Home General Discussion

ZBrush 4R2 - "Claytime"

Check out the new update guys! It's seriously badass! I cannot wait!!

> http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=157573

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Wow i need this update!

EDIT: thanks for posting!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    awesome, can't wait to use this
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I need this asap! D:
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    That's pretty neat - it certainly mimics more traditional approach to digital sculpting by introducing "topology-stress free" approach! I'll probably find myself using it all the time instead of ZSketch.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    so is this basically integrating a better version of what Sculptris was?
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    so is this basically integrating a better version of what Sculptris was?

Yeah pretty much, that's why Pixologic hired the guy :)
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, looks fun as hell.

September 20th then?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yay, voxel type sculpting is really the way forward for sculpting apps, I'm kind of surprised Pixologic was so quick to integrate it, looks already pretty much as powerful as in 3DCoat.
    Can't wait to give a try!
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Does anyone know the tech behind DynaMesh?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a dream come true. Thank you Pixologic :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    sexay

i guess as said before its pretty much based on sculptris, which i really like its not voxelbased as stuf that untersects still intersects and i don't see them making holes (besides one intersting cut where he split the model, so maybe its doable) in the mesh, i guess its still "only" a dynamic surface no volumes, but still one awesome step forward
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How this is different/better from voxel?
    I wish they showed some wireframes.
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    It looks so great, i really like the new "mesh insert" and removing mesh combined with voxel. It looks more natural and fast than 3d Coat right now.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    really looking forward to this now....when they were just showing render improvements I was a bit "whatever" ....not any more :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh god... i need new pants =x
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yeah this looks like a really good way of jump starting the creation process, no more need to create an even topology on a base mesh for rapid prototyping of a design, awesome!!!
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    A really great addition for ZBrush !
    Can't wait to try this out.
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to jump up and down in subdivisions using this?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    awesome so can we make entire bodys in this like voxel modelling in 3dcoat/sculptris? or is it better for smaller parts? as this seems to focus mostly on just lots of busts
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    So is this similar to what Blender is implementing with "Unlimited Clay"?
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I know the usual workflow is to convert the voxels into a mesh at some point, for example to localize detail (can't do that with voxels, they're always the same size through the model). You're probably gonna have to use some auto remeshing or retopo to do that. Still, it gives more freedom compared to building a zsphere armature or using an external modeling app.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Looks sweet! looking forward to test it out :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Pretty damn sick!

Would have liked to have seen how much more this can do with more exploration into concepting an overall form because i seriously kept thinking 'stop f-king with the face already'. not expecting a complete buildout of a form but how far it could be pushed; promotional material or not.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I agree on the "too much time on weird alien busts" and not enough time of experimenting on what it can do outside of half a biped and a bunch of random bust sculpts.

Either way, I'm pretty excited to try this out soon, and hopefully there's going to be a lot of people beta testing it again that share their awesome tips and tricks (my favorite part of ZBrush releases)
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    looks like fun, but like the rest I wonder if you'll be able to use it to do much more that mes about
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Bonebrew22: i thought the trim brushes and shadowbox were useless features too...until I saw Eat3d's Hard Surfaces dvd :)
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    true :P
    I mean it looks like a great workflow, but after "Unlimited Detail" I'm just afraid of voxels
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voxel's themselves are not the bad guys, its the way euchleodion tried to market them that brings the whole voxels in a dim light.

Im looking forward to this, Especially for details on armor or something, maybe so that you dont get too much of a bloody headahce sculpting a chip on it.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Ace! I've been waiting for this feature ever since Pixologic hired the creator of sculptris! Dynamic tessalation for the win!
    But agreed with Firebert, I would have loved it if he took those shapes a bit more extreme.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Just think, no base mesh's.

Though i have to ask, Whats the poly count on one of those busts hes throwing out :S It would be in the millions' for him to get such smooth shit going on.

Could that be the reason he didn't want to do anything extreme? or am i just fear mongering over nothing xD
  • Emperors Teeth
    Man... that makes me so happy. I never got the hang of sculpting the zbrush way. this makes the whole process look so much more natural. Clay I can do!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Verrrrrry sweet! Cannot wait!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    greevar wrote: »
    So is this similar to what Blender is implementing with "Unlimited Clay"?

Unlimited clay is based off the ideas presented by Sculptris. Pixologic hired the guy who made Sculptris, took his already working dynamic tessellation engine, and refined it.
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    From what I have seen at Siggraph, this is a bit different than Sculptris. For one you are using quads only and the resulting topology is very similar to the one you get using Unified Skin (when you work with ShadowBox or ZSketch). Then this is not exactly dynamic tesselation either as when you are in Dynamesh mode (in the subtool palet), you need to CLTR+drag&drop on the canvas to remesh you model (still super fast and you couldn't see any progress bar during the demo).
    You define the density of your mesh but putting a maximum polycount for your dynamesh from what I recall. That means that if you want something pretty dense for details, it gets tricky to work with some tools like the move brush to adjust proportions for example, as there is no levels of subdiv anymore.

