Home General Discussion

When the hell did you know?

Replies

• Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    I originally wanted to work in film. A teacher forced me to take a class in college on game asset modeling and texturing. It frustrated me to no end, lost tons of sleep over it, and it drove me partially insane. I changed majors and I've been obsessed with game art ever since.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ff9 and legend of the dragoon made me do it.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    I never owned a console growing up, but i loved tinkering around with the AoE editors when i was younger, and then a few years later I got into the NWN scene. I stopped gaming pretty much all together for a good long while as a teenager with the exception of an occasional Madden game with some friends.

Then when I was a Junior in Highschool, my mother, desperate to get me to do something with my life (I had been working as a street vender for a carnival for 6 years prior), introduced me to some program called zbrush since she knew i liked to doodle. Our home computer wasn't strong enough to run it, so she let me download the trial on her work computer, and I was hooked.

I saw all the awesome stuff on pixologic's site and then later was introduced to u guys here at PC, and I saw the bar, and told myself I was going to help set it one day.... which has not happened lol. buuut, a boy can dream.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I knew after looking at Quake, Unreal, and community skins from Skindom & Polycount. The process of flat texture painting blew my mind and i loved it - knew from there that it was what I wanted to do with art. After working on some mods it was even more clear that it was my passion.

Game development is a very collaborative process, and that was another part that really appealed to me. Helps that I also love playing games, so it was a double-win.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    [HP] wrote: »
    It does?

God no. haha.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Messing around with Halo's forge and a lesser known game Tibia's map editor. I love exploring and creating environments.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Somehow...

Somehow I've always known.
  • know-it-null
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The voices in my head tell me to plot the same 6 vertices every 12 hours or everybody dies. ;)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I've always known that it was my calling but who knew that one would be able to achieve the dream? Working for a AAA-dev seemed like such a faraway dream, then one day I just decided to go for it 200% and 1-year later I got my first job in the industry. Working for an AAA-gamedev.

Hard work, knowing the right people and to some extent luck :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Rens wrote: »
    ff9 [...] made me do it.

Same here. I played games and was interested in making them for as long as I remember, but it was FFIX that made me go "Holy shit! THAT is what I want to do".

How disappointed I was when I realized that no one makes these fairy-tale-like-fantasy games anymore :poly122: Well, except for Fumito Ueda, but he's in Japan and I still suck. So either way I'm fucked :poly142:

Rens: Is Legend of the Dragoon that good? I might pick it up and play on PSX emu.