Home General Discussion

When the hell did you know?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
Alright, not sure if this has ever been posted before, but why not.

When did you know that you wanted to work in games? Did it just happen? Transition from another field? God told you to?

:)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I stumbled onto polycount drunk one night...
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I turned 20 and had no other marketable skills.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    I told God, he made it so..and here we are
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    It was suggested to me as I was thinking about wtf to do after A-levels, as the only sort of interest I had at the time was making levels in Hammer Editor.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    I was an artistic person since childhood. I used to play games 12 hours a day. I studied computers because I like games. It was too technical and dry for me (Systems Admin/Engineer). I stumbled upon ZBrush one day. And the journey has begun!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felt natural. I was a big gamer as a kid, loved to draw...my dream jobs as a kid were artist, and architect (paleontologist too...but I got over that). Had some drafting classes in middle school...which carried me into taking Auto CAD classes in high school...and in my school, after completing 2 years of Auto CAD they sit you down with a copy of 3dsMax and have you learn modeling/animation. So once I got my hands on that I knew what I wanted to do.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Since i can remember.... FF cinematics always inspired me to get into video games, and make my own changes. My dad is an architect, so i was always around art as well... the rest is history.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    until I hit highschool and got the chance to learn 3ds max I wanted to be a marine biologist. When I was in highschool my 3D teacher's former students had a reputation for being employable right outta school and I saw it as an opportunity to learn to make games and not have to pay for post secondary. just kinda followed that route into the industry.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    When I was six, I came across Street Fighter II on the SNES. That was it for me.
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
    Started thinking about it in highschool. Took a couple comp sci classes my first year of college because I wanted to make the big bucks and thought maybe I could do games on the side. Decided I hated it while I loved the 1 art class I took that year. Transferred to a community college to do 3d stuff. Didn't really decide on doing movies or games or whatever for sure until probably a year into that program. Chose games over everything else mostly because of the interactivity aspect and because the industry is still young so I feel there's much more to be discovered.

[edit] Plus I love games of course! :P
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    My dad bought me a super nintendo one day, as a surprise. BEST FUCKING DAY EVER.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    When I first started playing Sonic the Hedgehog 3 all I could think was I wanted to just play video games all day everyday forever.

But once I played the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, I knew I wanted nothing more than to craft beautiful worlds for people to lose themselves in.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Shadow of the Colossus.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I draw a lot since my really early ages.My first real-game i fell in love was HL.My whole life was became this,even I couldn't stop thinking about that.Then I thought how it would be cool if I can play my own adventures.Also I have a background behind this thought.When I'm a child I were organizing the kids around me to join my dreaming games.Time travels,car races,weapon combats out of nothing and so on.Once I made some WW1 like planes and spaceships by a shoebox without using any glue and plastic tape.Another example is I was prefered to build sand castles rather then swim into the water.I still got some freakin detailed drawings of a city plan which takes 2squaremeter of paper I drew when I was child.so on so on.

Yeah I was a weird child.But I'm not the resuming of that child.My parents were worried about me because they tought I could not become a doctor or lawyer or a governor type of people in the future.I had to went to psyhologist for just I'm doing those so called dangerous stuff.Misleaded,abused and forced to become to another personality.Yey I was a child,how do I knew that.But in my life I was always knew there's something wrong and uninteresting.Their plan was blew very badly when things go more seriously when I grew up.I were still loving the create something..

And then I tried to change my life which was going to the compeletely different route then I wanted.It was too late to change most of things.My attempt to change my life was caused to lose my years and years and also the reaction from the society was very abrasive.Absolute bottom point I had so far.I was searched a way to get out that mood.Then I thought It's posibble to make my child dreams real,despite everyone told me opposite.So I were super stoked to learn this shit whatever it costs.Searched for the data about how to make games.Hopefully I got enough vision to avoid those 'game-maker' thingies.Actually I wanted to make 'art' as I unintentionally made them before.And also there was a language barrier that I had to pass through.
    Then I were get into the game-art.But that was happened at the time when I jaded from everything in the life.That made me love the game-art even more and I felt like I'm in the right track.I am a laid-back person with very low self-esteem.I'm really picky when It comes to the inspiration.My ultimate problem is that I can't manage myself to actually finish something.

I'm sad about my lost potential.I'm sure I have never seen a child like him.I realized my organic connection between him was mostly interrupted.Wished to know what would be happens If everything has gone to its 'normal' route.

Sry for the long post but I have to write this in order to explain my reasons to get into the game-art.I was always tend to create something suitable to the game creation.Even before I met the computer!Not other cg stuff,only games!
    For me game-art IS the best thing ever I can do.If I don't do that I might go nuts!
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Strange but I myself can't even remember when "decided" I wanted to do it.