You can use the insert mesh brush in additive or substractive to do boolean operations.

20 more days of wait to try this out :)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    So you can't use a base mesh with this? Cause I really want to be able to have this ability while designing my creatures. It'd be amazing if, while designing a creature, I felt it needed an arm coming out of his back, and could just pull it out of the mesh like this. Instead of going back, and adding that into the base mesh in max, and going through all that bs.

If they could make that possible, I'd be VERY happy. If they're just gonna relegate this to a sphere, that's gonna be pretty sad. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not saying it's a sad tool, just I was hoping I could use it on any mesh I throw into ZB
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    It'd be amazing if, while designing a creature, I felt it needed an arm coming out of his back, and could just pull it out of the mesh like this. Instead of going back, and adding that into the base mesh in max, and going through all that bs.
    ZB

Totally agree man, I would love to see something like this added! That would really add a new level of freedom to ZB sculpting :D
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    I think you can use any mesh you want since the dynamesh mode was in the subtool palet. It's just that after remeshing it, you get that very dense topology that is great for clay sculpting (with trim dynamic, clay tubes, clip brushes etc...), but from what I understood you lose all your levels of subdiv. You can of course add some more, but your level 1 will still be very dense.
    Just think of Shadow box and the meshes it generates and you get a pretty good idea of what a dynamesh is, in term of topology. It's still a mesh made of quads and if you use the move brush too much, you will still get these ugly stretches. But as soon as you drag&drop on the canvas, dynamesh reproject all your sculpt on a new mesh that has a more uniform topology.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Goldo - thats exactly what I thought it was :D So, big news everyone, no need to wait for the upgrade, just do this :

Start from anything you want > use the move tool to "extrude" a limb > remesh all > select newly created skin mesh > reproject all, and voila! Exactly the same result :)
    (its great to have a shortcut for that tho. Which is exactly what Claytime seems to be!)

Remesh and Reproject are extremely powerful Zbrush features, I am always surprised to see them used so little.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just think, no base mesh's.

Though i have to ask, Whats the poly count on one of those busts hes throwing out :S It would be in the millions' for him to get such smooth shit going on.

Could that be the reason he didn't want to do anything extreme? or am i just fear mongering over nothing xD

I think what it does is dynamically re-mesh after density. Think of dynamesh as a marriage between the surface of that of zsketch with the voxel displacement and on the fly subdivision of sculptris. If that speculation turns out to be right, then you would control how dense your mesh is by how sharp you make your angles and how many you make of them.
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Pior, that's exactly how it was presented to me by a beta tester before I saw it in action :) It's still a pretty cool feature and they added some sliders to control how sharp the edges can be (not sure if this was just the equivalent of the Polish option for Remesh All though).
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    That's a bit disappointing Goldo, I was really hoping for actual voxel sculpting like in 3DCoat... Oh well still looks interesting, will see how it goes.
  • Acr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    From what I know. It is amazing for, as the video shows, quick exploration of shapes and ideas. There is no dynamic tess. Re-meshing it gives a very high base mesh.

It's great for prototyping, but i don't think you could use it as a base for your final production model, I am told people just redo their low based off of what they come up with in dynamesh
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Nice to see that they've made used of the sculptris tech. this looks damn amazing.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Check out the new update guys! It's seriously badass! I cannot wait!!

> http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=157573

So finally they did what was expected. Copied Sculptris coding and pasted in to the up coming update called Zbrush 4 R2 "Clay time."

Who gives a damn tho, they do own Sculptirs now, so hay, I am excited. :)

Waiting for Sept 20th.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    This update looks sweet. I'm falling in love with ZBrush at the moment. I'm using it at work alot, so I'm getting my head around it after all these years of sparatic use.

I'm very likely to buy Zbrush sometime in the next year.. Do you guys think Zbrush will increase in price when this update is released? Apparently it's increased in price with every update.. If that's the case I should probbably get in quick. :/
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Cant wait to get my hands on this, it will get me back to creating lots of quick sculpts just for fun. :)
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think the price will jump with this update since they aren't announcing it as a 4.5 or anything. I think this is just one of the free updates they do along the life of the current version. I could be wrong though.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    http://www.vimeo.com/28449548

No need to wait! It's here already (got to say I cannot wait to see the new one-click solution in action tho)
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    pior wrote: »
    http://www.vimeo.com/28449548

No need to wait! It's here already (got to say I cannot wait to see the new one-click solution in action tho)
    Thats not a fluid workflow! :P Also, reproject is quite dirty. Reprojecting something like a ear on it, like in the video, would not really work.