Home General Discussion

ZBrush 4R2 - "Claytime"

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well one could argue that the time spent reprojecting stuff is actually something like 0.1% of the total sculpting time ... once you have 4 limbs extruded theres no real need to reproject anything anymore, I think!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    hehe, It's cool you sorted that out Pior-remeshing and reprojecting has been a great feature if you really needed to fix some jacked up geometry. However, in a quick concepting or base mesh stage of a sculpt I'd rather use Zspheres/sketch. It does remind me of how GoZ was just a far more optimised version of exporting low res obj-reimport-reproject, the option was always there they just made it better. I am definitely looking forward to running R2 through its paces, if its as smooth as it looks, I'll be in love.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    not to derail but going slightly off topic. it's a real damn shame nevercenter didn't push their sculpting feature further. for years now they've had a fundamental edge over all the other paradigms. that you can step up in res and sculpt. step down and make topo changes on the fly with the full suite of poly editng tools right there in the same environment. working the concept and final geo up in tandem. bouncing back and forth between apps with GoZ or the mudbox equivalent is a weak hack by comparison

the method lacks the absolute gooey freeform approach of voxels of course. but if the end result needs to be a proper retopo'ed mesh ( which in most cases it would be ) they have the perfect scheme in place and have done for the longest time. well. in theory at least
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, I'd say it's still more common to start with a 2D sketch before moving into 3D so complete freeform sculpting isn't that crucial. As fast as you can work in Zbrush or so, it's still faster to grab a pencil and a sheet of paper.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Varg, I agree 100%. And the time spent extruding alien fins and tentacles will most likely be longer than what it would take to nail a solid silhouette thumbnail in 2D...

Tacit, have you used that method extensively in the past ? And, did the details from the sculpted mesh remain after stepping down, editing the geo, and going back up ?

Might pick up Silo again ...

P
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    i can't even remember sorry pior. likely had more than a few kinks but the theory's all in place. yeah. huge lapse on their part to not have capitalized on it with focused dev and marketing i feel

i'm totally with you in support of remeshing too ( in zb ). if they could improve the quality / accuracy of the generated mesh at lower resolutions i'd be stoked
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Hmm, I imagine a lot of new workflow improvements from this tech. I mean you could kitbash whole characters, put in a ear there a already detailed arm there! You could even kitbash hard surface things in it that you have modelled in a different programm! Sure if you already have a solid concept then heavy iteration makes no sense. I personally like to play around a lot in zbrush, and if the tech allows me to do that fluidly without any barriers then thats pretty awesome to me! Concept Sculpts are also a different world then sketched concepts ...concept sculpts have also their advantages. :)
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Crazy,,i watched it twice in a row lol