I have memories of wanting to be a cop or something generic like that from when I was a small kid. I've been drawing since as far back as I can remember (like probably all of you). Though I just kind of knew I wanted to work in games, like sort of by default. I didn't even play many games growing up, as we were very poor (I did play Sonic on Genesis and Saturn a few times though!), so games themselves weren't a large enough influence until later on in my teenage years.

I didn't do any art in high school, but went on to study game art (not design unfortunately) and blah blah blah, now I work in games.

Crazy.
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved gaming since I was a little kid playing Defender on the Atari. Owned an NES, then an SNES. I did a lot of drawing too growing up, anything from game characters to comic book heroes. Instead of getting the next console generation, my fam got a Compaq Presario all in one media PC, and I came upon a game called Doom.
    Fell in love with id games, played all of them. The original Quake is what got me interested in the game industry; I messed around with an editor called Qoole, then led me to QRadient... the rest is history :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Playing super mario brothers. The idea of moving characters on my screen intrigued me. Did Basic programming for like couple of years (yay for text adventures) then moved from that to turing, java, C++ etc though I always had a passion for art.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ever since warcraft 3... the cinematics made me wanna be an animator for game cinematics. got a job animating right now... still climbing the ladder to get to cinematics though
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    once i found out that my childhood dream of being a firetruck or a dinosaur wasn't going to happen so i decided to make games since all they do is hit buttons all day and sit.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I looked like this when it happened:

baby-names-baby-in-towel(2).jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Turns out dick tastes terrible and I've got very few marketable skills beyond that, so I decided to try videogames :D

When I was in kindergarten I wanted to make Nintendo games. For me it wasn't an issue of figuring out what I wanted to do, it was fighting the constant belief that it wasn't something I could do, and losing sight of the dream.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I was an artistic person since childhood. I used to play games 12 hours a day. I studied computers because I like games. It was too technical and dry for me (Systems Admin/Engineer). I stumbled upon ZBrush one day. And the journey has begun!

pretty much same story here.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Final Fantasy VII made me reconsider how story telling can be told through games and made me consider that games can in fact, be art. I always wanted to be in games but never knew how to do it...until 2004 when my friend sent me a link to Ai telling me she wanted to go there with animation..so I enrolled. And Here I am! Working on my second title. =D
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize it.

I loved games when I was younger, I used my allowance to buy level design books for duke nukem 3d and Doom when I was 12/13 yrs old. I worked on quake mods, and half-life mods, etc. Started learning to model when I was a freshman in high school, even saved up money from a summer job to take community college classes and learn more about modeling. It was great fun but never, not once, did it occur to me that I could this for a living.

I was out of high school for like 2 years and I thought I wanted to work in web design, 3d movies, or architecture or something. I took some classes at different schools but wasn't really enjoying it or going anywhere.

I was playing Halo with my Uncle and we started talking about gametypes and the design of the game. After bitching a bunch about little things I didn't like and how I would do it differently, he asked me "Why don't you do this...you know, for a living?"

The rest, as they say, is history.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    When did you know that you wanted to work in games?
    When I got my first paycheck.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Im a artist, not a gamer, so, to me, it just fit my art style and I went for it.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I've been interested in art my whole life but it never seemed like a good idea to pursue the career of an artist.

My interest for creating artwork for games came from when I got my hands on Deluxe Paint on the Amiga.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It was always the dream, but never the plan.

In early high school I started to get very much into traditional art and got my first pc and spent all of my time in photoshop. Being a gamer, naturally, I thought game art would be an ideal route but not one I could achieve (school being too expensive, people naysaying it, not knowing of polycount or where to get started with 3d) so I was going to be a graphic designer or go for an art degree; something that I already had some skills in. Through a string of coincidences I ended up going to game art school and I put everything I had into learning/improving and still do.
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was 7, I got Secret of Mana on SNES, and I would copy the pictures of the characters from the instruction manual. I remember sitting in school, trying to draw all the weapons in the game from memory. My first job I ever dreamed of having was to be a concept artist for Squaresoft.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Quake 3 Arena made me do It!
    11-12 years ago, I was like I'd love to make my own skin/texture for this game then It was I would love to make my own character for this game, light bulb! Found PC downloadable models to add into Quake 3, then clicked forums and stuck here ever since.

