Home Technical Talk

Help me convince my brother

Replies

• Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to be all over xp's dick. Based on my experiences with xp 64 I personally would take windows 7 over it.

I currently run xp 64 and some of the issues I've had:

Several programs/software don't work (even the alternatives don't work)
    for quick time, msn messenger, and some of my accessories.
    If I need to use any of these I have to use my fiances (win 7) computer.

I get on average 2 bsods a month.
    About once in every 6 months I get a bsod that requires 'repair' attention. (either a couple hours to fix, or a repair install of the os)

I have a hand full of windows updates that will not install, and until I fuck around with the registry's they will never install.

I have games I purchased that are not compatible (are only compatible with 32 bit, not 64).

I wanted xp because I felt I new my way around it well. If I knew all this before purchasing xp64 i would have waited the month for win7 to release and gotten it instead.

worse case - your brother wont build it, take the case and mother board to a comp shop and pay the 30 bucks for them to put it together (thats imo the hardest part of building a comp) and then put the rest together yours self. (the rest is pretty easy, and google can spoon feed you anything.)

Some people have good xp64 experiences. I wasnt one of them. It still runs so i cant complain, but every time I have to trouble shoot, or want to use something non compatible I feel like punching babies in the face.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Buy" Xp and then then "legally" download Win 7 x64.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Visceral wrote: »

Yup and go steal a few games while your at it.

Smooth.

neeter: just learn to assemble the stuff yourself. a retard could do it these days. Its like fitting lego together. The harder part is choosing good components which you seem to have done.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14

If you're a student Windows 7 costs like 30$ :/ Check with your school and you might get it for like 10$ so really theres no reason to pirate it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're a student Windows 7 costs like 30$ :/ Check with your school and you might get it for like 10$ so really theres no reason to pirate it.

Yeah, my wife is going to the university of Iowa, and we picked up a copy of Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit from the university store for $7.... Seven dollars.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12

Wow, I would be having a field day with you if I was a lawyer or MS chaser. Honestly, not only do you have your country written down, but also your PSN ID, meaning a simple email with mention of illicit activity is all I need to get you through proper channels.

Honestly, take care what you, especially when your have little bits of information which could very easily lead back to you and in an industry where people know each other.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok well he abandoned me. Guess its for the best. I asked him while he was installing parts how he knew what he was doing and he said he trial-and-error'ed it. Instills a lot of confidence.

Anyways it looks like everything is hooked up fine. I power up and it works, fans all running and stuff. I put in my install dvd and turn it off then on again. My screen goes black and then a little flickering type tool comes up, the |

I let it run for a bit and after like 5 seconds there is a very loud humming noise. as far as i can tell it's coming from the brand new powersupply

What do you think is wrong guys?
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Wrath wrote: »
    Why not NT? That was a great outdated OS as well.

I propose to use DOS....can't go wrong!! :poly142:
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    Ok well he abandoned me. Guess its for the best. I asked him while he was installing parts how he knew what he was doing and he said he trial-and-error'ed it. Instills a lot of confidence.

Anyways it looks like everything is hooked up fine. I power up and it works, fans all running and stuff. I put in my install dvd and turn it off then on again. My screen goes black and then a little flickering type tool comes up, the |

I let it run for a bit and after like 5 seconds there is a very loud humming noise. as far as i can tell it's coming from the brand new powersupply

What do you think is wrong guys?
    Sounds like its the power supply... Does it sound like a fan or like something is overloaded like a capacitor and is about to explode? Depending on the unit and how the fan is built you might be able to disconnect the fan, or block it, and turn it on and see if its coming from the fan.

It might also be the PSU vibrating, if its not tightened down or if it came with rubber noise dampening brackets that weren't installed that might be the source of some humming.

Of course having someone questionable put something together is... kind of paints just about everything as suspect... Hopefully he didn't screw anything up with the trail and error... It's always better to research and know rather than just plug and play around, at least not with an important machine.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a person who has LOVED xp and HATED vista and wouldn't touch THAT,

I can tell you, your brother is a herbert.

