systems. This is mainly because console gamers mostly play on larger displays with longer view distances. It seems inefficient to make this on the artist level. How does large studios manage this kind of stuff? Any ideas?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    With console gamers in mind... can TV's be hardware calibrated? I assume not, although I've seen things like test cards etc for setting up manually, but it still comes down to the users ability to do it properly.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As long as grass looks like grass to the viewer then everything else should look relatively correct
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    The major issue I struggle with when calibrating is the correct luminance.

Most articles/discussion I read state you should be trying ot work with a luminance of 120 cd/m2 but I often find that to be quite dull.(Using an Xrite i1 Pro on a Dell U2410 Monitor btw).

Considering most people won't tweak their screens it I'm concerned a lower luminance could mean blown out images in the general publics screens.

Anyone dealt with this, any suggestions?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Doesn't luminescence also depend on your environment? If you are in a pitch black room the same screen will look completely different in a well lit room with the windows open.