PC is a black & green hole, beware the void! ;)
    I've never been the same since... lol
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    Once I learned how to use 3ds Max. At that time, you know you're ready for a new journey.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    When FF cinematics blew my mind (specifically FFX) and I thought, holy shiiiit this is the most beautiful amazing thing ever... ever! I must try to one day have a chance to do something... even close... to this awesome!! (This is how I must have sounded at 16)

Inicidentally, FFVI was the game that turned me into a gamer. I suppose I have Square to thank for a lot of how my life has turned out...
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i was never impressed with art in games, and i thought i could do better, so i started making some skins for various games and eventually started posting over here. i knew i wanted to do game art for a living after i got a job offer at a well known AAA studio when i was 15.

who knows, maybe these years will finally be worth it one day.
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
    As a kid I used to draw on anything, the school desks was particular popular. And I loved video games since I was 4-5. When I was 12-13 a friend introduced me to Click & Play and I was stuck. Used it for years, created the awesome "Star Wars: Rebel Rampage" game with tons of custom art, Stormtrooper walkcycles, X-Wings, TIE fighters, epic space battles etc. Everything got erased following a PC crash and only close friends got a glimpse of the game, sad times.

Took a few years though till I realized I could actually make a living out of it
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much similar to everyone else. I enjoyed alot of super mario secret of mana, and star wars actually, and liked to draw alot of those stuff. I never planned to be in the 3D animation/art part of the industry, but when i saw the sweet stuff shown during my first 3d lesson at uni, i decided to go for it.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I always wanted to make games, but I seriously lost interest when the first 3D games appeared. I grew up on Monkey Island, Lucas and Sierra Adventures and loved the hand painted art and early 3D graphics just looked terrible to me.
    I aimed for the movie industry then, after seeing Toy Story, Titanic, etc. I just came back to games when I needed another job after my first film gig.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    For me it was the only real field that seemed to make sense. I originally wanted to do 3d animation for films, because games didn't have 3d hardware and I loved the 3d space.

Made a very clunky megaman X and Samus out of deformed primitives, textured with flat color phong or procedural materials.
    While in my local college's animation program someone showed me you could make models for Q2 using lightwave via some program that was being sold for $20, since LW at that point didn't have UV mapping capability. Found polycount around that time also. Didn't actually get that program, but tried learning 3ds max, which had all the tools for games then. Hated it. R2.5 and R3 sucked for usability, especially to a 16yr old who came from a lightwave and autocad background.

Also around this time, and in the earlier years, I got into learning some programming skills, since the one-man-team or multiple jacks of all trades was the order of day for PC games as I understood it. Found I was decent with the code too..

So, the only field I know of that marries artistic sense with engineering is the game industry.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Lots of things inspired me along the way - games, designers and artists. When I finally started messing around with modeling in '98 I was doing custom weapon models for (then beta 3) CounterStrike. My first model was a modified MP5. I had botched the bone/vertex assignments so the model was floating about 5ft in front of me and the hands were warped around gun, but it was SO DAMN COOL to see something I created in a game. It just went on from there.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    I came out of the TA (Territorial Army) and had nothing to do (I was a qualified plasterer but no work available) So thought meh, I like games, I'll go to college and see what I can do, and I just 'got it'. Understood everything and loved it.

2 years down the line here I am in a game studio telling you how I got here :)
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    a Strategy game from Charybdis called Machines: Wired for War
    made me interested in 2d and 3D.My interest in art raised a lot after that and hopefully my interest in art will never stop.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    For me it was when i was around 17-18.. I was studying Network Engineering and Telecommunications.. And guess what? I didnt like it! :D
    So I started looking up what kinds of jobs exist in CG related industries (with focus on the Game industry) . I saw 3D animator and looked up what stuff involves being that.. I then thought: "moaaar". So, i started studying 3D Arts. And now here we are :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Originally, I wanted to be a 3D artist for pre-rendered stuff - movies and the like.

Randomly stumbled onto a Half-Life 2 mod called Hull-Breach and joined the team 'cause Kai's concept art was awesome.

Suddenly realised there were actual people out there with actual jobs making games - which is way cooler than this pre-rendered nonsense - and that with some hard work I could be one of them.

Now I am.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Racer445 wrote: »
    i was never impressed with art in games, and i thought i could do better.

Nice ego mate!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Playing Banjo-Kazooie back in 1998. I remember exactly where in the game, i said to myself : that's what i want to do. I really like Rare stuff.
    I'm more in "serious" game industry now though.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    I don't know yet, i still have to experience my first crunch period ...
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    At 7-8 years old while playing on deluxe paint on amiga.
    Then I though that it would be wiser to chose a "standard" job, but I've end up as 3d artist in pre-render production so I just made a step into video game O.o.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I take my answer back, I wanted to get into games when I realized it impresses babes.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I take my answer back, I wanted to get into games when I realized it impresses babes.

It does?
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    [HP] wrote: »
    It does?

not really