Because I used Win7 and fell in LOVE with it.

I then went back to XP machine, and now I miss 7, and will be putting 7 on this very soon.

Vista was crap. 7 is the BEST windows ever made, for A LOT of reasons, not the least of which is the advanced window management capabilities (drag to top or side to frame up or maximize windows, task buttons instead of bars, etc).

8 will probably suck.

7 is the one, and your brother, tell him to stop being a Herbert Sherman.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well an interesting turn of events

I called a pc fix it place and got a quote to make it run and install win7. I was out the door with the tower in my arms when my father and brother confronted me. my father promised to disown me if I left him. He said he made all these efforts to convince my bro to help me but you can't convince my brother of anything. he is more stubborn than 20 jackasses. since i don't want to be disowned i went back in the house and my brother said he'd make my computer run and then install xp. i told the two i was tricked and feel super pissed. my bro told me he'd make it run an install xp and once it all worked fine he'd wipe it and install win7. i argued why not just install win7 and forget all about xp? My father supports my brother and my mother wants nothing to do with this conflict. so i'm getting F'ed again and I have no where to go.

This seriously damages my relationship with my brother. he always has to play his little games, his powerplays. i never loved my brother, this seals the deal. it's just that he never thinks about others concerns, ever. that's just how he is, selfish.

god i can understand murder a lot more now.

i think i'm gonna go to the gym and blow off some steam while they try to unfuck the situation
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Let him install xp then.
    Give it a BSOD screen saver while you are at it.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    This is the best soap opera. A father threatening to disown his son over which operating system, and an evil genius brother.
  • Zakk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zakk polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that your PC is probably not your biggest problem at the moment. Seriously what the hell is wrong with your brother?

Anyway, Lifehacker has this pretty good guide for beginners, on putting your PC together.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just install Win7 later on (the upgrade process is pretty painless, follow the instructions on the screen type painless) and disable Aero.

If he asks you anything, just tell him you were forced to update, because recently, Autodesk released a Hotfix for Maya/Max and Mudbox to take out a bug which caused a corruption of the backup files, but in the process, had to take out the 'old' Ribbon UI's which allowed it work correctly with XP.

Also, tell him some people have work to do, not take trips down Nostalgia lane with their elitism.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    not trying to put anyone down but i don't think your brothers opinion things counts too much, so he`s over 26 years old, and has never worked a day in his life.

a computer is a tool and it needs to just work regardless of opinions on how it should run.

also how the hell does someone make it past there 20`s without having a job, and still have the means to live.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah he's not easy to deal with. This is just an example of him.
    He said it'd take 2 days to test and fix. I don't go back to school till the 31st so there's no huge rush but he's a huge procrastinator so I'm worried about that. I mean we can't agree what color shit is.

Oh and your link,
    2zfo0au.png

blankness
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Your brother reminds me of quite a few Linux users on their high horses, lol.
    But yeah as Quake and probably others have said; it's your computer, do what you want.
    Who cares if he won't talk on a technological basis, it's just another pain off your ass and I wouldn't really take his advice seriously anyway.
  • Ace-Angel
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok links now work. will give it read

--

small update in the drama

I went to the grocery store b/c i'm the family go-fer and when I came back I see him playing around on the computer. I asked him what is he doing and he says the hardware works fine and xp installed just fine. I ask him what he is doing again. he asks me to install the graphical drivers and i tell him [like i've said 20 times] that i plan to go back to college on the 31st and wipe it and install win7. he again asks me to install the drivers. i tell him if i was a less civil man i would beat the shit out of him but i do not possess hardly any physical anger. like i could see myself killing 20 people with like a gun but i don't like the idea of physical contact like strangling someone.

i'm going to let him install whatever he wants and when i go to school i'll wipe it and install 7. it's just another dumb game he's playing.

i told him it's like building a sandcastle knowing that in a few minutes will be washed away by a wave. he keeps building his castle... stupid much?

now i just worry he will do something to the computer [like stick a magnet on my drives] just to spite me. i told my mother this and she assures me [she bet her life on it] that he would never do that. i wouldn't put it past him at all.
  • NinthJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude no offense but your family is messed up.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    win7 was the best jump i ever made. I also teach Computer Repair classes at a community college I cannot tell you how many people i get that have a natural Stigma toward a new OS. It usually has to do with misinformation and fear. Once you get the facts straight it really is an easy decision
  • ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    I am getting this odd feeling of getting trolled :/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    like i could see myself killing 20 people with like a gun but i don't like the idea of physical contact like strangling someone.

what

the

fuck
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Argument 1:

Who paid for the hardware? if you did, there is no argument needed, you own it, you can do whatever you want with it. If he wants XP so bad, he can buy his own computer and install it as many times as he wants. That right there ends the discussion.

Argument 2:

Hardware and driver support.

When a new hardware generation is released and it also happens there is a new OS, you should take advantage of that, there is usually better support from the manufacturer and OS optimization. If you happen to be using a SSD, your performance will already be better by installing Win7 just because it was optimized for it, something XP can't compete with. Just like it's predecessors, XP will stop being supported and thrown away.

Argument 3:
    His paranoia about performance drop due to ressource hungry OS is irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure he's thinking like in the old days...

Back when windows 95 needed a shitload of ram to operate properly (which by today's standards is laughable), a whole generation of computers wasnt ready for that and RAM cost a lot more back then. Same thing happened when XP was released, if your computer was a dinosaur it would crawl to its knees when using XP, my friends and myself we still used win2k because we couldnt afford a decent machine.

Those days are long gone and you are using recent hardware, end of discussion...again
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it really doesn't matter if it's XP or win7 imo. CG applications work fine. if the machine is intended for content creation and not playing games with some very recent feature required or perhaps fooling around with the latest graphics demos then both will do the job (in my experience).

if there's already XP on it then just go and use the damn thing already. :)

still, such a brother could do with a slap or two.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    what

the

fuck

This honestly. lmao
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    ZeroCartin wrote: »
    I am getting this odd feeling of getting trolled :/

This. Seriously, what the fuck is this soap opera shit?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    what

the

fuck

• Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

like i could see myself killing 20 people with like a gun but i don't like the idea of physical contact like strangling someone.

sounds like someone needs to go play through Manhunt one more time.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you should be the bigger man and cool the whole thing down. I don't get on with my brother but we still go out for a drink now and then.
    blood is thicker than operating systems:)
    I am not saying you are in the wrong here though, just that you have to learn to handle awkward people in life.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Now that you're left with a giant technological monster that is spinning dangerously out of balance inches from your head, you need to learn how to tame it. To get over your fear of the hardware, over the next 6mo-1yr, you should buy some of the cheapest PC parts you can find and cobble a system together yourself. Don't spend more than 500 and try your hardest to fuck it up at every turn, learn what you need to and don't be afraid to mess things up (this is why every ones first car is going to be a beater...) If you run into something you don't know how to do or the manual doesn't cover use the computer your brother build to google an answer. Yep its that easy...

this paragraph is so friggin true it's unreal.

a friend of mine built a machine not too long ago (9 months i think). i've been building them since i was 16, so almost 10 years... and when i got a phonecall from him saying "man the computer won't even turn on, i don't know what's wrong with it.. it's not even beeping".

"open the case"
    "okay"
    "is the little round battery in?"
    "yes"
    "there should be a 3 pin jumper next to it, with two of them covered"
    "nope"
    "nope what?"
    "it's not covered"
    "okay that's what's wrong, either find the jumper you lost, or take it off your old motherboard"
    "okay.... oh cool it's working, thanks!"

tech knowledge is just one of those things that like... you pick up really fast, and it sticks in your memory because it's just so easy. hell, even my 12 year old kid could put together a pc if i threw all the components at him.
    in fact, i think i might just do that after christmas, for shits and giggles!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    resolved

i killed him
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pictures or it didn't happen!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Am I the only one surprised that a ridiculous topic like this got 4 pages of responses?
    Seriously. :whyme:
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    resolved

i killed him

Hope you get locked away for it too
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message